Question Hotham Overnight Parking

Ricardo64

One of Us
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Everyone,
I am looking to find somewhere I can safely park my car overnight (or a few of them) for a split board trip along the Razor back. From my understanding the Loch car park (being the closest to the trail head) is only a day car park.
Is there anywhere? to park a car that I don't have to hike a mile and potentially being hit by cars. I am not fussed about paying for the parking as longas the car is safe.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
If you know that you are going on an overnight trip, you can park in the overnight parking areas and then use the village shuttle to get to the Razorback end of the village. Unfortunately it looks like that is only going to get you to Hotham Central, not all the way to the Loch car park, which is a bit poor.

Reactions: Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Outside of winter and in the spring many people leave their cars overnight at the side of the road near Diamantina Hut, which is the start of the Razorback. I'm not sure of the legality or practicality of this during winter tho. There's probably not enough space, not to mention potential damage from snow plows n stuff.
2022-04-19 16_37_55-Diamantina Hut - Google Maps.png

As Nezumi said, the overnight parking and shuttle busses to central are probably a better option.
There was no shuttle to Loch carpark last year, but this year its meant to be "open" enough that its useable, and I believe that suggests that the busses will get you up to there.
However even from there the walk won't be so nice with cars trucks and buses going by.

Seeing as you're already going backcountry, I thought perhaps a tiny bit more effort for a different route might be a more interesting adventure:
Park at overnight parking and take a bus to central.
If you can bus to loch, then just bootpack or skin to top of summit chair (Purple, 200m, I'd probably skin rather than bootpack).
Otherwise take the lift or skin to summit chair to summit (Blue) (I'm not sure of the rules skinning inbounds, I'd suggest just make sure you skin out of the way, eg along lookers right outside of the jbar and under roadrunner chair).
Bootpack or skin to the fire lookout tower. Its almost dead flat, 800m. (green to green circle).
Remove skins, board down to edge of resort boundary and chuck a right to drop down onto the road right next to razorback (green).

The clearing you can see on the map there is a mini avalanche path so it can be a bit steep and slippy and rocky and damage your gear (red), and the trees past that point can be hella tight and filled with ice and impassable (orange), but between the two I bet there's still a way to ski straight to Diamantina Hut! At worst, take skiers left right next to the red avi zone.

I've considered heading to Razorback either of these ways before, however I usually only do Razor at the end of the season, which means we just drive there instead. However I do very frequently ski to this same route from summit past the resort border to access Dargo Bowl and Baldy Creek carlaps. Its icy windblown crap, often quite thin, but its not a difficult route.

Do the reverse on your way back home. Head back to Hotham Central and walk through the village.
Skin up Higginbotham from the back of the village 550m (end of yellow) (a little bit around from behind Razorback apartments there's a national park summer zig zag trail up there, youll probably see existing tracks going up it, dont be tempted to go through the trees on the west they'll close you out).
Cross the flat top of Higginbotham to the top of Big D chairlift.
Ski down to the bottom of the chair.
Go to the Genny and have a beer
and then catch the bus back to overnight carpark directly across the road from there.
2022_04_19_16_52_11_Google_Maps.png

If you remind me later in the season I can check if busses are heading to Loch for you. They don't start running until June long weekend I think.

Reactions: Boodwah and nezumi

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
Outside of winter and in the spring many people leave their cars overnight at the side of the road near Diamantina Hut, which is the start of the Razorback. I'm not sure of the legality or practicality of this during winter tho. There's probably not enough space, not to mention potential damage from snow plows n stuff.
2022-04-19 16_37_55-Diamantina Hut - Google Maps.png

As Nezumi said, the overnight parking and shuttle busses to central are probably a better option.
There was no shuttle to Loch carpark last year, but this year its meant to be "open" enough that its useable, and I believe that suggests that the busses will get you up to there.
However even from there the walk won't be so nice with cars trucks and buses going by.

Seeing as you're already going backcountry, I thought perhaps a tiny bit more effort for a different route might be a more interesting adventure:
Park at overnight parking and take a bus to central.
If you can bus to loch, then just bootpack or skin to top of summit chair (Purple, 200m, I'd probably skin rather than bootpack).
Otherwise take the lift or skin to summit chair to summit (Blue) (I'm not sure of the rules skinning inbounds, I'd suggest just make sure you skin out of the way, eg along lookers right outside of the jbar and under roadrunner chair).
Bootpack or skin to the fire lookout tower. Its almost dead flat, 800m. (green to green circle).
Remove skins, board down to edge of resort boundary and chuck a right to drop down onto the road right next to razorback (green).

The clearing you can see on the map there is a mini avalanche path so it can be a bit steep and slippy and rocky and damage your gear (red), and the trees past that point can be hella tight and filled with ice and impassable (orange), but between the two I bet there's still a way to ski straight to Diamantina Hut! At worst, take skiers left right next to the red avi zone.

I've considered heading to Razorback either of these ways before, however I usually only do Razor at the end of the season, which means we just drive there instead. However I do very frequently ski to this same route from summit past the resort border to access Dargo Bowl and Baldy Creek carlaps. Its icy windblown crap, often quite thin, but its not a difficult route.

Do the reverse on your way back home. Head back to Hotham Central and walk through the village.
Skin up Higginbotham from the back of the village 550m (end of yellow) (a little bit around from behind Razorback apartments there's a national park summer zig zag trail up there, youll probably see existing tracks going up it, dont be tempted to go through the trees on the west they'll close you out).
Cross the flat top of Higginbotham to the top of Big D chairlift.
Ski down to the bottom of the chair.
Go to the Genny and have a beer
and then catch the bus back to overnight carpark directly across the road from there.
2022_04_19_16_52_11_Google_Maps.png

If you remind me later in the season I can check if busses are heading to Loch for you. They don't start running until June long weekend I think.
The Loch carpark is supposedly going to be part completed for this winter so you would expect buses to be going there as a part of their circuit.

Reactions: Young Angus

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Jacks of Loch car park being finished for winter, they could well still struggle to finish the trafficlight one way section up from Baldy Hollow which is what they seriously need to hurry up on.
Park anywhere on the alpine road overnight where it says no overnight parking (Incl Loch) and you will be fined heavily. But if you’re happy to pay , you can find space at the Cross and it’s then easy enough to ski down to the Razor. Try hitching back up to yr car on return.
A day trip along the Razor to Feather from Diamantina is a long but very rewarding day if you start early and are happy w the weather window.

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
I've left my car at diamantina hut for a few days in winter with no issues (not for a few years mind you). Just be sure and park right up against the wall and be prepared for a big dig out if it snows and they have to plow around you.

Young Angus

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2018
The Bellarine
The Loch carpark is supposedly going to be part completed for this winter so you would expect buses to be going there as a part of their circuit.
Is that right? Bus going to Loch...that'd be cool finally!

Sorry off topic, above advice very good I'd just be parking down in overnight spots and busing to Central and getting up from there myself. Not so bad :)

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass