Snow Report Hotham 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
a. Hotham skiiers / boarders just ski / board. No chattering class here.
There's normally more than enough time to post queueing for the heavenly valley lift or even on the way up as it stops multiple times due to beginners screwing up the load/unload and mechanical breakdowns, if you're lucky enough to get reception down there.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Yeah i wonder what this year will be like operationally? @Any Does it look like they are gearing up for a normal year....theyd have to be nervous as all fk right now.....?

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Yeah i wonder what this year will be like operationally? @Any Does it look like they are gearing up for a normal year....theyd have to be nervous as all fk right now.....?
they have confirmed they're still opening on 12th regardless of Melbourne's lockdown. just not having a big opening party.
when i talked to hotham accomodation they said they were almost completely booked out because all the regional people coming up, so it sounds like its not like it'll be unused.
it could be maybe just summit and roadrunner lift on Saturday, but its snowing so much they could probably open heavenly and village chairs too!

edit: aww i looked out the window and it has just stopped!

Reactions: MarkV and mr

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
cheers yers lodge bookings are pretty solid from what ive seen when booking mine for the year

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
We're the quiet achievers. Plus, some of us are scarred from last year and maybe this year.
I'm reluctant to get my hopes up so am pretty much just observing.

Reactions: mr and Froff Life

PG2736

Addicted
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
Once I am back up there I will post some more insights...currently stuck in Melbourne. Positive is that according to VicRoads my new principal place of residence is "Hotham Heights".

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Hotham didn't get much wind, we had nice flakes all day yesterday.
But right on 8pm when it was meant to be the most precip, it turned to rain.
At about 2am it turned into wet snow again. It'd be real snotty to ski. Tho I guess it would make a great base!

Resulting in about this many snow:
20210610_100212.jpg
20210610_100218.jpg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hotham didn't get much wind, we had nice flakes all day yesterday.
But right on 8pm when it was meant to be the most precip, it turned to rain.
At about 2am it turned into wet snow again. It'd be real snotty to ski. Tho I guess it would make a great base!

Resulting in about this many snow:
20210610_100212.jpg
20210610_100218.jpg
Thank any - and quite a relief to get some snow - even if very wet!
Great to get some Vic news btw- the main Obs/forecasts areas tend to be 75% NSW. I note they have much to brag about - for now! :cool:

Reactions: Any

WaistDeep

Hard Yards
Jun 20, 2007
Newcastle
Quietly confident/hopeful that system pronged for a week's time will fill in a lot more terrain and start to get the season rolling....not a bad outcome for mid-June!

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Quietly confident/hopeful that system pronged for a week's time will fill in a lot more terrain and start to get the season rolling....not a bad outcome for mid-June!
No it is isn’t - and miles ahead of 2020!

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
I hope they sort this out ASAP or I’ll be one very unhappy camper :oops::oops::cry::cry:

90E9F77A-A8EE-4FE5-B102-8C8CF13FCDFF.png
FB62E154-F33B-4716-BE35-25E77EAFEFA9.png
FB62E154-F33B-4716-BE35-25E77EAFEFA9.png

Detour via Buchan / wulgulmerang and limestone road, fair old detour but always a beautiful drive. Probably a few trees down and chains on all wheels required on limestone road

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
we did a quick tour of summit and sun run to test out the snow.
epic blue sky makes for some pretty photos.
its only 4 weeks since major surgery, so I'm still not skiing, so that makes me ms pink jacket lady's private photographer.
hand sheer and makeshift pit (i didnt have my shovel) show a 5-7cm easily fracturable storm layer with a perfect right side up untriggerable layer right to a mostly icy well bonded base. i think its a good start to the season!

20210610_131126.jpg
20210610_131128.jpg
20210610_132000.jpg
20210610_132004.jpg
20210610_132143.jpg
vlcsnap-2021-06-10-14h53m44s867.png
vlcsnap-2021-06-10-15h05m03s158.png

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes...Hotham attracts the more serious and intelligent clients!

Team Bears do come over that road when they access the back of beyond!

Falls Ck ....well it’s a dead end street so to speak.!

• Haha
Reactions: skiflat

absentskier

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I assume if you book resort entry and lift tickets but Covid restrictions prevent you from travelling to Hotham, Vail will refund your $?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Detour via Buchan / wulgulmerang and limestone road, fair old detour but always a beautiful drive. Probably a few trees down and chains on all wheels required on limestone road

A great drive but pretty sketchy at times in winter. My group had to use a winch in heavy snow near the Cobberas back in 91’ - it was after a big dump.

Summer is different, in winter I wouldn’t send newbies or townies in 2WDs across the limestone. But I’d sure like to return for a BC ski.

Back more on topic: sounds like Hotham’s back way is going to be interesting for a while? Perhaps after each successive rain event? What a pain!

Reactions: ecowain

Guthega Girl

Addicted
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
Booked a 2 day ticket for 21/22 June

Lets hope cool nights snow making and bit of a natural top up gives them a good crack at turning a few lifts ... my god the businesses in the area must be praying for the peeps to come after the mare of 2020 (edit the typing fingers are slipping)

Reactions: Froff Life

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
It's all on their website: https://www.mthotham.com.au/discover/connect-with-us/latest-news/covid-19-update

"Hotham will provide cancellation, change of dates, credit forward or full refund on all prepaid lift, lesson and rental products if;

• You, a family member or travelling companion contract COVID-19 and are unable to travel on your intended dates; OR
  • Government policies due to COVID-19 prevent you from travelling on your intended dates; OR
  • Your transport is cancelled or disrupted due to COVID-19 preventing you from arriving in resort for your travel dates.'

Yes is the answer - do your research :)

Guthega Girl

Addicted
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote / Daylesford
The ticketing purchase also has a delay in confirming i gather incase there is an issue with your address, covid closures etc etc

It wasn't a straight out 'confirmed purchase' about 10 mins post that it came in with the purchase confirmation

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I assume if you book resort entry and lift tickets but Covid restrictions prevent you from travelling to Hotham, Vail will refund your $?

Vail will refund the lift passes, but not the resort entry.

Hotham RMB, on the other hand, should refund the resort entry - they did last year when all of Melbourne was in lockdown.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
the lifts were closed a while for deicing, but summit and roadrunner are open now.
its pretty wet, cold, rainy/sleety and miserable. very poor visibility. but surprising coverage.
im not supposed to be skiing so soon after the surgery, but it wasnt super busy just now, and fomo. did a few very careful slow laps with 1000% concentration to make sure i didnt fall.
img_20210612_101633.jpg

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Glad to see @Any and @SuskiQ getting amongst the moist depression. Were the lifts running at full speed?

Apologies for my negativity, don't let it get anyone else down as this is only my opinion and perhaps it helps with the SDS

Hotham is a garbage "resort"

RR is the coldest (except perhaps scotts) and slowest lift ever

Sun run is too narrow

Summit chair is a joke how slow it is

Even when HV is open, only really race hut - snake gully or brockhoff is good top to bottom fall line skiing

The other areas are all great for the first half of the run, which is quickly over followed by dodge a punter and being warned by skipo for doing perfectly controlled turns on the edge of the piste. Ruining the vibe, then went outback and had a blast

Why even bother with keoghs/orchard - talk about short laps. Pity keoghs bash isn't twice+ as long or there isn't other runs like it. Hotham needs more terrain of that pitch / width / piste style

Even when the "extreme zone" is good to go, still requires too many lifts for a short run

Blue ribbon needs a faster chair and some wider groomed runs and should go to top of higgi

Aus drift should be extended or duplicated, existing run for punters and lengthen down skiiers left side for more advanced

Summer groom and snowmake on lower playground and groom it

Everything feels the same, rather ski Buller for a week peak season and tour the rest of the time

Last edited:
Reactions: CarveMan

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Glad to see @Any and @SuskiQ getting amongst the moist depression. Were the lifts running at full speed?

Apologies for my negativity, don't let it get anyone else down as this is only my opinion and perhaps it helps with the SDS

Sun run is too narrow

Even when HV is open, only really race hut - snake gully or brockhoff is good top to bottom fall line skiing

The other areas are all great for the first half of the run, which is quickly over followed by dodge a punter

Why even bother with keoghs, talk about short laps

Even when the "extreme zone" is good to go, still requires too many lifts for a short run

Blue ribbon needs a faster chair and some wider groomed runs

Everything feels the same, rather ski Buller when it's peak season and tour the rest of the time

I should mention that last season I had a BLAST skiing hotham on my touring gear

Without punters and lifts it all makes sense...

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Sun run is too narrow

The other areas are all great for the first half of the run, which is quickly over followed by dodge a punter

Why even bother with keoghs/orchard - talk about short laps. Pity keoghs bash isn't twice+ as long or there isn't other runs like it. Hotham needs more terrain of that pitch / width / piste style

Blue ribbon needs a faster chair and some wider groomed runs and should go to top of higgi

Aus drift should be extended or duplicated, existing run for punters and lengthen down skiiers left side for more advanced

Summer groom and snowmake on lower playground and groom it

Everything feels the same, rather ski Buller for a week peak season and tour the rest of the time
Some reasonable ideas above - I don’t see (hear) Vail being interested doing anything about the infrastructure shortcomings. The physical terrain shortcomings are what they are. There’s an awful lot of traversing -especially out to Orchard and back.

And yes Big D desperately needs a lift/ski access, rather over-reliance on buses and trudging in slush and mud along the road (having missed a bus- rushing back to collect kids post lesson!)

The next 10 years (hopefully post Covid) will be interesting in terms of development? I feel Hotham is in many ways stuck in ~1998 when the 3 new lifts opened, RR and Drift T started?
I guess the dam and extended SM is a fairly big upgrade - but the lift-quality/age/capacity - especially when we’re 100% open post Covid is looking limited, even sub-std in some areas.

Can/will Vail do anything? They probably only have to do enough so they don’t lose people to Buller, NSW & NZ. Most H folks hate Buller. NSW is even more expensive and crowded. NZ can shut to Vics at a moments notice but in the long run it’s probably the best SHemi choice for jaded H people?

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
I personally believe that Hotham will be the first OZ to fall over. As much as I love the place despite it's many quirks, the reality is that even in the reasonably solid 2019 season, Orchards/Keoghs operated 58 days and Blue Ribbon 61. Take those two areas away and it can feel a bit repetitive doing laps of lower playground if it's even open, and the constant Slalom Gully avoiding via D8 or Snake Gully has it's limitations.
I've found the best way to deal with it is mix it up. Adding Thredbo visits with Buller day trips (when it's on) and I get the variety mix that Hotham lacks. Ironically mixing it up in recent seasons has made me appreciate Hotham's strong points more and make the most of some of the unique runs it has.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Be kind, it's lockdown and theres snow and I'm not getting amongst it. Some robust discussion is good for the mental health

Having grown up skiing Buller and falls...I miss Buller when it's on

I love hotham as a mountain. If they could start with an entire new lift network, summer grooming, earthworks, new road and village - that'd be perfect

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass