Hotham Needs.........

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne
Hey Phatty, we so *almost* shared a run! This was us on the 22/08/08

PHOTO_1659278_39473_3055360_ap.jpg

PHOTO_1659271_39473_3055360_ap.jpg

I think I can see from left to right Q, Doug, The Squidge, Slushii, Snorkler, Yardsale (sitting), and Jason.

PHOTO_1688759_39473_3055360_ap.jpg

and that's me ... that little splodge in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
VSG, it's Silver Brumby Hut. It was built as a temporary shell for a film circa 15 years ago and soon became derelict because it was only built to last for a month of shooting. A few years ago the Hotham Resort Management Board had it rebuilt for tourist purposes.

It was/is supposed to be part of their 4+ hour "Three Huts Walk", starting at Loch Spur - Derrick Hut - Spargo's Hut - Plains of Heaven area - Hotham Heights. But so far they haven't built a track from Derrick to Spargo's or down to The Plains of Heaven, so it remains fairly isolated and unknown.

Azz

One of Us
Jun 16, 2006
East Gippsland, Victoria
VSG, when you are at the load of Blue Ribbon, its about 50 mtrs behind you near the creek. It is just out of sight from the load.

If you head to the right of the load station you come down Blue Rib, there is a track that goes to it.
There is also a unattractive shed with a pump in it down there as well, closer to the creek.

In summer, its best to walk from the Village load along the trail to Blue Ribbon.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Azz said:
VSG, when you are at the load of Blue Ribbon, its about 50 mtrs behind you near the creek. It is just out of sight from the load.

If you head to the right of the load station you come down Blue Rib, there is a track that goes to it.
There is also a unattractive shed with a pump in it down there as well, closer to the creek.

In summer, its best to walk from the Village load along the trail to Blue Ribbon.

So the Spargo's Hut marked on many maps... eg this one... still exists?

hotham_changes111.jpg

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
VSG said:
Azz said:

So the Spargo's Hut marked on many maps... eg this one... still exists?

hotham_changes111.jpg

It's in a photo I posted earlier in this thread:

Sandy said:
Here's what Hotham needs:

newlift2.jpg

Shown are the existing lifts (pink), the new Golden Point lift in purple, with a mid load station for intermediates & beginners (Golden point is actually the dip between that hill and the hill east of One Tree & Spargos)

You can see that beginners runs go around the hill to the mid load, and on a cat track right down to the bottom of the new lift (marked blue) Past Spargo's hut. Intermediate runs go off the hill to the mid load. Note that these intermediate are not much shorter than Orchard.

Black runs go down the steeper terrain off the mid load, while others go off the cat track down to the creek. A bridge would take you across to the Blue Ribbon chair, and then you could do the loop, Blue Ribbon to the Davenport trail, to the Golden Point chair.

GoldenPointXY.jpg

GoldenPointXYX.jpg

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
"I'm turning Japanese, I'm turning Japanese, I really think so....................................."

Thanks.

あなたが知恵をはるかにテラコッタヨシこれらのカンガルーよりも大きいと、尊敬の紳士です...

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Azz said:
Summer pics Slushii. Sorry I only have black and white, must of been having a monochrome moment
smile.gif

Lovely pics, Azz, thanks for taking the time to find and upload them here.

Nice pic, there, too, WhistlerDP...

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Ok my turn... back to what Hotham needs:

Since Falls have their Flying Boats on the rocky valley dam and there aren't any commercial flights from Melbourne and I'm not willing to get there in 3:45 by road, (think Jeremy Clarkson voiceover) I've decided to come up with a solution...

fa969e0b.jpg

The high-speed üBB is a gondola connecting Melbourne to Hotham direct, with a pass-over of buller (it's not a mid-station). The pass-over point is marked 'WC' and the üBB gondolas have a unique feature (a hole that opens up) allowing passengers to dump on buller.

Talstation: Eureka Tower
Bergstation: Top of Heavenly Valley.

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
Hermannator said:
What about those planes that can land on glaciers? Get that DJ bloke out of the genny to groom a landing strip?

DJ Eddy Airlines, is a very scary thought.
laugh.gif

RobboDP

Hard Yards
Jun 6, 2011
It was the hut used the in the movie Silver Brumby with Russell Crowe, was a bit of a flop

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
I was looking this afternoon at how much a five day (from thursday to monday) sojourn would cost my wife and I. The costs were reasonable to my expectations - no complaint there, what got me was the inflexibility of the accommodation timetable which was strictly monday to friday or saturday and sunday. The QANTAS link flights can accommodate for a Thursday arrival and a Monday departure so why can't the hotels?

If anyone knows of a place that is flexible with dates please let me know - admittedly I have only started searching, so apologies if this is not the case.

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
cheapish luxury
smile.gif

seriously, a studio or hotel, ski in and out. That's about it.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
A back country campground, over on GP. Pit toilets, water tank, solar powered electricity. For mobile phone re-charging and ipad connectivity.

Maximum 30 clients at a time. Booked in advance. Entry through RFID process. Daily checks by patrollers.

Access from Loch car park.

Hothamsouthvvvcamping.jpg

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
ok I will try Zirkys, I hear its a bit of an institution, like staying at the Alpine in Thredbo, I imagine.

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
crazyman said:
Hotham needs.....SNOW!
Well, there were plenty as far as Opening Weekend goes
biggrin.gif
Had a ball up there, especially Saturday with the bright blue skies and gentle breeze.

But yeah, we'll need more snow stat!
biggrin.gif

RedKlister

First Runs
Jun 20, 2011
Mt.Hotham needs a complete overhaul of all the dead wood running the resort.
One autonomous system rather than several unco-operative systems.
Management need to look up the word "Resort" and re-discover its meaning.
Not one more single bed to be built as the hill is over crowded as is.
True co-operation with the hill just over the ways that is ideal for the begginer/intermediate skier, owned by the same people, and get all the slow zones over there, not in the fast places that used to make Mt.Hotham ace.
Take all the ego munching, try hard racing idiots and put them all on Blue ribbon rather than clog an already busy zone with eggs doing stem christies through gates during the "Whoever" race weeks that seem to take up the most of July and August.
Money to be spent on lifts in viable zones.
The black storm trooper look to go.
All the people that waste their hard earned on the current system to boycot the place.
An attitude and reality wake up.
The ombudsman to have a real good look at the way this amazing place is being taken away from all average Australians through pricing them out.
The Kat skiing to be ousted.
and on, and on , and on.

VSG

Crayon Master
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
RedKlister said:
One autonomous system rather than several unco-operative systems. Management need to look up the word "Resort" and re-discover its meaning.
True co-operation with the hill just over the ways that is ideal for the begginer/intermediate skier, owned by the same people, and ]get all the slow zones over there, not in the fast places that used to make Mt.Hotham ace.
Take all the ego munching, try hard racing idiots and put them all on Blue ribbon
rather than clog an already busy zone with eggs doing stem christies through gates during the "Whoever" race weeks that seem to take up the most of July and August.
All the people that waste their hard earned on the current system to boycot the place.
The ombudsman to have a real good look at the way this amazing place is being taken away from all average Australians through pricing them out.
and on, and on , and on.

Tell it like it is.
biggrin.gif

the_guru

One of Us
May 30, 2002
On Location!
RedKlister said:
True co-operation with the hill just over the ways that is ideal for the begginer/intermediate skier, owned by the same people, and get all the slow zones over there, not in the fast places that used to make Mt.Hotham ace.
Take all the ego munching, try hard racing idiots and put them all on Blue ribbon rather than clog an already busy zone with eggs doing stem christies through gates during the "Whoever" race weeks that seem to take up the most of July and August.
and on, and on , and on.

Nice! They don't employ passionate people that have a keen interest in skiing/boarding and the mountains.

lunchcutter

One of Us
Aug 13, 2010
the_guru said:
RedKlister said:
and on, and on , and on.

Nice! They don't employ passionate people that have a keen interest in skiing/boarding and the mountains.

Yep, it's Jamie and his kooky scientologist mates colluding with the Buller wankers to make things more wanky at Hotham. Carveman will love it.

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne
RedKlister said:
Mt.Hotham needs ...
Take all the ego munching, try hard racing idiots and put them all on Blue ribbon rather than clog an already busy zone with eggs doing stem christies through gates during the "Whoever" race weeks that seem to take up the most of July and August....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Say what? Now fess up, you didn't ski at Hotham last July and August did you now, RedKlister? Do you realise the ONLY racing at Hotham in 2010 was the ANC Ski Cross for 2 days on the course under Road Runner? These included Olympians and World Cup racers. Most people would think it was an honour to watch such amazing racers. And as for the "eggs doing stem christies through gates" well, you'll have to help me out with who they are ... we don't have interschools or corporate cup at Hotham. Maybe you just had a bad dream?

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
flakey doesnt like you ney saying hotham
nono.gif
laugh.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums