Snow Report Hotham 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

MHzMe

Addicted
Apr 24, 2001
Marouka Lodge
move wildlife on the omeo route..particularly at dusk... wombats are attracted to sumps and diffs
Yes have collected a wallaby between Bruthen and Swifts Creek in the dark before too.

Electronic roo fences have been installed beside the GAR between Smoko and Harrietville.

Reactions: Rover

MHzMe

Addicted
Apr 24, 2001
Marouka Lodge
Right now Google Maps is saying ~4:30 via Bright and 5:45 via Omeo to get to Dinner Plain.

Setting a future date for departure it's saying 4:20 - 5:00 via Bright and 5:20 - 6:50 via Omeo, with an extra 100kms in total distance.

So, for us at least, unless there's a big load of snow coming it looks like Bright is the way to go
With the increased development past Berwick over the years, getting out of Melbourne along the M1 to the east has become increasingly difficult during peak times. Depending on where you are in Melbourne this could be a teal factor.

Urban development continues right to Pakenham East, with significant development around Nar Nar Goon, Tynong and Drouin/Warragul, so the traffic remains heavy quite a distance out.

Going north on the Melba, it is not too bad once past Coldstream - just need to contend with Buller traffic.

Reactions: nezumi
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
With the increased development past Berwick over the years, getting out of Melbourne along the M1 to the east has become increasingly difficult during peak times. Depending on where you are in Melbourne this could be a teal factor.

Urban development continues right to Pakenham East, with significant development around Nar Nar Goon, Tynong and Drouin/Warragul, so the traffic remains heavy quite a distance out.

Going north on the Melba, it is not too bad once past Coldstream - just need to contend with Buller traffic.

I'm right on the Ring Rd, so it's around 10 minutes to get onto the Hume. That makes it 2 hours to Glenrowan most of the time.

Reactions: MHzMe

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side
I almost had Venison for dinner one night heading up from Harrietville. Apparently very common.
seems to be lots of deer between myrtleford and ovens after about 11pm and plenty of roos in that area too. I always knock off my speed from myrtleford onwards and try and hook in behind someone with a large bullbar. I collected a roo one morning at 6:30am just below the meg, and in the same week saw a deer on the razorback in the snow...

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
It should live update if people driving it are using the apps. Will calculate delays. Unlikely to account for the actual fitting of chains, but should pick up the slower speed. Don’t know the full details but algorithms will lean on slower trips and the more data feeding in the more accurate

** but always add more when the delays are in areas outside major metro
I bet the poor signal strength, the fact that some providers don't work at all, and that it can very wildly from day to day (sometimes hour to hour) has google confused as hell ;P

Reactions: KylePee

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
I'm right on the Ring Rd, so it's around 10 minutes to get onto the Hume. That makes it 2 hours to Glenrowan most of the time.
Assuming you lived in the CBD (you probably don't), it's 80km more to go via Omeo from Melb. So the question becomes chains/delays etc via H'ville vs the time it takes to drive the extra 80km (tipping the best part of 1h).

Oh and via Omeo atm there's:
  • Up to 4 lots of roadworks between Yarragon and Sale (down to 40 if prior to 6pm, 60-70 at other times)
  • 2 stupid traffic lights (traffic only 1-way, one at namestone point, and the absurd one just out of Omeo) on the GAR and I've never had the 'rub of the green' this season so add another 5-10mins for those.
  • The extra fuel cost of 160km - winter mix diesel at Omeo, yours for only 247c/l

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Assuming you lived in the CBD (you probably don't), it's 80km more to go via Omeo from Melb. So the question becomes chains/delays etc via H'ville vs the time it takes to drive the extra 80km (tipping the best part of 1h).

Oh and via Omeo atm there's:
  • Up to 4 lots of roadworks between Yarragon and Sale (down to 40 if prior to 6pm, 60-70 at other times)
  • 2 stupid traffic lights (traffic only 1-way, one at namestone point, and the absurd one just out of Omeo) on the GAR and I've never had the 'rub of the green' this season so add another 5-10mins for those.
  • The extra fuel cost of 160km - winter mix diesel at Omeo, yours for only 247c/l
It seems odd how long they're taking to complete the duplication of the M1 through to Sale.

Crawf

Addicted
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
seems to be lots of deer between myrtleford and ovens after about 11pm and plenty of roos in that area too. I always knock off my speed from myrtleford onwards and try and hook in behind someone with a large bullbar. I collected a roo one morning at 6:30am just below the meg, and in the same week saw a deer on the razorback in the snow...
After QB weekend I drove home in daylight most of the way. Yet somehow almost hit a small roo in Greensborough when coming off the ringroad. WTF?

• Wow
Reactions: Gregah

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
After QB weekend I drove home in daylight most of the way. Yet somehow almost hit a small roo in Greensborough when coming off the ringroad. WTF?

One of the residents from up on the hill / Plenty Gorge Parklands?

PG2736

One of Us
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
Yes had to brake for them too.
I nearly hit one on the Friday night of QBW. Just as we came around the bend to go up the Hotham Rd from Harrietville one decided to cross the road. We have had plenty of close calls (along the back rd of Bright near the golf course to about 8km up the Hotham rd.) Only a matter of time before I hit one

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Few years back did a day trip to Buller when they extended into October. Probably 6am, quite a bit of light at that stage of the morning. On the ring road proper - a big roo decided to jump across the freeway. Thankfully 4 lanes and what must have been the lowest traffic volume you'll see on that road meant I could safely avoid it

Had a suicidal emu run into my car in the strezlecki desert over Easter - thankfully hitting the corner of my rear bar and did no damage

Back on topic somewhat, reiterating what others have said above me. Omeo way lots of wombats between Bruthen and DP; lots of deer between Myrtleford and halfway up the hotham road. Take it easy out there

plink01

Addicted
Jun 27, 2018
Haha mate Greensborough is the native home of the roo! I spent my entire life there and i would have roos in my front lawn most days, and I lived in the suburbs. I would ride past them every day on my pushy on my way to work.

I now live rural and I don't see 1/50th the amount of roo's out here compared to the amount there was bouncing around Greensy.

It was super sad when they got stuck on the Bypass. There was no way to help them and it was too dangerous to pull over. They would just sit there frozen in the emergency lane waiting to be cleaned up.

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side
WOD, Mary's, Pumphouse Drop - all Hotham faves, but never seen that in-season on WOD before.
I have seen some big cracks in there before but never a slide that big,
considering the amount of kids you see on wall of death, it goes to show how easy it can happen if the conditions are right(or wrong)
I was in marys a few years back when that let go just after they opened it after a dump, I was coming in from the side at the bottom from gotcha ridge, and it flowed past and filled the creek. Quite alarming to see in bounds...keep safe out there fellow sliders.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I have seen some big cracks in there before but never a slide that big,
considering the amount of kids you see on wall of death, it goes to show how easy it can happen if the conditions are right(or wrong)
I was in marys a few years back when that let go just after they opened it after a dump, I was coming in from the side at the bottom from gotcha ridge, and it flowed past and filled the creek. Quite alarming to see in bounds...keep safe out there fellow sliders.
I've seen that exact same slide happen at least a half dozen times. There are glide cracks most years. Very steep on a slippery layer of alpine heath.
Usually in spring tho, never before in June!

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
Yes. A regular spring occurrence to varying degrees. Those glide cracks are telltale that she be a movin'! I do second Rover's comment though that it is bigger than most occasions. Photos don't do it justice but up close and in person the debris are chonky.

Anyone else know of similar terrain inbounds our out that regularly develops a crack like the Wall of Death? I haven't come across any.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Yes. A regular spring occurrence to varying degrees. Those glide cracks are telltale that she be a movin'! I do second Rover's comment though that it is bigger than most occasions. Photos don't do it justice but up close and in person the debris are chonky.

Anyone else know of similar terrain inbounds our out that regularly develops a crack like the Wall of Death? I haven't come across any.
Lindsay's Cliffs is prone to a slide and has had some cracks.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au

Harris's Horror
Top of Machinery Spur.
Feather cornice

Reactions: Chaeron

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
Checks out, especially those sudden convexities. Funny Ive never come across a real gaping one like WoD gets but hey I'm not out there as much or as often as I would like

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
wall of death indeed (photo credit - @Snorkler)

must have been some rain

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-17 at 3.27.40 PM.jpeg
Looks like Japan

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Another full depth avi on wall of death.
Some 10 yr olds tell me that it went yesterday in the rain.
20220625_115033.jpg

20220625_115035_HDR.jpg
Wow, that snowpack is so unstable. So has there been a fair bit of rain over the last few weeks without a proper freeze?

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Wow, that snowpack is so unstable. So has there been a fair bit of rain over the last few weeks without a proper freeze?
yeah been sitting around -1 to 1 lately.
not much rain up high in the village. but it was ultra wet snow sludge, which I guess could have been rain down further.
there has been a lot of fog, which also soaks moisture into the snow pack.

Reactions: mr and Tanuki

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It seems odd how long they're taking to complete the duplication of the M1 through to Sale.

Everything seems to take longer than predicted - roads, elsewhere?

Staff shortages everywhere!

But I hate extra red lights & speed reductions but no obvious work being undertaken through the week.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Can't help noticing that the red coffee banner on the Snake Gully live cam obscures the Heavenly base (and lift queue). Coincidence? You tell me. I mean, you can tell from the Slalom Gully cam that four peeps on every chair means a queue, and it's school hols so nothing weird there. Just saying tho

On an inquisitive note, this here Sydney-based mostly Thredbo but very occasional Hotham skier asked earlier in this thread a coupla weeks back how much is usually required for Orchy side of hill to open, and someone kindly said 1-1.2m base. With Bill reporting only 69 cm and no major top-ups on the horizon, is it likely to remain closed for hols? I'm heading down from Jul 10 and hopeful, but will be happy enough to ski Heavenly runs all week. My glass is very much half full to be able to ski any decent terrain anywhere in Oz before late July, but you always hope for as much as possible. Cheers

Reactions: nezumi and Chaeron

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Can't help noticing that the red coffee banner on the Snake Gully live cam obscures the Heavenly base (and lift queue). Coincidence? You tell me. I mean, you can tell from the Slalom Gully cam that four peeps on every chair means a queue, and it's school hols so nothing weird there. Just saying tho

On an inquisitive note, this here Sydney-based mostly Thredbo but very occasional Hotham skier asked earlier in this thread a coupla weeks back how much is usually required for Orchy side of hill to open, and someone kindly said 1-1.2m base. With Bill reporting only 69 cm and no major top-ups on the horizon, is it likely to remain closed for hols? I'm heading down from Jul 10 and hopeful, but will be happy enough to ski Heavenly runs all week. My glass is very much half full to be able to ski any decent terrain anywhere in Oz before late July, but you always hope for as much as possible. Cheers
Not sure it takes conspiracy theorist logic to figure that it's going to be busy on school holidays :p
Maybe you've got some sort of csi image enhancement thing going on? I can see about 8 pixels of the lift queue, cant tell if its the fencing or people.
Brockhoff isn't run by the lift company, but I bet they put the flag there so its on the camera. Thankfully its a live cam, I had to wait about 8 seconds for it to blow out of the way. I suppose that water smudge is strategically placed also.
2022-06-26 12_47_13-Snow Cams _ Hotham Alpine Resort.png

You can see all those chairs going up on the right side are empty. so its not even 50% capacity ;P :p :p
2022-06-26 12_50_13-Snow Cams _ Hotham Alpine Resort.png

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Yeah look I wasn’t trying to go full pizza gate. I do see indeed now that when the wind blows the banner moves and the queue is visible. Observation was just a prelude to a serious question

• Haha
Reactions: nezumi

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Yeah look I wasn’t trying to go full pizza gate. I do see indeed now that when the wind blows the banner moves and the queue is visible. Observation was just a prelude to a serious question
They groomed orchard last week, and now that they've got more staff everyone thought it was going to open.
I guess the rain and avi danger put a damper on that?
There's a calm sunny day coming up, maybe I'll go have a look and see how the base is out there.

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
They groomed it to pack it down as prep and to futureproof it. No way there's enough of a base yet. Wasn't even enough before the dampness and the "avvy danger" (and what "avvy danger" has to do with the Orchard, I'm not sure). Rumours of it opening are easily quashed by the amount of shrubbery on the pistes still. Another 20-30 and it's game on

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
They groomed it to pack it down as prep and to futureproof it. No way there's enough of a base yet. Wasn't even enough before the dampness and the "avvy danger" (and what "avvy danger" has to do with the Orchard, I'm not sure). Rumours of it opening are easily quashed by the amount of shrubbery on the pistes still. Another 20-30 and it's game on
It’s not even July yet…

Reactions: Ramshead

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Can't they just grab snow from the far side of the hills and push it to the lifted areas? LOLLOL

Just like in the Winter olympics?

Vancouver (Cypress) trucked in heaps of snow.

China did heaps of man made - then it actually snowed properly - not a common event.

I think Turin might have trucked in snow too - my memory of that is fuzzy.

Just need staff n trucks n time n snow (elsewhere) n groomers, and a big fat planning/environmental permit and there you go. Full cover on piste. (;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Any and nezumi

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
Looking at the wall of death today, it looks like the snow slipped off the top of the undergrowth. I wonder if the storm produced so much dry snow that it sat on top and didn't key in.

Beautiful day today but quite warm.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Finally a break in the weather. After a nice sleepin and a couple of inbound runs it seemed to finally start to soften up, so headed to Orchard at lunch to take a look around.
With some nice sun on it the snow out there was nice and creamy, but was an extremely thin layer on a rock solid icy base. I was happy to have my fat skis helping to not hit the layer beneath.

Only 4 runs, it wasn't that exciting conditions, was just nice to get out.
Of course I had to destroy the perfect corduroy on Zirks while I was there.
Seemed like a bunch of people had been lapping Keogh's Bash yesterday, but almost no tracks of them otherwise, I guess they didn't go anywhere else. It was one of the best choices for today after all.
I was a little worried about Mary's with Wall of Death and Patroller's having gone last week. There was some signs of instability on just the surface layer, but underneath was so icy I couldn't dig through it if I tried. It didn't explode on me so that's good.

No idea why its not open yet out there. The river is filled in. The lift base is completely buried. Ski patrol have even put up a heap of signage n ropes ready to go.
Must be a huge lacking of available lifty staff. I guess it is still June after all.

20220628_121723.jpg
20220628_121726.jpg
20220628_121931.jpg
20220628_122249.jpg
20220628_123117.jpg
20220628_124309.jpg
20220628_124640.jpg
20220628_131349.jpg
20220628_132030.jpg
20220628_133223.jpg
20220628_133232(1).jpg
20220628_133228.jpg