1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Horses In National Parks, A Discussion.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Greybeard, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The Cochran variety of bushman takes a fleet of pack horses to carry everything including cast iron pots and pans, table and chairs, beer and food. Maybe they should also carry enough water for their horses to drink as well. I know of some who load their pack horses up with 100kg of gear each. That is actually worse for the horse than carrying a 100kg person and most horse authorities have concluded 100kg is too much for a horse to carry (a big horse too). Many horse hire businesses have now put a body weight limit on people. When you look at the size of some of these horse advocates then you see more evidence they care less about horses than their selfish desires.

Skiain, zac150, GregPotter and 8 others like this.
  2. Xplora

Here are examples of how people use falsehoods to further their agenda:
    'Even the remaining 80 Bogong High Plains brumbies, that carry the last surviving bloodline of the Walers who went to the middle east in WWI and never returned, are earmarked for extermination' RR webiste.
    The above statement is at odds with the Waler Horse Owners and Breeders Association Australia whose president stated 'the only herds that are thought to remain in the wild are currently safe and secure on Aboriginal-owned stations in the Kimberley'
    and to be a true Waler (not that it is a recognised breed) the horse cannot have any other bloodline introduced after 1945. Fact is the well known buck runners of the BHP have admitted to seeding the Bogongs to improve the line. The last entry I was able to find of Osborne Young selling horses in Wodonga was in 1914 but lets concede he bred horses for sale in WW1, it still does not make the Bogongs any more special than any other horse bred for the purpose at the time. Even the Australian Light Horse Assoc is at odds http://www.lighthorse.org.au/the-waler-a-breed-of-horse-legend-or-fact/ but recognises the ability of Australian pastoralists to breed a variety of horses suitable for military use.

'Meanwhile, approximately 160,000 feral sambar deer are allowed to roam free in the Bogong unit of the Alpine National Park.'
    While numbers of horses are profoundly argued and counts ordered, the numbers of deer seem not to be so much of an issue. I know a thing or two about Sambar deer and they are generally solitary animals but when you put 160,000 in an area the size of BHP you would have to see a lot more of them than I do. We spend a lot of time off the normal tourist tracks and spook deer regularly because they tend to be in the thicker areas during the day. Maybe one or two at the most is all we see. Most people would not see any so how would anyone come up with 160,000. I am not saying there are not large numbers and certainly more than there are horses but numbers like this without any verifying evidence just makes these people look stupid.

You are supposed to believe that 80 wild horses do more environmental harm than 160,000 feral deer weighing around 350kg each. No rational person believes that.

Some people would believe the average weight of a Sambar deer is 350kg and take this on face value. Horses will be 400 - 450 kg on the Bogongs fully grown with the odd one going over 500kg. Deer on the other hand may get to 350kg and occasionally larger (fully grown male) but to imply that is an average weight is ridiculous. Hinds would max out about half that weight.

Blatantly false information is tracked out and people with no real knowledge or experience recite it like dogma and spread it all over social media until it becomes some kind of truth. A rational person would verify information but these people lack rational thinking. It is very difficult to fight against and maybe not even worth trying for those who believe it are beyond changing their view.

3. Xplora

So when those who deliberately peddle misinformation call you a fraud you should treat those comments with the contempt they deserve. Ant has never made himself out to be any sort bushman anyway. I would say own it.

crackson, legend and Newsteve like this.
  4. smokeweedeveryday

smokeweedeveryday Hard Yards

have a watch of dr Don A. Driscoll's presentation on the current state of feral horses in kosi, very interesting and scary points

Newsteve and Wally like this.
  5. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Limestone road, 3 in the group. Werent too concerned about my car

IMG-20200820-WA0012.jpg

Ramshead likes this.
  6. Undies

Undies Pizza! Ski Pass: Gold

Time for someone to invent a hiking pole with a hidden rifle inside so that bushwalkers can do some park maintenance while strolling.

legend, Fozzie Bear, Ramshead and 2 others like this.
  7. Newsteve

Newsteve Hard Yards

Great presentation. Well worth the time to watch it all.
    Things will change, only when the politicians hear a louder voice from those in favor of removing feral horses from National Parks than they currently hear from the pro-horse lobby. (to them, voices = votes).

