Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
images (5).jpeg

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Haha salmon gully is a great mondegreen
Home to my only ever ski patrol rescue. 11 stitches to the forehead. Shut down gully catwalk on a Saturday morning so they could take me up on the back of a groomer due to the head injuries, instead of up the village chair. Also my first ambulance trip, from one side of the day carpark to the other.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
nasty. what did you hit, another person?

my 11yo son (now 15) brained himself on a tree in off the edge, and he went out the bottom and up dav access on the skidoo to the ambos

it was quite the shitshow yesterday, waist deep sludge-chop

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
nasty. what did you hit, another person?

my 11yo son (now 15) brained himself on a tree in off the edge, and he went out the bottom and up dav access on the skidoo to the ambos

it was quite the shitshow yesterday, waist deep sludge-chop
Ouch, hope he's all good.

It was 94, so a while ago. The right hand side of Salmon Gully was a bit different back then, it was early September and the rocks on that side were exposed. Unfortunately I ripped a ski off on a slush bump just above the sundowner exit and paddock of rocks here I come! Didn't get knocked out surprisingly, damn sore shoulder and hip however.

Reactions: mr

PG2736

Addicted
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
When I worked for one of the former owners plans were put in place to lift straight up from the bottom of the village chair to the top of Golden Point area. Shame it never happened. Might be time for another one of my emails to Vail Resorts. Funnily enough after my note the other week to the RMB I got a call and we spoke for a long time surrounding some of my concerns and potential solutions they were considering which was nice...wasn't expecting any action/follow up at all.

Reactions: snowgum

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Funnily enough after my note the other week to the RMB I got a call and we spoke for a long time surrounding some of my concerns and potential solutions they were considering which was nice...wasn't expecting any action/follow up at all.
Can you elaborate on your idea? Does it involve a bridge?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
When I worked for one of the former owners plans were put in place to lift straight up from the bottom of the village chair to the top of Golden Point area. Shame it never happened. Might be time for another one of my emails to Vail Resorts. Funnily enough after my note the other week to the RMB I got a call and we spoke for a long time surrounding some of my concerns and potential solutions they were considering which was nice...wasn't expecting any action/follow up at all.
There would be a few nice green runs up there if planned properly and of course the glades and Swindlers Chutes. Easy.

Last edited:

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
2017 - my brother ended up in a tangle along Swindler's Trail with another skier. Tore MCL & ACL. Up the Village Chair, loaded into the Ambulance at the top, drove across the car park, was billed by the Ambos for $2000. LOL
woah. remind me to get myself there instead.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowBound

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
yeah agree, frankly i cant see any new lifts for hotham ever, and i reckon it will be the first of the big4 up against the wall when the time comes.

I usually hike over higgi from central to the D to avoid the bus, takes barely any longer if theres a crowd and usually a good experience, and if possible go in via mcolls or frosty's

the H and Av gully area is reasonably protected from the big NWs though, imo
Fwiw: the Higgi lift would or could(?) dramatically reduce the congestion on shuttle buses in the upper village area. It would be a boon for any parent rushing to collect kids learning at Big D. It’s often a panic trying to catch a bus to Big D when time is short at ~ end of a lesson.

Only thing is, as Hotham AR allow more apartment to be built near the ‘proposed’ lift line, the harder it is wedge the said lift in. As for skiing down to Coral car park. There’s even less space for a trail.

I’d love to see the Avi Chair go in but don’t see it happening - especially in a post Covid environment.
It’s a good long climb up from above the waterfall. Not one I’d do too often. Not these days?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Or just have Ambo cover and it's free. If you can afford a snow trip, it's a no brainer surely.
As a taswegian (where emergency ambulance transport is free) I enquired about getting Vic ambulance cover for my many forays to the Vicco ski fields. I was told Nope, only available to Victorian residents. The only way for me to cover the potential cost is with travel insurance.... Thankfully I have never had to claim....

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
They see the action as the follow up call, not implementing anything! It’s probably one of their KPIs as an LGA to follow up any complaints within 24 hours.

Our lodge has been trying to get the kerb at Jack Frost sealed for about 20 years as in early season and late season the bus stop is just dirt or mud. For whatever reason when they sealed the parking there on the southern side of the road some years back they skipped the 20 meters that is the bus stop. Go figure…..so in one months time it will be back to waiting for the bus on mud.

Reactions: snowgum

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
2017 - my brother ended up in a tangle along Swindler's Trail with another skier. Tore MCL & ACL. Up the Village Chair, loaded into the Ambulance at the top, drove across the car park, was billed by the Ambos for $2000. LOL
Hit a tree a couple years back, broke all my ribs and punctured a lung. Too foggy for chopper. Needed 3 different ambos eventually to get me to Wang fir a fixed wing flight to Alfred. $9000 in Ambo fees. My family medical insurance more than paid for itself that year.

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
As a taswegian (where emergency ambulance transport is free) I enquired about getting Vic ambulance cover for my many forays to the Vicco ski fields. I was told Nope, only available to Victorian residents. The only way for me to cover the potential cost is with travel insurance.... Thankfully I have never had to claim....
Gee that's a bit of a pain, I just assumed it was a similar system in all states. Vic ambo membership covers you Australia wide, odd that Tassie can't have a similar agreement, call your MP haha!

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
what a day.
my legs are dead.

was such great snow all morning.
just enough to cover yesterday's, and enough that you mostly don't hit the ice underneath. i thought the wind last night might have ruined it. i could have sworn i was in japan on a late season spring 10cm.
pity the sun had to come out at 11ish and make it a bit heavier and soggier, still fun tho.

i had to stop early, want to save legs a bit for tomorrow (https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/falls-hotham-crossing.79328/#post-4774107), but by the time i gave up i was still linking 5+ untouched turns together in the trees.

no pics from me is usually a good sign :p
no friends, and no photos, on a powder day.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Ventured out this afternoon. The final couple of laps were nice - the cover dried staggeringly rapidly. BOM station didn't register any change in temp, but after 3pm it felt much cooler

Beforehand was garbage, but great base repair snow and still fun enough through certain trees

Took boarder mate down said trees, get him off the main drag for a change

Twilight zone into faces above race gully and no shark attack was the kind of resort skiing I want

20210804_161112.jpg

20210804_135733.jpg

20210804_134045.jpg

20210804_141833.jpg

dkasper

Addicted
Jul 13, 2007
For everyone stuck in lockdown, here's a couple of choice photos from yesterday. First day on the slopes in over two years, and yet, it only took one run to remember why I keep coming back. :D

See you all out there... soon.

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1940.jpgIMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

1196a212-8373-40a7-8f87-45ee3b704718.jpg

Last edited:

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Not a lot of people on the mountain today. Spring like conditions. Heavenly, village and summit poma operating only.
When I first read summit Pima I thought you were cracking a joke referring to the old ‘poleline Poma’. Then came to my senses…….

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Youngest son was booked to go to Hotham next week. Due the restrictions being extended he now cannot go. He rang 1750 and said he would have to cancel. They said no refund - you have to cancel at least 30 days in advance.:mad:

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Youngest son was booked to go to Hotham next week. Due the restrictions being extended he now cannot go. He rang 1750 and said he would have to cancel. They said no refund - you have to cancel at least 30 days in advance.:mad:
im not sure, but id probably get someone to look into that. not sure who. but someone. like australian consumer law consumer affairs fair trading board type someone.
afaik 'pandemic' has special meaning with all that stuff, and so having one's conditions change and force a cancellation is very different to just a normal cancellation.

in either case, wow, f them.

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
We’ve been providing full refunds for COVID related stuff. Although I took an interesting call from a lady this morning, she has a booking in September and asked if I knew if she would be able to travel from Melbourne. :rolleyes:
I suggested she follow the weekly advice. “What if I need to have a negative test, cos I’m not getting one of them”. They won’t let you up the hill I suggested. She then proceeds to tell me she’ll take a chance if a neg test is required. And then asked, if she were to get turned around, if I would provide a full refund.

FFS.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
im not sure, but id probably get someone to look into that. not sure who. but someone. like australian consumer law consumer affairs fair trading board type someone.
afaik 'pandemic' has special meaning with all that stuff, and so having one's conditions change and force a cancellation is very different to just a normal cancellation.

in either case, wow, f them.
Falls Creek have a CV19 refunds clause. That is the resort management I am referring to. The Bogong Rover Chalet also gave me a 100 % refund for a cancellation of accommodation due to Lockdown No. 6. .They did require 7 days notice though.There must be something that can be done about this matter. Look into it. The Consumer Affairs dept. would be one place to start.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Huey parted the skies for one lap of sun run around 1pm. Snow not chopped, not another person on it and some really enjoyable high quality SL carving. Probably the best turns from a technique pov I've ever done

20210815_125100.jpg
roadrunner opened? nice
yesterday summit/roadrunner laps were some epic level carving quality. probably quieter today.

i went out expecting nothing today, skiing with pink jacket lady, but i found some surprisingly soft snow in some steep ultra technical secret stashes today also.

Skiddy85

Addicted
Aug 25, 2008
Wodonga
I have heard some rumours this afternoon that Vail are going to pull this pin on the season this afternoon. These are only rumours, and I was wondering if anyone had heard or seen anything to support them?

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
roadrunner opened? nice
yesterday summit/roadrunner laps were some epic level carving quality. probably quieter today.

i went out expecting nothing today, skiing with pink jacket lady, but i found some surprisingly soft snow in some steep ultra technical secret stashes today also.
Was it on windhold? I only went up for some alpine weather experience before I finished up for the day

Reactions: Any
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass