Hotham staff accommodation...

molly88

First Runs
Mar 25, 2008
Hi,
Thinking of working at Hotham this season and was wondering if anyone could tell me how far staff accommodation is located from the slopes?
Would I need a car to get around or could I use the shuttle?
Thanks in advance!

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
The staff accom on the mountain is a bit average (basically you have spiral stairs or just below it) which is basic bunk/dorm accomodation.

Other than that, Dinner Plain has a few places (you buy yourself a season bus pass or get a car parking pass and drive up each day). If you want to stay down at DP, PM wombat2000 here - he has nice large house in DP that does staff accommodation. Quite a few of the staff that come back yearly stay there again and again.

KIREAL

First Runs
Apr 7, 2008
Gday Molly88, DP is about 12 kms from the hill. If you work for the company you may be alloted staff accom, either at Hotham or at DP. Beware, accom at both DP and Hotham will leave you broke and angry. All accom will come with a $250 - $300++ per week price tag and you will be sharing with 2 or 3 other complete strangers in a tiny space, and thats just your room. There may be up to 10 or more strangers living in a three bedroom house. No cooking facilities on the hill and if in DP kitchens are generally small and end up really unhygenic rapidy. You will also be asked to pay for the amenities, which will add up to thousands of $$ by season end. I have seen first hand dozens of houses that are blatently over crowded and bordering on dangerous. Its no wonder that you will spend the majority of your spare time, and cash, at the bar getting pissed. Private house are no better as landlords are cashing in for the winter as they have generelly recieved zero income for the rest of the year, not to mention that they payed a stupid amount for their house in the first place. A really smart option is to look at Omeo or Harrietville, even another mountain. You do have to drive but you live as a human should, not as an exploited worker.The drive from Omeo is a breeze, from Harrietville, well it can be demanding of the best drivers often. Hotham has not yet figured it out. Keep in mind that they will get you up there for opening weekend and there is usually no guests untill July, and most of September, so hours will be minimal and in the majority of cases you will end up completely broke and jaded come the start of July. You get no discounts on accom when the mountain is empty, and that is 2 of the 4 months that is the winter. The bus sevice is crap to say the least. There is never a reliable PM service, a silly and dangerous senario. It is a scam. Yardsales call of a bit average regarding the Blue ribbon and Viral stairs accom on mountain is nice. Massive multi roomed bunk houses. Pre chewed food served on mass and one get sick, all get sick. In 1997 most crew living there ended up with Crabs. Be warned.
Wake up Australia!

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne
Omeo commute is approx 40 minutes, an easy drive. Not much difference if there is heavy snow, and road doesn't generally get closed. Chances of getting rental accommodation in Omeo is rather slim, as the mine at Benambra has re-opened, and houses are hard to find. If you can though, you will love it down there! And you have a good supermarket, shops, pharmacist, cafes, restaurants, pubs and the best butcher for miles!

I second Yardsale's referral to wombat200's lodge at DP - there are many returning residents there each year who love it. We've often stayed there and it's comfortable and friendly. Commuting from DP is easy via the shuttle bus. Wombat's lodge has a big kitchen and dining area, so there's no trouble cooking great food. I believe it is cheaper to stay at his lodge than to stay on Hotham in dodgy accomodation. PM wombat200 if you are still interested.

And if you get crabs there it's your own fault
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffo

Hard Yards
May 4, 2005
haha true.

Staff Accommodation seems very steep compared to some of the other resorts, any particular reason? Or is Kireal exaggerating?

the_guru

One of Us
May 30, 2002
On Location!
Sounds like Kireal might have had the rough end of the stick. Lucky for some , not so lucky for others.
In the many years that I shared rooms doing ski seasons, I never really had any problems. Can't say the rooms were in good nick, but we made sure they were clean. You can wash the bedding yourself you know.
The dollars that Kireal mentioned aren't right. You should come in for less than that.
Good little rant though. Quite amusing really. As I said his description is the worst case scenario.
Kirea, you'd do well doing stand up in the ski resorts around Oz. the staff would love it.
thumbsup.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sambo2476

First Runs
Feb 5, 2008
Do you have a more accurate approximation of the prices?
Im also interested in staff accomodation

KIREAL

First Runs
Apr 7, 2008
Happy as a pig on a powder day. Thought about stand up, but the crabs I caught from a filthy bed took all my jokes! Ive had a great run in the hills, cant say the same for many others though. The dollars are right Guru. I know first hand.
Wake up Australia.

Porkypine

First Runs
Dec 12, 2000
West Africa
Your 'punchline' sucks.

Viral stairs was no more than $170ish a week in 2004. It's pretty tight, and it's true germs pass easily but I had a blast!

KIREAL

First Runs
Apr 7, 2008
Hats off to you wombat200, first time Ive heard of a deal like that. Pitty you cant house all the staff! The 8 to 12 staff (out of 500 or more that are required to run the whole of Hotham and DP) that spend the season at yours must be stoked, and are possibly outstanding return staff. Commendable! My point being that if Hotham were to spend a few mill on a real staff accom program, and have staff living in self contained units with no one sharing a room except couples, staff morale will increase, return staff will increase, recruitment costs will decrease and the overall standard of service at the resort will become much more professional. Ever tried being on early shift when one or more "roomies/strangers" come home pissed at 3am, with company and start some grunting and sweating. Not a good way to wake up then deal with trying to be a professional instructor, patroller, masseur, lifty, ticket sales person, barista etc. The model has been tried and proven in the US. At Hotham, instead of great staff returning again and again, developing rapport with return guests over the years, creating more cash flow and a better place to be, they leave, hence recruitment of the next batch of suckers begins. There will always be a percentage (a small one) of great return staff, happy to deal with it as is, but imagine an 80 to 90% return staff rate.
Ps No bitterness, just reality.
Wake up Australia.

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne
Yes KIREAL, I think those who stay at Wombat200's lodge are stoked ... and that's why Yardsale and I have so actively promoted it in this thread as an ideal accommodation option
wink.gif
... and yes many are outstanding return staff.

SuskiQ

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 16, 1999
Mostly Australia
KIREAL said:
if Hotham were to spend a few mill on a real staff accom program, and have staff living in self contained units with no one sharing a room except couples, .... Ever tried being on early shift when one or more "roomies/strangers" come home pissed at 3am, with company and start some grunting and sweating.

laugh.gif
Has anyone worked/lived on a mountain and NOT been through that???
laugh.gif
I thought it was part of the employment contract
laugh.gif

the_guru

One of Us
May 30, 2002
On Location!
Me. I never had to deal with that.
There used to be a thing we called respect. The core staff that ran the main place I worked were good at what we did. When the newbies arrived they were briefed as to what is expected during work and down in staff accommodation. If you disrespected that usually you'd get the flick.

yerha

First Runs
Apr 15, 2008
Yah just do it!!! Have some cash for drinking. Beer on Hotham is cheaper than falls.

Take heaps of dvds as well.

Ahh get a job in a bar or something like that so you can at least board or ski each day. I like being in kitchens or in rental shops. Try jack frosts. Or if you into partying get a job at swindlers and get staff accom at dolamites.

Nothing pisses you off more than not being able to get out and enjoy what you are there for.

I had accommodation at alpine heights three share for $220. we had a spa and the rest. Just did some hours cleaning each week when it was busy.

If you stay at DP its a pain to get home at night as the buses shut. You need a car or a ride with mates down that way to get home.

Xstaff

Hard Yards
Jul 19, 2006
Mornington Peninsula
When I worked at Hotham in the 90's a group of us booked a room in the Arlberg for the season, worked out to be about $2k each for the season. Dont know if they still rent rooms for the entire season but I would look into it if I were you. You get a kitchen and use of the pool, no buses or daily drive plus if you loose your job you dont loose your accom if it's part of your package........

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Wombat200 - do you know who from last year damaged your place? Is there any recourse (like keeping their bond, which probably doesn't cover the damage)? Maybe even reporting to Police and/or blacklisting them (and informing other accom places)?

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
In 1999 my price was $149 so I have no idea what KIREAL is talking about and crabs, nop never had any of that either, but then I didn't sleep around, no golden mattress for me

fallscreek_hotham

First Runs
Apr 8, 2003
Vic, Melbourne
gday guys,

thinking of heading up and working for the ski school (ski instructor) on school holis and weekends (plus a little extra here and there) All i want out of it is a season pass and a level 1 cert.

is that realistic to expect?

also can i get staff accom for the weekends?

and what would i expect to be paid as an un qualified instructor?

note im not in it to make money..im aware of the use and abuse policy of resorts.

suz

First Runs
Apr 28, 2008
NE Victoria
Not a problem to work the school hols and weekends. The min requirement I believe is every weekend in August and at least the second week of the Vic school hols to get a pass.
You will be able to train for your Level 1 - they usually have training on weekends for Part Timers. Whether you get it or not will be up to you.
Staff accom - sorry most definitely a no go for part timers. There's a real shortage for full timers let alone part timers. So you will have to talk to lots of people and try and scam something yourself.
Not sure how much you would get paid to start with. I think it's about $15 an hour (but it's been a while since I was on that pay so not sure). the thing is you only get paid for the lessons you teach and as a rookie that may not be that many - so don't expect to even pay for your costs from instructing at first. (But if you stick with it it does get better:) You will get more hours if you work as a kids instructor but you are down at Big D all the time.

loc

Hard Yards
Jul 8, 2006
adelaide
wombat200 said:
We have had a few returners over the years, but outstanding? maybe some of them, but after our visit up to the house last weekend (preparing for the seaon) we were still finding damage - outright vandalism - left by last year's guests......

We think we offer a good deal, and some do understand that, but others treat it like a place to trash & not fix the damage..... This is whay many businesses no longer provide staff accom - it's just not worth it, you can go backwards very easily. Most places at Hotham will only hire you now if you already have accom......

all you need to do is look at dolomites for a great example and what its become since it has become solely staff accomodation. i stayed there two years before it became staff accom as a punter, and whilst not the best and most luxurious, it was comfortable and clean. It has changed seriously since then

I have had to stay there twice in the band room whilst i have had gigs on the mountain and it opened my eyes to conditions massively.

my mate and i actually cleaned the kitchen for them the first year cos we were so appalled at the condition of it - and we wanted to eat without dying from bacteria. The fridge was not muchy better - a layer of stale water on the floor with bacteria growing out of it. Filthy toilets with no toilet paper, crap everywhere.

Its by no means the fault of the company that provides it - but a result of having 30 or so young kids straight out of school staying away from home for the first time - without someone to kick em up the backside so that they get it together.

Flakey

First Runs
May 2, 2006
Melbourne
fallscreek_hotham said:
gday guys,

thinking of heading up and working for the ski school (ski instructor) on school holis and weekends (plus a little extra here and there) All i want out of it is a season pass and a level 1 cert.

is that realistic to expect?

also can i get staff accom for the weekends?

and what would i expect to be paid as an un qualified instructor?

note im not in it to make money..im aware of the use and abuse policy of resorts.
In all due respect I think any instructor working for free undermines the principles and conditions faced by all instructors - especially the serious professional ones who face fairly difficult working circumstances in Australia. There are also indemnity issues, OH&S, etc ...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand you have to pay to get your level 1 certificate.

If all you want is a free pass, then volunteer to do Guest Services ... according to Rover that's the best job on the mountain
laugh.gif
... you don't get paid a cent, but you do get your pass.

azairvine

First Runs
May 10, 2008
Wow you're making me nervous here people.

This is my first season in the snow, and I've just accepted a position at Hotham. Night Manager at the Arlberg. I have accommodation at the resort, so I don't need to worry about finding any. From what I have researched online, the Arlberg looks to have quite nice conditions for living.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated though.

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side
Flakey said:
If all you want is a free pass, then volunteer to do Guest Services ... according to Rover that's the best job on the mountain
laugh.gif
... you don't get paid a cent, but you do get your pass.

Yes, thats right, you don't get paid a cent, but there is no "set hours" or "restrictions" as such.
A fairly rewarding job, and you do get a pass, and an excuse to go ski-ing !!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass