Holly Crawford and Nate Johnstone win World Championships

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Less than 48 hours after Alex Pullin claimed Gold at the Snowboard World Championships Australia's Holly Crawford and Nathan Johnstone have completed a stunning double act to take Australias tally to 3 Gold and lead all Nations on the medal tally.

AIS-NSWIS scholarship holders Holly Crawford and Nathan Johnstone created one of Australia’s greatest moments in winter sports with their victories in the Half Pipe event overnight.

The dual Gold medals touch come just 48 hours after Alex “Chumpy†Pullin became the snowboard cross World Champion, securing a historic first win for Australia.

The incredible achievements in Spain this week, combined with Torah Bright’s heroic gold medal at last year’s Olympic Winter Game in Vancouver , have clearly elevated Australia to international snowboard powerhouse status.

For 26-year-old Crawford and 20-year-old Johnstone, both from NSW’s Perisher resort, the World titles are their highest achievements.

Crawford grabbed the lead in her first run with a stunning performance despite a testing howling wind that caused havoc for most of the other athletes. .

She finished on 26.7 points, 3.3 points ahead of Swiss rider Ursina Haller with China’s Jiayu Liu making up the other podium place with 22.5 points.

Johnstone also secured his championship in the first run and, like his teammate, handled the conditions better than the other 12 finalists finishing on 26.8 points, 0.6 ahead of Switzerland’s Iouri Podladtchikov. Fin Markus Malin was in third place, a further 2.5 points behind the Australian.

For Johnstone, the win will erase the bitter disappointment of fracturing an ankle in a routine training mishap 12 months ago, which wiped out his dream of competing in the Vancouver Games .

Crawford, a veteran of five years on Australia’s national team and 11 World Cup podiums, now adds a gold medal to the silver she won in the 2009 World Championships in Gangwon, Korea.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Nate had earned the highest score with fs 10 indy, cab 7 lien, fs 9 indy, back 9 lien plus a huge fs air and thus was crowned the worthy World Champion. “I worked hard for this event and am very happy about sticking my tricks and grabbing Gold.â€

However, it was a close battle with Podladtchikov, fourth ranked rider of the last Olympics, who had scored 26.2 points in his first run (bs air, front 10 tail, cab 10 double cork mute, front 5 indy, alley oop indy), going all or nothing in run two by stomping an even higher backside air to fs 10 and a cab 10 double cork on which he unfortunately slammed hard.

Malin had jumped on third with the best performance in the final run bringing down a massive fs air, bs 9, fs 1080 double cork, cab 7, fs 7 and a sw bs air to finish things off (24.3).

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
BigWaveDave said:
Donza said:
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Wild ... where Torah and Shaun competing ?

Nah they do the pro tour.

I assume from the above comment that this event is amateurs only? If its a world champs shouldnt the best of the best be there?
No..they are all pro..

there is a very hazy distinction between FIS snowboard (ski) and the various pro tours mountain dew , TTR ., X-games etc.

it all fell to bits around the time snowboarding was first allowed in the games.
Nagano 1998.
The competitive aspect of snowboarding is factionlised.
I think all the elements come together at the Olympics nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
BigWaveDave said:
OK cool. Maybe I can start up my own faction and be world champ too.....
laugh.gif

its not quite that bad
this is the FIS world champs
this is the organisation that peeps use to get into the Olympics..
eg Nate beat the guy who got 4th at the Olympics

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
P

PolePlant

scottski said:
For Johnstone, the win will erase the bitter disappointment of fracturing an ankle in a routine training mishap 12 months ago, which wiped out his dream of competing in the Vancouver Games .

Great comeback for him to get over the low.

Phalanx

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2005
Donza said:
BigWaveDave said:
Donza said:
Dr. Wood Duck said:
Wild ... where Torah and Shaun competing ?

Nah they do the pro tour.

I assume from the above comment that this event is amateurs only? If its a world champs shouldnt the best of the best be there?
No..they are all pro..

there is a very hazy distinction between FIS snowboard (ski) and the various pro tours mountain dew , TTR ., X-games etc.

it all fell to bits around the time snowboarding was first allowed in the games.
Nagano 1998.
The competitive aspect of snowboarding is factionlised.
I think all the elements come together at the Olympics nowadays.

A friend of mine was telling me that a lot of the top guys have their contracts connected to results in the Mountain Dew series which overlaps meaning they can not attend the FIS events. Do you know anything about this?

yamasaki

First Runs
Feb 9, 2011
Thank you ^^

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass