Hotham 2012 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
Please use this thread ONLY for posting trip reports, condition information, photos etc. Please no general banter in this thread.

It will be embedded in the base of the Hotham Snow Report .

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Re: Hotham 2012 - Reports/photos/conditions

Saturday was epic! Fresh turns on Blue Ribbon and Hackers Horror in the morning then some sneaky untracked stashes and wind drifted goodness on Gotcha Ridge in the arvo! What a day!
Sorry no pics, too busy skiing!
biggrin.gif

Rimey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 28, 2010
The modest end of the Great Divide

Heavenly Valley groomed to perfection for Tuesday.
Out at 8:30 and not a mark on it.
Snake of any colour was first rate.
Everything else down there was mighty fine. In the am at least.

Sidecountry: Dargo bowl and the one next to it, ice up top then a bit crusty going down, then into the gullies was sweet. Boarders opposite enjoyed about 4 runs each from that ridge over the road from Little Baldy.

ians 158

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 15, 2006
melbourne

fast_limey said:
Boarders opposite enjoyed about 4 runs each from that ridge over the road from Little Baldy.

That was Bluebear and i,snow in that bowl was sensational.
photo.jpg

Darksidepoints

Hard Yards
Apr 21, 2009
Winter

Had a great day there yesterday, full report tomorrow. For now, I just have to say that this scared the crap out of me:
hotham.jpg

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne

DSCN0662.jpg

this is from the last week of july...is it anyone off the forum?

What a classic ! I was just browsing the forums and saw this pic...'that's me and my girlfriend!'
I did some runs around Eagle Ridge and had a nice picnic lunch with my other half at that spot where the pic was taken. Where were you skiing hongomania ? I took some pics of a couple of people skiing opposite me too..freaky huh !
laugh.gif

Cheers, Paul

hongomania said:
DSCN0662.jpg

this is from the last week of july...is it anyone off the forum?

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham

Today through the trees @Golden Point, #myluckywife;

UtBmy.jpg

Bluebear

Hard Yards
Aug 19, 2008
Noosa, Qld

Cam for the record i do not like your wife.
Oh and a cake without eggs would be great!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham

Here is an eggless mushroom cake with icing on top, snowing again:

128311400hrs.jpg

D

D54604

I stayed at Leeton Lodge last weekend up at Hotham.
Very comfortable and friendly people, plenty of space from Sunday 2nd Sept, 4 nights for the price of 3 and from Sunday 9th Sept Adults $60.00 per night and Kids stay for free, thats only $120- per night for a family of 4, cheaper than staying of mountain. www.leetonlodge.com

timonearth

Hard Yards
Jul 20, 2010
Melbourne mostly.

Pretty special day up here today. Crowds were acceptable, blue sky, nice snow. Mountain range looks beautiful.

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham

Cracker of a day took a few pics

tracked.jpg

rail.jpg

jumpline.jpg

Hikeout.jpg

Feathers.jpg

cliff.jpg

chair.jpg

Cath.jpg

box1.jpg

surferchris

Hard Yards
Apr 30, 2009

Nice photo's Camelot, picture perfect day up on the hill once that early fog cloud lifted..
The photo after the Feathertop pic the guy jumping the rock, by any chance did he fall and crack his ribs?

There were 2 serious accidents today, one guy smashed into a tree and had to be air lifted to alfred, apparently not expected to make it, very serious head injuries. Pretty sad, everyone needs to ski/board to there ability..

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham

Hi Chris,
The rock is down in the Canyon, all of the riders in that group stuck it...
I saw the air ambulance come and go, later I heard there was an accident in Avalanche gully requiring Kassbohrer retrieval, thoughts are with him and family
frown.gif

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

Got back from a fantastic 3 day trip to Hotham...

Thursday night 30th August, drove up. At around after 9.30pm, hit the snowline which was below the picnic table. Had to fit chains in the second fitting bay after that. Got to the CSIR Lodge around 10.20pm, at least 5 cms of fresh had fallen and it was snowing lightly.

Friday 31st August: Woke up around 6-ish. After sunrise, excited to a blanket of untracked, pristine snow outside the lodge! Read snow reports from various sources and about 15 cms have fallen overnight. Officially, 13 cms fresh reported. EPIC FRESHIES day!
biggrin.gif
This was quite a remarkable day in that it remained below freezing all day, with intermitten light snow and sunlight. It was slightly foggy but there was enough sunlight that visibility was still pretty good. Skiied the Hogg's Back all the way to the bottom for the first time this season, and then the Blue Ribbon area - so rare this late in the season! Also hit Mary's Slide and The Chute. caught the Great/Epic day of skiing everywhere, the best day of season 2012 for me. Hotham also broke the 2 meter mark (203 cm) for snow depth! Don't recall that happening since 2000 (maybe it did in 2008?)

Sat 1st September: Mostly a blue bird day with early light clearing snow but not much wind. 3 more cms fell over night. Got out early at 7.30am to catch first-ish lift at Heavenly Chair to make the best of the groomed runs. Fantastic fast fanging around for a couple of hours, then off to Orchard. Went back to the village via Mary's - off the nice big cornice with a huge 2 to 3 meter drop-off into soft, soft snow - wheeee! After an early lunch, went back out to catch the Kat up to Golden Point, then back again to Coles Bowl for some steeps on still lightish soft snow. Ended the day with a nice cold German beer at Zirky's.

Sun 2nd September: Got up to yet another clear blue sky day. Again out early at 7.30am to make the most of the corduroy before the sun turned things to slush. Had a couple of nice runs on a groomed Big Slope out at Orchard, then returned to the village via Coles Bowl again - snow still lightish and soft. After a quick lunch at around noon, we went back to check out Blue Ribbon but by then (about 1pm-ish) things have turned slushy and heavy and it was hard work. We called it a day soon after.

So amped by this trip I'm still awake and typing this report at 3 am!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne

Had another great weekend up on the hill taking total days this season to 20! At least another 12 to go! The snow on saturday morning was AMAZING. SO soft and dry. Went for a hike over to Loch to get some more fresh, the top half even facing the sun by midday was STILL the best snow I have ever skiied in australia it was just so light. Managed to even find some talcum powder boot deep freshies on sunday arvo down lindsays. It amazes me with the best conditions in 8 years there is NO ONE THERE on a sunday.

forum user tcross earning his turns on mt loch on sunday - cornice looking epic

DSCN0716.jpg

hard work lugging around 104kg

IMG_4516.jpg

the orchard is always a blast

DSCN0724.jpg

its bulking season...

IMG_4542.jpg

themaninblack

Hard Yards
May 10, 2009

Just did 4 days at Hotham. Excellent conditions really other than around Blue Ribbon which was pretty average. Top areas of Heavenly great, Mary's was fun, Orchard and Spargos lovely, Drift area running really fast for speedy laps, and empty. Mostly firm packed dry snow throughout. No real wait at lifts to speak of anywhere...nice!

Caveat Emptor. Was starting to deteriorate quickly down in the Valley yesterday afternoon and will only be getting worse in this weather.

Powder_skier

First Runs
Oct 5, 2007

themaninblack said:
Just did 4 days at Hotham. Excellent conditions really other than around Blue Ribbon which was pretty average. Top areas of Heavenly great, Mary's was fun, Orchard and Spargos lovely, Drift area running really fast for speedy laps, and empty. Mostly firm packed dry snow throughout. No real wait at lifts to speak of anywhere...nice!

Caveat Emptor. Was starting to deteriorate quickly down in the Valley yesterday afternoon and will only be getting worse in this weather.

Still plenty of snow then ?? ill be up there next week! yew.
biggrin.gif

themaninblack

Hard Yards
May 10, 2009

Powder_skier said:
themaninblack said:

biggrin.gif

There is an enormous amount of snow but it's what's happening on the top that really counts I guess! It's just starting to get a bit 'mashed potatoes' in the lower areas and it really started happening quite suddenly.

Powder_skier

First Runs
Oct 5, 2007

themaninblack said:
Powder_skier said:
themaninblack said:

biggrin.gif

There is an enormous amount of snow but it's what's happening on the top that really counts I guess! It's just starting to get a bit 'mashed potatoes' in the lower areas and it really started happening quite suddenly.

Hopefully huey is about more and the weather stays cold
biggrin.gif

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne

can anyone provide some on mountain updates from this CATACLYSMIC ra*&fall? the whole mountain has been washed away hasnt it FARK

Xstaff

Hard Yards
Jul 19, 2006
Mornington Peninsula

Skied last week..
Mon - Wed sunny with spring like soft snow.. great fun..

