Snow Report Hotham 2020 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
I believe if you're from Melbourne but you were away before the lock down you can continue your holiday but it's a bit hazy, people just need to do the right thing even if it sucks. I'd say there are lots of people due up to the snow that have canned their holiday because they are from the problem areas. If everyone doesn't do the right thing all that will happen is it will also get ruined for everyone else and then no one gets to go...I'm sure there are some very upset people in metro areas that would rather see that scenario out of anger but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

We all need to do the right thing, then maybe just maybe after 6 weeks people can try and get up for some late August belated season skiing...the way things are looking it's like the whole season might be staggered a little anyway...let's hope :)

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
I believe if you're from Melbourne but you were away before the lock down you can continue your holiday but it's a bit hazy, people just need to do the right thing even if it sucks. I'd say there are lots of people due up to the snow that have canned their holiday because they are from the problem areas. If everyone doesn't do the right thing all that will happen is it will also get ruined for everyone else and then no one gets to go...I'm sure there are some very upset people in metro areas that would rather see that scenario out of anger but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

We all need to do the right thing, then maybe just maybe after 6 weeks people can try and get up for some late August belated season skiing...the way things are looking it's like the whole season might be staggered a little anyway...let's hope :)
I am in Daylesford booked for Omeo and its passed its free cancellation... not sure what to do, guess i ring and see what they've been advised ... only want to go up and hit DP and do some sight seeing but who knows whole state could be in lock down by then :(

SEJ

Hard Yards
Apr 13, 2011
so far everyone here seems to be treating it quite well. 2 per quad chair or those that stay together ride together.
in fact its been so orderly and nice that today when someone joined a chair with me and a housemate i was caught quite offguard. first time it has happened. young teenager ish, didn't seem to know the rules at all, or didnt care. i was rather peeved actually, but didn't say anything. next time i'll be giving an earful i think.
I’ve found it pretty good too- although today I was waiting with my daughter and leaving an appropriate gap between the people In front of me and 3 young mountain staff on a day off slid right between my daughter and me to ‘fill in the gap’

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
Do you think they are any chance of re-opening after lockdown is scheduled to end?

Imagine that it would be commercially nonviable, however interesting that they have chosen the words "suspend" rather than close.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hothski

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne Victoria
Was the right decision, costs or no costs.
Safety of their staff has been their stated priority from day one.
While I understand it - not sure how safety of staff has changed from today. Plus I'm pretty disappointed at the moment. Not helping with the whole 'Vail sucks' vibe

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Do you think they are any chance of re-opening after lockdown is scheduled to end?

Imagine that it would be commercially nonviable, however interesting that they have chosen the words "suspend" rather than close.

For the moment they'll be wanting to keep their options open while they see if there is any chance of reopening, but in all honesty, I'd be extremely surprised if they found a way to reopen. I think it's "season done".

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
Does anyone know whether it's possible to get a refund from Alpine Easy access Hotham? I have paid for access next week but I won't be going due to the season suspension.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Does anyone know whether it's possible to get a refund from Alpine Easy access Hotham? I have paid for access next week but I won't be going due to the season suspension.

I believe that should be the case, especially for those of us who cannot actually access the resort by law.

Reactions: MarkV

WaistDeep

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2007
Newcastle

Yes. I emailed them and they replied swiftly, sending a refund form to fill out and saying that they would refund any day entries pre-purchased. Refund apparently takes around 2-3 weeks. Give it a go at mhar@mthotham.com.au

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Has anyone got any idea if epic international passes will be refunded?
We bought the international pass for Whistler so we could use it there for 10 days then another 20 or so in Hotham and perisher but not sure if they will refund it,
Given Whistler was shut early and Hotham’s situation I’m not really getting great value.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
From our ski club,

=======================================================================

Resort Entry

If you have pre-purchased resort entry permits for your car from the RMB, refunds are now being offered. I just recevied this response from the RMB:

To apply for a refund please complete our online form.

We are experiencing a high level of refund requests and inquiries. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work through your request.

Lift Tickets

If you have an EPIC Season Pass for the season, refunds are also being offered. The cutoff was 12 July, it will probably be extended but i suggest sending a request ASAP before the 12th to be safe.

I understand prebooked lift tickets will also be refunded.

Stay safe everyone.

Reactions: Chaeron and nezumi

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
We bought the international pass for Whistler so we could use it there for 10 days then another 20 or so in Hotham and perisher but not sure if they will refund it,
Given Whistler was shut early and Hotham’s situation I’m not really getting great value.
I doubt it, but let me know if you get lucky! We're in same boat.

