Question Holy Sh#t Batman, my skins have gone gooey!

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hail Brains trust, I seek your deep dark knowledge,

Just checked my skins in the hope that we come out of lock down, and I am like a bot out of hell into those mountains into that white stuff.

Help !!!
Like I have said the glue on my skins have gone gooey! and like Sticky on my other skins for my other split. It looks like the glue has run, this is odd as they are stoed with three other sets of skins.
I haven't encountered this before. Can someone please explain what has happened and how I can fix the problem if there is a problem. Will they work the way they are?

thanks in advance everyone !!

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Just checked my skins in the hope that we come out of lock down, and I am like a bot out of hell into those mountains into that white stuff.

Help !!!
Like I have said the glue on my skins have gone gooey! and like Sticky on my other skins for my other split. It looks like the glue has run, this is odd as they are stoed with three other sets of skins.
I haven't encountered this before. Can someone please explain what has happened and how I can fix the problem if there is a problem. Will they work the way they are?

AFAIK the glue is shot. You can clean it off and re-glue or save yourself a lot of pain and time and just buy new skins.

Brains trust may know betterer.

Bloke

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2011
Sydney

Help !!!

I have had success restoring sticky glue by laying baking paper over the glue and ironing. I’d try that before going the full glue replacement route

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
In some cases, use baking paper, shiny side down (on the glue) and iron on. Do this several times. It can remove the top layer of runny glue and it also smooths and hardens the remaining glue. It does not always work, depending on the extent of the glue deterioration and of course, dont use your work shirts iron, it leaves a bit of a mess. Are the skins G3? If so, I'd agree with Fonzie Baer, just throw them away.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
In some cases, use baking paper, shiny side down (on the glue) and iron on. Do this several times. It can remove the top layer of runny glue and it also smooths and hardens the remaining glue. It does not always work, depending on the extent of the glue deterioration and of course, dont use your work shirts iron, it leaves a bit of a mess. Are the skins G3? If so, I'd agree with Fonzie Baer, just throw them away.
The Skins are G3, off my Jones explorer split,

I'll give this a crack Telenomore.. hopefully it works or I will have to go down the route of reglueing..bugger didn't need this !!!!! F"#k !!!

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul

Help !!!

Sounds like they need re-gluing or replacing.

I've re-glued mine, funnily enough during last year's lockdown. Haven't had the chance to use yet.

My experience? It is quite the effort and if you cbf for the sake of $200 or whatever new skins cost then fair enough. BUT... lockdown and frenzy pre-season for gear it mightn't be so easy (or fast depending if post from USA is needed) to just buy new ones..

And you likely have lots of time on your hands during lockdown. Your call...

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
The Skins are G3, off my Jones explorer split,

I'll give this a crack Telenomore.. hopefully it works or I will have to go down the route of reglueing..bugger didn't need this !!!!! F"#k !!!
I've got a set of G3s I won at Splitfest a few years ago. Never been used, same sticky result, same storage as voile skins.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
glue isn't that important. A few weeks back the daughetr used a 20 year old set of BCA skins that have been abused and stored in a dusty garage in hot and cold Dubbo or similar. Glue is almost non existent - but the skins stick to the ski and stay on. Similar for me on a 15 yr old pair. its all about nice tight tip and tail clips IME.

Reactions: telenomore

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
The problem with the batch of bad G3 glue is the residual glue left on the base of the board or ski. The skins coming off is not a problem. The residual glue can pretty much stop you sliding. Handling them also makes a mess as it sticks to hands, gloves, outside the skin bag etc. If you do have skin with some of this batch of glue the baking paper trick above works to an extent but i'd also recommend carrying a small rag soaked in a citrus degreaser or wax remover in a s small plastc screw top container. You can use this to clean your ski base if this problems occurs in the backcountry.

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The problem with the batch of bad G3 glue is the residual glue left on the base of the board or ski. The skins coming off is not a problem. The residual glue can pretty much stop you sliding. Handling them also makes a mess as it sticks to hands, gloves, outside the skin bag etc. If you do have skin with some of this batch of glue the baking paper trick above works to an extent but i'd also recommend carrying a small rag soaked in a citrus degreaser or wax remover in a s small plastc screw top container. You can use this to clean your ski base if this problems occurs in the backcountry.
Thus removing the wax on the splitboard or Skis. Hmm the lesser of two evilso_O

• Haha
Reactions: telenomore

teletimmo

Addicted
Jul 16, 2008
G3 is notorious for glue issues

Reactions: skifree

Neddy

Hard Yards
Mar 18, 2016
I had the same issue with a pair of G3 skins. Tried refreshing with the iron and paper but they progressively left more and more residue on the base with time. Then stripped and re-glued with the sheets.
I second FB's comment above - for all the effort involved, save yourself the time and just get new skins

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I had the same issue with a pair of G3 skins. Tried refreshing with the iron and paper but they progressively left more and more residue on the base with time. Then stripped and re-glued with the sheets.
I second FB's comment above - for all the effort involved, save yourself the time and just get new skins
I was going to give the baking paper a go simply because I have a booking in Bright for 5 days from the 29th of July ...yep I feel optimistic but at the same token pessimistic, if that make any sense. Also the idea of removing the glue and re-gluing them is worth the crack at $90. When you take into account the cost of replacing them with something better than G3.

Neddy

Hard Yards
Mar 18, 2016
I was going to give the baking paper a go simply because I have a booking in Bright for 5 days from the 29th of July ...yep I feel optimistic but at the same token pessimistic, if that make any sense. Also the idea of removing the glue and re-gluing them is worth the crack at $90. When you take into account the cost of replacing them with something better than G3.
If you try re-glueing, make sure you get all the old glue completely off. It’s a messy and time-consuming job.
I wasn’t thorough enough at the ends and the new glue started peeling back from the skin when separating later. I now have new Jones skins

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Phew.. Was worried that mice would have gnawed them to bits. P1060920.JPG

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
How long were they stored ? Can't remember, but I am keen again.
Very hard to pull apart, put them onto unwaxed skis and they fell off.
Was looking everywhere for how to restore them, but after a week they started sticking !
Olay !

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass