Hokkaido - Season 2017 less beaten track options

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Guess Im glass half full.
The scenery in there is world class, something most of Japan simply cannot claim.

Looks pretty feasible to get up early and head to Pippu for the morning, then take a drive up the gorge to Sounkyo, onsen, drive back to Asahikawa. Seems like its definitely worth a look but I'll skip the hotels

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
We are basing in niseko but will be tripping out fairly regularly and doing overnight stays around the place through the whole of january. keen to visit a heap of different mountains.
Also have a spare room if your coming through niseko for the night.

Trying to keep some costs down so would definitely be interested. Are you based in Melbourne mate? If so would be good to catch up and have a beer and a chat.

Chondro

One of Us
Jul 8, 2013
Victoria
Trying to keep some costs down so would definitely be interested. Are you based in Melbourne mate? If so would be good to catch up and have a beer and a chat.

Nah, I'm up in Mildura. Do travel to melbourne fairly regularly tho so will shoot you a PM when we are down next

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Looks pretty feasible to get up early and head to Pippu for the morning, then take a drive up the gorge to Sounkyo, onsen, drive back to Asahikawa. Seems like its definitely worth a look but I'll skip the hotels

The ice village is definitely worth a visit for an hour or so - looks great in the evening - but is cold.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
The ice village is definitely worth a visit for an hour or so - looks great in the evening - but is cold.
What dates is the Ice village on? I looked by couldn't find any.
We'll be there week beginning 30th Jan

Ralph_implement

A Local
Oct 2, 2009
Best trip I had to Hokkaido was when we stayed in Asahikawa. You are staying in a decent sized town with all that goes along with it, and then drive to either Kamui, Asahidake, Kurodake, Furano and a few others (all within an hour or so). It's a good option IMO.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Yeah, it is different from the Sapporo & Asahikawa snow fests - think it runs most of winter.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/central-hokkaido-2014.64458/page-2#post-2204429

Nice pics!
Tokachi looks fun but as I am a snowboarder with no snowshoes I wont be going there this time
I'll come back with a splitboard some day

How is the drive out from Asahikawa to there? Coming from dodgy NZ roads I found Hokkaido roads effing excellent and easy to drive even in winter. Driving at night is still something I would try to avoid if possible, but it looks like its best to go at night

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Best trip I had to Hokkaido was when we stayed in Asahikawa. You are staying in a decent sized town with all that goes along with it, and then drive to either Kamui, Asahidake, Kurodake, Furano and a few others (all within an hour or so). It's a good option IMO.

I don't need any convincing.
Furano is like that too, plus skiing is a 5 min drive if you just can't be assed driving anywhere

I think perhaps we should still prop up how good Niseko is and all the other people will know they should just go there and leave Central Hokkaido alone

Ralph_implement

A Local
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, I have stayed in Furano too, but preferred staying in Asahikawa just because it offered a bit more at night.

I don't think you have to worry about central Hokkaido becoming too overcrowded real soon. ;)

oreo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2007
www.skidescent.com
How is the drive out from Asahikawa to there? Coming from dodgy NZ roads I found Hokkaido roads ****ing excellent and easy to drive even in winter. Driving at night is still something I would try to avoid if possible, but it looks like its best to go at night

It's an easy drive, road is well maintained as it's a thoroughfare highway for Asahikawa <-> Kitami (and also the Tokachi plains). There is very little incline angle on the road up until Kurodake. No 'hill climbing'.

Aesthetically, it's great, if you drive in daylight you have an awesome view of the northern peaks of the Diasetsuzan National Park (Aibetsu, Pippu, Ryouun and Kuro), which are some of the more spectacular reliefs in Hokkaido. The terrain there is much more like the Japanese Alps in Honshu, Europe or Canada.

Last edited:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Aesthetically, it's great, if you drive in daylight you have an awesome view of the northern peaks of the Diasetsuzan National Park (Aibetsu, Pippu, Ryouun and Kuro), which are some of the more spectacular reliefs in Hokkaido. The terrain there is much more like the Japanese Alps in Honshu, Europe or Canada.

Very true.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
I'm finding a lot accom around rusutsu and Furano already booked out or very expensive for feb '17 - anyone else experienced this?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass