1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Hotham / DP brickbats and bouquets

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Ziggy, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MHzMe

MHzMe Addicted

Lift queue arrangement at Village is all wrong, which stuffs up loading 4 on the chair consistently. The ticket gate is too far from the load point and the singles line finishes too far back so they can’t be pushed in to make up the fours.

FatBoyDave and Tanuki like this.
  2. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

Hey atleast they fixed the queue for hv there is a chance they can sort village.

The chick saying “get into fours” on Saturday was a joke.

3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

4. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

currawong likes this.
  5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

if it's like falls, most businesses will have pulled the pin already

hothamite, skiflat and cookieman like this.
  6. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We love late season spring skiing! Sunny days school hols. We go off and do the sidecountry south faces with more daylight, more warmth and consistrnt snow pack.

cookieman likes this.
  7. mr

Heading up tomorrow night with 4 kids for the weekend 2 of mine + 2 friends. I might actually be lonely guy on the hill so if anyone is looking for someone to ski with or have a beer let me know

8. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

Agree and prob minimal lifts

skiflat likes this.
  9. currawong

falls would probably close the pomas, but keep the rest going if there is enough snow

skiflat and Chaeron like this.
  10. MHzMe

MHzMe Addicted

I agree that it will be a ghost town - because the resort does not promote this time of year as being "part" of the ski season, even though snow seems to becoming more reliable in early October than in early to mid June.

I am coming to the view that the ski season has slipped slightly - about 2 to 3 weeks - later into the year. The high pressure systems are staying low for longer early in winter, so that we don't get good early snowfalls, but we seem to accumulate enough that skiable snow remains through the September school holidays into early October. This needs to be promoted - that September school holidays are prime time for family skiing with young kids. The weather is warmer (so the little ones don't get cold and miserable so quickly), the visibility is good, and there is plenty of coverage. It helps change a mindset so that all aspects of resort operations are prepared to work through this time of year - snowmaking banks snow to fill in thin patches, the food venues actually keep a decent menu operating, the ski school offers more than only half day lessons, and in general, they don't treat the September school holidays as a last gasp. It creates a miserable situation where when out and about on the mountain, it feels like they have already "put the chairs up on the tables and put the house lights on", and they staff just want you to get out quick.

Chaeron, hothamite, nezumi and 2 others like this.
  11. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Totally agree with all this, why they don’t promote and push through to second lot of school hols is a great mystery.

12. Hermannator

Lets see when they wind up the snowmaking operations. This has historically been early-mid Sept

Chaeron likes this.
  13. mr

they have extended the season and kept orchard open last 2-3 years in sept-oct hols, which is good to access those south sides off-pistes that keep the cover longer

14. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Because most people are thinking about Noosa or Port Douglas by then.

Plus, it would actually require some marketing nous and initiative.

15. Slush

Slush Hard Yards

And this is perhaps where we should be giving MHRMB some feedback. I don't believe Hotham in July / August is a suitable destination for unexperienced folks to come for 'snow play' - and it would be better for all concerned if RMB stopped marketing it as such. Our lodge has had to deal with some groups who have turned up without any cold weather clothing, nor food etc on some quite crappy days. Even with our lodge manager doing their best to help out, they have had a miserable experience plus generally got in every one elses way. ("No, your baby can't go outside wearing just a nappy in a blizzard" "No, you can't walk to the Genny in thongs".

How about this for a campaign;
    "Hotham, the place to go once you have mastered the flat resorts"

I've driven Hotham ~ 10 times a year for 15+ years in all conditions. There is no way known that I would get in a car I don't know with a driver I don't know to go up that road. As a family we keep a well maintained 4wd with good AT tyres so we can do that drive safely. And even then we go via Omeo at least once a season (normally to avoid road closures, but occasionally by choice if we think it is going to be bad and we will be there late)

Slush

Chaeron, hothamite and The Plowking like this.
  16. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Slush its a bit rich to blame the RMB for everything. (a) the Lift Co do pretty much all the marketing, and (b) your Lodge booking agent/manager didnt have to take the booking, or they could have sent some FAQ's

17. Slush

Slush Hard Yards

Hey - I'm one of those sad sacks explaining to punters on the hill that "you don't just pay for parking, the money goes to managing the resort - like sewarge, Ski patrol etc" - so I'm far from a RMB basher.

However, If I look at the Hotham website (which I'm pretty sure is owned by RMB) I see front and centre;
    " Hitting the slopes has never been easier, so whether you're travelling by car, coach or by airplane, you'll find there's plenty of options to get to Mt Hotham. "

So RMB does need to be part of the solution I think.

Our booking process does include a lot of info - but I suppose it does also assume that people coming to stay in the snow realise it might get cold and wet. I'd prefer we don't need to interview every new guest at the lodge at time of booking... bit hard to implement at a club lodge.
    We make assumptions that people have a clue - much in the same way that the RMB doesn't say on the website "The road can be dammed treachourous, and dozens of vehicles crash on it each year".

Snow is cold and wet, people die of hypothermia. Skiing is dangerous, folks leave in the ambulance everyday. The road up can be tricky, cars crash.
    All these things are true - but we assume that people wear warm clothes and take lessons and progress slowly. Similarly can't we suggest that they learn to drive in snow conditions before charging up the hill during a blizzard?

Slush

hothamite, Chaeron and FlatLander like this.
  18. Pink

Pink One of Us

I don’t think walking to the Genny in thongs is going to hurt anyone. Passing out on the way home from the Genny, now that’s different matter.

And on the subject of thongs, I don’t know about the Genny, but I do recall nights at the DP Hotel when there was a bloke or two wearing nothing but a thong.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  19. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Yes agree, although I think everyone is part of the solution, and yes RMB run that website. And the RMB is tasked with marketing, although Lift co do lions share. Yes, exactly as you say, we all assume that all visitors coming to the snow should expect it to be cold, wet and snowy!

Although if the RMB changed the marketing push to "Hitting the slopes has never been easier, so whether you're travelling by car, coach or by airplane, you'll find there's plenty of options to get to Mt Hotham - but please remember you might die" :DI think the all marketing depts might have something to say about that.

I remember quite a few years ago that a young couple were coming up Friday night of Opening weekend, there was a bit of snow around and the road was a bit icy - anyway they skidded off the road around Dannys Lookout and complained bitterly that people should be warned about the conditions and hazards - when informed that they had just driven past approx 30 signs saying exactly that and were told at the Buckland ticket box to be careful as there were ice patches - complaints and threats were retracted LOL

Its well know that visitors/tourists dont read signs and dont follow instructions. Funny thing about common sense is that its not that common.

hothamite, currawong and nezumi like this.
  20. mr

most / many issues are upwards-issues friday nights, imo, so they should encourage peeps to come up during the day, take yer time, have lunch in milewa etc. when my kids were small we always went up in daylight

Chaeron likes this.
  21. currawong

some of this is a reaction to authorities crying wolf (generaliing here, not just about hotham). distinguishing real danger from arse covering nonsense is not always easy

Chaeron, FlatLander and The Plowking like this.
  22. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

'arse covering nonsense'
    Very well put.

FlatLander and currawong like this.
  23. Hermannator

This post reminds me of a brickbat: I've heard that Ambulance Vic can't land the ambulance chopper on the helipad (on top of Playground top station) because lifting a stretcher up the stairs is not allowed. So critical patients need to be ferried 4km down the road to wire plain before being picked up by the chopper.
    Serious brickbat if true.

Chaeron likes this.
  24. currawong

the medical centre at falls has a lift that takes stretchers from the skidoo or akja. It is horizontal, but surely there would be a version that could take a stretcher to a higher level.

IIRC they still put patients in an ambulance to go 100m (or less) to the chopper

25. Minion

Minion Hard Yards

Actually more to do with the size of the aircraft the helipad can accommodate.

26. hothamite

hothamite Hard Yards Ski Pass: 30 Day

Agree completely. If you look at the snow charts for the last few years there is consistently far more snow at the end of the season.
    IMHO they should move the season along a few weeks- say open in July and close early Oct.

Chaeron likes this.
  27. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

“The season” shouldn’t matter! If there is snow run the resort and advertise as such. Like all industries these days nimble is better, not sure why we need ‘fixed dates’ on the season, but am sure there are good reasons to it around staffing etc.

hothamite and Chaeron like this.
  28. Yakster

Yakster Hard Yards

True..
    Drove up on Friday the 6th late at night due to circumstances.
    Stopped/checked at Harriettville what the conditions ahead were...
    REALLY hard to miss the Hoys van lit up at Corbetts (?) so chains got fitted.. (2WD)
    Drove past more signs & 4WD's on side of road fitting chains..
    Five 5K's later pull up behind a 2WD with flashing hazards in the MIDDLE of the road and a woman holding chains asking how to fit them. Got a rude "NO!!" when told to turn around & go back to Hoys van.

The ABS got a great workout down Dungeys Hollow and needed GPS nav to keep track of the bends in the road, between the springs & the tunnel in the near blizzard conditions.. So not questioning the need to fit chains that night..

Yak.
    (Back to lurking mode!)

29. Yakster

Yakster Hard Yards

Brickbat
    I have given up hope about the Big D bus stop going, but why are the ski racks "still" missing from the buses?
    I always thought it was optional to use these..

Safety:
    Exactly what danger are we being "protected" from?
    People seeing how close they can get to the side of the moving bus?
    Fun to watch people trying to hold skis/poles/bus all at the same time with two hands..

Loss of skis
    Have any skis fallen out?
    Surely you should know if the ski's are secure or not. IE don't put kids ski's in there
    As for "wrong ski's taken" same principles apply when leaving outside..
    Labels with phone numbers etc..

Loading/Unload speed
    WOW! Talk about slow getting on and off with ski's..
    I thought it was back with only boards and people trying to walk in ski boots..

As someone who is taller & bigger, my ski's are long..
    I can't hold them vertical in the back of the buses as they hit the roof.. Therefore I CAN'T move back if bus is full
    And when the bus was full there was the new game of not hitting people as you try to move through the bus.
    Because it is much harder to move through the buses with ski's people don't move around as people get on/off
    This lead to a (not full bus) leaving people behind at central because "there were people at blue ribbon"

Oh and the crappy synth announcements.
    PLEASE pay some $100 to rerecord those..

Yak
    (Back to lurking again!)

hothamite, Skiain, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  30. mr

Apparently the ski racks were at the behest of wide load rules of VicRoads......

Genius

hothamite, Chaeron and skiflat like this.
  31. mr

So i was at coronet peak a month ago and they have ski racks on the back of the shuttle bus. I commented 'these are cool' and the guy said 'yeah bro, well we used to carry skis etc inside the bus but we were worried if we had a crash there would be missiles and projectiles flying everywhere'

So wide load rules by vicroads win over safety fumded by TAC it seems. Double genius.

32. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Surprised given how far out the announcement to extend the season by a week was that so much has closed on the original closing date and not realigned finishing dates. E.g. I heard that the medical has closed for the season.

33. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Disgusting

34. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just because the resort is open doesn’t mean it is worth keeping your business open. It’s not a charity.

Surprised the medical centre would be shut though. You’d think the lease agreement would include something about being open while the winter season is going.

35. mr

there were ambos on site, looking for work, last few days i was there last week (tues-fri). maybe that suffices in terms of WHS etc on operations. i guess it must if medical centre shut.

skiflat likes this.
  36. Echo Base

Echo Base Hard Yards

I'm a couple of weeks late in noticing this, but a bouquet to Hotham for upgrading the Snake gully hut camera to live video streaming!

it swaps between Slalom Gully to Snake Gully each minute

37. currawong

last year at Falls there was an extension with no consultation with the medical centre. They chose not to stay open. It is unfortunate but completely understandable. They take on extra doctors for the winter so they can keep the Mt Beauty practice running too. Some of the doctors also take holidays after a busy snow season. It is logistically difficult to cover an extended season, and very bad business-wise.

38. mr

not much going on today!

39. mr

hang on - 3 peeps in slalom!

40. mr

i say change the school term back to 3!! we get a fair bit of our years skiing done mid late sept

djam likes this.
  41. currawong

I don't understand

when there were 3 terms, the holidays were in August. why waste peak conditions on school holidays? business wise it would be disastrous. August is already pretty easy to sell. The only other really busy time is school holidays. Putting them together would lose a huge part of accommodation income, with flow-ons to other businesses

42. mr

i wasnt talking about business, or operations, purely selfish interests - i was talking about going to the snow with the kids in peak season, without taking them out of school. instead, we get late season slops (which i like, but really, hotham without gotcha / orchard open is not the same, and thats pretty normal for mid sept on).

43. mr

that is a matter of perspective! :)

44. currawong

be careful what you wish for. queues would be a nightmare, accom costs would skyrocket, death gully would be closed while they cleared the bodies

45. mr

which would keep everyone but the diehards away! :)

46. mr

when the kids were small, taking them out of school was easy - we loved those quiet weeks mid august...but now with teens, different story. again, purely selfish interests that change. later when im older ill grump about any school hols