Thurs - rain. got 4 hrs in with 3 complete changes of clothes.

Friday - awesome morning, 10cm fresh,, shut hill down around 2pm due to wind..

All in all fantasic week.. but totally over having pass scanned on every run.. just plain annoying.... That is all...

gmc

First Runs
May 17, 2008

The scanning of the pass is a joke. Mostly just slowing down the lift lines.. I have no idea what they thought it would achieve... Hopefully by next season they get it all sorted.. so it scans Immediately. not having to wait while they try several times to scan guests...

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Next year there will be gates.

Same brand/model as Buller, which work very well.

Buller spent extra on gates that read both sides of your body and a friend at Hotham confirmed they have ordered the same.

Helps not having to dry root the rfid reader like I've had to elsewhere OS.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

if only myki could be fixed so quick, good news cm

Hothski

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne Victoria

Will there be gates on the new lift Carveman? And where might that be?
wink.gif

Agree that the Buller Gates worked very well. Now just to work on how people queue!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Hothski said:
wink.gif

Agree that the Buller Gates worked very well. Now just to work on how people queue!

Will post as soon as I'm allowed - have a good relationship with Hotham and they've asked me not to tell just yet.

In terms of the Buller gates - yes the gates themselves work perfectly, but IMO on beginner lifts they need to be at the back of the queue - ie get everyone scanned and then work on getting them into 4's and on the lift. Only a problem at BB1 & Holden.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000

Rumours are the new lift is going on the 'Eagle ridge' out the back of Summit.

When you ski off the top of the Keogh's lift, the area straight in front of you is the located where the new lift is rumoured to be going.

On the one hand, it's got fairly ordinary aspect (i.e. north-facing).

But on the other hand, its got lots of altitude.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair

CarveMan said:
Hothski said:
wink.gif

Will post as soon as I'm allowed - have a good relationship with Hotham and they've asked me not to tell just yet.

Any idea when an announcement is likely CM? Seems like they've been sitting on it for a while.

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side

CarveMan said:
Next year there will be gates.

Same brand/model as Buller, which work very well.

Buller spent extra on gates that read both sides of your body and a friend at Hotham confirmed they have ordered the same.

Helps not having to dry root the rfid reader like I've had to elsewhere OS.

But from what I understand..not all lifts are getting gates in one year...they are working on which "key" lifts are to get them first....I say summit trainer and the magic carpet for next year!!!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Yep Buller only installed them on the lifts you can directly access from accommodation for year one.

At Hotham I would imagine they will install them on Summit, Big D, Village, Road Runner & Heavenly. Maybe Gotcha due to access from Loch Car Park?

Leave Keoghs/Orchard for now, and not bother with Blue Ribbon, Summit Trainer & Playground.

themaninblack

Hard Yards
May 10, 2009

Agree with that but maybe not even Road Runner.

I know it's bad form to come into the gates at a too high speed but those lift attendants barricading the entrance with their scanners were being very Bolshi some days and positioning themselves in silly spots.

Re Buller had a few non reads at Holden this year and had to jiggle the card around a bit nearer the reader, but mostly okay. Overall I like the system.

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side

I would expect Summit, Roadrunner, HV and Village next year.

Gotcha is going to be an interesting install considering how cramped it is down there already.
Why to people insist on stopping just around that blind spot as you come in at Warp speed 1 from Intiation?
I ended up tangled in the slow sign once

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham

Hotham announced last night that Blue Ribbon is finished for the season, not surprising really..

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic

Hothski said:
wink.gif

When at top of Heavenly lift walk west 30 metres and look across.
New lift up the middle of said Valley in a North Easterly direction back to saddle towards Mary's.
Much needed low intermediate terrain with a bit more (even easier) black side country options.
Almost a shame really I reckon....

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne

never get tired of this view...

DSCN0751%20Stitch_zpsfcb66a9c.jpg

JLou

Hard Yards
Aug 19, 2011
Vic; Gippsland

Nice :)

I'd love to see/hear more reports of what is happening up there . . . We re booked in for a last hurrah, on the final weekend of the snow season.
Hoping it will still be good :)

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb

Is last day Hotham runs Sunday or Monday ?

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...

Yup the lifts stopped on Sunday. The official ski/board season ended with a nice fresh snow dump. What a great season it was, the best since 2000 IMHO.
beer.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass