1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hotham "Brand New Day"

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by nezumi, May 6, 2019.

1. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

As is probably expected by now, I was browsing the Hotham website, and came upon this gem of an offer: Hotham Brand New Day

$79 for a first timer to have 1 day of gear hire, 5 hours of lessons, lunch, a coffee and a drink.

Unfortunately the Powers That Be have seen fit to not line up anything decent, and so none of the coach services are running that weekend - most are starting either the Monday after, or even later.

So then the options become
    1. Stay in Bright/Harrietville for two nights and drive up and back on Saturday.
    2. Hope that the Alpslink bus has commenced its Winter timetable and stay on mountain for two nights.

Have I missed out on anything obvious? It seems a little bit absurd that no-one thought to have an easy transport option available the day they run an offer targeted squarely at people who have never been on the snow before.

Bogong likes this.
  2. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

Interestingly, the list of lifts that are available for this package includes Playground.
    Does this mean the Playground chair will be operating in 2019?

Bogong likes this.
  3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You should write to Hotham and ask if (in the absence of Playground chair) they meant access to Road Runner

nezumi likes this.
  4. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Oooooo interesting..... buy the 79 ticket - theres a contract - then write to hotham and remind them they are offering to provide access to playground. :)

nezumi likes this.
  5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

road runner is also listed so that can't be it.

bound to be fine print about subject to lifts being open :(

6. mr

Yeah.....Playground mid load is great for beginners on shit weather days

7. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

I reckon it's a copy and paste error from a 2018 offer. As far as I'm aware, the removal of the Playground lift hasn't happened, so I expect it will just sit there as an idle monument for the rest of 2019

currawong and nezumi like this.
  8. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

I'm just disappointed at the lack of support for this from other areas of Hotham - mountain access isn't great, daycare is running but the kid's ski school isn't available, etc. We have a 3 year old, and the thought of leaving him with his grandparents for the two nights that would reasonably be needed for us to attend the offer isn't great.

The thought of doing it as a day trip, even with two of us and coming from the Northern Suburbs, is none too appealing.

9. mr

Yeah its the 'skiiers mountain'....all my 3 kids, now teens or tweens, grew up there with us parents swapping roles (ski / kids) and staying in club lodges... theres alot of work at gotham with kids.....but its worth it in the end when they can just go out on their own, with their mates, or everyone is out together. If you want an easier family ride go to falls imo....but yeah neither is a day trip

skiflat and nezumi like this.
  10. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

We're going to Perisher in August so that he can snowboard, but I was hoping that if we had to take him up with us to take advantage of the Brand New Day offer, we could at least have him in ski school for the full day, even if it meant having to hire skis and boots for him. Unfortunately no such luck - it's daycare, bring the grandparents with us and have them entertain him all day, or leave him with them for 2 nights.

11. Donkey

Donkey Hard Yards

Booked the Mrs into this program and booked a couple of nights in dinner plain now hoping for some snow. No doubt they will have some man made for this program but hoping for a bit more for me!!

nezumi likes this.
  12. nezumi

nezumi Addicted

Nice! I am actually contemplating flying in to Hotham, as there is a charter air company doing regular flights in this year. Price would not be far off a return bus journey - add on the cost of accommodation and time lost, and you're ahead.

Donkey likes this.