Question Highest elevation suspension bridge in Australia ?? Does the new Spencers Creek Bridge take this honour?

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne
Question for the Australian mountain and alpine areas brains trust?

I have been asked a question about the new suspension bridge over Spencers Creek as part of the Snowies Iconic walk developments which is at approximately 1640m ASL. (about 20M higher elevation than the Illawong bridge over the Snowy Rv).

Will this make the new bridge the highest elevation suspension bridge in Australia? A pretty underwhelming honour and claim to fame I know, but have been asked whether this is the case.

Can anyone advise of a similar structure (suspension bridge) in Australia at a similar or higher elevation than this one ????

TIA

Last edited:
Reactions: skifree

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne
Refer Myazmas' - Snowies iconic Walk Thread.
Photo stolen from and Photo credit to Myazma:

IMG_20210513_081214.jpg

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Are there any other suspension bridges in KNP?

I'm not aware of any up on the Vicco High Plains.

There are a few suspension bridges in Tas, I can't think of any up high. Highest might be on the route to Frenchman's Cap?

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra

There are a few suspension bridges in Tas, I can't think of any up high. Highest might be on the route to Frenchman's Cap?

There are a couple on the Thredbo Valley track from memory. Obviously lower in elevation.

teletripper

One of Us
Aug 4, 2007
Jindabyne

Thanks Skifree for the feedback. Yep, I've drawn a blank response on any other suspension bridges in KNP or any other similar kind of structure in KNP at a higher elevation in Oz.

Interestingly, there is historical references to an earlier suspension bridge crossing of the Snowy River just upstream near where the current management vehicle ford and ‘stepping stones’ crossing is, near where the old Foremans Hut chimney is. (referenced as Walker Bridge (1954-57) on the map in a historical research document by David Scott (KHA), it would have been at about 1750mASL) This bridge was swept away in a flood in 1958 according to an Australian Alpine Club reference document for Illawong Hut. (Probably the same 1958 flood that accounted for the original Illawong suspension bridge??). If anyone has photos or other information on this other earlier Snowy River suspension bridge, I'd be interested.

The only other close one is the suspension bridge over the Tumut River on the Hume and Hovell Track, but it is at much lower elevation and is on private/ crown land just out of KNP.

As to the Frenchmans Cap walk, yes there are suspension bridges on the Franklin and Loddon River crossings for this walk, but as the summit of Frenchmans is at 1446m it looks like the new Spencers Ck bridge at approx. 1640m elevation takes the title, unless others can inform otherwise.

TT

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
I have a bit more info compiled by David on the walker bridge. It was constructed by the Ski Tourers Association. More info can be found in the 1954 Australian Ski Yearbook. I’ve got a very blurry pic of it.

"For the last three years we had asked the Kosciusko State Park Trust to erect a simple footbridge across the Snowy near Foreman's Chimney, to enable lodge users and Main Range tourers to cross the Snowy without the usual aerobatic efforts. The Trust advised regretfully that for once they could not assist us, as they had no labour available for this job. With the prospect of the Northcote Ski Tow operating we felt that it was imperative to get some sort of structure erected for use in spring and early summer; a time when there is usually a great deal of snow in the Kunama basin but not much around the Chalet, a time when days are longer, the weather kinder and visitors from the Chalet can flock to Kunama, provided they can cross the Snowy dry‐footed.

"With the limited flnances and labour at our disposal the chances for this bridge seemed dim indeed . However one of our staunchest supporters, Jimmy Walker, at Easter decided to take definite action. On his own initiative, together with Ian Curlewis and Margaret Anton, in three days he erected a wire suspension bridge with borrowed material just down stream from Foreman's Chimney. Although not entirely finished (planks have still to be laid across the treads), the bridge has already been used by a great many skiers. Across it Phil Simpson, who broke his leg last September, was carried on the rescue sledge to the waiting snowmobile on the other side of the river. The swaying structure, high Iip above the rushing Snowy, still proves a little terrifying for some users, but next season there will be a foot‐walk consisting of planks and the bridge will be further stayed with wire ropes."

I’d be happy to pass on David’s email if you want it.

There is also reference to another suspension bridge along the BNT called Murray River Suspension bridge near Tom Groggin. Its in the HHIMS database.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Thanks Skifree for the feedback. Yep, I've drawn a blank response on any other suspension bridges in KNP or any other similar kind of structure in KNP at a higher elevation in Oz.

Interestingly, there is historical references to an earlier suspension bridge crossing of the Snowy River just upstream near where the current management vehicle ford and ‘stepping stones’ crossing is, near where the old Foremans Hut chimney is. (referenced as Walker Bridge (1954-57) on the map in a historical research document by David Scott (KHA), it would have been at about 1750mASL) This bridge was swept away in a flood in 1958 according to an Australian Alpine Club reference document for Illawong Hut. (Probably the same 1958 flood that accounted for the original Illawong suspension bridge??). If anyone has photos or other information on this other earlier Snowy River suspension bridge, I'd be interested.

The only other close one is the suspension bridge over the Tumut River on the Hume and Hovell Track, but it is at much lower elevation and is on private/ crown land just out of KNP.

As to the Frenchmans Cap walk, yes there are suspension bridges on the Franklin and Loddon River crossings for this walk, but as the summit of Frenchmans is at 1446m it looks like the new Spencers Ck bridge at approx. 1640m elevation takes the title, unless others can inform otherwise.

TT
I've seen it referenced once but couldn't find the reference again, thanks for the reminder :)

https://www.khuts.org/images/stories/history/LodgesOnTheSummit_dscott_aug2013.pdf for the innerested :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass