Snow Report Hotham 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
Monday was foggy and windy.

Today was bluebird and busy. A cold morning meant it was slick in places which also meant the ski patrol were flat-out cleaning up accidents.

Orchard was closed all day due to ice concerns, but having Gotcha and Keogh’s open helped spread the crowds around.

Extreme zone was closed all day due to icy ski-out.

Ski cover is amazing for the first week of July.

I’m going XC tomorrow - first time ever. Have a morning lesson with Traverse Hotham.

Was looking to book a backcountry session with them on Thursday but there are no other bookings at this point so I’d have to wear the entire cost of the day myself.

Am considering other options.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Monday was foggy and windy.

Today was bluebird and busy. A cold morning meant it was slick in places which also meant the ski patrol were flat-out cleaning up accidents.

Orchard was closed all day due to ice concerns, but having Gotcha and Keogh’s open helped spread the crowds around.

Extreme zone was closed all day due to icy ski-out.

Ski cover is amazing for the first week of July.

I’m going XC tomorrow - first time ever. Have a morning lesson with Traverse Hotham.

Was looking to book a backcountry session with them on Thursday but there are no other bookings at this point so I’d have to wear the entire cost of the day myself.

Am considering other options.
Re Thursday, Hotham back country when it's a block of ice is not something I'd be spending a lot of cash on. That's unless it's a technical day learning ice skills.
Jealous regardless.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
Tuesday night featured a huge inversion - the temps didn't drop below freezing.

Wednesday started off very warm and became hot by midday. I spent the morning tootling around Wire Plane with Glen from Traverse Hotham getting my first taste of XC.

It was quite frustrating! For someone that can ice-skate, roller-blade, and skate on Alpine skis...XC is a completely different kettle of fish. I was on rental 'traditional' skis - not sure what difference that would make.

In the warm and sunny afternoon, I took my daughter to Australia Drift, rather than repeat the 'combat skiing' exercises from Monday and Tuesday of getting her down Slalom Gully/Snake Gully on an afternoon trying to not to get obliterated by snowboarders. One raced right over her ski tails..it was a close run thing.

Anyway - the Drift was firm, challenging in parts but achievable and definitely the best intermediate skiing on the hill.

Last night the southerly kicked in and we got an overnight freeze. Today the cloud cover kept temps below freezing all day, and the snow-pack was in great shape.

I spent the morning again on XC - my wife and I negotiated our first green trail out of Wire Plain. In the afternoon my daughter skied with a new-found-ski-school friend and they headed out to the Orchard. As mentioned before, both Slalom and Snake Gully were in great shape. Sure the moguls were getting large towards the end of the day, but the snow stayed dry and and consistent. The best skiing was still in the snowmaking areas (i.e. Imagine, Snake Gully). We gave Peach Bowl and Purgatory Spur a go. They were skiable...but still firm in spots and hard going. Skiing aggressively to cut through the crust reaped dividends. We had a look at Southern Cross but bailed early - frozen blocks of moguls didn't look appealing.

Ski Patrol say the bottom third of the Extreme Zone is still solid ice - until the snowpack gets some more moisture it will remain closed.

Hotham is a different mountain once the Orchard opens. When it is shut (along with Blue Ribbon) - it turns into a zoo.

My skiing creed has always been to develop skills so you can ski where others can't, so you can enjoy your communion with the mountain in relative peace and solitude.

With the Extreme Zone shut, this limits my chance to achieve my spritual requirements.

It makes sense that XC becomes more attractive to me as I get older. $200 lift tickets also seal the deal. I may not get the necessary feeling of throwing yourself off a mountain and experiencing those few precious microseconds of zero-g, but you get the serenity.

Last edited:

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Tuesday night featured a huge inversion - the temps didn't drop below freezing.

Wednesday started off very warm and became hot by midday. I spent the morning tootling around Wire Plane with Glen from Traverse Hotham getting my first taste of XC.

It was quite frustrating! For someone that can ice-skate, roller-blade, and skate on Alpine skis...XC is a completely different kettle of fish. I was on rental 'traditional' skis - not sure what difference that would make.

In the warm and sunny afternoon, I took my daughter to Australia Drift, rather than repeat the 'combat skiing' exercises from Monday and Tuesday of getting her down Slalom Gully/Snake Gully on an afternoon trying to not to get obliterated by snowboarders. Once raced right over her ski tails..it was a close run thing.

Anyway - the Drift was firm, challenging in parts but achievable and definitely the best intermediate skiing on the hill.

Last night the southerly kicked in and we got an overnight freeze. Today the cloud cover kept temps below freezing all day, and the snow-pack was in great shape.

I spent the morning again on XC - my wife and I negotiated our first green trail out of Wire Plain. In the afternoon my daughter skied with a new-found-ski-school friend and they headed out to the Orchard. As mentioned before, both Slalom and Snake Gully were in great shape. Sure the moguls were getting large towards the end of the day, but the snow stayed dry and and consistent. The best skiing was still in the snowmaking areas (i.e. Imagine, Snake Gully). We gave Peach Bowl and Purgatory Spur a go. They were skiable...but still firm in spots and hard going. Skiing aggressively to cut through the crust reaped dividends. We had a look at Southern Cross but bailed early - frozen blocks of moguls didn't look appealing.

Ski Patrol say the bottom third of the Extreme Zone is still solid ice - until the snowpack gets some more moisture it will remain closed.

Hotham is a different mountain once the Orchard opens. When it is shut (along with Blue Ribbon) - it turns into a zoo.

My skiing creed has always been to develop skills so you can ski where others can't, so you can enjoy your communion with the mountain in relative peace and solitude.

With the Extreme Zone shut, this limits my chance to achieve my spritual requirements.

It makes sense that XC becomes more attractive to me as I get older. $200 lift tickets also seal the deal. I may not get the necessary feeling of throwing yourself off a mountain and experiencing those few precious microseconds of zero-g, but you get the serenity.
Are you learning skate or classic?
Both (but more skate) are a little dependent on trail conditions, so its good to be out early.
Rental XC skis are fine, most of mine are ex-rental from @teckel (except for some high end skaters)
Christmas Hill network is beautiful, take a picnic and stare across at the crowds.

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
Anyone been to the Bird since it’s come under Vail ownership? Hoping I can still get a sausage roll when I’m up.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Nope. Sausage rolls at the Hoff Hut are good! Also had a steak at zirkys tonight was very good.

Sad to say, the yanks don’t really know about sausage rolls - unless they have a connection to old Blighty.

But every now and then, they ‘invent’ something to prove how clever & original they are: :rolleyes:

My take: Don’t let any big wig from Vail near the menu planning at Aussie resorts. ;)

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Anyone been to the Bird since it’s come under Vail ownership? Hoping I can still get a sausage roll when I’m up.
just chips afaik.
Chill bar, in the main building, has a heap of good things like that for lunch, plus some more healthier food.
The supermarket supposedly has good saussage rolls and meat pies too.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Yep, after the Meg it gets serious. Any fog, cloud or snow means it's harden to concentrate on road surface conditions. Were the orange poles visible?

Home now so I can reply - I can never get used to using the forums on my phone!
At a couple of points I had visibility of 2 poles only, but it wasn't too concerning overall.

The drive down this morning was sketchier though. As I was packing to leave I got word through that others from the lodge had been held up due to an accident on the Harrietville approach, with traffic extending through the tunnel/bridge almost to Central. It was clear by the time I set off, although I did see the accident site/vehicle - but only after I had a momentary loss of traction and did a 180 (eeep!). Managed to control it and took it even easier after that (I was only doing ~25-30km/h at the time?)

I feel like I should start to let people know what day I'm leaving, as it's invariably the day when we actually get some snowfall!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
At a couple of points I had visibility of 2 poles only, but it wasn't too concerning overall.

The drive down this morning was sketchier though. As I was packing to leave I got word through that others from the lodge had been held up due to an accident on the Harrietville approach, with traffic extending through the tunnel/bridge almost to Central. It was clear by the time I set off, although I did see the accident site/vehicle - but only after I had a momentary loss of traction and did a 180 (eeep!). Managed to control it and took it even easier after that (I was only doing ~25-30km/h at the time?)

I feel like I should start to let people know what day I'm leaving, as it's invariably the day when we actually get some snowfall!
Whoa, do you know what caused the loss of traction?

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

eek! with chains on?!

Reactions: Tanuki

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
eek! with chains on?!
I came off the hill today via Omeo because the Harrietville approach required chain fitting to AWD's. I thought this was a nanny state over reaction...but apparently not...hats off to he or she who made the call. As for the Omeo drive - I hit my first ever patch of black ice in 25 years of alpine driving and went a little sideways for a moment. Probably a product of the recent inversion. A real lesson in complacency for me...

MarkV

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 4, 2016
I came off the hill today via Omeo because the Harrietville approach required chain fitting to AWD's. I thought this was a nanny state over reaction...but apparently not...hats off to he or she who made the call. As for the Omeo drive - I hit my first ever patch of black ice in 25 years of alpine driving and went a little sideways for a moment. Probably a product of the recent inversion. A real lesson in complacency for me...
Omeo side has a lot potential spots for black ice.

PG2736

One of Us
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
I had to pop down to Bright today to pick up some medical supplies and food. Here is some pics of the car off the road. Conditions weren’t that bad. Took forever to get down as people were going so slowly - almost made it worse.
B35271B0-5CDB-4B19-90F0-A6477C0E00C8.jpeg
776C4F89-5254-48AF-814A-CE2A65C556AB.jpeg
CD67E870-6227-4D89-9037-5DDFC7B993B3.jpeg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
eek! with chains on?!
I had to pop down to Bright today to pick up some medical supplies and food. Here is some pics of the car off the road. Conditions weren’t that bad. Took forever to get down as people were going so slowly - almost made it worse.
B35271B0-5CDB-4B19-90F0-A6477C0E00C8.jpeg
776C4F89-5254-48AF-814A-CE2A65C556AB.jpeg
CD67E870-6227-4D89-9037-5DDFC7B993B3.jpeg

Is that the infamous, Baldy/Blowhard section?

Nasty, Hotham road does not take prisoners. :(o_O

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
Are you learning skate or classic?
Both (but more skate) are a little dependent on trail conditions, so its good to be out early.
Rental XC skis are fine, most of mine are ex-rental from @teckel (except for some high end skaters)
Christmas Hill network is beautiful, take a picnic and stare across at the crowds.
I was learning classic on classic rentals from Hoys.

Next time I'll rent some skate skis.

Although I'm curious how do turn/stop on toothpicks with no edges?!?

• Haha
Reactions: neilmny

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I was learning classic on classic rentals from Hoys.

Next time I'll rent some skate skis.

Although I'm curious how do turn/stop on toothpicks with no edges?!?
Hockey stop if you’re good enough and if not too icy or steep.

Step-steering can work if you’re on a well-groomed trail with lots of space/ moderate slope.

As a long-time chookie-footer, and infrequent skater, I note that sudden stops and and skating are semi-mutually exclusive. o_O

But I’m sure experienced skaters find a away - to live another day? ;)

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Whoa, do you know what caused the loss of traction?

eek! with chains on?!

Not sure at all what caused it. Didn't feel like the wheels locked up, *possibly* too much turn angle even for the low speed we were doing.

Yes to chains on.

Front wheel drive car with chains on at the front, so it felt like it was the rear wheels that lost traction as it was a very tight rotation. I didn't see anything in terms of warning lights, but it may have been ABS or similar kicking in? Not sure. I'm just happy that I turned into the spin to complete the rotation while slowing.

Reactions: Tanuki and Any

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au
There are issues when snow chains are used on 2WD or AWD ‘summer’ tyres. On summer tyres snow chains will grip to the snow/ice but the tyre can slip or spin the chain even when they are correctly tensioned on to the tyre. The problem is worse when the vehicle has been parked at the resort because the low ambient temperature makes the tyres harder and therefore has even less grip to the chain.
The issue is compounded by the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle and the amount of tread on the tyre.

Wheel chains fitted to summer tyres on the front wheels of a 2WD or AWD will increase traction for take off and driving but can not assist with lateral stability. Because of the inadequate grip on the rear tyres the vehicle will oversteer and when braking the ABS system will be activated, further increasing the stopping distance. The problems are always worse when driving down hill than up hill.

Wheel chains fitted to summer tyres on the rear wheels of a 2WD or AWD will increase traction for take off and driving but can not assist with steering or lateral stability. Because of inadequate grip on the front tyres the vehicle will not ‘turn in’, it will understeer and when braking the ABS system will be activated, further increasing the stopping distance. Again the problems are always worse when driving down hill than up hill.

For wheel chains to work effectively, especially when fitted to wide low profile tyres, they must be able to rely on the tread of the tyre for grip to help prevent the wheel from spinning inside the chain or the chain ‘rolling’ off the tyre due to the lateral loads when cornering.
Wheel chains need to have firm compacted snow or ice to penetrate to provide the maximum amount of traction. Traction is often lost when the snow and/or ice begins to break up or melts and wheel spin is experienced. In certain situations, i.e. on a ‘bare’ road, the vehicle can slide on the wheel chains. In order for wheel chains to work effectively they must penetrate in to a compacted surface.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure at all what caused it

Inexperienced driver - can't identify cause of problem

POS kia or whatever @nezumi has with poorly calibrated and overly invasive electronic systems which can cause more issues on slippery surfaces. Probably cheap tyres too

Chains not fitted properly

Not driving in straight lines

may have been ABS or similar kicking in? Not sure

Shouldn't be hitting brakes anywhere near hard enough to get close to ABS. Shouldn't be using brakes at all if possible. Use the cars gearing

Anyway I'm not being critical - honest constructive feedback. Glad you're ok @nezumi

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Take it easy on the road if you are not confident. Pull over for faster drivers at the FIRST safe opportunity

Here is a video from a few years back. Footage is from my friends dashcam. He was leaving the resort on a Sunday afternoon with strong winds blowing snow over the cross area, making visibility almost non existent

I was driving back from bright after a supply run. I am in the silver subaru

Old mate who went for the overtake made a very poor decision. Had I not been in 1st gear doing 15kmhr or so (accounting for weekend warriors in those conditions) then it would have been crash and roll down to the creek below the cross

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
Not sure at all what caused it. Didn't feel like the wheels locked up, *possibly* too much turn angle even for the low speed we were doing.

Yes to chains on.

Front wheel drive car with chains on at the front, so it felt like it was the rear wheels that lost traction as it was a very tight rotation. I didn't see anything in terms of warning lights, but it may have been ABS or similar kicking in? Not sure. I'm just happy that I turned into the spin to complete the rotation while slowing.

Did you touch your brakes? Think about it. All your traction is up front. Add steering angle and a tap of the brakes and those rears are going to pivot around your front wheels like Natalie Portman in The Black Swan, especially when heading down hill. Hongo knows: low gear, gradual curves, no touchy those brakes in the corner.

Gotta say though, Friday morning was surprisingly slick. Even got the back end of the Triton hanging out on the meg and plenty of slick spots before there was any snow on the road at all. Even then, I thank the Honda driver (sarcastic) for making road management shit the bed and ask for chains on all vehicles. 4WD did not need it, and barely 2WDs would have needed it, too. Still, I get why they did. Too many kooks

Reactions: hongomania

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
I thank the Honda driver (sarcastic) for making road management shit the bed and ask for chains on all vehicles. 4WD did not need it. Too many kooks
I cbf with the Bright side of the road. Especially given I have triple LSDs in the disco (front, rear and transfer case), low range and manual. It really is a rally 4x4 now. There's no need for chains if Im driving to the conditions. That being said I do have chains for all 4 wheels for my bc adventures

I feel post 2012 the chain requirements have trended towards being fitted more and more often, often unnecessarily for more experienced drivers or those with snow tyres. Just look at the condition of the road between hotham and DP, torn up from 2wd with chains on the bitumen

Reactions: Hermannator

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
There are issues when snow chains are used on 2WD or AWD ‘summer’ tyres. On summer tyres snow chains will grip to the snow/ice but the tyre can slip or spin the chain even when they are correctly tensioned on to the tyre. The problem is worse when the vehicle has been parked at the resort because the low ambient temperature makes the tyres harder and therefore has even less grip to the chain.
The issue is compounded by the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle and the amount of tread on the tyre.

Wheel chains fitted to summer tyres on the front wheels of a 2WD or AWD will increase traction for take off and driving but can not assist with lateral stability. Because of the inadequate grip on the rear tyres the vehicle will oversteer and when braking the ABS system will be activated, further increasing the stopping distance. The problems are always worse when driving down hill than up hill.

Wheel chains fitted to summer tyres on the rear wheels of a 2WD or AWD will increase traction for take off and driving but can not assist with steering or lateral stability. Because of inadequate grip on the front tyres the vehicle will not ‘turn in’, it will understeer and when braking the ABS system will be activated, further increasing the stopping distance. Again the problems are always worse when driving down hill than up hill.

For wheel chains to work effectively, especially when fitted to wide low profile tyres, they must be able to rely on the tread of the tyre for grip to help prevent the wheel from spinning inside the chain or the chain ‘rolling’ off the tyre due to the lateral loads when cornering.
Wheel chains need to have firm compacted snow or ice to penetrate to provide the maximum amount of traction. Traction is often lost when the snow and/or ice begins to break up or melts and wheel spin is experienced. In certain situations, i.e. on a ‘bare’ road, the vehicle can slide on the wheel chains. In order for wheel chains to work effectively they must penetrate in to a compacted surface.

Chains fitted that morning, tightened after 100m and then drove from O/N parking to day area to load the car before driving down the hill. Chains checked again for tension prior to departure, and had no slack at removal. I'm not going to say that I'm an expert snow driver, but I'm also not a mug.

Did you touch your brakes? Think about it. All your traction is up front. Add steering angle and a tap of the brakes and those rears are going to pivot around your front wheels like Natalie Portman in The Black Swan, especially when heading down hill. Hongo knows: low gear, gradual curves, no touchy those brakes in the corner.

Gotta say though, Friday morning was surprisingly slick. Even got the back end of the Triton hanging out on the meg and plenty of slick spots before there was any snow on the road at all. Even then, I thank the Honda driver (sarcastic) for making road management shit the bed and ask for chains on all vehicles. 4WD did not need it, and barely 2WDs would have needed it, too. Still, I get why they did. Too many kooks

Nope, same strategy as when on my bike - all braking happens before tipping in to the corner. 180 occurred on a straight bit of the road between the resort and the crash site pictured above.
Inexperienced driver - can't identify cause of problem

POS kia or whatever @nezumi has with poorly calibrated and overly invasive electronic systems which can cause more issues on slippery surfaces. Probably cheap tyres too

Chains not fitted properly

Not driving in straight lines

Shouldn't be hitting brakes anywhere near hard enough to get close to ABS. Shouldn't be using brakes at all if possible. Use the cars gearing

Anyway I'm not being critical - honest constructive feedback. Glad you're ok @nezumi

Experienced driver who is keenly aware of the fallibility of human memory and doesn't care to speculate without reason. Modern vehicle with a better occupant and pedestrian safety rating that whatever POS way-too-big 4x4 Hongo chooses to cruise around in.

Not being critical, just an honest assessment of the attitude presented.

Reactions: Tanuki

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
I cbf with the Bright side of the road. Especially given I have triple LSDs in the disco (front, rear and transfer case), low range and manual. It really is a rally 4x4 now. There's no need for chains if Im driving to the conditions. That being said I do have chains for all 4 wheels for my bc adventures

I feel post 2012 the chain requirements have trended towards being fitted more and more often, often unnecessarily for more experienced drivers or those with snow tyres. Just look at the condition of the road between hotham and DP, torn up from 2wd with chains on the bitumen

Chains for 10ks on wet bitumen sure is a drag and it's become all too common.

My technique is to get up the road early before the chain crews, resort entry observers and anyone but those who drive it regularly are hitting it. Gives me the ability to fit chains where I think I should and avoid the carnage.

Reactions: dr80 and hongomania

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
not going to say that I'm an expert snow driver, but I'm also not a mug

Experienced driver who is keenly aware of the fallibility of human memory and doesn't care to speculate without reason
Didn't say you were a mug, we all make mistakes and chains can be a problem for the best of us

Fair enough. I could provide a commentary of any drive and reasoning for any incidents, but I'm a keen bean

Modern vehicle with a better occupant and pedestrian safety rating that whatever POS way-too-big 4x4 Hongo chooses to cruise around in
What car do you drive? Your occupant and safety rating mean nothing in this snow driving scenario. Im perfectly safe in the disco with its ladder frame, steel body + barwork. Also it has airbags, ETC (which works in conjunction with mechanical LSDs) ABS, HDC, heavily modified drivetrain for maximum performance in mixed slippery conditions, should I go on?

But your "modern" vehicle is better? The same one you spun in with chains on?

My 4x4 is not way too big, only 100 inch wheelbase and 74 inch width is mid sized

A necessary car given the locations I access

Pedestrian rating - like that matters - whose going around hitting all these people?

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
Chains fitted that morning, tightened after 100m and then drove from O/N parking to day area to load the car before driving down the hill. Chains checked again for tension prior to departure, and had no slack at removal. I'm not going to say that I'm an expert snow driver, but I'm also not a mug.

Nope, same strategy as when on my bike - all braking happens before tipping in to the corner. 180 occurred on a straight bit of the road between the resort and the crash site pictured above.

Experienced driver who is keenly aware of the fallibility of human memory and doesn't care to speculate without reason. Modern vehicle with a better occupant and pedestrian safety rating that whatever POS way-too-big 4x4 Hongo chooses to cruise around in.

Not being critical, just an honest assessment of the attitude presented.

Kudos for pulling a pirouette on a straight without any steering or braking input. But I guess it does happen on occasion. Would love to know where it was.

I'm not defending Hongo, since he hates my people (one plankers who pull fake faceshots at every opportunity ;) ) but I think you're missing a couple of points. The main one being that modern vehicles with all their interventions and electronic inputs can cause drama without driver input. I know the older C-RVs, lthe one that kissed the gnarly snowgum looked like a C-RV but newer, only engage AWD based on sensors that sense slip. Maybe the C-RV had some kind of automatic safety traction bullshit engage and sent them into a spin. Maybe that's what happened to you too Tanuki?

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
It does happen on occasion
Yep
I'm not defending Hongo, since he hates my people (one plankers who pull fake faceshots at every opportunity ;) )
Back to that conversation one more time - it's really only punter snowboarders I don't like on non beginner terrain. If you can actually ride then send it
You'remissing a couple of points. The main one being that modern vehicles with all their interventions and electronic inputs can cause drama without driver input
Spot on

Reactions: StashyMcStash

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Wonder if old mate in the CRV had the checkpoint vignette - do the HV road users think this initiative is succeeding?

StashyMcStash

One of Us
Jun 16, 2021
Wonder if old mate in the CRV had the checkpoint vignette - do the HV road users think this initiative is succeeding?

The checkpoint out of Harrietville? They can fit 4 cars at a time and anyone else just gets waved through. They wave me through with a season pass sticker, but if they want to be smart about it they should have created diagonal-parallel park points that go back to the road all lined up so that the car at the front faffing around doesn't a) Slow down the process, and b) slow down the process to the point that chain-less and clueless crew glide on by.

Based on its position, the CRV would have most likely been on its way down from Hotham because I can't see how they managed to f it up so badly on that straight bit of up.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Very dangerous sequence of corners at the top of the hill. Narrow, windy, bumpy, poor surface, drop off's, icy

A timely reminder for all of us and our family/friends to take more care.

You hear & see so many comments, including on this forum, about ‘all the nervous Nellies’ driving slowly up and down Hotham.

My take (mid 50s, family, nearly 40 years going to the snow/bush), if the Slowlies on the GAR, etc… won’t pull over to let a line of cars pass, that’s one thing. Sure, Criticise.

But if folks here are having to slow down in dangerous conditions to avoid becoming a statistic or creating a hazard for others, I say suck it up. Trying to save five minutes at each end of the journey is just not worth it when risking your lives.

…it’s a life-sentence of regret.

I hope the occupants at both accident sites have escaped major injury. Cobrunga sounds nasty.

Be safe people.

Reactions: nezumi

Slush

Addicted
Aug 10, 1999
Hotham or Melbourne
They wave me through with a season pass sticker,
A what?
I'll admit I left one on for a couple of years due to being too lazy to clean the car properly, but I haven't seen one of those for 5 years or so. Is it something you can request?
(I struggle to remember if I actually paid for the pass each year - the sticker used to be a good reminder)

Drove up friday afternoon. Wasn't asked to fit chains, thought the scandaniavian chick on the checkpoint at harrietville was worth stopping to chat too, but don't really see the point otherwise.

Slush

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
A what?
I'll admit I left one on for a couple of years due to being too lazy to clean the car properly, but I haven't seen one of those for 5 years or so. Is it something you can request?
(I struggle to remember if I actually paid for the pass each year - the sticker used to be a good reminder)

Drove up friday afternoon. Wasn't asked to fit chains, thought the scandaniavian chick on the checkpoint at harrietville was worth stopping to chat too, but don't really see the point otherwise.

Slush

If you have purchased a season pass then you can get one at the Harrietville approach if it's staffed, or at the RMB office if not. It essentially allows you to bypass the Harrietville checkpoint by confirming that you have resort entry paid for (easy) and that you are carrying chains and are able to fit them if required. You should have received an email about this in late June if you already had a vehicle season entry permit.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Hotham skied well today. Haven’t been here in winter for at least 10 years. No chains required on my 2wd. Ascended hill around 11:00. Musta been just before accident. Where is cobungra hill?

Anyway the skiing. Davenport access is surely on its last legs before the next snow. Be shocked if it’s open tomorrow unless they push a lot on. Do they even do that?

Hill was a bit tricky to read. I thought north facing slopes would soften but keoghs bash stayed crunchy all day. Twirligig was most enjoyable skiing on the hill although there were some average scenes in the gully near the bottom with snowboarders stopping in silly places and so forth when they ran outa momentum and just kinda stayed sitting there having a picnic or seance or who the fk knows what. Sun run into sundowner was soft and smooth, then soft and mostly enjoyably bumpy and the best long run on the hill. Avoided heavenly mostly as was chopped up and icy when we got on the hill around 1. Looking forward to it tomorrow. Seeyas on the hill

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Sundowner was shut the entire time I was on the hill..which was really bloody annoying!

I was hoping to try that too. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for some decent dumps throughout the rest of the season so that I can possibly get away for a couple of nights and finally hit up Orchard and Blue Ribbon, as I missed my chance at Orchard due to kid wrangling duties on our trip, and Blue Ribbon wasn't running at all.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Hotham is a completely different mountain when Blue Ribbon runs.

It's the most under-rated part of the hill IMO.

There are challenging blues out wide, and nice bumps down the guts. Something for everyone.
August 2004, I reckon I spent 3 full days just skiing Blue Ribbon. It's just a great area, no crowds and if the weather closes in it keeps running when Heavenly / Summit close.
Although I do have fond memories of being stuck on the lift for 30 minutes near the end of a day when it ran out of fuel...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using