Snow Report Hotham 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
So out of all the things Hotham could be leaving out, you reckon they're choosing to leave out windspeed? Righto. What does windspeed mean to the average punter?
You’ll find out on the weekend. High winds equals closed chairlifts.
No idea. All I know is people who care about weather forecasting a lot more than me are complaining about it.
If your people think that a single ‘faulty’ * AWS can influence a five day weather forecast you should stop listening to them.

*not actually faulty when you look at the data.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
The anonometer on the hotham weather station has always frozen around this time for a month or 2 every year as long as ive been going.

Anyway I'm covid free so ill be doing the village loops in the rain with glee if everything else is on wind hold this weekend.

Nov 14, 2000
Australia
Ah - the Vail Resorts lift ticketing system. Half an hour wasted already due to the system having lost all record of linked family members. So - transaction now complete, however I've so far recorded 100 confirmation emails - and continuing at one every 10 seconds. What the hell is going to happen when actually try to use the tickets in a week from now :(

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
as in gotcha, keoghs etc?
i heard rumor of lack of staff.

tho this morning they said they had a heap of icing issues after yesterdays wet sludge falling from the sky.

Digging out top station of gotcha today

Great snow if you knew where to look and prepared to hike 150m. Nice top layer of fresh on a firm base

Had my torn pant cuff catch on my brakes mid charge down marys...managed to emergency hockey stop bail out without major incident after suddenly (and unable to work out why) my skis would only french fry

Not something I think about touring...no brakes on the superlites

Screenshot_20210729-135233_Gallery.jpg

20210729_111611.jpg

ElGreco

First Runs
Jun 19, 2021
New poster, long time lurker.

I got up yesterday. First runs today after 18 months of no snow :(. Last time in Hotham was 2018. The pain I’m feeling is REAL!

Dropped into Blue Ribbon in the morning, hell crunchy and crusty. But fun. Then over to HV lift for a few runs - lots of snow. Cut into Initiation - man that was fun, actually found some nice fluffy stuff. Ran that a few times. Small walk back to Milky Way.

Then my dear brother suggested we go for a ‘walk’ I smoke way too many cigarettes. Ended up at the top of Gotcha. The line we took was pretty rubbish. Live and learn. It was my first time doing this. As much as I was puffed out, it felt great getting up there. Mission back to HV chair via Linsdays Cliffs = yeah - nah.

Summit = white out.

I was a little bummed out with the small amounts of lifts running today.

Overall. I’m EXTREMELY grateful, to get up here. Love Hotham.

Finally. Thank you @Any for the updates so far.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
maybe today only!.....they rarely open gotcha these days when wind or vis is poor

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
What are people thinking with the road up from Harrietville later today?

Is the snow coming later or would someone driving up from Melbourne be ok this afternoon?

My sister is driving up today and is staying at Dinner Plain. Wouldn't want to get to Harrietville with a 2yo in the car to have to wait.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

Is the snow coming later or would someone driving up from Melbourne be ok this afternoon?

My sister is driving up today and is staying at Dinner Plain. Wouldn't want to get to Harrietville with a 2yo in the car to have to wait.
ideal conditions right now, who knows how long that'll last tho.
i think its more like midnight tonight that its supposed to come in.

Reactions: Seth

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

Even if there is snow tonight, it will be quite late and relatively light IMO.

Reactions: Seth

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
The wind will be very windy... agree showers later by the lool Im expecting some 'experience' tonight when i roll up at 9 or 10ish. Trying to leave melbs by 4, every minute earlier i can leave the better imo. Plus covid checkpoints i expect some delays tbh

StashyMcStash

Addicted
Jun 16, 2021
Can confirm snow was crunchy yesterday, dust on crust, but plenty of good stuff to be had in places sheltered and in the lee. Use your nose. Even Mary's was chargeable.

Reactions: ElGreco

StashyMcStash

Addicted
Jun 16, 2021
You’ll find out on the weekend. High winds equals closed chairlifts.

If your people think that a single ‘faulty’ * AWS can influence a five day weather forecast you should stop listening to them.

*not actually faulty when you look at the data.

Oh what high winds close chairlifts? Who knew.

(Facetious.)

My point is that no one reads a forecast for winds at 69.6969 km/h and goes. 'Oh, that's the magic number for wind hold.' So I'm not sure your conspiracy theory holds much water tbh

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Nice couple of hours charging until last lifts. Nothing special pic wise, but keep the froff for those not here yet

Helped film a young man whose dad couldn't make it due to lockdown, and they normally like to carve up zirkys together

Haven't seen anything about opening HV at 730 tomorrow

20210730_144132.jpg
20210730_144535.jpg
Screenshot_20210730-172313_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210730-172143_Gallery.jpg
20210730_160934.jpg

ElGreco

First Runs
Jun 19, 2021
We had an epic day today. Got over to the Orchard for some really good turns. People out having a great time = :)

Still! Some great stashes found today. Also some damn crunchy and crusty stuff that sent me flying and flaying about.

Some wait times on some chair lines, but well worth it.

Only really windy up top when we were out. Nice and sunny most the day.

Reactions: Chaeron

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
I got up about 9. Super mellow drive up hill, little traffic, no covid queue at hville. Wind just hitting now really

Reactions: snowgum

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Well the morning was alot nicer than expected....less wind, no rain, even got out to marys.....snowing now
better than yesterday imo.
i like this soft spring stuff. quite a bit sticky tho.
roadrunner, summit and orchard closed made it quite a bit busier than it should have been.
i heard of big queues on blue ribbon.

did mary's/cols twice, chute, and my fist time skiing lindsay's cliffs.
there i saw some guy crash and superman through the trees and off the cliff, crazy!
sticky snow had me holding back, kicking myself for not keeping to my motto 'flash the crux' when I put a hip in at one spot, need to do better tomorrow.

Reactions: mr and Boodwah

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Mary's definitely the pick - the steepness combined with the fact that it'd been skied a bit meant it was really enjoyable (enough to overcome the slow snow). Anything off-piste is slow glue but the run off the end of Big D was quite good so I reckon the snow above 1700 is still good.

Reactions: mr, snowgum and Any

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Another great pic! Incoming?
…Hotham looks quite big from this angle - the lack of trees - exaggerated the vertical? And there’s quite a bit of vert to explore down that side - if feeling confident? :cool: :thumbs:

Reactions: mr

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Another great pic! Incoming?
…Hotham looks quite big from this angle - the lack of trees - exaggerated the vertical? And there’s quite a bit of vert to explore down that side - if feeling confident? :cool: :thumbs:
this is Hotham accessed backcountry, out of the resort boundary.
Avalanche Gully & Australia Drift.
there's lots to explore, but bring your avi gear, a couple of brain cells, and be prepared to hike out :)

Reactions: Hully and mr

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
For those wondering how the COVID testing enforcement works...

Unlike Falls and Buller, there are other legitimate road users that would not need a COVID test if they're just "passing through".

There's a roadblock at the harrietville boom gate and one on the omeo side of dinner plain. Resort staff will ask you where you're going, if it's Hotham/DP they'll ask to see the 72 hr test result and ID. If you say you're going to somewhere else, you may be directed to convince a copper. I would suggest if you're wearing ski gear and have skis in the car you will be unlikely to convince constable plod you're visiting nanna in Omeo. Once you're there, you are fine, you could stay for months if you wanted.

You don't need a test if you're a hotham or DP resident, but you'd need to prove that and again possibly not to young snotty season worker resort staff, but constable plod. I think staff testing is every 7 days, well that's what my neighbour the lifty told me.

When I came down the other day the checkpoint was packed up and gone from Harrietville by 5pm, not sure what time they start. I would imagine friday evening they may stay later for the hordes of melbourne unwashed.

If you're using the car (e.g. staying in DP) or cooking I'd suggest you take everything you need and more as if your test runs out and you need fuel or supplies outside the zone and your test has run out, you may not get back in. Hotham/DP supermarkets are horrendously overpriced.

I believe there's a drive thru testing site at Pioneer Park in Bright open office hours. Look up the alpine health website NOT the DHHS testing location website, it doesn't appear to have been updated.

On a side note, all lifts are open. Coverage is good, although the coming rain may damage that with a 'repair' job due mid next week.

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
ah i wondered why it wasnt running yesterday. i was told not enough staff

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
I cant see it happening due to all the operational constraints and climate forecasts, but if it did, hotham would be simply be outstanding. there would be another entire resort on the left

20210801_130419.jpg

Reactions: snowgum and GS

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
It's a low return lift for them...so much better prioritising staff to Orchard, Blue Ribbon etc which can help spread the crowds. I would personally love to see it removed and a quad sent all the way into Avalanche Gully...I reckon that would be great.
I cant see it happening due to all the operational constraints and climate forecasts, but if it did, hotham would be simply be outstanding. there would be another entire resort on the left

20210801_130419.jpg
i hear they gave up womens downhill area for orchards area, so i doubt they'll add anything more into that same valley.
not to mention the wind that sweeps across there, right angle to a lift would make a chairlift there swing too much.
also, unfortunately, most of the time, beginners and low intermediates pay for lifts, not advanced skiers.
so i dont see anything like that happening for a variety of reasons.

afaik the next lift on the master plan is from top of village up to top of higgi, to link big d with the rest of the resort. useful, but not very exciting.

vail resorts is a fan of big impact lifts tho; heaps of terrain opened up with just one investment.
maybe something like golden point or back of mt lock.

Reactions: snowgum

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
yeah agree, frankly i cant see any new lifts for hotham ever, and i reckon it will be the first of the big4 up against the wall when the time comes.

I usually hike over higgi from central to the D to avoid the bus, takes barely any longer if theres a crowd and usually a good experience, and if possible go in via mcolls or frosty's

the H and Av gully area is reasonably protected from the big NWs though, imo

mr

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
time for some big turns.....on saturday Sun Run was empty and sublime for charging down as RR and summit were shut

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Avalanche gully chair was actually drawn in on the paper ski maps mid 90s as a foregone conclusion.
Then the Qld white sox contingent bought the resort and nothing happened.
Shame, as a well positioned chair running up the reasonably sheltered valley of Oz drift would potentially double Hothams terrain. Most of the picture above, as well as women's downhill and Dargo Bowl with some clever cat tracks.
Usually skiable well into october.

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Very excited to be visiting Hotham for the first time this weekend and into next week.

Looks like not much fresh snow in the forecast around my trip, any tips for ab intermediate skier? Where should I head first? Love anything with some trees or places I might find some fresh snow.

Cheers all!

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Very excited to be visiting Hotham for the first time this weekend and into next week.

Looks like not much fresh snow in the forecast around my trip, any tips for ab intermediate skier? Where should I head first? Love anything with some trees or places I might find some fresh snow.

Cheers all!
Try Orchards and Blue Ribbon for intermediate tree lined runs. Unfortunately most runs actually through the trees at Hotham tend to be on the blacker side.
Blue snake off Heavenly Valley can be good option as well.
Avoid busy Salmon Gully were possible.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass