Question Hiring for Kozzie

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
Heading to Kozzie this weekend. Have heard the snow is ok.

I'm flying to Canberra on Friday so I won't have my usual stix.

Where's the best place to hire XC gear in Jindy / Thredbo?

And would people recommend getting the Scenic Chairlift up from Thredbo? Or should we walk / ski from Charlotte Pass?

Reactions: Jacko4650

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.

And would people recommend getting the Scenic Chairlift up from Thredbo? Or should we walk / ski from Charlotte Pass?
My first suggestion would be a long, hard, serious look at the weather forecast.

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016

Good luck out there this weekend. I’d not be doing that if the forecast is correct...... Bruce at Wilderness in Jindy is the go for XC kit and Advice. Get some advice unless your a tenured expert in backcountry. I’m not.

Charlottes is only accessible by oversnow now. Road from Perisher is closed.

Good luck.

Reactions: Poppies

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Personally, with the forecast for the weekend, I wouldn't be going anywhere more adventurous than the Perisher trails. And those trails will be miserable - there won't be enough base to stop poles breaking through to the shrubbery beneath which is absolutely no fun at all.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Agree with @Legs Akimbo, IMO won't be much fun until after Monday off the tops. Skiing in high winds and heavy snow probably on Saturday, recipe for disaster at worst, shit day out at best.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Another vote For 'save your money' in this weather. Sorry. :)-(

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
Thanks everyone, this is why I post these questions!

Didn't realise the weather was quite going to be quite so bad this weekend (-6 to -8, 40km wind etc).

We'll be saving our money. Heading up Stirling the next weekend, so hopefully more luck with that.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Didn't realise the weather was quite going to be quite so bad this weekend (-6 to -8, 40km wind etc).

We'll be saving our money. Heading up Stirling the next weekend, so hopefully more luck with that.

Great idea matey. After 20 years or so I came to realise that while it's possible to survive the big storms in the BC, it's just no fun to be out in it. There's usually a fine spell a weekend or two later.

...Stirling will be pretty good once it hits half a metre or so....(soon?)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com

If you do ski in the KNP then visiting Wilderness sports and ski hire in Jindabyne is the way to go. They have all kinds of ski hire gear .I would recommend doing a KNP trip in September or even skiing The Main Range just after the season concludes. Even if the CP road is still closed on the second weekend in October you can ski up to CP via the pole line from Spencer's Creek car park and have a bit of a ski on the Main range from there. Start early if you do go because it becomes very soft in the spring sun by 12 noon.

You can hike/skin up past the tree line from Dead Horse Gap if you leave your car at DHG or hitch a ride so you don't have slog it back to your car after you return to Thredbo via the chairlift .The spring season allows more daylight for such BC trips. June days are so short , it doesn't allow much daylight to get well out and about and be safely back at your tent/ hut/ chalet by 4 pm.
Wait for the first groomers to go over the upper trails at Mt. Stirling.That way you won't be rock hopping and bugger up your skis.
The cold fronts are bringing snow this weekend :) but such weather is horse poo to be out and about in, so wait for it to pass and In`shAllah you will get some sunny days with a half decent base to ski on in the Vic. Alps at Mt. Stirling.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
If you do ski in the KNP then visiting Wilderness sports and ski hire in Jindabyne is the way to go. They have all kinds of ski hire gear .I would recommend doing a KNP trip in September or even skiing The Main Range just after the season concludes. Even if the CP road is still closed on the second weekend in October you can ski up to CP via the pole line from Spencer's Creek car park and have a bit of a ski on the Main range from there. Start early if you do go because it becomes very soft in the spring sun by 12 noon.
Wait for the first groomers to go over the upper trails at Mt. Stirling.That way you won't be rock hopping and bugger up your skis.
The cold fronts are bringing snow this weekend :) but such weather is horse poo to be out and about in, so wait for it to pass and In`shAllah you will get some sunny days with a half decent base to ski on in the Vic. Alps at Mt. Stirling.
How long have you been doing ski trips in KNP?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
How long have you been doing ski trips in KNP?
I first went in 2005.That is when and where I discovered snow shoe walking. I have been at least twice in the past two years. I went and hired ski gear from Jindy last year and skied from Spencer's creek to CP . I had fun. I went out to Carruther's Peak and the Blue lake in Snow Shoes the year before. That was a huge day out in perfect spring conditions.Being a Victorian , If I can manage the time then I come up in October to get some snow sports action after the season has died in VIC.I also bushwalk in the KNP partly to scout out ski terrain and also because I just enjoy exploring the area on foot in green season.

Reactions: Tanuki

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
I've skied at Lake Mountain, Stirling, St Gwinear, and Bogong.

Grew up skiing at Buller and Hotham.

Have never skied at Main Range, so all advice is good advice to me! What would people say is the best intermediate day trip?

I've got a pair of Madshus Epochs with tele bindings, as well as pair of Dynastar Legends w/ frame AT bindings.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
There are many options in the KNP. In mid spring many people ski from CP to Carruther's Peak. Others go from Thredbo top station to Mt. Kosci. and back. The sheltered terrain along the Horse camp hut aquaduct has appeal if you are coming from Guthega power station.Horse Camp hut would make a good base camp too.You could ski up to the Schlink Pass and back in a day from there if you are fit and start early.Some people ski from Dead Horse Gap to Cascade hut and back.The Main range can be scary in bad weather so having options with tree cover is good.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Have never skied at Main Range, so all advice is good advice to me! What would people say is the best intermediate day trip?

I've got a pair of Madshus Epochs with tele bindings, as well as pair of Dynastar Legends w/ frame AT bindings.
Guthega Trig from Guthega.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
There are many options in the KNP. In mid spring many people ski from CP to Carruther's Peak. Others go from Thredbo top station to Mt. Kosci. and back. The sheltered terrain along the Horse camp hut aquaduct has appeal if you are coming from Guthega power station.Horse Camp hut would make a good base camp too.You could ski up to the Schlink Pass and back in a day from there if you are fit and start early.Some people ski from Dead Horse Gap to Cascade hut and back.The Main range can be scary in bad weather so having options with tree cover is good.
Based on approximately 7 km of XC skiing in KNP.

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
I first went in 2005.That is when and where I discovered snow shoe walking. I have been at least twice in the past two years. I went and hired ski gear from Jindy last year and skied from Spencer's creek to CP . I had fun. I went out to Carruther's Peak and the Blue lake in Snow Shoes the year before. That was a huge day out in perfect spring conditions.Being a Victorian , If I can manage the time then I come up in October to get some snow sports action after the season has died in VIC.I also bushwalk in the KNP partly to scout out ski terrain and also because I just enjoy exploring the area on foot in green season.

I was looking at the Thredbo, but potentially Guthega (resort) access points for a late season 2018. If Spencer's creek saves the Oversnow and driving to Guthega - then it sounds like an option - can you park at the creek? Is the road open that late in the season? (Sounds like it is if you can drive to Guthega).

I am wondering as I'd prefer to not get the 'tube, oversnow etc, or indeed drive the long way around via Jindy towards Guthega..coming from VIC

I hope I make sense!

cheers

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
I was looking at the Thredbo, but potentially Guthega (resort) access points for a late season 2018. If Spencer's creek saves the Oversnow and driving to Guthega - then it sounds like an option - can you park at the creek? Is the road open that late in the season? (Sounds like it is if you can drive to Guthega).

I am wondering as I'd prefer to not get the 'tube, oversnow etc, or indeed drive the long way around via Jindy towards Guthega..coming from VIC

I hope I make sense!

cheers
Why would Mr Tee know?

They keep the Guthega Rd open all season. It can be dodgy at times.

The road may be open to Spencers Creek late in the season. It may not be. They will open it if it is clear of snow, and will clear it if it is still covered after the beginning of October when they get around to it. It is a year by year proposition.

Guthega gives you a lot of access, either across Illawong Bridge or via Guthega Ridge up to Tate or Consett Stephens Pass. Spencers Creek doesn't get you to much of anything. You still have a ski of a few km up to Charlottes.

If you are coming from Vic why not stop at Thredbo or Dead Horse Gap and play around in the Ramsheads.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

I hope I make sense!

cheers

You can always drive to Guthega, if the road isn’t actually snowed in that day. It’s cleared regularly and is a day tripper and overnight location.

The road to Charlotte Pass is closed at Perisher, basically from the Queens Birthday long weekend to Labour Day long weekend. It occasionally opens to Spencer’s a little earlier. There is no overnight parking at Perisher.

Driving to Spencer’s Creek is basically the same as driving to Guthega, maybe a few minutes difference, Guthega Road has some unsealed sections.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Why would Mr Tee know?

They keep the Guthega Rd open all season. It can be dodgy at times.

The road may be open to Spencers Creek late in the season. It may not be. They will open it if it is clear of snow, and will clear it if it is still covered after the beginning of October when they get around to it. It is a year by year proposition.

Guthega gives you a lot of access, either across Illawong Bridge or via Guthega Ridge up to Tate or Consett Stephens Pass. Spencers Creek doesn't get you to much of anything. You still have a ski of a few km up to Charlottes.

If you are coming from Vic why not stop at Thredbo or Dead Horse Gap and play around in the Ramsheads.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert at anything but I am enthusiastic and willing to help people if I can but of course being a Victorian I spend more time in the Vic. Alps.
However,
Just Because I have not skied a great deal in that area( KNP) does not mean I do not know about the terrain or the access. I go to the KNP twice a year for all sorts of activities including hiking and snow shoe trips. The 4 WD track in white season from the Guthega road to Smiggins Holes is shut. The road from Jindabyne to Guthega and Guthega Power station is open all year round .

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
I don't claim to be any kind of expert at anything but I am enthusiastic and willing to help people if I can but of course being a Victorian I spend more time in the Vic. Alps.
There are people with a lot more experience of KNP who are equally willing to help. A wise man knows what he doesn't know and stays silent. We all know who rushes in.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
However,
Just Because I have not skied a great deal in that area( KNP) does not mean I do not know about the terrain or the access. I go to the KNP twice a year for all sorts of activities including hiking and snow shoe trips. The 4 WD track in white season from the Guthega road to Smiggins Holes is shut. The road from Jindabyne to Guthega and Guthega Power station is open all year round .
The Link Road is just an unsealed road rather than a 4WD track.

For the trivia fans, it’s still a remaining State Road, classed as a Tourist Road.

It’d get graded more often but has a power cable running down the guts of it LOL

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
I will leave the KNP stuff to you LEGS. Go for it ,that is what they say these days.
Not just to me, although I have been going there in all seasons, several times a year, for over 45 years. I have had multiple trips to points from Kiandra to the Cascades. There are many people with greater experience.

I have walked the Bogong High Plains a couple of times, and skied around there a bit. Probably more experience than you have of KNP. But I would never stick my oar into a Victorian advice thread (except to have a bit of a giggle about Vic obsession with snow poles, dunnies and huts).

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016

Last season I asked a sort of similar question. The feedback was to have a crack from the top of Thredbo at Kosi and back via Cootapatamba Hut and Ramshead.

Did that via the chair from Thredbo on a cracking good day. Took 6 hours return on touring kit.

While out there I came across folks doing a trek to the top but from Dead Horse Gap, Cootapatamba then Kosi (return).

Either route is fine as a day out assuming you’ve done the needful, have appropriate kit and the weather forecast is conducive to a relatively safe walk.

Reactions: Total Whiteout

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Not just to me, although I have been going there in all seasons, several times a year, for over 45 years. I have had multiple trips to points from Kiandra to the Cascades. There are many people with greater experience.

I have walked the Bogong High Plains a couple of times, and skied around there a bit. Probably more experience than you have of KNP. But I would never stick my oar into a Victorian advice thread (except to have a bit of a giggle about Vic obsession with snow poles, dunnies and huts).
Don't you dare knock our beloved huts, pit loos and snow poles!! ;-P. Team Bears and I are very strong advocates of such things in the ANP.

Reactions: Total Whiteout

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
Don’t worry about legs Mr tees, he’s the resident ******* across all threads from bear pit to trip reports.
He needs his fix and you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time
Some people just have nothing better to do with their lives besides critising others trying to be helpful

pegasusSki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 18, 2015
Thanks everyone - I have been mentally listing all the access points to the NSW backcountry....just wasn't clear on the roads themselves. I quite fancy the Guthega access, just wasn't sure on the additional driving.

I have friends in Coryong which breaks up the drive from Melbourne.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass