1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hotham Closing for 6 weeks

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by saveme, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Boodwah

Boodwah A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I'm still setting September goals...
    Not over until they turn my ventilator off as far as I'm concerned.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

State parks are still open to locals. e.g. Mt. Wills, Bentley Plains, Mt. Skene, Mt. Porpunkah , Mt. Pinnibar etc. .

3. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Tim (VIC MP for Ovens)

Thanks again for your time and energy on the phone

I appreciate the seriousness of, and take into consideration the COVID-19 pandemic situation - including the difficulty in managing the state in order to suppress the virus. However, in exceptional or unique circumstances, the restricted activities directives must be adapted - this is an example of that

Dinner Plain (DP) is effectively part of Hotham Alpine Resort (Hotham) - they cant survive without each other. They may be seperated by 6km as the crow flies, but they are one - particularly economically

It is an outrageous, unnecessary, over the top and a violation of our freedoms as Australians, that DP residents cannot use Hotham for exercise during this current restricted activity period

We can access Hotham with only an 8km drive to Wire Plain. Park the car, and ski tour. Easily being able to maintain 'unlimited' distance from any other persons at Hotham, and wearing a mask

XC skiing is allowed under the restricted activities - why can't DP residents ski to and from the two areas?

Regional residents can also still go for 'just a drive', or to the supermarket (more driving), and the other permitted reasons - including exercise - shopping for essentials is more risky behaviour than skiing in a forest

The drive between DP and Hotham poses no risk of remote breakdowns. Any traffic on the road should only be permitted through traffic and DP / Hotham residents - no increased need for valuable policing resources; plus Hotham entry cameras can be used for analysis of road users, to identify any non-residents

Skiing in the Hotham Alpine Resort Area poses no risk for 'backcountry rescue' - which would be another use of Victoria Police resources - there is a skeleton crew of Ski Patrol still operating

Some of the above considerations also apply to the Alpine National Park (ANP) closure. DP is almost entirely surrounded by the ANP - these restrictions effectively imprison DP residents to the village area - a tiny space. This imposes restrictions on me that are more harsh than the 5km rule in Melbourne! The rule allowing regional residents to access parks and forests nearby to their residence should overrule the ANP closure for DP / Hotham and other regional residents living within or near the ANP

There is currently ZERO active cases of COVID-19 in the Alpine Shire. ZERO. Yet residents are being punished like this. This is not acceptable and your assistance as a representative of the people has been impressive to say the least

I can understand how busy you must be - this is a tough time for everyone. I would greatly appreciate anything you can do to assist here - the ski season only has a few weeks remaining

I look forward to hearing from you

mr, cookieman and CarveMan like this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Perfect. You’re getting screwed.

Hully, cornice11 and hongomania like this.
  5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Your problem is that both East Gippsland and Ovens Valley electorates are held by the National Party. In 'these difficult times' decisions are being made quickly and on the run. As such the usual polite consultation with Liberal, Green and National MPs probably isn't happening to the extent that it usually does. So it might be better to send that letter to your upper house Labour Party MP for "Eastern Victoria".

hongomania likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I feel for your situation but the said Member for Ovens is sitting on the opposition benches in the state parliament. Under the present state of disaster there is little anyone can do to hold the Govt. to account. It is like martial law without the firing squads. Just put epaulets on a leather trench coat and aviator shades on the Premier and it would all fit right in .
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    p.s.
    The word separated is spelt thus
    and subject object verb agreement means there is one case and there ARE two or more cases.
    Sorry , I used to work as an English teacher :-0
    I hope you at least get a reply from the local member for Ovens.

#106 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    hongomania likes this.
  7. Fancy_Pants

Fancy_Pants Addicted

That decision to stop DP residents accessing Hotham is so harsh. And I felt hard done by being a Harrietville local.

I guess all we can do is hope that something changes sooner than 6 weeks, or sit and wait for some spring touring

8. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Controversial but just do it anyway. All of us in home detention need someone to live vicariously through.

Gestapo gonna chase you on skidoos? Wouldn't think so - there ain't any based on the mountain.

9. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

there could be a ski chase, like 'the heroes of telemark' :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  10. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

i reckon there's a 'downfall' meme to be made here, a hotham, heroes of telemark overdub

11. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

12. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hermannator, Bogong and hongomania like this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You need an Ozzie James Bond to mentor you for ski chases :p. Some people ski better on just one ski when being shot at.

Hermannator likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The ski patrol would ban those dudes using hand grenades. They are ruining the ski surface for others !
    4.19 Now that is a hockey stop!

15. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Reports in the Buller thread of someone being apprehended by the boys in blue on Bourke st. So look out wannabe 007s.

16. chriscross

Reports in the Buller thread of someone being apprehended by the boys in blue on Bourke st. So look out wannabe 007s.

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

This time the fun police will take no prisoners :-(

18. Hermannator

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not many ski rental shops have a parachute available, do they ?

20. chriscross

You might be surprised. Weerab and I met a Russian guy between Ruined Castle and McKay looking for the right place to take off on skis with a parachute. He said how much he enjoyed para-skiing in Tasmania because he could see kangaroos and wallabies through the trees. True. Sorry, this is a Hotham thread.

21. Hermannator

I have seen para-skiers around the summit area of Hotham in the past