Ramus

Hard Yards
Jun 27, 2019
2019 2020 Pass Holder Credit | Epic Season Passwww.epicpass.com › info › 2019-2020-pass-holder-cre...
There were communication back in May regard international pass.

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Yeah it meant I got a 20% credit but it isn’t really taking into account my main ski resort was going to be Hotham so I was hoping now Hotham was closed I would get a higher refund.
We are not essentially out of pocket to much considering it as a Whistler pass but we bought it knowing we could get 20+ days at Hotham too

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
woops it looks like i missed the deadline for cancelling epic pass reservation, but i presume i just lost the $99 deposit from last year, not the whole bleeding lot?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
woops it looks like i missed the deadline for cancelling epic pass reservation, but i presume i just lost the $99 deposit from last year, not the whole bleeding lot?

You're not going to like the response.

If you didn't request the cancellation of your pass before last night, you will be up for the full amount. You may be able to rely on the Epic Coverage clauses as an out, but not necessarily.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
You're not going to like the response.

If you didn't request the cancellation of your pass before last night, you will be up for the full amount. You may be able to rely on the Epic Coverage clauses as an out, but not necessarily.
if you haven't used the pass, and can't use it later in the season, you might be able to get about 65% back. That's what it looked like on saturday. they changed the rules on sunday. now it's not at all clear if you can get anything back. It should be worth trying though.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
or i can ski neck deep pow at perisher on 19th august

Don't bet on it. Govt has hinted that Lockdown in Lepersville will now be for 6 weeks "or longer". :-0.
The NSW border may not even reopen in time for the gates to Charlotte pass to open in October for easy out of season access to the Main Range for BC skiing.
There is a lot traffic out there in Plague city. The roads are quite busy. It does not seem like that many people are staying the eff at home this time around. I was out cycling and observed this today.
Mod edit: Partisan political comment removed

Last edited by a moderator:

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Back on snow for the first time since mid September last year! Skies cleared enough and enjoyed a couple of later arvo laps

20200716_173605.jpg 20200716_173505.jpg 20200716_153552.jpg 20200716_173636.jpg

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
its the bottom of heavenly valley chair slalom on left, snake on right. Pic of run is imagine, i imagine.

Silver brumby hut is much further down swindlers pastcthe village load below the blue ribbon chair

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
A great day out. I'll have to catch up with @Any next time, I didn't get out until 1pm. Went hard at it for 4.5 hours. Day 2 and putting the preseason walking regimen to the test

It was an ice rink on the southern aspects all day. I followed the sun. To the crew skinning out of dargo bowl at 1pm, mad props, but fark me no thanks, Iceland

All kinds of skiing, GS turns, technical turns, ice, jump turns, carve. Much fun. Only lightly hit one rock, I blame the XC skiiers not socially distancing and hogging the entire skidoo track towards loch

Today was the clearest day I've ever had in the alpine. Uninterrupted crisp views as far as the eye can see. Note the main range clear-ness in the 2nd last pic

And yes, you can ski down spargos all the way...

20200717_132532.jpg 20200717_143354.jpg 20200717_143523.jpg 20200717_191644.jpg 20200717_191720.jpg 20200717_161407.jpg 20200717_165522.jpg 20200717_165948.jpg 20200717_170423.jpg 20200717_171928.jpg

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Great pics! Looks amazing

2021 will involve a substantial number of days at Hotham to make up for this year.

Will get very good use of the new boots and new skis as long as things are COVID less

Reactions: Gregah and MarkV

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
A great day out. I'll have to catch up with @Any next time, I didn't get out until 1pm. Went hard at it for 4.5 hours. Day 2 and putting the preseason walking regimen to the test

It was an ice rink on the southern aspects all day. I followed the sun. To the crew skinning out of dargo bowl at 1pm, mad props, but fark me no thanks, Iceland

All kinds of skiing, GS turns, technical turns, ice, jump turns, carve. Much fun. Only lightly hit one rock, I blame the XC skiiers not socially distancing and hogging the entire skidoo track towards loch

Today was the clearest day I've ever had in the alpine. Uninterrupted crisp views as far as the eye can see. Note the main range clear-ness in the 2nd last pic

And yes, you can ski down spargos all the way...

20200717_132532.jpg 20200717_143354.jpg 20200717_143523.jpg 20200717_191644.jpg 20200717_191720.jpg 20200717_161407.jpg 20200717_165522.jpg 20200717_165948.jpg 20200717_170423.jpg 20200717_171928.jpg
Skiing out to Mt. Loch and Derrick's hut remains in my IN TRAY.

Reactions: hongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass