Snow Report Hotham 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I only went out for the night, 24 hour total trip time door to door
It is alright for some esp. you who resides in the Australian Alps. You are lucky to be able to get out and roam around and as well as that you can go and ski too. I have noticed that prices for places to live in the 'ski towns' are increasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: hongomania

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
To be honest, seems like the sort of rumour that would spread because a mate heard it from some guy on a chair, whose sister knows someone whose... and so on. It also play's into peoples fears.
last year i heard similar rumors, dismissed as easily, then they turned out to be true.
but i guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

they were closed in the same situation last year. hope they realize they can still make a few bucks this year. surely all the refunds last year cost them a heap. be a bit of a repeat disaster for local businesses and lodges otherwise.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I have heard some rumours this afternoon that Vail are going to pull this pin on the season this afternoon. These are only rumours, and I was wondering if anyone had heard or seen anything to support them?
last year i heard similar rumors, dismissed as easily, then they turned out to be true.
but i guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

they were closed in the same situation last year. hope they realize they can still make a few bucks this year. surely all the refunds last year cost them a heap. be a bit of a repeat disaster for local businesses and lodges otherwise.
'Having' or haven't? I have paid for an Epic pass but not used one single day. Would be interested to hear confirmation (or denial) of this rumour.
thinking more on it, the rumor that they might not open tomorrow is a bit silly.
melboune open or close announcement is wednesday isnt it? it'd be pretty stupid to close now, then melbourne opens wednesday, and hotham is closed.
surely they'd wait till that announcement.

there's 6 weeks left in the season? id bet they'll just run it out.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
thinking more on it, the rumor that they might not open tomorrow is a bit silly.
melboune open or close announcement is wednesday isnt it? it'd be pretty stupid to close now, then melbourne opens wednesday, and hotham is closed.
surely they'd wait till that announcement.

there's 6 weeks left in the season? id bet they'll just run it out.
"Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has given his strongest indication yet that Melbourne's lockdown will be extended"
oh.
well.
shit.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
"Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has given his strongest indication yet that Melbourne's lockdown will be extended"
oh.
well.
shit.
Bugger! - that would be the second donut season. The no. of non-isolating cases are a worry. We’re not catching them in time and cases are spreading to the SE suburbs.

It would be interesting to know what % of capacity Hotham and Falls are running just now. I’m guessing under 25% weekends (gut feel) a bit higher (as a %) weekdays, with locals, local schools potentially still heading up as planned.

Not sure what the break even-point is for running. It would have to be higher than 25% averaged over a season? Just hoping Vail are feeling generous this year.

Looks like I might be seeking my refund or postponement for 3 unused 2021 passes? Not the help to access skiing I’d hoped for back in ~ March? Who’d have thought? :oops:

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Bugger! - that would be the second donut season. The no. of non-isolating cases are a worry. We’re not catching them in time and cases are spreading to the SE suburbs.

It would be interesting to know what % of capacity Hotham and Falls are running just now. I’m guessing under 25% weekends (gut feel) a bit higher (as a %) weekdays, with locals, local schools potentially still heading up as planned.

Not sure what the break even-point is for running. It would have to be higher than 25% averaged over a season? Just hoping Vail are feeling generous this year.

Looks like I might be seeking my refund or postponement for 3 unused 2021 passes? Not the help to access skiing I’d hoped for back in ~ March? Who’d have thought? :oops:
yeah people say Melbourne makes up 80% of visitors.

im not sure but i'd bet the refunds are coming out of the insurance instead of vail's pocket. sure itll effect their premiums, but it means they're keeping most of it. in the us their season pass sales are supposedly enough to break even, wonder if its the same here. they'd then need to work out what they're losing in missing non-season pass ticket sales.
theres also the cost of burning your good will with customer base.

Reactions: snowgum

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
If the Melb. lockdown No. 6 continues past August I could imagine Vail closing shop for 2021. Grollo owns Buller/ Stirling so they may persist for a bit longer. LM and BB are run by the same mob( Belgravia Leisure) but they also are operating a business not a charity and the bulk of their business also comes from The Village of Danned, Lockdown-i-stan( Melbourne).

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Today from 12-230 were very enjoyable skiing conditions (except for slush gully)

20210816_122349.jpg
20210816_134835.jpg20210816_124729.jpg
20210816_140322.jpg

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
yeah the fact that hotham is running 7 lifts on a bluebird day today with full cover everywhere says 'winding up'. Falls is only running 9

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Finishing up. Dropping staff. Closing the doors.

I own a business, and if was running at 20% and not 80%, i'd be shutting it down too
oh lol, i meant did they say that somewhere, and that we should expect less lifts sooner than later.
afaik they haven't opened gotcha kegh's orchard cause not enough staff came back after lockdown.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
ah no sorry, im just projecting.

Typically they wind back keoghs etc after the first week of Sept, or even run it through the first week school hols if there is the cover......so this is at least 3 weeks early

Reactions: Any

Skiain

One of Us
Sep 5, 2002
SE Australia

Typically they wind back keoghs etc after the first week of Sept, or even run it through the first week school hols if there is the cover......so this is at least 3 weeks early
We're needing a top-up really soon. Early mornings have been good but softens quickly. Out on the xc trails for a 7am skate each day seems to get the best of the grooming and the freeze/thaw. The Drift, as always, is staying firm and dry in comparison to lower HV

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
yeah i was imagining north and west sides off piste would be cooking off this warm august

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
im theoretically back up there for cam's BC festival, but my chances of being permitted very very slim, so im starting to think what the razorback will be like a bit later. Maybe a foot due next monday but i has been warm and dry.

'Sprinter' i think they are calling august in vic now

Hothski

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne Victoria

Gotcha, Keoghs and Orchard are planned to spin for the weekend. I'd much rather Hotham run at a reduced output than close up early.

Reactions: MarkV

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I hope you get them. And agree if they can run it out longer its heaps better

....but any time for the last 18 months we've 'planned' something, we know what happens.
Ditto - on both sides of the border, both years. I’m starting to think it’s me.

If I could just head overseas or not a plan a ski trip, Covid cases would plummet! :oops::rolleyes::headbang:

Similarly, looking like taking a late spring BC trip - a family, resort-based trip might wait until 2022?
Or a Buller long weekend?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Ditto - on both sides of the border, both years. I’m starting to think it’s me.

If I could just head overseas or not a plan a ski trip, Covid cases would plummet! :oops::rolleyes::headbang:

Similarly, looking like taking a late spring BC trip - a family, resort-based trip might wait until 2022?
Or a Buller long weekend?
Wait until 2022 to plan anything. We Melbourne people will be lucky to be let out of Lockdown for Xmas 2021 at the present rate. I was going to book a flight for a bushwalking trip in Tasmania for Feb. 2022 but late Nov. 2022 seems like a more realistic option.

• Wow

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Planning to come up Monday Tues next week if the regions dont get locked down over the Shepparton incident . Maybe xc and downhill , why not both ?

Reactions: MarkV

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I still have two nights at Johnston's hut on the BHP booked and paid for , the dates being 22 and 23 /9/21. I doubt we will be let out by then.
yeah with the regional cases now too I think it very unlikely.
in fact, on Monday I expect more lockdowns and resort closure :( just have no confidence that the same asshats won't spread it like they did last weekend.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
yeah with the regional cases now too I think it very unlikely.
in fact, on Monday I expect more lockdowns and resort closure :( just have no confidence that the same asshats won't spread it like they did last weekend.
Murphy's Law says as soon as it snows 40 cms over three days at Falls and Hotham next week there will be a CV 19 Pandemic lockdown , statewide. :-((

• Sad

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
well... fcuk.
man they sure kicked us out quick. I heard about lockdown at 11:20 on the way up hv chair, by the time we got to the top orchard and gotcha chairs were already closed and hevenly valley chair had a huge queue. we got 2 more laps on village before that closed and then that was that.

back to leg powered snow reports :/

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
well... fcuk.
man they sure kicked us out quick. I heard about lockdown at 11:20 on the way up hv chair, by the time we got to the top orchard and gotcha chairs were already closed and hevenly valley chair had a huge queue. we got 2 more laps on village before that closed and then that was that.

back to leg powered snow reports :/
If you are permitted to stay on the hill and have some kicker skins and suitable Telemark or AT ski gear then go for it. We now all live vicariously through those who are fortunate enough to be able to ski at all this season.

Reactions: MarkV and Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
its a bit windy, but its warm air.
bringing with it flies, dragonflies and mozzies, lying dead and dying all over the surface of the snow.
the snow is very soft and slushy and dirty.

we did just one lap, up to summit then down to snake gulley hut for a picnic lunch, and back.
chill bar has some really nice sandwiches and wraps btw. I had mine toasted, and it was still slightly warm by the time I got to eat it.
as you can see; it was very busy.

20210822_134134.jpg
20210822_134856.jpg
20210822_134859.jpg
20210822_134911.jpg
20210822_135114.jpg
20210822_135429.jpg

there was evidence someone camped and had a fire at the hut in the last day or two. pretty cool idea actually.

while we were eating our lunch at the bottom, we noticed halfway up slalom gulley was a strange black thing in the snow that was moving occasionally. was it a large dead crow? a black plastic bag? some one left their backpack? no. it was a person! this strange person had a nap for at least 30 minutes halfway up the hill. suddenly jumped up, and hightailed it up the hill. at full speed almost, much faster than someone who is exhausted/etc. the strangeness continues, they didn't have skins, but they were on skis, and shuffled and skated their way up, zig zagging up the run like someone on skis might do on a much steeper pitch. later we noticed tracks where they had done the same the whole way up from the hut.
what were they doing? why did they zig zag like this? why not just take skis off? did the 30-45 min nap really help? why?!

20210822_135114 - strange person sleeping in the snw.jpg

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Had an XC session today:
71C3FB0A-6E02-4765-8B97-0422E8D092FA.jpeg

Whilst the turns may not have been the most elegant, I did manage to eek out some telemark turns... View from near the summit:
F8180930-BD32-4765-B512-483CCFDC341C.jpeg

Also did a return loop to wire plain, was quite good even if slow going. Perhaps the end of an era Fri night with the sale of Zirkys:
2215BDB3-B7FE-47A1-AB08-35904495434F.jpeg
Hang on, what’s happening with Zirky’s?

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Didn’t they sell it many years ago and after a few years buy it back? Or did they just lease it out for a few years and then regain control again?

or third option, I have NFI what I’m on about.

Reactions: Tanuki

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Didn’t they sell it many years ago and after a few years buy it back? Or did they just lease it out for a few years and then regain control again?

or third option, I have NFI what I’m on about.
I thought they sold of the development rights and in exchange got the restaurant etc.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hang on, what’s happening with Zirky’s?

Never surrender your season I say! Well done Softening in that morning sun? Pre-freeze?

fwiw: I’m impressed with your social distancing - there’re some folks here in the big smoke that could aid our Covid response by following your lead. ;)

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
4m?? Jees. Genuinely curious what the ROI would be in a normal season without lockdowns etc...
Same... I'm going to have so much lockdown time on my hands (ahem, after the next day or three) I'm going to put together a spreadsheet...

As for what's for sale, clearly it's the property but I'm not sure if it includes the business or not

Reactions: SnowBound
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass