Snow Report Hotham 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

pmbten

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
Driving up Friday morning (early) for the weekend from Melbourne. Question - drive up from Harrietville or Omeo side?

jez01

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2018
First time at Hotham Tuesday/Wednesday (fingers crossed) next week. Chances of the orchard opening?

pmbten

Hard Yards
Sep 29, 2009
Omeo. Start early and you can be in Bairnsdale by 0930 am. Have a tea break and get ready for the long and winding road after Bruthen.
Or start Thursday after work and stay at Omeo overnight. Thanks for the tip. Will be a cracking weekend - brutal on the chairs but oh so good under the board / skis.

Reactions: Chaeron

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Or start Thursday after work and stay at Omeo overnight. Thanks for the tip. Will be a cracking weekend - brutal on the chairs but oh so good under the board / skis.
The winding road from Bruthen to Omeo in the dark, in the wet , possibly icy, with high winds and the chance of fallen timber would be iffy IMHO.
Best tackle that by daylight and keep the chainsaw handy in the boot.
Perhaps find a bed in Bairnsdale or Bruthen? .
I know very little about chair lifts. I XC ski up the hills and down them. .The fresh snow should be very good to ski on. Have fun.

Reactions: pmbten

zha50

Hard Yards
Aug 29, 2017
If we get timber over the road between Bruthen and Oemo, how is Vic roads response like ?

Heading up Sunday morning after the brunt of the storm.

Reactions: MarkV
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
If we get timber over the road between Bruthen and Oemo, how is Vic roads response like ?

Can be a few hours if very early - but SES response will be quick, depending on call-outs. But by Sunday the worst is over and the road should be clear.

I’ve got SES on speed dial...

Reactions: The Plowking

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016

There is generaly a bit of traffic from Swifts creek and Ensay on that road, so locals would likely clear it. Having said that, I'm heading up Sunday also and I am considering throwing in a small chainsaw.

zha50

Hard Yards
Aug 29, 2017
Another question coming via Omeo, first time up with a diesel and there's not much info on Bowser's / stores for additive on this side. Lots in Myrtleford or Bright.

Any tips or guides or even stockiest in Melbourne? Looking though the alpine diesel thread for something still.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Another question coming via Omeo, first time up with a diesel and there's not much info on Bowser's / stores for additive on this side. Lots in Myrtleford or Bright.

Any tips or guides or even stockiest in Melbourne? Looking though the alpine diesel thread for something still.
It's available at Omeo.

Reactions: Chaeron

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I should add that it's been a while since I've been there, but do remember getting Alpine Diesel at the ski hire service station before. Probably need some more recent confirmation of that.

zha50

Hard Yards
Aug 29, 2017
I should add that it's been a while since I've been there, but do remember getting Alpine Diesel at the ski hire service station before. Probably need some more recent confirmation of that.

Yeah most of the posts were from a few years ago and by all reports have done downhill in mix quality. Usually go up in a petrol so did not bat an eyelid. Looking at the sunday and Monday overnight temps gets me worried.

Edit: looks like the flash lube winter additive is available locally in Melbourne, so additive it is to be safe.

Last edited:

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Morning was average and heavy. Skipo had cut the entire lindsays cliffband. Huge debris pile at the bottom.

The mountain is quite nicely filled in now; nice consistent base for tonights dumpurings

The afternoon wind and crisp air dried out the snow and blew it around. Much nicer skiing; even managed to find the white room

20190808_131151.jpg 20190808_163513.jpg 20190808_091504.jpg

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
https://www.visitdinnerplain.com.au/snow-report/

"Chain fitting to all vehicles from Chain Bay 3 to Hotham village and 2WD from 152 Marker on the Omeo side.
Hotham road is expected to be mainly clear today so leave early and travel in the day up Harrietville road or come up via Omeo for a smoother trip.
Travel Advice:
-Anyone travelling to Dinner Plain over the next few days is urged to access the village via Omeo, or be prepared for the possibility of delays and/or limited access via the Great Alpine Road from the Harrietville.
-Don't forget to fill up with Alpine Diesel, or additive.
-Pack snacks, water and entertainment in preparation for delays in accessing or leaving the mountain".

Reactions: MarkV

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Morning was average and heavy. Skipo had cut the entire lindsays cliffband. Huge debris pile at the bottom.

The mountain is quite nicely filled in now; nice consistent base for tonights dumpurings

The afternoon wind and crisp air dried out the snow and blew it around. Much nicer skiing; even managed to find the white room

20190808_131151.jpg 20190808_163513.jpg 20190808_091504.jpg

Looks like my sons helmet and goggles in lindsays wont show up for a while then. Im thinking now it disappeared over lindsays cliffs.... perhaps October then! :)

Reactions: Chaeron and MarkV

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
************** Harrivetville road approach to Hotham remains closed until further notice. ****************
UPDATE It's been snowing all morning and the depth is growing. Another 25cm in the last 24 hours bringing Dinner Plain's snow depth to 48cm. It's -2 out there and there's moderate winds and the snow is forecast to continue throughout the day. The snow is dryer today so enjoy all the light and fluffy powder. Cobungra Platter is running 9am -4pm. Head to peashooter toboggan run for a slide.
The cross country trails are in excellent condition and should be groomed by 9am.
The annual Sleddog Challenge is on this weekend so there are lots of teams out training.
Currently fitting chains to 2WD on the Omeo approach from 182 marker.

Travel Advice:
-Anyone travelling to Dinner Plain over the next few days is urged to access the village via Omeo, or be prepared for the possibility of delays and/or limited access via the Great Alpine Road from the Harrietville.
-Don't forget to fill up with Alpine Diesel, or additive.
-Pack snacks, water and entertainment & extra warm clothing in preparation for delays in accessing or leaving the mountain.

Reactions: doddles

doddles

Addicted
Oct 9, 2001
First trip to Aussie snow fields since I was a Hotham towie, winter 1989 :) I'll be driving up to Omeo on Saturday afternoon and staying there 3 nights. Planning on driving to DP, parking there and taking the shuttle - good plan?

Plenty of experience snow & mountain driving in Europe. Driving a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD. As far as I understand I need to have chains, but probably won't need to fit them. Sound about right?

Excited, and will report with pics. And if anyone wants to catch up in Hotham on Sunday or Monday, let me know. I'm 52, good skier.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
First trip to Aussie snow fields since I was a Hotham towie, winter 1989 :) I'll be driving up to Omeo on Saturday afternoon and staying there 3 nights. Planning on driving to DP, parking there and taking the shuttle - good plan?

Plenty of experience snow & mountain driving in Europe. Driving a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD. As far as I understand I need to have chains, but probably won't need to fit them. Sound about right?

Excited, and will report with pics. And if anyone wants to catch up in Hotham on Sunday or Monday, let me know. I'm 52, good skier.
Just drive all the way up. It's like driving to a NSW resort that side..nyuk nyuk ;)

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Great alpine road closed between harrietville and Hotham (as of Thursday night/fri morning), would suggest anyone driving up come via Omeo.
Just a note of caution if coming from the North. The Omeo Hwy is showing closed on Vic Roads website but the warning states vehicles must carry and fit chains. Not sure if they got the snow plough out yesterday. It is located on the other side of the mountain to the driver. The backup driver on our side is currently on Bogong having fun. There is no phone reception if you get into trouble. Re alpine diesel in Omeo. Still available at both servos. Have had to use it a couple of times this year and it has been fine. Just needed a personal loan to fill up. Autobarn in Bairnsdale usually has plenty of Lucas additive.

doddles

Addicted
Oct 9, 2001
Looking forward to tomorrow so much...Q: is Hotham Central the only place to pick up a new ski pass (ordered online)? Coming in from Omeo and will park at DP and take the bus.

doddles

Addicted
Oct 9, 2001
Oh, and btw the drive up to Omeo from Melbourne today was a breeze. Lots of intermittent showers up to a few km short of Bairnsdale, dry after that. Not the most stress-free drive up from Bairnsdale after dark (always on the lookout for animals), and a bit of a wait at a roadworks traffic light. But the road itself is excellent.

Reactions: skiflat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass