1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Hotham Stakeholder Briefing

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by FatBoyDave, Apr 22, 2016.

1. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Did anyone on here go?

First one I've been to. It was encouraging that the Hotham RMB is engaging with interested parties and open to suggestions and criticism in a public forum.

I learn't a few things.

Snowmaking
    $4.4 mill spent on new snowmaking, in lower Canyon, Lower Imagine and just got approval for snow making on the Summit and greater pumping capacity, (Summit area probably won't be installed this season though).
    All of Hotham's snow making is automated.
    Snow making on the Summit will be interesting. Given how exposed it is, I'm not sure how they are going to ensure that what they make doesn't just blow away before it hits the ground.

Corral Carpark
    Approval from Vicroads to shift the Great Alpine Road about 8 metres away from the top of the Village chair. This will allow for a bus shelter to be built and more room at the Village chair exit. Remove all day car parking at Corral car park and extend Loch car park to cater for lost car spaces. Plans for mixed use buildings on the existing corral car park, and a park in the centre.

Other take aways:
    Of the 110 to 113 days that the resort is open for the ski season, 50% occupancy is normal. That one surprised me.

Airport
    Still no carrier confirmed for regular flights into the airport.

Summer activities:
    Cool Summer festival sold ~700 tickets. It's a great event with a great vibe but with ticket sales that low, I often wonder how it can continue, I really hope it does.
    Other summer activites. Emphasis on walks and making the Falls to Hotham walk one of the iconic walks. While this is great for Hotham if it comes off, it's probably not really going to drive much further accommodation demand in the summer months.

Oh and looks like the Corsa rally is off indefinitely....

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for posting that. Not happy about corral park but it's been gradually happening anyway. Don't know why Hotham hates daytrippers

3. TripleM

TripleM Hard Yards

Thanks for the update Fat Boy Dave. We went last year and were impressed with the bringing together of all stakeholders. Happy with the changes to the Corral carpark as long as the day car park spaces increase elsewhere. I like what they are doing with more flexible ticketing options like 6 day any day but think with scanning gates on most lifts they could have more options like the Hakuba points system. Cool Summer will gain momentum with time and the guys running it are committed to build it up.
    Bummer about the car rally!!!

4. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

How much time do you give it? Cool summer isnt new

5. Cuppa

Cuppa A Local

Thanks for the update.

Cool Summer must have been going for 5+ years now.