Hotham/Falls lift staff sent home...will they reopen?

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Anyone know if Hotham/Falls are any chance to reopen this year now? I hear they've sent all their lifties home which apparently they haven't done before...

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
2021 inbounds is done for Hotham/Falls.

Kudos to all those who managed to eke out a ski.

I feel for the on-mountain and regional businesses and communities who have had it tough for 2 seasons.

Many businesses will have been pushed to the wall, and many ski industry employees severely impacted.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Truly sad especially with good conditions this year to have to go through this again for everyone, could have had another few good weeks out of this season up there.

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I’m very disappointed very all connected with the industry but especially on the mountains.

Logic tells me my best chance for just a ski this season is a late BC foray somewhere but I hold on to some vague hope either Vail or Buller will open a lift or two if LD ends in time (oink flap!)

Given this, it’s a no brainer now to try for a refund upon zero use of 3 Epic passes. I don’t expect Vail to make this easy. If they play hard ball with a refund, I guess a reissue into 2022 would be a reasonable outcome for us.

Just wonder if anyone has any views or recent learnings re this scenario. Cheers. :thumbs:

(ps: I can supply evidence of 2 weeks of club lodge accommodation being cancelled due to LD 5 & 6).

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
In my experience from 2020 the Epic Pass with Epic Coverage refunds aren't that hard to get so long as you fit within the rules etc. Eg. I had chosen a single week, being this week, as my only epic coverage option...so no brainer for my cover as we are locked down right now. If you had chosen core season I'm not sure how they'll swing that but that might get a little trickier depending if you've used it at all yet or not. As long as you filled out the right stuff at the start of the season you shouldn't have a problem, and if they are zero use passes you are in for a better chance too. If there's a bit of grey area though they might choose to lean on their T&C's but in my experience they've been slow to deal with everyone because of how many people there are doing the same thing, but were reasonable when they did get round to dealing with me last time.

Reactions: Fandango
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I’m very disappointed very all connected with the industry but especially on the mountains.

Logic tells me my best chance for just a ski this season is a late BC foray somewhere but I hold on to some vague hope either Vail or Buller will open a lift or two if LD ends in time (oink flap!)

Given this, it’s a no brainer now to try for a refund upon zero use of 3 Epic passes. I don’t expect Vail to make this easy. If they play hard ball with a refund, I guess a reissue into 2022 would be a reasonable outcome for us.

Just wonder if anyone has any views or recent learnings re this scenario. Cheers. :thumbs:

(ps: I can supply evidence of 2 weeks of club lodge accommodation being cancelled due to LD 5 & 6).
did you nominate a single resort? if so you are eligible because the resort was shut for 7 consecutive days in core season.

I'm not familiar with the all resorts policy but I'm guessing (please read the fine print yourself) that when all 3 have been shut for same 7 consec days, that should qualify. that will happen soon if not already

Reactions: snowgum

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
IIRC refunds for resort closure won't be made till Oct. I only read the stuff that applies to me so other triggers may give quicker refunds

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
did you nominate a single resort? if so you are eligible because the resort was shut for 7 consecutive days in core season.

I'm not familiar with the all resorts policy but I'm guessing (please read the fine print yourself) that when all 3 have been shut for same 7 consec days, that should qualify. that will happen soon if not already
Once you have been subject to a stay at home order for 30 days you are eligible. Melbourne will hit that at some stage soon surely? NSW people are claiming and getting refunded on that basis

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Thanks for your response, no I didn’t nominate a resort or a time period AFAIR. First ever season pass for us anywhere - a bit green I’m afraid. Took a punt, didn’t work, yarda…

Looks like we’re safer nominating specific resorts and time periods?

Yes, will read the print closely, I was hoping not to claim, but that’s fools gold now.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Once you have been subject to a stay at home order for 30 days you are eligible. Melbourne will hit that at some stage soon surely? NSW people are claiming and getting refunded on that basis
Thanks Robbo. Rather be skiing but the $ will help for a ‘Better & vaccinated 2022 winter’. :thumbs:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Thanks for your response, no I didn’t nominate a resort or a time period AFAIR. First ever season pass for us anywhere - a bit green I’m afraid. Took a punt, didn’t work, yarda…

Looks like we’re safer nominating specific resorts and time periods?

Yes, will read the print closely, I was hoping not to claim, but that’s fools gold now.
The right thing to nominate really depends on your own situation. You should be able to check in your account what your nomination was. IIRC the default was core season, all resorts.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Thanks Robbo. Rather be skiing but the $ will help for a ‘Better & vaccinated 2022 winter’. :thumbs:

You shouldn't stress.

Its not in Vails interest to piss off their customers generally, but particularly not in Australia.

You only really hear the bad stories online, the literally 1000s of people who get refunded no problems, are not going to pop on here to compliment Vail. People just are not that nice.

Just work through the process and be patient. Its not like its ever been a "business process" for a ski resort to refund money. Their systems are not set up for it, so its gonna be all manual, and take some time.

The refund will come.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
You shouldn't stress.

Its not in Vails interest to piss off their customers generally, but particularly not in Australia.

You only really hear the bad stories online, the literally 1000s of people who get refunded no problems, are not going to pop on here to compliment Vail. People just are not that nice.

Just work through the process and be patient. Its not like its ever been a "business process" for a ski resort to refund money. Their systems are not set up for it, so its gonna be all manual, and take some time.

The refund will come.
Thanks, that reassuring - I’m driven by wanting to ski of course. But if a refund helps next year I’ll stick my hand up.

It’s interesting that Vail have not called the season ‘over’? Maybe there’s a glimmer? (A metre + helps!)

Reactions: Kash and Chaeron

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Thanks, that reassuring - I’m driven by wanting to ski of course. But if a refund helps next year I’ll stick my hand up.

It’s interesting that Vail have not called the season ‘over’? Maybe there’s a glimmer? (A metre + helps!)
That's what I'm thinking, very good snow conditions means if they can open up, even to regional, people will come up and ski and not get refunds. I would think that's in their best interests. They stand to not have to refund lots of money and make a bit more if they can reopen.

I like glimmers.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
That's what I'm thinking, very good snow conditions means if they can open up, even to regional, people will come up and ski and not get refunds. I would think that's in their best interests. They stand to not have to refund lots of money and make a bit more if they can reopen.

I like glimmers.
I like glimmers
I very much doubt that they will reopen but can understand them not shutting off the option completely.

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
The previous 2 lockdowns this year their socials (Hotham and Falls lift company sites) said something along the lines of "Looking forwards to reopening again when it's safe to do so". This last lockdown the lift co socials are silent on the potential for reopening. You will notice there's 2 facebook sites for each resort, one being the RMB and the other being Vail so don't be confused.

Buller fans dodged a bullet by not being bought by Vail. Incredible that they're still making snow. Is needed though if there is the intent to run into October as it was starting to thin out at the base of Wombat lift.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
The previous 2 lockdowns this year their socials (Hotham and Falls lift company sites) said something along the lines of "Looking forwards to reopening again when it's safe to do so". This last lockdown the lift co socials are silent on the potential for reopening. You will notice there's 2 facebook sites for each resort, one being the RMB and the other being Vail so don't be confused.

Buller fans dodged a bullet by not being bought by Vail. Incredible that they're still making snow. Is needed though if there is the intent to run into October as it was starting to thin out at the base of Wombat lift.
Last season there was a txt which went out to all Vail staff saying that Hotham and Falls were closed for the winter. That hasn't happened yet.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Yes very grateful that the Grollos said thanks but no thanks. I’m sure the Buller season pass demographic was of greater interest to Vail so it’s pleasing that it didn’t come to that.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Wish Grollos would buy Hotham and Falls too...c'mon guys get after it!
Grolllo’s family fortune took a bit of a hit last year - cash flow is a bit down - one of the younger Grollos’ Grocon enterprise ran into trouble…..

We need to look to some of the other Aussie billionaires- quite a few knocking about in the background at Hotham/Falls - playing, rather than investing….

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Grolllo’s family fortune took a bit of a hit last year - cash flow is a bit down - one of the younger Grollos’ Grocon enterprise ran into trouble…..

We need to look to some of the other Aussie billionaires- quite a few knocking about in the background at Hotham/Falls - playing, rather than investing….
Grocon is the Bruno Grollo side of the family, he and Rino separated their interests many years ago. Rino's family owns and runs Buller.

PG2736

Addicted
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
I am in the minority but I am happy for Vail to own Hotham. They have the capacity to invest and will do so…Covid hasn’t helped things and will have delayed things. Little bit. Hotham has a lot of development potential. I also love the EPIC pass as pre-Covid we would always travel to the US/Canada each year and would get a lot of value out of it.

Reactions: Young Angus

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I wouldn't be too confident of Vail throwing the cash around, they have had Perisher for 6 years and I don't see much evidence of it there, 1 new lift that I suspect was started before they bought in anyway. A bit of money spent on the tube which they had to do for compliance but not much spent anywhere else.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
I am in the minority but I am happy for Vail to own Hotham. They have the capacity to invest and will do so…Covid hasn’t helped things and will have delayed things. Little bit. Hotham has a lot of development potential. I also love the EPIC pass as pre-Covid we would always travel to the US/Canada each year and would get a lot of value out of it.
I do agree with this, without COVID I thought this was a great idea, kind of useless without it but similar price to Hero Pass so no big deal.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I wouldn't be too confident of Vail throwing the cash around, they have had Perisher for 6 years and I don't see much evidence of it there, 1 new lift that I suspect was started before they bought in anyway. A bit of money spent on the tube which they had to do for compliance but not much spent anywhere else.
Nothing especially announceable, but heaps of small stuff has happened, groomers, snowmaking upgrades, snow fencing. Bucket loads has been spent on internal structure and culture.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Nothing especially announceable, but heaps of small stuff has happened, groomers, snowmaking upgrades, snow fencing. Bucket loads has been spent on internal structure and culture.
No different to what was going on over the last 25 years. My discussions with long term employees is that the purse strings are tightening, not loosening.

• Sad

PG2736

Addicted
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
There is no question that at the moment given the current fickle Covid situation that you need to tighten the purse strings…every business is doing it and it would be irresponsible not to. The snow making investments into HV have been great and there isn’t to many other resorts in Vic that can get some more advanced terrain open as early as they can. Reality is all we are asking for is a couple of new lifts…and Heavenly is nearly at the point of no return! Private development can handle the new accom and central square development for Corral. Property prices have gone through the roof so that makes the numbers stack up. I am glass half full on this…all good things come to those who wait!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
There is no question that at the moment given the current fickle Covid situation that you need to tighten the purse strings…every business is doing it and it would be irresponsible not to.
Yep Buller has had to postpone the Grimus Chair upgrade - it has a DA and all the design etc is complete, but Covid might push it behind the Horse Hill chair which is more of a maintenance challenge due to being an old detachable and is getting very close to the end.

So while the Grollo investment recently has been excellent with the dam and snowmaking expansions (yes there were govt grants too) and the Bourke St Express, Covid losses can affect even the deepest of pockets.

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Yep Buller has had to postpone the Grimus Chair upgrade - it has a DA and all the design etc is complete, but Covid might push it behind the Horse Hill chair which is more of a maintenance challenge due to being an old detachable and is getting very close to the end.

So while the Grollo investment recently has been excellent with the dam and snowmaking expansions (yes there were govt grants too) and the Bourke St Express, Covid losses can affect even the deepest of pockets.
Maybe Buller could design HH to be MTB-compatible from the onset? This would do a lot for green months. Less reliance on frequent Smokey diesel shuttles? ;) More Gondola pods potentially? Or not?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Maybe Buller could design HH to be MTB-compatible from the onset? This would do a lot for green months. Less reliance on frequent Smokey diesel shuttles? ;) More Gondola pods potentially? Or not?
Hallelujah!

Yes a proper detachable mid load at Chalet Creek would be a game changer, plus the bike rack hardware.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Oh boy, wow wee.
Wouldn’t just change the game, it could be the game.
Aren’t we over-speculating a tad?
I just assume it would be New for Old - space line - shiny and new - maybe bike racks and more pods?

Chalet Ck development could be a game-changer but gee, Covid will push all timelines and make borderline stuff unviable?

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Aren’t we over-speculating a tad?
I just assume it would be New for Old - space line - shiny and new - maybe bike racks and more pods?

Chalet Ck development could be a game-changer but gee, Covid will push all timelines and make borderline stuff unviable?
Dream a little.

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Manager of our lodge is on the HSA committee, he has no love for Vail. He says they don’t even have the time to open their ears to try and work with them or the RMB. Insular organisation who run their own show with complete disregard to any stakeholder.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass