1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hotham / dp bbq thread

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by hongomania, Apr 18, 2018.

1. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Nope. 2006 was probably as bad, i only got to falls creek a couple of times then as I was in yr 12. 1982 as bad? Not a good trend

2. hongomania

Gave the waybacks a test run at GS style skiing this afternoon, its astonishing how well they perform for their weight #gripandrip

Nice to feel my face finally get frozen by some proper winter coldies. Very pretty looking south over the ranges with snow showers rolling through

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Nice one. We inmates here in Stalag 13 are vicariously living the dream through your outdoor Alpine activities and skiing.

hongomania likes this.
  4. hongomania

I should also mention the TLT8s - custom fitted - theyre a big step on from the 7s, the performance vs weight is staggering. That being said the 7s are still better for looooong days

5. hongomania

Surprised more people dont camp at victoria river camping area and drive to Hotham to ski daily. Such a great spot

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

That was my plan B last year if could not get a parking spot ( for snow camping) at JB Plain car park. The overnight temperatures at Victoria River camping area can be quite cold in winter. Cold air sinks.

snowgum likes this.
  7. hongomania

8. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Who leaves their keys in the car!?!

9. snowgum

snowgum A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Quite a risk taker! Hope he doesn’t take up rock climbing or parachuting? ;)

10. Luken

Luken One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like they have run a groomer around at Hotham going by the cams.. Why if it's not going to open? Just being nice, or actually service a purpose other than for the benefit of the few keen hikers?

11. cookieman

cookieman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Probably skidoo access for safety.
    The mountain looks fantastic from the pics.

12. hongomania

Skipo emergency access, they're still running a skeleton crew

Luken likes this.
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Bon Accord spur is closed since the Alpine N.P. is closed due to the plague.So hiking up to Hotham with skis/skins etc. on the pack is a no go. Even if you came in via the state park fire trails that connect Harrietville with Buckland Gap helipad ( West Ovens track , Gunn's track etc. ) , the Hotham resort itself is closed to visitors.

14. hongomania

15. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Go PV. Hope they get their sights on some brumbies as well. Just this morning reading about deer damage to high country environment in Sharwood's AAWT book.

Edgecrusher, nezumi and Cam Slee like this.
  16. hongomania

I went for a bush bash around taylors crossing the other day. Spooked 5 deer, could have had a couple of easy shots if i had a gun. Damage from wallows below. Bit off topic but its the same around here (DP) and everywhere in the HC, its terrible. alot of park users wouldnt see this damage as they don't get off the main trails and enjoy commando crawling up a 200m vert slope through scrub

IMG-20200919-WA0004.jpg

MarkV likes this.
  17. Cam Slee

Cam Slee One of Us

That looks like a Sambar deer wallow. They regularly build them and enjoy rolling around in the mud.
    They're everywhere around Mt Beauty and is a sure sign of them. They will return to the same wallow.
    Get yourself a shooting license, easy to get.
    I've got one, all you need is a minimum .270 to shoot Sambar deer. I use a .30-06.
    You can shoot them virtually anywhere around Mt Beauty.
    Tasty to eat.

MarkV likes this.
  18. hongomania

Heard of an avalanche in avi gully today. Someone buried to their waist. No injuries and able to walk out :)

Not surprising, that much snow; on steep terrain, on ground which doesn't know what's happening at the moment - warmed for weeks then a rapid freeze

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The best skiing was slalom and sun run anyway, anywhere else was rock hopper, full send and pray you don't crash

MarkV and Gregah like this.
  19. Boodwah

Boodwah A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Was just thinking last night that Avi gully would be v dangerous today, and that I bet someone does it anyway. When not even any ski patrol there to save yr arse.

20. Skiddy85

Skiddy85 Addicted

Interesting how stories grow. I spoke to someone in the group of the guy that got buried, who said it was from sending a cornice, which collapsed and trigger the avalanche, and buried to head.

Passed a patroller coming up from measuring the 42cm at the snow stake, whose parting words were be careful, it going to be unstable.

currawong and Gregah like this.
  21. hongomania

Had to drive to bright to fix a tyre

Road conditions hazardous - very wet and visibility is almost zero

Yet 2 people (one dressed in full black) decided today was a good idea to ride pushbikes up Hotham? I know we all do dumb things, glass houses and all that but WTF?!

currawong likes this.
  22. hongomania

Carmichael in full flow. cruisy bush bash for a couple of hours around precipice creek. been eyeing off the prominent burnt ridgeline west of WSW of dp. Should have built DP there, views all the way to the last remnants of snow on howitt

20201004_145617.jpg 20201004_145530.jpg 20201004_150059.jpg 20201004_145644.jpg 20201004_141402.jpg 20201004_141614.jpg

23. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Worst conditions i ever drove over hotham was one april, returning from the coast. Snowing by loch carpark, crawling along with driver watching centre line and passenger watching side line. And suddenly there were cyclists in black with no lights

hongomania likes this.
  24. hongomania

Talk about a home among the gum trees

MarkV likes this.
  25. hongomania

Multi level at loch or the village? Sounds like an eyesore. Maybe start with bringing back the lost corral park car spaces

Also see that the Vic government has put $15 million towards FHAC as part of the bushfire relief package - what exactly will it be spent on? As i have said before, stop listening to the Melbourne urban planning marketing "gurus" and spend the money better - i could lead alot of hikes with people for $15 million - my energy and passion would be infectious - more value add than some "eco huts"

26. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve seen the plans during a virtual meeting, it is quite stylish a will include a visitor centre. Not an eyesore at all. I’ll try and find the artist’s impression, it’s not easy to locate online.

currawong and hongomania like this.
  27. Boodwah

Loch carpark is already an eyesore, and in winter its an ice rink - so many accidents. I once watched helplessly as one of the resort 4X4s slid all the way down from the road and into my car. Peak season weekends there's never enough carparks either, hope they're not planning on making folk pay for parking on top of resort entry!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I can offer my services for assistant trek leader with @hongomania . I love that area and know it quite well. I visit it all year round.
    One thing that strikes me as being iffy in the conservation versus development juggling act in the Vic. Alps is that the ski resorts in Vic. exist on land excised from the surrounding National parks and are administrated by their own boards of management with their own agendas i.e. $$$$ Ka ching !.
    This is different to NSW where NPWS are the final arbiters of what happens at the NSW ski resorts because they are situated within the K.N.P. .

hongomania likes this.
  29. Boodwah

Just flicking through the masterplan, doesn't look like any new terrain, just an access lift up the other side of Higgi.
    Masterplan is actually just a very extensive nothingburger, imagine it cost a lot though.
    Lots of waffle about "increasing visitation" - well put in some more lifts you wallys!

FatBoyDave, skiflat, cqen2l and 2 others like this.
  30. cqen2l

I still cannot find an artist's impression however this excerpt came from the Mount Hotham Development Growth Program.

Loch Car Park: The Loch Car Park will be levelled, and a multi-deck car-parking structure will be constructed that will provide additional cover from wind, snow and ice at the Loch Car Park. This will greatly improve the safety of the area, reducing slips, falls and risky vehicular-pedestrian interactions in an area frequently subject to low visibility. The project will result in buses regularly running to the Loch, reducing vehicular congestion at the Corral Car Park. This will require a minor road realignment, which will improve snow-clearing conditions for the Loch Corner.

currawong, skiflat and hongomania like this.
  31. hongomania

Mentions potentially expanding H-gully and P-gully, and somewhere else mentions about womens downhill being south facing intermediate terrain and a possible lifted area. Oh and possible realignment and quad chair on drift

Forget all that and improve lower playground grooming, snowmaking, snow farming and summer grooming first

FatBoyDave, skiflat and MarkV like this.
  32. PG2736

PG2736 Addicted

Whatever happened to the plan to redevelop the coral car park area? Last I heard was Belgrave Group had been awarded the tender to do the development but has been silent ever since.

33. MarkV

MarkV One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Lower playground is seriously underutilised.

cqen2l, skiflat and hongomania like this.
  34. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Wouldn't a multi level car park be an incongruous eyesore at such an exposed and prominent elevation such as at the Mt. Loch car park?

hongomania likes this.
  35. cqen2l

No, it’s cut into the slope. Architect designed, not your shopping mall variety. It’s quite classy. I’ll try and get an image on Monday.

skiflat and hongomania like this.
  36. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

how on earth are they going to get beginners and day trippers from Loch car park to the Village ?

37. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

not sure at hotham but i know that one of the objectives of the Falls masterplan is to have a swag of shovel ready (or nearly) projects that are waiting for the right grant or other funding opportunity to come along. not expectedthatall of them actually happen