1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Hotham 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

My friends took this offer up. A second day's ticket and ski hire is costing them $163, would be over $200 if they had to hire jacket, pants etc.

2. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

how good does the hill look on the cams this morning?

skiflat and Boodwah like this.
  3. mr

one the financial query....i hear ya @snowgum but i never skiied as a kid, or until i was 30. it was too expensive for my working class / lower middle class suburban family of 4 back then, and probably still is now

i said i would never become one of those rich wanker skiiers.......and now i am one! but i did xc, then bc and then when the $$ came, resorts

thats not an answer i know, but its always been out of reach for many IMO

i guess im wondering if it is more expensive now....maybe it is - happy to be corrected on this :)

Chaeron, Snow Blowey and cookieman like this.
  4. xuěboarder

xuěboarder One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We take a group of 40+ beginners to Hotham each year. Even with group discounts, it comes to around 600$ for the weekend if you need everything.
    Defs makes it hard for a family

Chaeron and nezumi like this.
  5. Goski

Goski Addicted

With Falls, Hotham and Perisher all now on the Epic pass it is the price of 6 day passes or skiing two days across each of three weekends. Or a week of skiing every day on a 7 of 9 pass plus one day pass. Every day after is free (plus the parking fees). There prospect of some OS lift passes for free or discounted if making an OS trip.

It's great for established sliders with the time and the cash for accomodation and meals for lots of snow days. As per earlier comments, it's become so expensive for anyone wanting a few days oer season for whatever reason or wanting to try skiing for a weekend. The increases per annum have exceeded inflation as long as I can remember and Hotham has jumped up their day pass from $126 to $149 for 2019. An 18% increase. Thats MASSIVE. To paraphrase @snowgum "where are the next generation coming from?". With fewer club lodges - and the shift away from joining clubs - plus the constant upmarketting of accommodation, skiing is less accessible every season in an era of low wage growth and rising living costs = reducing disposable income for the majority. Skiing has always been expensive I agree but it is more expensive in real terms every year.

On the plus side, in 2020 when my lot and many forumites are sking our 10+days on Epic passes there may well be shorter lift queues and more slope room due to fewer "casuals" and fewer beginners. Time to get that heated campervan

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Goski

Goski Addicted

Wonder why Brand New Day is for one day only? Seems like tokenism. And what if the weather in June 22 is shite? That's how to make a novice's brand new day their last day on skis or a board. It's why I'll leave buying entry and tickets as late as possible plus who knows....one of your group or you can wake up unwell with little prospect of a refund, car could break down etc.

Hear you on taking family (and friends) along for a day or two. When tthey add up the cost other activities start looking glossier. When we are up for a week in September a friend likes to come along and lift ski for up to 3 days only. He may baulk this year or stick with xc instead.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Goski

Goski Addicted

Costs aside, how y'all get good snow through the winter. Warming up this weekend so the roads should be clear for the opening weekend.

8. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

It's also an issue with the tradeoff between number of days and cost per day. Other than available time off, I can't really understand going to the snow for just a weekend. As a total beginner, it's not enough time to really get a feel for everything - but on the other hand, committing to a week on the snow is a big ask

9. Goski

Goski Addicted

Proximity to a ski area is important. Weekends are feasible if you are close enough or willing to drive up after work, ski, sleep, ski then drive home in the evening. Then crawl out of bed and go to work/school on Mondays. When we were younger (20s, early 30s) we would think little of arriving late on Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon from Buller from Melbourne and even do Falls or Hotham the same way. Now however with young teenagers - and with less stamina than unencumbered 20-somethings, we'd go for 4 days minimum to Falls or Hotham and only go to Buller mid-week. It is too crowded on weekends at Buller these days for me.

FatBoyDave and nezumi like this.
  10. Goski

Goski Addicted

I'm getting off the hobby horse now. This thread is for trip reports, conditions etc. How's it looking for this weekend anyone who is up at Hotham?

nezumi likes this.
  11. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Will let you know tomorrow.

Goski likes this.
  12. Gregah

Gregah One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Vail's is an interesting strategy which is also being mirrored by Altera - consolidate resorts and lock in the already converted with too-good-to-pass-up multi day passes (EPIC & IKON). The unintended consequence may well be discouraging the next generation of skiers who aren't lucky enough to be being dragged around now by their snow crazed parents with EPIC/IKON passes. For the rest, learning to ski on an ad hoc day here and week there basis will become prohibitive for most. Might find themselves growing their market in the short term and shrinking it in the medium to long term...

Zeroz, travelislife and Bogong like this.
  13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

in US Vail has introduced a scheme called something like Epic for Everyone. It is designed for people who can't justify a season a pass. You buy x number of days to be used anytime during the season. So occasional skiers can get some level of discount if they are prepared to lock in. No commitment to do it here, but it could be.

Gregah and Chaeron like this.
  14. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I would really like to see both the Ikon and Epic pass offer something of a "locals pass" for Australia / Oceania. Vail already do this for the Lake Tahoe resorts, while Ikon do it for some resorts, when you get the full benefits at the resorts you will visit most often, and then limited days at others. If I was buying the Epic Pass but only planning to hit up the US for a maximum of 2 weeks, then having limited days at the US resorts isn't so much of an issue.

Goski and Gregah like this.
  15. Goski

Goski Addicted

I've continued some price commentary at https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/falls-creek-hotham-to-be-bought-by-vail.83435/page-14. Seems to be a better spot for that kind of stuff. Compared to what's happening in the USA $149 AUD is kind of cheap! Looking forward to seeing some opening weekend photos here. Maybe someone can try to capture some incredulous looks at the ticket counter (tic). Be nice to know if Audis still rule the day car parking spots.

Chaeron likes this.
  16. mr

Nah they dont take chains very well..... :)

Hully likes this.
  17. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

They already have this. The Epic Australia pass is about 2/3 the cost of the full epic pass. Thredbo and Buller have the Mountain Collective tie in giving half off at the ticket window of MC resorts.

Chaeron likes this.
  18. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

In terms of relative pricing, I was thinking something more like the Tahoe Local Pass https://www.epicpass.com/Passes/Tahoe-Local-Pass.aspx

$589 vs $939 for the full Epic.

19. fenrir

fenrir One of Us

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  20. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Hard Yards

Have just done an hour or so on first lifts itsss soo nice not a lot open but the quality is like mid season snow depth aim!

For $60 it’s well worth it even with one lift

Attached Files:

21. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Hard Yards

Updated conditions went left near blue ribbon ungroomed thick and slow so don’t go unless you’ve got some fatties to push through. Groomers it is for me now !!

FatBoyDave and mr like this.
  22. Goski

Goski Addicted

What I meant was that Audi cars got preferential parking the last couple of seasons due to the Audi quattro chair sponsorship. They had about half the closest parking area to Hotham Central allocated for Audi only parking. Without an Audi the rest of us have to park way down the road even if arriving early.

#72 Goski, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  23. Goski

Goski Addicted

Next year I may buy an older beatup Audi (but still safe) wagon for the kids to learn to drive in and use it for ski trips with just 3rd party insurance and have "premium parking" at Hotham.

Guthega Girl and Hermannator like this.
  24. Ausexc

Ausexc First Runs

I'm gonna stick an Audi badge on my Mazda :thumbs:

dr80 and Guthega Girl like this.
  25. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Hard Yards

I got a VW Tiguan last year and it loves these roads. Basically an Audi q4 specied down

26. mr

yes i got what you meant........ but last year they were often empty, without audis, due to chain issues. even stupider

Goski and currawong like this.
  27. mr

noone will notice the difference

anyway ill be up tonight with 4 kids, looking forward to it

Chaeron and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  28. mr

looks like spring skiing today!

29. Pisteoff

Pisteoff Hard Yards

9 degrees just before noon today - slalom gully is a real hoot when there is no-one else on it - snow only started to soften at 11:30am. Sundowner was fantastic early on, but getting very soft from 11am. Noticeboard has a good cover but very soft and heavy. Some people having a good crack at wall of Death. Heavenly looks to have a very good cover on the main runs.

Guthega Girl likes this.
  30. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I do day trips to Hotham ex Melbourne regularly!
    Most weekends with 3 kids, each of the big 3 resorts in Vic are about 4 hours, but you listen to the footy or a podcast, or chat, its fine. Although self driving cars will make it better!

mr, Chaeron and nezumi like this.
  31. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

What’s holding up Heavenly. Looks like they were moving a lot of snow around up the top...would’ve thought they should be able to get that open?

32. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

It looks like they are building mini-snowfences out of snow at the top of Heavenly, in an effort to trap windblown snow from the snowmaking. Still plenty of grass poking though around the top

Chaeron likes this.
  33. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

FatBoyDave likes this.
  34. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Here we go season 2019! Managed to get a 2/3 day out of myself, snow was very hard work, legs completely jelly. Somehow avoided Slalom Gully all day. And adventure down Blue Snake found surprisingly good cover. However access along the Heavenly ridge is poor. Amazing cover to bottom of Blue Ribbon, actually looks like it's closer to opening than Heavenly. Bit of fun down playground. The lower section I left for Half-Backscratchers to do.

It might of been tough snow to ski today but gee it's great to be back at it.

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If we get a decent dump of snow later this month then I assume I can drive up from Harrietville and park at JB plain car park and XC ski up towards Mt. Hot Ham ( with cheese on toast ) and back for the day via Paw Paw Plain without paying for parking...?? Is this right?

36. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep
    No parking fee unless you leave your car within the resort boundary

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That is a great plan!. Last season I drove up from the Omeo side and snow camped at JB Plain, so I assumed the arrangement was much the same if you approached it from the Bright side, even just for some Nordic skiing for the day. However I wanted to be sure.:)

38. Karl Grimm

Karl Grimm First Runs

OK, I give up ski.com.au. Which are the 6 lifts open at Hotham? (can't seem to find that anywhere).

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A lift ;-P , what is a lift? , just ski/skin up the hill!

40. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

41. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Reports and conditions: it’s crap.

Playground turning, not taking punters.

Chaeron and skiflat like this.
  42. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

So it lives! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

And I was thinking that it was totally dead after it ran for (allegedly) the last time in October and was just awaiting burial.

#92 Bogong, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    skiflat likes this.
  43. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Addicted

We went DP to JB Hut & return, very nice. Tried the railway tracks for the first time.

Attached Files:

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  44. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I skied The JB Hut to Wire Plain trail last season. It was very icy and hard in the morning and slow and sludgy in the afternoon. I hope to ski the whole thing again soon in fresher conditions. Have you skied the Cobungra Ditch track? I am going it give a go this season. Skiing in the chook footer track, the Railway tracks are OK for diagonal gliding and striding but for controlled descents and cornering I prefer to ski out of them and snow plough and step turn more.

45. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I don’t know what this means though. The lifties at road runner didn’t know. Maybe Vail has a different view than Merlin.

In other news, it’s hosing down today

Chaeron likes this.
  46. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yeah they know how to actually run ski resorts

Chaeron and Hermannator like this.
  47. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

On the new Hotham app. "playground chair" isn't there.

48. mr

I had a blast pond skimming the xc trail down to the car at slateys this morn!

49. Sean Sunley

Sean Sunley Addicted

Our first time XC at DP. We practised the railway tracks in preparation for the Half Hoppet. Two XC outings so far this year and five crashes!

50. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If you are not crashing then you are not trying. As long as you get down low with bent knees and crash on one of your buttocks while moving you should be fine. When skiing in the groomed chook footer tracks you can control your speed and corner better if you keep one foot out of the parallel tracks and snow plough with that ski.
    There might be enough fresh snow on Friday or Sat. next week to go for a ski from JB hut to Paw Paw Plain and Wire plain and back. I am watching the snow report .
    If you can ski the whole thing from DP to Wire Plain and back in a day then you are well on your way for training for the 1/2 Hoppet race.

Sean Sunley likes this.