1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring gear in Hakuba

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by macz3000, Jul 29, 2019.

1. macz3000

macz3000 First Runs

Hey all,
    I'm heading to Hakuba for a couple of weeks in January and will need to hire gear.
    Doing a bit of research beforehand and it seems that Rhythm is generally the most recommended hire shop (correct me if i'm wrong). However, when looking through their website at prices etc for hiring, it seems you have to hire snowboard bindings separately? And for the same price as hiring boots? Is this correct? I've never had to hire bindings separately before, it seems bizarre.
    Any information would be great! =)

This is the webpage where I found the info: https://www.rhythmjapan.com/rentals/snowboard-hire/

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Couple of weeks?
    $$$$$
    I'd buy in Tokyo

Sandy likes this.
  3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It looks like 4100/4400 yen per day to hire.
    Over a fortnight. That's alot of money

4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Definitely buy in Tokyo.
    2 weeks rental, 33,900yen for standard board/bindings/boots, or 46,800yen for premium.

If not premium, you can probably get a package in Tokyo ski shop area for less than 30,000yen.

5. macz3000

macz3000 First Runs

Thanks for the info! I was a bit loose with the dates, we're actually only there for 10 days, planning on boarding for around 8 of them.
    I guess I was pretty misleading when I said we were going for 2 weeks, my apologies.
    Plus, we're doing some travelling before our final stop in Hakuba. So we'll be arriving from Kyoto, not Tokyo.

6. chairmanmeow

chairmanmeow Early Days

If you book with Rhythm before August 31st there is a 15% discount, if that helps.

I will also be heading to Hakuba for about 6-7 days of skiing in 2020 and have decided to take the plunge and buy my first skis in Tokyo :) Just made sense to when 1-2 sessions of renting added up to the price of my own gear.

If you're coming from Kyoto, maybe consider a slight detour to Nagano or Matsumoto? Nagano definitely has boards for sale, I read about a few stores in Matsumoto as well but can't advise on selection. Nagoya may be an option as well but again never been there personally. Good luck

macz3000 likes this.
  7. silva

silva One of Us

Hiring gear in Japan is not cheap when compared to hiring in Australia for more than a couple of days. In Aus the rates drop dramatically if you hire for more than a couple of days, this is not the case in Japan.

Rhythm in Hakuba will set you back Y34800 for premium and Y26300 for standard snowboard gear (board, bindings and boots) but if you book on their website before August 31 you will get a 15% discount using code EBPOW2020.
    One other store to recommend would be Central Snowsports. They have 3 locations in Hakuba and like Rhythm will pick you up and drop you off to get you set up with gear. They are similarly priced (based on 2019 prices) Y33800 for 8 or 9 days premium package and Y25000 for 8 of 9 days standard snowboard package.
    So you will be looking at around $57A per day for premium and $42A per day for standard package hire. In comparison 8 days hire of standard gear (board, bindings, boots) from Rhythm in Australia works out at $17 per day and 2019 demo gear is $24 per day if hiring for 8 days.

macz3000 and LMB like this.