Hotham or Falls Creek for beginner snowboarder

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Hi Team,

Apolgies in advance for the snowboard related nature of this thread. I'm a beginner-intermediate skier and I've convinced my partner to get back on the snow after a bad fall/concussion learning to ski a few years ago.

She's going to try snowboarding instead this time in a hope the movement is more familiar with a background in wakeboarding.

We have accommodation booked in Bright (unfortunately bound by school holiday dates) and I was planning to book her pass and lessons at Hotham because it's closer to our accommodation and we haven't been to Hotham before.

However, looking at the trail map there are only 4 short green runs and majority difficult terrain, compared to Falls with a lot more beginner/intermediate terrain.

Should we book Falls instead or will Hotham still be ok for a first time snowboarder? I'm concerned the beginner runs at Hotham will quickly become a nightmare given how few and short they are. Or will Hotham be ok, perhaps most beginners head to Falls instead for the same reason?

Cheers!

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I haven't been to Hotham yet, but I have been to Falls. The beginner runs there are great, with a good increase in difficulty to allow for progression.

Reactions: Sweefu

Pisteoff

Hard Yards
Jun 26, 2016
Hotham has some good beginner runs but very few lower intermediate runs. Falls has good beginner runs and a lot of lower intermediate runs. Any beginner skier we have taken to the snow, has preferred Falls.

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
For all of Falls advantages especially in the lower intermediate category, I personally think Hotham's summit area is the best beginner strip in Victoria. Early risers can get a spot in the Coral carpark nearby which can be rather convenient for first timers as well.

However there is a caveat, the summit area, (the views are absolutely stunning) is horribly exposed. It's only really nice maybe 2 days a week. So unless your good a reading weather maps or flexible I would take the more reliable Falls option.

Reactions: Sweefu and gaz35

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
For all of Falls advantages especially in the lower intermediate category, I personally think Hotham's summit area is the best beginner strip in Victoria. Early risers can get a spot in the Coral carpark nearby which can be rather convenient for first timers as well.

However there is a caveat, the summit area, (the views are absolutely stunning) is horribly exposed. It's only really nice maybe 2 days a week. So unless your good a reading weather maps or flexible I would take the more reliable Falls option.
The summit is ok but as you say horribly exposed and funnels into it's steepest point at the same time as it narrows right down. The bottom part is crazy at times.

Nothing on what Falls has.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
how long are you going for?

hotham's summit & big D are good beginner slopes. if you are only going for a couple of days then taht could be fine. as others have said, the weather can be pretty bleak on summit. big D is a bit more sheltered but still not great.

if she expects to be there long enough to get off beginner slopes, then Falls for sure.

travel time to falls may not be much worse than hotham. in bad weather it may be quicker.

assuming there is terrain open, don't let her get sucked into thinking that wombats ramble is the best run. wide open spaces of drovers and playground will be less crowded

Reactions: nezumi and Sweefu
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Amazing help, thanks everyone! Sounds like it'll he worth the extra drive and head to Falls instead.

We are there for 4 days skiing this trip (Sunday to Wednesday) hopefully the week days won't be as bad as the weekend but given school holidays and the year we are having it'll all be packed regardless.

Cheers

Reactions: currawong
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass