1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Hotham 2020 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by skiflat, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Come on folks. We tolerate "political warriors" (Wooduck, Taipan, et. al.) who try and insert partisan politics into all sorts of threads, so a religious person is far milder in comparison. We are always being told that diversity is a good thing, so surely we can tolerate someone who is a bit different without making fun of them?

Young Angus, Ozgirl, Hyst and 8 others like this.
  2. Snowwww

Snowwww Hard Yards

It’s definitely doable...

Maybe with some suburbs in lockdown again now. I feel bad to just go around and meet everyone and have fun. I live quite close to some of the postcodes too.

I guess I’ll just toughen up and enjoy when I still can

3. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

just trying to spread some stoke.
    finally some new snow falling with 100kph winds at the peak, almost complete whiteout and zero visibility etc.
    still, I went for a ski to stretch my legs and break some cabin fever. not many photos because of such bad visibility, but good to feel snow under my feet again.
    if it keeps it up I think we'll be fine for that July 6 open date.
    (video upload didnt work, lets try instagram instead)

Snowwww, Ozgirl, MarkV and 4 others like this.
  4. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You're spreading much more stoke than the Hotham Media Team, they've gone dormant...

Snowwww, Ozgirl, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  5. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

RE: Parking this year.
    The good lord (or whoever controls my destiny) has shined a ray of sunshine upon me and hallelujah, I’ve been “chosen” to receive a season car pass. I can’t find the link for how I applied, but it was an “expression of interest” form on the Hotham website. The form asked if you had a season pass or property up at Hotham, suggesting that these might give you some priority if they had to limit them, which apparently they are. If you’re after one, I suggest giving the RMB a call.

6. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

The Falls Creek reservations for Epic pass holders which opened at 2pm were all gone by 2:10.

So all of us hoping for a ski on 11/12 July and trying to make Hotham reservations at 4pm today face increased demand....

7. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Not one video of the fresh snow falls from Hotham marketing. If the season is being shelved then make it official rather then drag it out. Staff would have been stood down and being able to run the resort is now difficult with limited staff and the uncertainty of lock downs.

Ski Tragic, Cam Slee and Froff Life like this.
  8. Chaeron

They’re flat chat coping with the discrepancy between demand for spots and the limited spots available.

It’s not the normal situation where they need to boost demand, rather its about preserving the brand in a time when there are more people wanting to come than they are able to accomodate.

The Hero pass reservations for 6-10 July at Perisher, Falls and Hotham were all snapped up in less than 30 minutes, so there’s no shortage of local demand, especially with no international travel and limited access to Queensland out of Vic. So normal expectations around resort marketing, especially given the limited snowfall in this very unusual season don’t apply at all.

Just keeping track of government constraints on service provision and helping customers facing logistical challenges, plus managing pissed off people who have missed out is a massive undertaking, so who cares if they aren’t spruiking pretty pics of the latest fall on Snapchat.

hothamite, Hothski and WaistDeep like this.
  9. Boodwah

Boodwah A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Despite trying, I missed out on Epic reservations for the school hols, which I get and i'm fine with.
    I'm also certain that there were folks who skirted the whole online squirmish who got to ski.
    But if I cant ski en piste, I'd at least like to access off piste without having to get a day pass every single time.
    For me it'd work out to be heaps more than a seasons pass.
    So I filled out the forms and got no response.
    Then called (RMB) on friday and told them i wasn't going to hang up until this was resolved.
    That I was a rate payer, Epic pass (family) holder, and have been giving them 50 years of business through me and my parents, etc.
    They gave me a pass.
    At the end of the day, for this season, they don't want to be fined by higher authorities.
    I get it, but it's frustrating for everyone.

10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They do not want to encourage more visitors at the moment.

At Falls the lift co has sent emails saying in part (my emphasis)
    Unfortunately, due to the worst early season snow conditions in over 20 years, lift operations are anticipated to be very limited when we open on Monday 6 July with only Main Street, Wombats Ramble and Mouse Trap providing for minimal beginner and intermediate skiing and snowboarding, conditions permitting. The Falls Creek team is working hard to open more lifts and terrain as conditions improve.
    Based on the above, and in line with our standard Terms and Conditions, we would like to remind you of your option to cancel and receive a full refund on your pre-purchased lift, lesson and rental purchases for the period 11-19 July

I really don't think that is the season being shelved. It's the lift co trying to find a path between government restrictions (and the safety of staff and customers), customer expectations and likely customer experience in these conditions. If we were to get a miraculous metre overnight, I'm sure the message would be very different.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Chaeron

REALLY glad you got the resort access! Hotham is only firing up after 13 July in any case I reckon given the late snowfall!

12. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Su
    Surely 2006 blew more. I think peak depth at Hotham was about 50cm in mid August. Heavenly was rock hopper at best.

13. currawong

well you can argue about whether the snow is the crappiest in 20 years, but if you include covid restrictions it is the crappiest. IIRC snowmaking conditions in 2006 were not too bad though. There was only 1 decent snowfall for the season, last weekend in July. Falls & Hotham had all their snowmaking terrain open before then.

14. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Well the ticketing has been a debacle to date which will leave some disadvantaged after committing to early season accommodation bookings. Updates on conditions would be good to give people some idea on what’s going on whether they hit the resort or not. They have nothing better to do at the moment. Obviously pulling social feeds, holding off on ticket allocations and mountain capabilities in regards to servicing lifts, patrols etc is surely a move from management to keep stringing people along and keeping consumers in the dark. They have had plenty of time to establish a plan which gives some direction so people can plan ahead as best as they can but this approach is laughable.

hothamite likes this.
  15. currawong

actually no.
    covid is an evolving situation. strangely, the ski season has not been the government's very top priority. at the start of May the resorts and lift companies thought that there might not be a season at all. the negotiations with government took a long time. the goal posts weren't just moving, they were not planted at all till fairly recently, and have still been moving. lots of people have been working very hard to try to make a season possible at all. "shelving the season" would have been the easy answer

skinavy, hothamite, kylep and 2 others like this.
  16. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I couldn't agree more with Currawong, the major Australian resorts have done rather well in adapting to constantly changing circumstances. It will also be a "learning experience" for companies like Vail. They will learn a lot from their experiences with their three Australian resorts and be able to transfer that experience and knowledge to their three dozen North American resorts, albeit with a few minor cultural adjustments.

I reckon other northern hemisphere resorts will be quizzing Buller and Thredbo so they can learn from their experiences and get things right for the European and North American ski season.

MarkV, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  17. Hothski

Hothski Hard Yards

If someone tests positive in a resort....... its all over

Snowwww, hothamite, Ozgirl and 2 others like this.
  18. snowgum

snowgum A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure. I think there’ll be a pause and some cleaning & tracing. Could be a bit like schools’ scenario?

Hothski and Chaeron like this.
  19. WaistDeep

WaistDeep Hard Yards

Any "on the ground" obs this morning? All the Hotham cams are not updating (apart from Dinner Plain)

20. Any

Non stop snow the last couple of days, finally cleared a little today for a tiny bit of blue and some visibility. At least 20-30cm on the ground, sink right up to your waist in wind loaded areas.
    Top to bottom skiing available on non-rocky runs if you can make your way through some bushes sticking out.
    5 days in a row I've been hiking the resort. I really look forward to when some lifts start running, I am completely worn out. ;) At least I'm currently #1 on the Hotham app leader board.

21. MarkV

MarkV One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks @Any . Great pics!

22. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Thanks for the pics, but you will be blamed for letting the cat out of the bag. It’s pictures like this management didn’t want others to see just in case some got excited. Anyway can’t see one gun on which reinforces the season at Hotham for one is an afterthought and hence reason for no social feeds.

23. Any

There's no moratorium on excitement here. It's just good business to not waste $.
    Doesn't matter how excited anyone gets; There's no tickets left, very limited accom and no park entry permits left. They cant come up.
    It'd be pretty stupid for Vail to advertise in such circumstances. May as well throw wads of cash on the fire.

Cant make snow in broad daylight at 5 celcius, and no point if the ground is too warm and its full sunny melty during the day.
    Can't groom and open beginner runs until you have 20-30cm of snow on them.
    Can't make business decisions on the 10 day storm forecast.
    Couldn't have opened 4 days ago, could barely even run the snow guns at midnight. Until this storm they 100% couldn't do anything.
    Opening up a resort has nothing to do with some bean counter's idea of an open date, school holiday schedules, the marketing department, or armchair spectators 500km away.

24. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Must have been special snow falling at Mt Buller that had special additives to assist with grooming or maybe I was seeing things. Like I said no desire to open the resort and yes it’s cost driven now that Vail has taken over. Just look at what happened to Whistler, it’s cost cutting at its finest. It’s not about the skiers or spectators 500km away that has made Hotham what it is today but bean counters pulling the shots. Covid or no Covid Hotham will change not for the better.

25. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

Go and start a conspiracy thread champ. Quite enjoying the actual reports from @Any

Ozgirl, hothamite, cornice11 and 4 others like this.
  26. currawong

I'm no expert on Buller but I don't see why you are so surprised that they are open when Hotham is not.
    as far as I can tell, only Bourke st and it's upper badly area are open, and the adjoining skyline run. AIUI Buller can build a base in that area using a machine that makes something more akin to granita than snow. then a small amount of natural snow or traditional snowmaking can put a decent surface I it. It makes sense for their business model.

Merlin considered doing it at Falls and concluded that snowmaking $s were better spent in other ways. If they had it done it, it would have been on wombats. I'm guessing that the same thought process would have happened at Hotham. you should be pleased that they haven't invested too heavily in granita on big d or summit.

27. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Reservation spaces appear to have opened up for Falls and Hotham just now.

Any and mr like this.
  28. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

How about you go start your own resort if its so easy?

29. Any

I spoke with some people today that had double ups because the website screwed up, they didn't even know it. plus that they opened that extra lift today and another lift tomorrow supposedly, it means there's probably heaps of tickets available.

nezumi likes this.
  30. Boodwah

They’re opening HV, bookings for Epic passes just opened up for anyone up here, I got a couple days which is great bc the kids are over climbing!

WaistDeep likes this.
  31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

32. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

GOD= Great online dispenser/despatcher .....

33. Young Angus

Young Angus One of Us

My friend and I were thinking about this also, I did think though because at the snow most people usually wear masks and don't really get that close to each other it's probably one of the easier places to practice proper social distancing. I hope this is the case and I hope anyone who might be sick or from a vulnerable area just does the right thing.

If we all behave and people aren't silly and selfish then we'll get through this and some of us might get on some snow. It's changing every day, let's just hope everyone does the right thing when it comes their time to do so.

34. Any

so far everyone here seems to be treating it quite well. 2 per quad chair or those that stay together ride together.
    in fact its been so orderly and nice that today when someone joined a chair with me and a housemate i was caught quite offguard. first time it has happened. young teenager ish, didn't seem to know the rules at all, or didnt care. i was rather peeved actually, but didn't say anything. next time i'll be giving an earful i think.

35. Young Angus

Young Angus One of Us

Def give them an earful, it's people like that who just keep their heads in the sand that will spoil it for the people doing the right thing. Not knowing the rules is no excuse people, we are in a pandemic and they should feel bloody privileged to be up their skiing don't ruin it silly entitled teenager I'm coming up Friday if you spoil it for me before then I have a special set of skills and I will find you and give you a stern talking to!

skiflat and Any like this.
  36. Snowwww

Snowwww Hard Yards

Okay as per the new level 3 restrictions, no one from Melbourne can go for 6 weeks now. I’m so devastated.

37. Crawf

Crawf Hard Yards

I'd be surprised if Vic resorts can continue to operate. Unlikely to be commercially viable.

38. MHzMe

MHzMe Addicted

Our manager (a member) was on her way to the lodge to open it up. We have turned her around and are not opening the lodge now.

39. currawong

:cry:

40. Boodwah

Nice day skiing today, although Imagine probably only has another couple days in it without more snow. Head of ski patrol wasn’t reassuring that season Hoth would continue with further lockdowns...

mr and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  41. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Sayonara 2020 :(

Goski and nezumi like this.
  42. N0frilz

N0frilz Addicted

maybe if we're lucky spring skiing just maybe

43. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Heres hoping....Im not necessarily gutted about the resort skiing and would be happy with some bc trips with the partner and or the kids, but even that seems at least 6 weeks away now

Snowwww, Guthega Girl and nezumi like this.
  44. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We arrived in Tawonga today for 3 nights and now I 1) can't update our resort preference in the Epic Australia _ My Account website and 2) with a 6 week+ stage 3 lockdown that's most of the season so....what to do? Cancelling the family's passes tonight seems like the only option if we can't update our resort preference. Bad news for everyone. If we use our passes tomorrow we lose our full refund option and pay a lot of $ for a day or 2 of limited skiing under the pro rate refund calcs.

45. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep I think we Vics are done.

46. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 One of Us

Nooooooooooo!
    Hoping they stay open for regional Vics.

47. Young Angus

Young Angus One of Us

Terrible news for VIC, just hoping they can stay open a little bit or maybe even for regional VIC, at least some will get some skiing in...maybe a rush on AT boots for some bc skiing. Dammit VIC why couldn't people just behave themselves :(

Guthega Girl and TinkyH23 like this.
  48. Guthega Girl

Guthega Girl Addicted

Geez i hope Hotham can stay open and just post code lock people from Metro Melb? Surely with the pass situation it can still allow regional people in? I was due up next week and have Omeo accom i don't know if i can cancel but i have left for the country already and have my negative Covid test so hoping to still hit up the region with my mum as driver as her principle residence ins't the city.. .. but who knows doesn't seem like anyone knows the rules

49. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

You can only do that if your mum requires care.

50. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If you are already on holiday outside the Melb Metro zone you can continue your holiday.
    If you don't need to return to Melb Metro to extend your holiday, there isn't anything in the current guidance saying that you have to return.

Snowy Joey and Guthega Girl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.