Snow Report Hotham 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Saw this coming a mile away. Next step is roped off and patrolled backcountry zones with skin tracks formed by patrol in the morning. Way cheaper than building new lifts hey, and adds tons of 'core' marketing content
There used to be those defacto slackcountry cat tours out to Golden Point. Not sure what happened with them. Perhaps liability issues with dumping people out on a ridge / glade and leaving them there.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Maybe they could, instead of a cat, offer up a Hotham and Vail approved parallel skin and boot track out to Golden Point. Next up, a little something easy out to Eagle and pre-form a little something up Pink Hamburg. Patent a fuckin bootpack and skin track machine and boom send the hoardes into Hongo's zones... boarders digging their tails in all over the joint trying to get a faceshot. The no lift ticket crew will be refugees, forced out on longer days to Workshop or Machinery and swearing about snowboarders the whole way LOL
Hongo's Zone is the new HV.

Reactions: StashyMcStash

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Pretty sure that is what my BIL went on last year. Out over the back of summit.
Dargo Bowl IIRC. Some consternation that it's the premium Hotham backcountry bowl and should be unmolested by commerce.

Reactions: Chaeron

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
And I've got the Hiace to pull it

IMG_9108~2.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
People who don’t like that would have a fit witnessing the Guiding Industrial Complex in Europe.
That's old school Hoth for you. It's asif peeps did guiding out on Moonlight Ridge or the Chutes at Buller - locals are very protective of it.

Reactions: CarveMan

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
That's old school Hoth for you. It's asif peeps did guiding out on Moonlight Ridge or the Chutes at Buller - locals are very protective of it.
True.

But fortunately when it comes to all things coveted, it’s more about the when than the where. And the true aficionados know exactly when to get it. And after that who cares.

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
There used to be those defacto slackcountry cat tours out to Golden Point. Not sure what happened with them. Perhaps liability issues with dumping people out on a ridge / glade and leaving them there.

I bet they ended up getting stuck then cained above two shitty 4 foot high rocky outcrops that even on a powder day are ice covered cubes of watery bullshit. Even my mate who rips double ejected there, while me and my Hovercraft floated over it all and then dug the BIGGEST FKN HOLE EVER with my tail and it FKN RUINED Hongo's perfect pow day :)

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
Anyway, stay on topic. I hear Boodwah harvested some June corn yesterday on the 'burg (dude is a guru) and Hongo sliced the shin of a monoskier who he hated because be thought he was a snowboarder, and meanwhile Any has a 'locals' update on the taps at the Bird. What else? Good groomers, and chunky frozen shit everywhere else inbounds eh.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Goodbye Hotham, was looking quality when we left. Car started (coughing badly and polluting pristine environment that little bit more)!!! Lovely watching the clouds across the horizon and blowing into Hotham valley as we left. Very cloudy and low vis when we drove down into the clouds, so shame not to enjoy the views. Long 8 hour drive back to Sydney today, liked the fancy coffee in Bright and the orange fading light over Yass.

Keen to get back sometime. Loved staying up there, the quiet and crunch of the snow walking at night, incredible sunrises and sunsets, spectacular cloud movement. Thanks to @Any and others who offered great advice.
IMG20220614080028.jpg
IMG20220614080103.jpg

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Hmmm, a backcountry monoskier? Soo..... like a split ski?

I'm also laughing at the mental image of skins for snowblades.
Genius!
Every year someone makes a punter video of something stupid. eg, Last year someone put frame touring bindings on snow blades.
I think I might start looking for a 2nd hand mono ski ...

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slush

Addicted
Aug 10, 1999
Hotham or Melbourne
Seriously though. Powder days ruined by the ones who dig holes in the snow with the tails of their board to get face shots (can't actually charge hard enough for it to occur naturally from sweet turns)
You need to explain this a bit more? How does one go about digging a hole with the tail of their board to get face shots?
In deep, soft snow, you do get your weight back further to keep the nose up - if it's steep enough I guess you are digging a hole. But in those conditions, both skiers and boarders are pretty much waist deep anyway - I've probably only had that half a dozen times over the last 30 years in Aus.

Yeah - there are a lot of shit boarders, but there are also a lot of us who try to help those guys to learn to not stop in the middle of a run. And that you have only skied a run if you have ridden it top to bottom, crossing the fall line each turn. It's not the board that's the problem, it's the muppet strapped to it.

I'm happy to spend a day out with anyone - I'll buy you a beer for each time I sit in the snow, if you buy me one for each time you skid a turn rather than carving :) (you know, carving with shaped skiis? That idea that skiers got from snowboarders?)

Slush

Reactions: Tanuki and nezumi

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
You need to explain this a bit more? How does one go about digging a hole with the tail of their board to get face shots?
He’s talking about that thing boarders do by kicking out the tail of the board when they’re on their heelside which sprays some snow in the air that they ride through, and call it a face shot.

Whereas a face shot really is when you’re deep in the powder (on a ski or board) and the bow wave your body makes in the snow rides up and in to your face, it’s not a contrived action it’s part of your natural rhythm of skiing/riding in the pow.

ie:

Slush

Addicted
Aug 10, 1999
Hotham or Melbourne
Lower intermediate skiers hate slalom gully and all prefer Falls Creek as a result.
I dunno why people are seeing this as a bad thing? I love Hotham and am a lodge member/ owner there. But we did a lot of trips to falls when my kids were learning, and I always recommend Falls to beginner / intermediate skiers as both a better resort for them, and a more fun village for your first trips to the snow.

Likewise - I call out Buller as the best (Vic) resort for advanced skiers - if you can get up there mid week after a good dump when the chutes are skiable. And Baw Baw as great fun for complete beginners if they have cover.

It's why Vic is better than NSW. Absolute beginner, Baw Baw, then falls. Intermediate, Falls then occasional trip to Hotham. Expert, then Hotham with condition dependant Buller. Carlton supporting wanker, then spend the day stuck in your X5 on the way to Buller.

Slush

Slush

Addicted
Aug 10, 1999
Hotham or Melbourne
He’s talking about that thing boarders do by kicking out the tail of the board when they’re on their heelside which sprays some snow in the air that they ride through, and call it a face shot.
No-one calls that a face shot - surely? It's just what you do to throw snow over boarders who sit in the middle of runs... or any fallen friend.

thanks - I was trying to work out how to stomp the back foot then jump turn without nosediving and cartwheeling... Sounded too much like hard work.

Slush

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Too funny, yesterday wife and I skipped a rope to take some nice photos of frosted trees and Razor, skipped back under rope only to be admonished by a ski instructor knob half my age screaming at me how the patrollers would have taken my ticket if they’d seen that.
Politely told him that he was a complete and utter idiot, that Bill (who I most recently skied w in Antarctica) as head of Ski Patrol had just that morning suggested on Hotham’s website Mary’s as a decent option for those who wanting to hike, and that I was skiing Hoth when he was still sucking on a teat.
Didn’t go down well.
Everyone seems to suddenly want to rudely lay claim on the BC like they found it first or are more entitled to it than you.
It’s amusing.

Slush

Addicted
Aug 10, 1999
Hotham or Melbourne
Politely told him that he was a complete and utter idiot, that Bill (who I most recently skied w in Antarctica) as head of Ski Patrol had just that morning suggested on Hotham’s website Mary’s as a decent option for those who wanting to hike, and that I was skiing Hoth when he was still sucking on a teat.
Heh - my kids first ducked ropes skiing with Sarah and her kids when she and Pete were running ski patrol. Of course, we have also been threatened with walking out after ducking late in the day - don't take advantage of friendship.

Reactions: Tanuki

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Genius!
Every year someone makes a punter video of something stupid. eg, Last year someone put frame touring bindings on snow blades.
I think I might start looking for a 2nd hand mono ski ...
Met those blokes last year (shared the davenport access trail out with them) - I say good on 'em, what else were they going to do in lockdown?

Reactions: Any

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Wasn't there at lunch, but at about 2:30pm.
We haven't had much rain, 4cm of wet slush, but we've had those foggy / low cloudy warm conditions that probably soaked through.

20220617_144417_HDR.jpg
20220617_144428.jpg
20220617_144448.jpg
WOD, Mary's, Pumphouse Drop - all Hotham faves, but never seen that in-season on WOD before.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yeah, within the boundary but it's never been 'managed'.
RMBs' riding insructions don't include protecting skiers' experience, especially if they are advanced or not willing to spend big.

I was amazed that the recent alpine resorts ceo ad even mentioned winter sports. usually official RMB documents avoid any mention of snow or skiing.

• Haha
Reactions: Chaeron and Tanuki
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass