Hotham/Falls lift staff sent home...will they reopen?

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
# at least ten up and You others, can You go back to Your own thread, We don't want Buller rain and wet snow shit here.

Thanks, Hotham Skiers,
Well at least you didn’t get currawong to pop in and say "Well at Falls Creek…….."

• Haha
Reactions: Chaeron

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
Aren’t we over-speculating a tad?
I just assume it would be New for Old - space line - shiny and new - maybe bike racks and more pods?

Chalet Ck development could be a game-changer but gee, Covid will push all timelines and make borderline stuff unviable?
I don’t think the existing pods have been used for years, in fact I don’t recall seeing any of them recently even in storage at HH load, maybe I’m blind.

I know some of them got sent to NZ on a rental agreement a few years back, unsure if they came back.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
Manager of our lodge is on the HSA committee, he has no love for Vail. He says they don’t even have the time to open their ears to try and work with them or the RMB. Insular organisation who run their own show with complete disregard to any stakeholder.
That isn't great is it, I don't like hearing things like that, what a shame.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Manager of our lodge is on the HSA committee, he has no love for Vail. He says they don’t even have the time to open their ears to try and work with them or the RMB. Insular organisation who run their own show with complete disregard to any stakeholder.
The word I hear from Falls and Gotham is how Vail in Aus is basically Perisher.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Well no surprises there.
Peter Brulisauer- formerly COO Perisher, now COO Vail Australia, Richard Phillips - formerly Sales and Marketing Manager, Perisher, now VP and General Manager Falls Creek, Gavin Girling - formerly HR Manager Perisher, now HR Manager Australia. Need I go on?

• Haha

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I remember Falls people complaining after the merger in the mid/late 90s that everything was too Hotham-centric and a lot of infrastructure got moved across etc so if that sentiment has shifted to a Perisher dominated situation they probably feel even more disenfranchised.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Well no surprises there.
Peter Brulisauer- formerly COO Perisher, now COO Vail Australia, Richard Phillips - formerly Sales and Marketing Manager, Perisher, now VP and General Manager Falls Creek, Gavin Girling - formerly HR Manager Perisher, now HR Manager Australia. Need I go on?
That's more a timeline thing with Perisher joining the fold prior to Hotham and Falls. The Vail operating systems had been / were being implemented at Perisher, so it made sense. Plus roles had changed very recently at both Falls and Hotham prior to the Vail move, so there was more stability at Perisher and longer tenure. Honestly, don't think there was any us and them or NSW / Vic prejudice, it was probably more circumstance than anything.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Vail management probably looks to leveraging off the Perisher model to manage the VIC resorts.

That would have been in the acquisition slide pack by the strategy team to motivate the purchase, along with the financials on the increased travel to US Vail resorts by Aussies…..

From our point of view we’re so aware of the differences between the Oz resorts - including an awareness of their key differences in terms of operating model, demographics, core market, strengths, weaknesses, shortcomings.

From Vail’s corporate strategy perspective the Aussie commonalities outweigh the differences, and the simplification of overseas complexity (AKA ‘realising synergies’) is probably the dominant management paradigm.

In retrospect Merlin sold at a good price at the right time.

Do the Atlassian blokes snowboard?

Reactions: nezumi

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Vail management probably looks to leveraging off the Perisher model to manage the VIC resorts.

That would have been in the acquisition slide pack by the strategy team to motivate the purchase, along with the financials on the increased travel to US Vail resorts by Aussies…..

From our point of view we’re so aware of the differences between the resorts - including an awareness of their key differences in terms of operating model, demographics, core market, strengths, weaknesses, shortcomings.

From Vail’s corporate strategy perspective the Aussie commonalities outweigh the differences, and the simplification of overseas complexity (AKA ‘realising synergies’) is probably the dominant management paradigm.

In retrospect Merlin sold at a good price at the right time.

Do the Atlassian blokes snowboard?
Yes. However the acquisition was more opportune than the culmination of a grander plan. Vail were happy with their Perisher acquisition, very happy indeed. They had a foothold into the Australian market which was strategic for their Epic pass plans and weren't looking to increase their Australian holdings.

Alterra wanted into the Aussie feeder market as well and was in negotiation with Merlin to acquire Hotham / Falls but were stuffing around no end. Word filtered to Vail, they thought let's keep Alterra out, knowing that neither Thredbo or Buller had any appetite to sell so picked up the phone and said we'll pay you what you want, deal done. Alterra were not happy, Merlin and Vail were. It happened very fast.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Did I read it right that it will be day trippers only, no accommodation is allowed to open?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Did I read it right that it will be day trippers only, no accommodation is allowed to open?
From the table of restrictions
Accommodation: Open to people who live in regional area. Bookings permitted for single households, intimate partners or single bubbles.

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
now open to Regional Victoria guests but only Regional Victoria peoples? what about SA, QLD, TAS, WA

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
By the way, VR has also been trying to apply the same management approach to the small mountains they ended up in the east with because of the Peak Resorts acquisition. Same sort of complaints. What works in the Rockies doesn't necessarily work in New England or Pennsylvania, mostly because the local "culture" of the employees is different.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
now open to Regional Victoria guests but only Regional Victoria peoples? what about SA, QLD, TAS, WA
probably, I haven't looked

pretty sure anyone who did come from those states would not be able to go home without quarantine, if at all.

KL.

One of Us
Aug 4, 2005
probably, I haven't looked

pretty sure anyone who did come from those states would not be able to go home without quarantine, if at all.
yes, you are probably right and, unfortunately, the ring fencing is making the effort too hard but ...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass