News Himalaya visible from Indian Punjab for the first time in 30 years!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
Ahh the power of simple trigonometry!
The Great Arc by John Keay, about the survey of India. Starting with one measurement in the far south and hopping chain by chain northward. The greatest challenge was the Ganges plain because it was so flat that there were no objects on which to sight. They ended up building little towers on which to sight. The great arc was the central line off which branches sprouted east and west.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
The Great Arc by John Keay, about the survey of India. Starting with one measurement in the far south and hopping chain by chain northward. The greatest challenge was the Ganges plain because it was so flat that there were no objects on which to sight. They ended up building little towers on which to sight. The great arc was the central line off which branches sprouted east and west.
Yep, they studied their history.

Eratosthenes calculated the diameter of the Earth to within 2% accuracy around 250BC with 2 sticks and the sun (it could have been 1 stick and a wheel, but either way it was pretty damn impressive!)

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Everest was first seen by Europeans, and the first attempt to measure its height was made, from the Ganges plains. They did a pretty good job with the height - 28,799 feet.
That's incredible.

Impressive how accurate their equipment was, theodolite? Not to mention accurately measuring a distance between two points to set up the angles

Reactions: CarveMan

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I have spent time in Patiala & Amritsar in Indian Punjab and the Kangra valley as well as the Chamba Valley . The Dhauladhar range rises up from the valley floor to nearly 5000 M. ASL.

Trekking the passes over that said range is not for amateurs :-0

Places such as Dharmsala are situated on the lower flanks of this range.

When I was a boy aged 11 or 12 and I visited Pakistani Punjab , we could see the Pir Panjal range in Kashmir from our ancestral village on clear winter days. One would imagine such views on the Pakistani side would be re emerging too with a reduction in air pollution due to lockdown conditions across the sub continent.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Imagine the awe of those living in that region who are under the age of 30 who may never have seen that panorame before
Poor people living in the busy cities in Indian Punjab cannot afford to get on a bus and travel up to 12 hours to see this mountain range close up so it is remarkable in many ways. The Hindus believe that The Himalaya is the abode of Lord Shiv jee and it is the source of a number of holy rivers including the Ganga and the Yamuna.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Just a couple of maps to help people place the bustling town of Jalandhar in Punjab in the scheme of things in NW India and Pakistan.
Indian punjab map.jpg
punjab topo map.jpg

Reactions: cruisin along

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Have traveled a couple of times from Chandigarh to Manali. There were certainly no mountain views at those times. Although the trips were in the afternoon so was soon dark anyway.
There may even be some clear air in Delhi now which would certainly be unusual. Never liked being in Delhi more than a couple of days.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Have traveled a couple of times from Chandigarh to Manali. There were certainly no mountain view at those times. Although the trips were in the afternoon so was soon dark anyway.
There may even be some clear air in Delhi now which would certainly be unusual. Never liked being in Delhi more than a couple of days.

I have done that trip on a public bus over two days with a night halt at the HPTDC hotel in Mandi. You don't see that much when stuck inside a crowded public bus.

However the Kullu /Manali area is spectacular! .That Government hotel was the site of one of the funniest rats and mice on the loose in Indian restaurants and shops incidents I have the pleasure to experience /remember first hand.
The conversation was all in Hindi featuring your correspondent in the field and the Hotel Wallah.
I am translating for your enjoyment:

Mr. T.: "Waiter,Look there is a rat / mouse running across the table/bench/ cupboard!"( Bhai Sahib! dekho! oodher ek chua oos mez par daur raha hai!)
Hotel Wallah : "yes sir"( jee haan Sahib jee)
Mr.T: "what is it doing there?"( toh vahan par voh kya kar raha hai?)
Hotel Wallah: "it is probably hungry and looking for food sir".( Sahib jee, ho sakta hai keh oos ko bhookh lagi hui hai aur khaaney ke liye dhoondh raha hai !)
!
:-0

Last edited:

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have done that trip on a public bus over two days with a night halt at the HPTDC hotel in Mandi. You don't see that much when stuck inside a crowded public bus.

However the Kullu /Manali area is spectacular! .That Government hotel was the site of one of the funniest rats and mice on the loose in Indian restaurants and shops incidents I have the pleasure to experience /remember first hand.
The conversation was all in Hindi featuring your correspondent in the field and the Hotel Wallah.
I am translating for your enjoyment:

Mr. T.: "Look there is a rat / mouse running across the table/bench/ cupboard!"( Bhai Sahib! dekho! oodher ek chua oos mez par daur raha hai!)
Hotel Wallah : "yes sir"( jee haan Sahib jee)
Mr.T: "what is it doing there?"( toh vahan par voh kya kar raha hai?)
Hotel Wallah: "it is probably hungry and looking for food sir".( ho sakta hai keh oos ko bhookh lagi hui hai aur khaaney ke liye dhoondh raha hai !)
!
:-0
Is hamster!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass