1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hotham Brochure 2007

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by trent78, Mar 6, 2007.

1. trent78

trent78 First Runs

Arrived in the mail today...

They are really pricing themselves out of the market. However the tertiary season pass for $750 (early bird) is a good idea. Pretty easy to make your own student card.

2. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

The brochure looks good but it's a pretty useless publication.

Very very little useful info in it. If you've never been to Hotham you wouldn't learn anything about the place from that brochure

3. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

#3 VSG, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

New Hotham, Bale, Day Spas and heared walkways are a total unnecessary wa/\/k and can all go to hell as far as im concerned.

5. rollercoaster

rollercoaster First Runs

ha ha ha...thats hilarious. I love how much snow there is! It will most likely be ice mud lined streets! [​IMG]

#5 rollercoaster, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

^^ i was in stockholm recently and they have heated footpaths there, works pretty well. Gets all muddy and shirty from the cars anyway.

7. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

I never got the expected thrill from that "Fly-through" - with its gloomy stone and concrete canyons and no hint of sunshine. The guys that built that "Flash" promo aren't skiers or boarders, methinks.

8. The Frog

The Frog Old n' Crusty

I got mine today too. Impressive from a design and content perspective. Got the Buller one yesterday and also thought the layout and design was good, just needed a heavier stock front cover.

9. lonsdale

lonsdale Hard Yards

Hopeless brochure purely directed at the top end of the market.
    John Schryver does not inspire confidence; looks more like a real estate agent than dedicated skier.
    "Astute investors get a lifetime ski pass!"
    What about those of us who have year after year purchased weekly or seasons passes; why no insentive offered to us!!
    Only slopside improvement is water + Wow 5 new snow guns to be permanately stationed along the Sundowner Run; what happened to the guns that were already there?
    Once again no mention of a lift upgrade; same old slow lifts available year after year.
    Shopping; restaurants; spas etc etc; the brochure forgot to talk about the skiing and why we go there!
    $90 a day ticket; they are expecting a big return for their Super Fund + Park entry fees + accommodation + chains + skis boots etc. + the kids in ski school at $500 for 5 days. We are now talking big bucks.
    NZ sadly offers better packages and in reality is more accessible.
    These new guys on the block are expecting big returns on their dollars and are expecting the top end of town to support them in their efforts to develop Hotham; they appear to have forgotton or ignore the Lodge Skiers and the regulars who return year after year.
    They are top flight developers; case in point was a meeting last year put on by the deveopers to address lodge and local concerns; they paraded a bunch of suits and had the meeting shut down within 15 minutes.
    The brochure does not inspire me to continue to ski Hotham; knowing what is availble elsewhere in Australia, NZ and Overseas my hard earned dollars will gain better value elsewhere.
    Bottom line: The New developers are ignoring the coal face dedicated people and famlies who return each year. If you dont have access to bulk dollars then "we dont want to know you".

10. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Now that is saying it well :clap:

And yet we hear some trying to make us feel guilty by shouting from the roof tops "support out ski industry" well we might be inclined to when they start investing in what it used to be all about, you remember - skiing :rolleyes:

My God, bring back the "old" Hotham please, yes it was a bit grungy but it was always about the skiing, not this crap.

#10 Hunter, Mar 6, 2007
  11. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

The guns that where there weren't permanent. They moved them around the mountain as the season went on. They started on the Big D and Bottom of summit and slowly made their way around the mountain after covering each area.

Having permanent guns on Sundowner will mean they can get it open earlier and for longer. It will take a bit of pressure off the top of Slalom Gully. I wonder if they will put any snow onto Pump House Drop?

#11 Cuppa, Mar 7, 2007
  12. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

Pump house would be a good thing to snowmake... it seems to be in the shade for a lot of the early winter (which is when you make the big gains in base size). It will also give the experienced skiiers a bit of fun early on.

13. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

has there been any word about the guns on heavenly that they were yabbering about this time last year?

14. The Frog

The Frog Old n' Crusty

And some wonder why the resort reps don't post in here.

15. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

It's been the catch cry for the last few seasons. I'm joining this bandwagon.
    Yes bring back the old Hotham.
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

#15 Fangin'Wolvy, Mar 7, 2007
  16. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

No they are not doing Heavenly this year. The pooh farm pipes are going in though as we speak. I don't think it is being hooked up yet though to assist with the snow making.

#16 the_guru, Mar 7, 2007
  17. Hunter

I think we are just managing to survive without them, we always have the resort guides and press releases to sustain us if we are fretting.

#17 Hunter, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  18. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

Not a very good rep of something if you cant handle a few questions about your resort, and listen to and answer some concerns/critisms from the people that pay for your job

#18 Hopey1, Mar 7, 2007
  19. The Frog

The Frog Old n' Crusty

It started as a few questions then a few criticisms then more and more and more...do people do that to you at work?

...and Hunter, they did have the guts to post under their real titles for all to see, you could do the same or will you just continue to write negatives about them without disclosing what media outlet you work for?

20. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

Yeah Hunter tell us.

21. guymcfly

guymcfly First Runs

I think we'd be mad to book anything @ Hotham this year...unless your idea of a snow trip is to sit in an oh so trendy cafe in the very latest gear...

we're in the grip of a shocking drought...no water = no snow, and we need more than guns can provide. I was there last season, and usually have more snow in my freezer a few months prior to its 100 000th hour or 100 000th bag of peas defrost (whichever comes last).

Allow for air fares, I still reckon I can do 2-3 weeks in NZ for the same cost as a week at Hotham...and the snow is much better.

And I think every1 here is correct...new hotham is aimed at a load of rich dorks who are to frightend to get their super-pricey-must-have- worn-only-once snow gear in the least bit wet.

22. The Frog

The Frog Old n' Crusty

So should Hotham start to build some old accommodation then?

23. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

Has the pooh farm been upgraded yet?

#23 Cuppa, Mar 8, 2007
  24. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

What a load of Carp. You are describing Buller or Thredbo.

#24 the_guru, Mar 8, 2007
  25. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

There are still a few old lodges up here. For reasonable rates too.

#25 the_guru, Mar 8, 2007
  26. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

True, Guru, but some of the club lodges are tragically run down, and the baby-boomers who are the members of these clubs aren't recruiting the newer generations to club membership. Very soon we will see hundreds of these old club lodges come on the market around the country.

If anyone is looking to run a low - middle grade commercial establishment, now would be a good time to start looking.

27. The Frog

The Frog Old n' Crusty

But surely most will be bought, knocked down and rebuilt....same as you would do to an old house.

28. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Bogong, I don't think that I'm strictly a baby boomer, but I must be an old fart. I joined a lodge at Falls last year and I know a few other people (admittedly not young 'uns) that have recently joined, including someone from these forums. I thought the price was so attractive that I joined even though it's less than an hour from home. I can get a week's accomodation in a prime location for $228 (plus annual fee). Why would this not be attractive to people complaining that sking is getting too expensive?

At Hotham SIC last year I stayed at a different (semi-commercial) club lodge. The room was tiny, but in every other respect it was very good, including friendly people.

I understand the problems that some lodges are having, but some seem to be doing quite well, offering good affordable facilities for keen skiers (and other snow lovers)

29. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I reckon its only the club lodges and to a lesser extent the sub-alpine town that put a slight brake on the rate of accommodation cost-increases.

As most of us have discussed previously, its not just the lift prices but the housing/mtn-entry fees etc... that threaten the industry.

Unfortunately, our ski centres are just to far from most population centres (unlike Europe, Canada and even NZ to a degree) so it's extremely hard to enjoy regular day visits to the snow. And this makes Aussie skiers effectively captive to the large mtn developments taking over the smaller, more affordable ones. [​IMG]

#29 snowgum, Mar 8, 2007
  30. Hopey1

Hopey1 One of Us

yes they do..but then i work at hotham [​IMG]

#30 Hopey1, Mar 8, 2007
  31. Bogong

Currawong. Sadly I'm no longer a kid myself (see my profile), and I used to be a member of a club lodge too. There are lots of clubs that are prospering, but I'd estimate that almost half are in a slow and irreversable decline. At your resort at Falls Creek most of the discount commercial accomodation is in former club lodges like Aurora.

I only said that many club lodges are in decline partly because not enough people under 45 are joining to replace the baby-boomers who are leaving due to old age. It's sad but true. But overall, I like clubs. For a start they usually have better lounge rooms than other places.

32. piranha

piranha Hard Yards

The Hotham resort entry is only $1.50 (FC$28 - Hoth$29.50) more than Falls Creek yet the season permit is $85 more (FC$175 - Hoth$260). Why are they asking their loyal customer base (season pass holders) to bear the burden? No amount of glossy brochures can help them. I want to pay to ski not look at fancy architecture.

33. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

Don't look then. Just ski.
    There is no fancy architecture on the runs.

34. piranha

piranha Hard Yards

Thats clearly not the point of my post "guru".

35. nats12

nats12 First Runs

I have been going to Hotham for over ten years,buying season passes & staying at lodge accomodation.
    i think its great what they are proposing to build, but i do think they need to spend money on upgrading the lifts and snow making if they want people to continue to pay to high prices to ski. Its disappointing that there isnt any major new development for the lifts at hotham.

Im sure a lot of people on this forum have been overseas to all kinds of resorts, i have travelled overseas to resorts which are very modern, and then i see how hotham neeeds a make over.
    Whats wrong with change, i think its all for the better.

36. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

It may have something to do with the surveys they have been carrying out the last couple of years regarding resort entry.

#36 Cuppa, Mar 9, 2007
  37. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

So ?

#37 the_guru, Mar 9, 2007
  38. guymcfly

guymcfly First Runs

posted 08-03-2007 06:42 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So should Hotham start to build some old accommodation then?

I don't think it is a case of anything other than the product being delivered for the price is now way to high.

I have no problem paying for snowboarding...and I regularly travel to destinations that, when air fares are added cost,do cost more than the Aus reorts...BUT, the quality of product is WAY better; length of runs, number of lifts, quality of snow, etc...its the death of many an australian business or product...and it doesn't always come down to price...otherwise there would be no BMW or Mercs (to name just 2 examples)and lots more Hyundai's and daewoo's.

39. piranha

piranha Hard Yards

All I am suggesting is that Hotham's pricing structure for resort entry is weighted against season pass holders, rather than the day trippers. Especially when compared to their neighbours.

I don’t think new architecture is in any way bad, it was merely a facetious remark, yet I love some of the old club lodges and hope they stay- they give the place character and allow many people to experience the snow on a budget, and the new places allow people to have a luxurious break from the real world at a premium.

I just think it doesn’t seem to be a great move to burden your bread and butter customers, without offering them any new developments. Personally, I would like to think my season pass and resort entry are contributing to a ski resort, not a real estate resort.

40. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

Resort entry goes to the RMB, so it covers services such as snow clearing, parking, garbage, free buses etc.

Season pass goes to the lift company.

#40 Cuppa, Mar 12, 2007
  41. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

True, but will be Ubbbberrrr apartments

#41 skiflat, Mar 12, 2007
  42. the_guru

the_guru One of Us

Good call. If you can't beat them join them.
    If you don't like it go somewhere else.
    :thumbs:

43. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

get off your perch snojones...those lodgers have paid their dues n don't appreciate over development and knocking out the oldest lift in Australia either.
    A little balance goes a long way and if the developers got their heads outta the sand, there is plenty to make money on given the right direction, not just the quick buck.
    Phleaaaaaaaaase.

44. Bogong

I disagree with snojones but I admire his/her guts for standing up and airing their opinion. I'm also pleasantly surprised that no-one has jumped up and shouted "Heretic". We must be a tolerant bunch [​IMG]

#44 Bogong, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  45. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

bogong, snojones claims to be a first time member, so only gets underarm deliveries. more likely a compleat angler, but no point pursuing that.

46. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

[​IMG] @ currawong, your name aptly describes your swoop...

#46 Fangin'Wolvy, Mar 12, 2007
  47. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

If you are refering to the double chair, that was made redundant years ago.

In my opinion it should still go to the valley floor and lower playground needs a good summer groom.

#47 Cuppa, Mar 13, 2007
  48. willscarlet

willscarlet First Runs

The resort was doing fine before it was marketed towards, and increasingly designed for, high wealth individuals. The central issue is rich folks crowding out others, and turning a public asset into a increasingly private one, high prices excluding those who can't afford it.

By your argument, those who don't stay at expensive lodge on the Overland Track in Tasmania are parasites, as those who bring their own food and pitch tents fail to "make the track a viable business for YOU to enjoy for years to come". As if without the prescence of luxury accommodation, without restaurants serving shiitake mushroom quail stuffed with truffles the resort would die and its infrastructure would fall apart. :rolleyes:

Investment by lift operators who seek to profit from higher lift ticket revenue?

Ah, yes, the mentality of the grateful serf.

#48 willscarlet, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  49. Hunter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Spot on :thumbs:

#49 Hunter, Mar 13, 2007
  50. snojones

snojones First Runs

It is blatently obvious that this forum is packed with poorly educated folk who have very little economic sense.

The rich elite are apart of life. they Always will be. Saying that they are going to crowd you out is a joke because by your imagination they are all enjoying fine food and not skiing, so infact you get better facilities and more room on the runs.

Skiiing is an elitist sport, especialy in australia. Thats the way it is. If you cant afford to do it their way then find a way to do it without paying...thats what you all want isnt it?!

What has changed for you since development? nicer accom? more toilets and food outlets? better access to big D and safer access to hotham central?

What have you lost?!

Dont tell me increase in prices...inflation will take prices up anyway. I dont complain that a can of coke cost $2 when it was $0.90 10 years ago! As fuel prices rise so does the cost of road clearing.

I have lived in Sydney,...do I complain cos I cant afoord to live in point piper but I want to see the harbour? NO! cos I understand that such priveleges come at a premium...that premium is $money$.

Keep your attitude everyone cos eventually you will be feeding off the scraps!