1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring Ski Gear in Syd to take to Japan?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by LeonA, Oct 2, 2019.

1. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

Hi all,

I have a multi-resort trip over new year 19/20 - Picking up a car at Nagano and spending a few days at Nozawa and a few at Shiga Kogen, probably hitting a couple of others as day trips. Looking for some advice on whether I should rent ski gear for my 11 year old son when I get there (i.e rent and return in both of the above resorts) or simply rent in Sydney and take it with me.

Stretch question - might there be a rental store in or near Nagano itself (or somewhere else on the main road) that would make my life easier (!?)

If we hire in Sydney, snow skiers warehouse looks to be a good option for hiring at that time of year. Any others?

He is 155cm but has adult sized 9 feet and we'd be hoping to get something a cut above typical rental gear in a 150 and 80-90 width... Not ready to buy for him yet as he's growing a couple of mm per day it seems...!

Thanks!

2. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

The Japanese have a slightly different attitude to hiring skis than us IMO. Typically you hire gear at the resort you are skiing at. The concept of hiring at one place and skiing at another isn't that popular.

3. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi, how long will you be hiring for?

4. grantn

grantn Addicted

The only ski and snowboard shops I've seen in Nagano are retail, I haven't seen any hire shops. I would presume most hire options will be based at the resorts - Shiga, Nozawa, Hakuba etc. There are quite a few good hire options in Nozawa, the best and cheapest in my opinion is Sport Thanx. They are one of the cheaper places too, but have a good range. Can't comment on Shiga.

5. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

3 days in each base resort

6. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you had time to shop in Kanda you could buy skis for the hire price,

7. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

+1 - buy skis & boots at your 1st stop & take it from there.

Hyst likes this.
  8. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

Well we do have a day in Tokyo and I would love to spend some time in the ski stores, but looking at the recent thread on buying skis in Kanda, it didn't look any cheaper than what's currently on sale in Aus - For instance, these (plus basic 7-9 DIN bindings) are selling for around $499 (36,000 JPY). Admittedly they are this season's - and I would be happy buying anything from the last few years. Would I be taking a risk leaving it to buy there?

Boots I'm really not sure on - he's going to go up a few more sizes yet (I assume from size 9 at age 11 he will reach 12 maybe?) .... Having said that, I would be expecting him to have a least 10 ski days across 2020 and maybe if he's lucky another overseas trip early 2021 - maybe it stacks up?

Thanks everyone for all the info and comments !!!

9. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Kanda is full of ski shops with thousands of pairs of skis. Places like London sports have massively reduced stock from previous season and you will get a bargain if you are flexible with make/model etc
    If you get the frequent buyer card and spend some small amounts of money you can often get 25%off something that is already discounted a couple of times.
    eg I bought 3 x sets pants and jackets which were discounted, they then had a sale and discounted them off the already discounted price and then with my multi purchase card got another 25% off at checkout.
    I bought $2186 retail of gear for $680 ish

Mitchell Pearce and Chaeron like this.
  10. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Chaeron likes this.
  11. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

OMG amazing! Great tip! I'm going to end up coming home with a pile of turntables and amplifiers at this rate, will have to start looking onto the ANA baggage rules :)
    -- Edit: If that sounds weird, i'm into collecting old hifi and stuff...

fennekeg, M_G and Chaeron like this.
  12. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

I'll be hitting the Tokyo ski stores for some new ski boots. I've got tiny feet so I'm hoping, being Japan means they'll actually have my size!

fennekeg and Chaeron like this.
  13. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Several months ago, the biggest outdoor gear store of Japan opened near Narita Airport(It's not very near, though). It's Alpen's flagship store. It's very huge. But, there are a lot of ski gear shops in Tokyo which are walking distance from train stations, so I don't recommend you are visiting the Alpen's flagship store, though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#13 Ramenman, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Melskius likes this.
  14. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

I've travelled with a son that age and frankly, if you are just staying at the two resorts, then hire his gear there. Kids hire rates are usually cheaper than adults.

Stuffing around with trying to buy gear that you will then have to lug around with you then sell or give away within 12 months is more trouble than it is worth. Spend the time doing fun stuff instead. VR World at Shinjuku is a must dad and son visit and way more fun than shopping.

By all means stop into the second hand places when you land on Nagano and if you get lucky with a bargain on the way in great, but don't count on it, especially getting the exact sizing for kids stuff. At least with hiring you will get exactly what he needs and can change it at any time.

EDIT: Anything you buy an 11yo will not fit 6 months later. And I mean everything. Keep it simple.

Dumphfish, grantn and Froff Life like this.
  15. silva

silva One of Us

I thought this - then I discovered that a lot of brands use a different last for boots made for the Asian market. If you have flat, narrow feet they may fit well but if (like me) you have small feet but high arches then boots made with a ladies Asian last (mould) are agony.

16. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

Sob :cry:

It's hard enough finding boots as it is with my teeny feet and living in Adelaide. My other option is getting fitted at Rhythm at Hakuba.

17. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There are other options in Hakuba and Tokyo.

18. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

How small are your feet?

19. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

To tell you the truth, I hadn't heard of (nor even thought about it) Asian fit ski boots, but I tried to look it up. I couldn't find any ski boots, but I did find some Asian fit snowboard boots.
    I've never had any problem with ski boot fit in Japan, so I think that perhaps that many/most ski boots in Japan are identical, with a certain proportion being Asian fit ski boots.
    It seems that rather than Asian feet being "flat, narrow feet", they are actually:
    "Asian feet are to begin with much smaller than western feet, on average about 2 cm shorter. Moreover, the instep is lower, they are wider and less bony, plus the heels are more cupped if you see them in profile, which can make a difference between Asian manufacturers’ shoes and European."
    So Asian feet are generally flat, but wider feet. I do know that my daughter had problems with smaller ski boots (they cut her across the front just where the arch meets the ankle). She is now 22yo, but when I bought her last boots 5+ years ago, they were size 225... her feet are tiny, and they are actually children's boots!!! ;)

20. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for hiring at both resorts. Saves you and your youngster having to lug around gear and means you can swap out equipment if there's a big powder dump. Wait until he stops growing then invest in skis and boots (boots first).

Paradox likes this.
  21. chicski

My boots are 22 mondo, women’s boots. My daughter is a size smaller. I’ve never had a problem finding boots.

22. Kimski

Kimski One of Us

22.5 in most makes of boot. It’s pretty much the smallest women’s boot you can buy before getting into children’s sizes. Even when I asked at the main ski shops in Sydney most don’t have them in store, they need to order them in (I’m in Adelaide).

I have my own boots but they’ve never been quite right despite getting them fitted in store so I’m pretty keen to get a new pair this trip so I can finally throw my current pair away.

23. chicski

I’m a 22 and have never had a problem, but I lived in Jindabyne.

24. Donzah

I saw heaps of 22's in Ladies in Tokyo
    Mrs Donza has Japanese boots. Small feet and large calves .
    Here is a decent website for a online ski shop in Japan
    https://tanabesports.net/index_en_usd_177-201.html

gives you an idea of costs and sizes @Kimski

Kimski likes this.
  25. Mitchell Pearce

Mitchell Pearce One of Us

The extra baggage cost on Skis isn't cheap. I wouldn't hire in Oz then travel with them from a cost point of view.

26. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I know sometimes meanings are a little garbled when translating between Japanese and English, but maybe someone can let them know they aren't snowboards LOL

M_G and LMB like this.
  27. silva

silva One of Us

Yep, its the lower instep which is a problem for me - anything made to a Asian last pushes down on the top of my foot and makes it numb in a matter of minutes as I have high arches. It was several years ago that I was looking at boots in Japan. The technician told me about the difference in the boots mould. He said that the Asian last had a lower instep (flatter) and that the female last was narrower than the male last of the same length while in western last boots the female last is wider than the male for the same length. This is also a "thing" in cycling shoes. Not many manufacturers will mention it on their website - not politically correct. Asian fit goggles are apparently acceptable though (and I always look for them as they fit me really well).

28. Donzah

? It doesn't cost anymore to travel with a ski bag on most airlines that fly to Japan
    *excluding J*

Mitchell Pearce likes this.
  29. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

How much does it cost to hire for a week? Surely when you amortise over a couple of trips just buying your skis becomes more economic?

not answering the question directly but unless you’re seeking to avoid the hassle of carrying skis with you then buying must be the better option. As I see it anyway

30. Donzah

Hiring is extortion in Japan IMO . Relative to the cost of the skis

Sandy likes this.
  31. Sandy

Realistically, you just need to find boots that are the regular boots.
    Asian fit goggles are not so very different... they usually just have extra padding in the nose area, with the same frame. This is true on Oakleys and Carrera for sure, and others as well.

32. Sandy

I reckon this is true.
    You could at least buy the skis & bindings, which are often dirt cheap. And if you buy the rental bindings, they have a big adjustment.

Kimski likes this.
  33. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

But it's an 11yo boy we are talking about. You are not going to get a couple of trips out of it, at least for the boots anyway. Hiring boots binding and ski's in 2 lots of 4 or 5 day blocks will probably cost around AUD$300 or so in Japan. Unless he wants to spend the first days of the holiday trawling shops for bargains you are not going to buy gear for anything like that, but for the price I can see the temptation.....

Cheapest option is probably to do as OP suggests and hire boots and ski's in Syd. Probably get change from $100 for a kids set.....

LMB likes this.
  34. tdc

tdc Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

We hired in Sydney when the kids were younger and we were visiting multiple resorts.

The shop gave us a good rate, quality gear and ski and boot bags as it is a quiet time for their hire gear

Paradox likes this.
  35. Sandy

Actually, that's not true. I've bought kids gear for my daughter at times for less than that.
    e.g. Kids race skis with bindings, 21,000yen. Kids snowboard, boots, bindings & bag for 18,000yen.

In fact, I'll have a quick look at kids skis and bindings to see what's around, and I'll post the results in the Tokyo gear thread.

Paradox likes this.
  36. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

I'm sure that will help the OP, and probably a few others in the same boat and thinking the same thing (me for one)... although don't forget he is a men's size 9 foot!!

37. Donzah

Don't forget the retail ski shops in Nagano. They often have good deals....

38. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Just weighing in.

My own experience has been with snowboards rather than skis and we have been through a heap! It’s been cheaper to buy than hire over the lifetime of the gear, even the boots that got 6 wears (but then got stolen by me and used to death).

I’ve sold off and given away a lot of outgrown gear over the years, and perhaps buying secondhand is an option, although time is ticking.

I’ve also had to rent gear when a stuff up in the board I wanted to buy occurred - I used it as a demo week and the cost was justified for the trialing of so many varied boards.

However if the family want to hire, they should hire. If they’re worried about not finding the right gear in Japan and want to hire in Sydney, go for it.

Loads of ideas, advice and suggestions here.
    What the OP does with it is now up to them.

39. Sandy

Well, I'll post what I see in the buying gear in Tokyo thread (in the equipment forum)
    I bought a pair of Blizzard Brahma skis in the Tokyo ski shop area earlier this year for 52,000yen with bindings.
    And also some gear for friends, Salomon XPro 90 boots for 26,000yen

Kimski and gareth_oau like this.
  40. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Good to hear from someone who has done it. I have to say, for the OP's situation with a kid that changes size from week to week it is the option that would be appealing to me.

41. Donzah

Yeah - with this in mind i'd rent. From Australia.
    I wouldn't buy for a kid growing that fast.
    Ski boots have zero resale value . Skis a bit more.

I'd dangle a carrot at a couple of the snow hire places in Sydney. For a out of season rental.
    I'm not keen on stuffing around renting at a resort , when I could be sliding.

42. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

o_O
    Oh dear...
    I’ve just realised @The real ripa is a prankster poster. Welcome to the circus.
    LOL
    And obviously ignore my helpful post on your query about jumps.

43. LeonA

LeonA Hard Yards

Wowsers - I took my eye off the thread for a week and you guys have rally come through - Thanks for all of the information, and potential ratification of my original plan - BUT.... I have to say, the idea of trawling around ski shops *is* attractive to both of us - not for boots which I agree he will 100% grow out of before we even get to Jindabyne 7 months later... But skis and adjustable bindings, might be a go.

On the way up to Nozawa, we will have the luxury of using a baggage service to send stuff forwards, so I like the idea of not needing to carry much.... If we've bought a new pair of skis, so be it, no real drama. But on the final day home it's more tricky - It will be a Saturday afternoon in Shiga Kogen, and we will be checked out of the hotel. Bags will be in the car, which we need to get back to Nagano and then get the train all the way down to Haneda to check in for the 22:30 flight, so no later than 21:00 I guess. Having to drop rental gear off locally might be a real PITA...

We'll be in the Alpenburg at Shiga - pretty central I think? https://goo.gl/maps/GHDVb3DWtSumeCqn9

So looking at all the options, I think the idea of carrying it all from Sydney is nice, cheap, but doesn't allow for changes and means we have a lot to lug around on the way home (although we will have the car at the resorts, but no luxury of baggage service for the way home)
    Buying skis only in Tokyo could be a good option, but definitely hire boots.
    Checking out the op shops will be fun and we'll try and duck in, but I won't rely on it for the boy - maybe I'll find myself some planks fatter than my 105's though!?
    Finally, hiring and returning at Nozawa and then again Shiga Kogen as the fall back plan. Looking at the above map, we are likely central to a lot of shops.

Bring it on I say :)

44. Sandy

Shiga Kogen is very spread out. Where your hotel is located, it may seem centrally located, but there is not much out there..... there's a cluster of 5 hotels, but that's about it. Realistically, Shiga Kogen is a very typical old style Japanese resort.
    In fact, there's not a lot of shops anywhere at Shiga kogen. I'm even doubtful that you will have a reasonable place to hire in that area. (where the gear is not 10 years old). Better areas for hiring options are around Ichinose and the Prince Hotel at Yakebitaiyama.

Paradox likes this.