8. Xplora

Science will never change the minds of enough people to make that voice loud enough. I hear Emma Hurst campaigning for the horses with little regard to all the other animals affected because they are there. Some little animals seem to be less important even to the animal lib people. We allow more extinction events to occur only for the reason it was humans who put the horse there so it is not the horse's fault.
    Some good take home messages from Don. It needs to be summarised and put into a video that runs no longer than 10 minutes. These pro horse people yelled and screamed for a count, got a count and now say they won't trust the count to be accurate. I am sure Donald Trump is working with them. With the pro people arguing there is so much land what difference does it make even if there were 20K horses it was good to have the other perspective. If fact there is not much land set aside for preservation compared to the amount of land horses actually occupy all over Australia. There will still be plenty of horses left to chase, even in the mountains. Can't we just put aside a small bit of land for the tiny voiceless creatures?

cruisin along, PMG, Newsteve and 5 others like this.
  9. skinavy

skinavy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Animal Justice Party are biggest bunch of loons/hypocrites out there. How they support feral animals, who let's face it have a pretty sorry life most of the time, over natives is beyond me.

dawooduck, PMG, nezumi and 4 others like this.
  10. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Watched a chopper this arve moving down a valley not far from Island Bend. When it hovered I wondered what it was doing; then heard quite a number of shots from a high powered weapon, semi automatic I'm guessing as there were occasional rapid shots.
    Wonder what they were shooting at?

11. Chookfooter

Chookfooter One of Us

Deer and pigs. I'm surprised they would be doing that around there with so many people around, they normally try to fly under the radar so to speak on these sort of activities. Sometimes shooting Bambi doesn't go over well.

12. Boutros

Boutros One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

From the Kosci alerts page:
    https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/kosciuszko-national-park/local-alerts

An aerial shooting operation targeting feral pests such as pigs, deer, foxes, cats and wild dogs will take place in the Jagungal Wilderness area, Snowy Plain and areas east of Eucumbene Dam in Kosciuszko National Park.

The program will start on Thursday 20 August to Friday 28 August 2020, inclusive, but this could change depending on weather conditions.

13. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That will explain the shots then. Thanks.

14. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hippy van-lyfers with covid.

15. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

East of Eucumbene Dam hasn’t got any National Park.

crackson likes this.
  16. Myazma

Myazma One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Can't see aerial culling in the forest valleys like around IB as being effective. Above the tree line yes but trying to shoot thru tall timber na.

17. Xplora

The aerial culls trialed in Vic over a number of areas found this to be true. I am sure they knew it would be so but had to go through the exercise. Pinnibar area was excluded from aerial deer culling because of the thick forest. It would also be why some areas of the Eastern Vic Alps would not be suitable for aerial culling of horses. On the open areas the aerial cull managed one deer every eight minutes.

legend, Myazma, Wally and 1 other person like this.
  18. art

art One of Us

national parks chopper moved very slow and low along the tree line on long plain this morning. Didnt hear any shots. I thought they might have been counting horses as they stood out in the snow.

zac150, zapruda and Nicko4334 like this.
  19. Nicko4334

Nicko4334 Addicted

You're out near Long Plain today? Whilst I am in a city office?
    Listening to, the fiendish rattle, of the tramways and the buses making hurry down the street...

I want your job!

art likes this.
  20. climberman

I am sitting in my dingy little office, too.

Nicko4334 and art like this.
  21. art

art One of Us

For some reason Im home now. Should have stayed out longer. Should get my head read.

You are correct that I should value my job more.

GregPotter and skifree like this.
  22. rakugaki

rakugaki First Runs

teletripper and zapruda like this.
  23. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So who is Project Rural?

24. Xplora

If they were counting then the chopper would be transecting the area. Up and back over the grid. We can only speculate what they were doing. Maybe taking some big noobs for an inspection. The real answer is often less imaginative.

25. art

art One of Us

Sure speculation is all we have. But looking at ferals is a pretty good guess since everything else was buried in snow. It wasn't a joy ride as they spent a few hours methodically combing the tree line. Anyway just sharing an observation.

Counts don't always have to be a on a grid. There are many sampling strategies. 2 hours would have given close to a total count on long plain and in the trees at the edge.

26. Xplora

A good observation nonetheless. It will have the nutters running stupid thinking the gun ships are there. They have better speculative conspiracy theories.

art likes this.
  27. skifree

Fire damage assessment?

28. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Did someone say long plain?

29. Newsteve

Newsteve Hard Yards

Now that's a great way to access the backcountry! I see you kept the ski/board tracks out of frame... Hi Hi :)

zapruda likes this.
  30. Xplora

31. skinavy

32. climberman

33. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

could have been a training run as well. FIL has explained it, he was heavily involved in pest management in Kosci and has run camps in Kakadu; anyway their is an art to culling especially selecting the first animal (lead mare I believe) as this reduces the spread of the animals. I may sound vague but normally these discussions involve red wine.

anyway I’d imagine they would train in spotting etc.

skifree and art like this.
  34. teletripper

teletripper One of Us

35. Chookfooter

Chookfooter One of Us

So let me get this straight. Pork Barilaro is saving the feral horses but is prepared to break up the coalition so the koalas don't get saved. I'm struggling to see how that is the right way round.

36. skifree

It’s perfectly logical, Koalas have done nothing for Australia whereas horses saved us from ... something and contributed to everything that is Australian.

neilmny, Fozzie Bear and Edgecrusher like this.
  37. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, absolutely. Forget Australia riding on the sheep's back. This nation was forged by horses, and their direct descendants shall roam free in our National Parks, regardless of the damage they cause, as a reminder of their greatness to us all, and for absolutely no other reason but symbolism.

I mean, is there any other reason to oppose their removal? What benefit do these nags' continued existence provide? Do they make some people feel good inside, knowing they're up there and roaming, when they see photos posted of them online, or for the few who venture into the Parks and see them with their own eyes? And that reason is more than enough to justify their existence, and the utility so provided sufficiently outweighs the environmental damage caused.

38. skinavy

No it's simpler than that. Barilaro is a fool who owes his political career to Cochran.

GregPotter, Chaeron, neilmny and 4 others like this.
  39. Chookfooter

Chookfooter One of Us

Cochran has photos of Barilaro with Stormy Daniel's, for sure.

Myazma likes this.
  40. Xplora

I read your sarcasm here but it should be mentioned, when tourists come to Australia they see toy Koalas everywhere starting with the airport shops. They visit nature parks to hold them. Overseas people know Australia for Koalas and Kangaroos. It seems some people living here cannot see how important these icons are to our national identity and now they have a failed glazier championing their cause. I don't think these people will be happy until all things natural to this country are completely destroyed. Bari staying on as leader of the NP and Deputy premier is untenable if a coalition is to remain. He should have been removed after the Monaro election debacle. The Nationals are trying to regain some credibility in the bush. I can't see killing off koalas as being overly popular with voters.

41. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The Nationals are pro mining, pro logging and pro urban expansion.

Barilaro brumby madness is a cynical vote buy and his koala fcktadery is all about logging, land clearing and urban expansion.

Barilaro is playing to the regional urban redneck tradie vote, huntn, fishn, 4WDn.

42. skinavy

In other words, Pork Barrelaro thinks he can save the Nationals by going after the Shooters party voters. Good luck with that.

dawooduck likes this.
  43. skifree

Yes, we need a dripping with sarcasm font.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  44. Xplora

How can I be one of them and a greenie as well? I would be an enigma. And shutup @Wally, nobody asked you to comment. (Just getting in before you do).

hongomania likes this.
  45. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

We can be what ever we want to be but Barilaro only wants our vote

46. skifree

Spence and zapruda like this.
  47. zapruda

zapruda One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It’s a shame he wasn’t booted this morning. It says a lot about the state of politics in our country when a person as blatantly corrupt and idiotic as he is manages to become deputy premier of NSW.

48. Chookfooter

Chookfooter One of Us

He mightn't have been booted yet, but I reckon it's only a matter of time. After the Eden Monaro fiasco and now this, surely he must be finished. But then again, don't underestimate the stupidity of your average country party supporter.

teletripper, GregPotter and Chaeron like this.
  49. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Koalas, Barilaro’s Trojan Horse....

dawooduck and neilmny like this.
  50. Xplora

This is an interesting opinion piece which puts light on the motives of Bari and the NP. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...in-regional-nsw-20200910-p55uhw.html#comments
    Without the NP the Libs only need two seats to hold government. If the NP walked out on the coalition then the Libs may take some seats from them next election and could govern in their own right. It could also mean a decade in the wilderness for the Libs but it would mean the end of the Nats completely. I am suggesting it is the influence of the NP in the coalition which is stopping the Libs for making sound environmental decisions. The NP have tried to get logging back in the National Parks on the Murray, have created a false narrative to protect a feral pest and now want a real Australian icon threatened further to aid development of land and put money in the pockets of the already rich. In Victoria, the NP want to return cattle to Parks and clear fell old growth forest not to mention protecting a feral pest. I wonder what concession was made for Bari to get his Heritage horse bill through. Gladys should be calling in the favour. At least for now she has put him in the corner and I suspect the unrest will fester in the NSW NP until Bari is unseated.