1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Hotham 2018 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Richard, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink

Pink One of Us

Fundraiser for DWA?

2. cookieman

cookieman One of Us

A friends edited farewell message to his buddy, the old double chair...

I have just had my last ride on the Playground double chair. This lift has been a huge part of my life on snow. I remember when she was built in 1969 how she played up in her first year. I remember my first day tickets as a teenager. I remember the top to bottom skiing back then.
    I remember the Ski the Giant Hotham. I remember Steve Hall allowing me to work as a lunch time Liftie on the mid load and occasionally the bottom station.
    I remember when she derailed, when the grip slipped, when she was washed away in a flood at the load station, when Sun Run was built for the less capable to use the Sun Run T bar, when she was shortened. I remember when I knocked the doors out one morning when I started her.
    She has been a faithful servant for Mount Hotham for many years but now the end is near. I will miss you and so will many others. I am not sure I will enjoy watching you being removed and I am a sure you will resist all the way.

The Plowking, MarkV and Bogong like this.
  3. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Perhaps change the wording a little bit as I probably didn't explain it too well. When the flood occurred, water and debris washed down what is currently the valley trail taking the old load of the chair with it. The debris didn't come down the creek itself as it exited slightly downstream of the load. To rebuild they had two options - 1. rebuild the load above the creek like previously or 2. extend the flume pipes a further 20m downstream and fill the whole area in so it exits close to where it does now. They chose the latter.

This still is from a video after the washout. It occurred in 1989. You can see the old tower assembly at the bottom which would have been replaced in the following months prior to the next winter.

I'm assuming they'll announce the removal of the lift once Hero Passes end of sale occurs. Doesn't sound too good if they're trying to flog off tickets and announce the removal of lifts at the same time.

skiflat likes this.
  4. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

On another note, the mobile snowguns in Slalom Gully are back in ready for the 2019 season.

5. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

So the lift is defiantly getting removed?

Disgusting if true

6. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

So does the Audi 4 need to be an Audi 6 in the future?

7. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

And how many hours did it operate this season?

Honestly if they removed it and made a track down lower playground for learners to avoid death gully is has to be an improvement.

I’m sure if you read the plan for hotham you can see what their long term plan is....

8. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think its hardly run in the last 2 seasons because they have been great seasons..... IMO. Its useful in crap depth seasons with crap weather in particular the mid load for blue skiiers on sun run on crappy days, and the lower load for better skiiers when blue ribs or orchard isnt open and slalom is chockers

FatBoyDave likes this.
  9. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

But yeah @N0frilz maybe we are just being weaned off it

10. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have heard it referred to as "Twirligig Bowl."

11. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.