Hotham / dp bbq thread

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
True, re this year, however that looks to have the capacity for less than 100 cars. Not details provided in the vid as usual.

Notes say multi deck carpark so that should be 2 or 3 levels

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Notes say multi deck carpark so that should be 2 or 3 levels
Yep, I'm just thinking of the space - it's not very wide or long. But yeah, def more than a 100. Would be good to the flythough detail the visitor facilities e.g showers & rest room etc. Lost opportunity for a sun deck and beer cafe on top.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Guess the next opportunity for a coffee shop, deck or restaurant will be when the HV lift gets replaced. So maybe in another 10 to 15 years....

Reactions: Tanuki

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
I thought I heard or read somewhere, that there would be an updated shelter / toilets / food outlet thingy associated with the new carpark (or maybe to replace the old one near the ski patrol hut. I could be completely making that up though.....

Reactions: snowgum and Tanuki

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I thought I heard or read somewhere, that there would be an updated shelter / toilets / food outlet thingy associated with the new carpark (or maybe to replace the old one near the ski patrol hut. I could be completely making that up though.....
Yeah I think they're replacing the ski patrol hut eventually,and that's where the restaurant n stuff might go.

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
Correct, they're calling it a 'visitor centre'.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
As for parking, I feel Hotham is going to be very busy this year. Try booking a lodge for anytime in July and August. By far the busiest I have seen for many years...

Yuk, more snowboarders "slashing pow" (more like stop turning digging holes and ruining the place)

Reactions: skiflat

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Guess the next opportunity for a coffee shop, deck or restaurant will be when the HV lift gets replaced. So maybe in another 10 to 15 years....

Thats a long time to suffer HV diesel fumes.
And slow running when the littlies & nubes try to board?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Will be great conversation at lunch over the roar of the mighty diesel!

FWIW: the ‘ski patrol hut’ top HV was originally a refuge when first built.

It was a very handy summer stopover for car GAR trips in the early years (90s).

It appears Hotham management gave little care about its original intention when they took it over.

I don’t begrudge SP a decent shelter, but it beggars believe that the resort couldn’t build a separate building or attached annexe? Etc...

There’s not exactly a lot of places to escape the wind at the top of HV - I guess in the last five years there’s been the entrance to the loos? :confused:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Get a load of the cars parked across lines and across carparks. Artistic render even takes into account ******* international tourists :p

This was the exact thought I had watching the vid! I even opened the thread back up to comment on it, only to see that I'd been beaten to the punch :p

Reactions: Any

stansi

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2007
Shepparton Vic.
A bit of a rumour that the Dinner Plains Hotel has changed hands and won’t be operating this winter. Can Anyone shed some light on this. I believe High Planes Lodge may also have changed hands.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
A bit of a rumour that the Dinner Plains Hotel has changed hands and won’t be operating this winter. Can Anyone shed some light on this. I believe High Planes Lodge may also have changed hands.

Yes it was sold
Website not working and FB not updated..

Doesn't bode well for the season ahead given its only a few weeks away

Reactions: snowgum and Chaeron

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Pub was bought by the Simmonds/ Simmons (?) building company from Bendigo. Volume builders. They intend to build 'high end' apartments. Last I heard they were going to build inside the existing shell of the building, but quite likely they intend to knock it down.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
DP property prices gone bananas too, they will likely build on the cheap, market them well and make a killing. It’ll be the Arlberg of DP

I've watched them skyrocket recently. It's insane seeing what some of them are going for when you consider what the actual offer is.

Reactions: Chaeron

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
I've watched them skyrocket recently. It's insane seeing what some of them are going for when you consider what the actual offer is.

But yes, including but not limited to - old buildings requiring $50+-k, only 35-50 amps of power (DP ran off generators when founded)

Reactions: nezumi

_Yossarian_

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2019
I hate the modern world sometimes. Too many people and rules
ing.net%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2015%2f02%2fcover.jpg

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Why is the resort area Buckland gap - mother Johnsons?

Why not say Diamantina - wire plain

Ridiculous that to access all the roadside backcountry I have to both have a car pass (for a road I already pay 3 registration fees for, isn't snow clearing done by vicroads?) AND this season have a covid test

(I'd be happy to pay an additional tax, but $550 to park on a public access road seems excessive)

I hate the modern world sometimes. Too many people and rules
I suspect on the Harrietville side that Buckland Gap just made for a far more hospitable location to put the entry gate when it used to require someone to be there to sell you an entry pass.

something as simple as that.

Reactions: mr and hongomania

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I suspect on the Harrietville side that Buckland Gap just made for a far more hospitable location to put the entry gate when it used to require someone to be there to sell you an entry pass.

something as simple as that.
And the location of wang club would have been a factor. The boundary would have been drawn to include it

Reactions: mr and hongomania

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley

Extract from The Border Mail - JULY 19 2021 - 4:00AM​

"Mount Hotham police warn drivers after two cars without snow chains"​

IMG_1912.jpeg
It's a nothing story..... two cars most likely slid into a bank and needed assistance getting back on the road, at the same time during the same weather event hundreds of cars over the state will have slid off wet roads with far greater consequence and no headlines.
The whole issue of our alpine roads and chains is a beat up, a storm in a tea cup. Those with commercial interest who keep promoting this 'issue' need to publish the data relating to serious injury and fatality stats from our alpine roads during the winter months. In my observation as a local, the risk is far greater during the green season.

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
The only place you may have needed chains this afternoon (to get out of the carpark). Wouldn't be good risking it for 2wds and ending up stuck halfway...or in the Armco. There are alot of new snow visitors at DP

Everywhere else was cleared

Not a problem for me with my rebuilt rear end with aftermarket LSD :D

Perhaps the alpine shire should invest in heated pavement

IMG-20210803-WA0009.jpeg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The only place you may have needed chains this afternoon (to get out of the carpark). Wouldn't be good risking it for 2wds and ending up stuck halfway...or in the Armco. There are alot of new snow visitors at DP

Everywhere else was cleared

Not a problem for me with my rebuilt rear end with aftermarket LSD :D

Perhaps the alpine shire should invest in heated pavement

IMG-20210803-WA0009.jpeg
The Tee Mobile has a Limited slip dif. :cool: . My LSD days are confined to these motoring moments these days.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass