Hotham vs Thredbo

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Cat_Herder, May 10, 2018.

1. Cat_Herder

Cat_Herder Hard Yards

Hi all,
    Wondering how you think the two stack up. I know they're both the most challenging in their respective states, and that Thredbo has a much better village etc etc, but wondering what you think directly comparing the two, specifically the terrain and overall skiing enjoyment (I normally ski Perisher and get bored of it if I ski more than two days, if that helps).
    Cheers

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Neither are my mountain. I have only skiied a few days at Thredbo and rather more at Hotham. some of my impressions
    • they both suffer from too many runs funnelling into one, causing overcrowding. Hotham's death slalom gully is particularly bad.
    • Hotham is usually not worth skiing till August when the Orchard area opens and crowds spread out more
    • Hotham has ok beginner terrain and good upper intermediate & advanced terrain. lower intermediate is limited. thredbo has much better choice of intermediate terrain. When I've been at Thredbo, conditions on advanced terrain were not nice, but looks like it could be very good
    • Hotham is more affordable to stay on mountain. Thredbo is much easier to drive to if staying off mountain
    • Thredbo bottom is pretty low and can be very slushy.
    • I really enjoyed the experience of skiing Thredbo, although snow conditions were not great most of the time I've been there.
    • Lift queues at Thredbo were pretty awful, but then the runs are long so you get a lot more skiing time for your wait
    • Hotham can be great, but I also get pissed off with things there - day parking, inadequate buses, death gully. I try to only go there on sunny midweek days in Aug or Sept
    • Some of the best snow at Thredbo is serviced by T-bars. Hotham is almost all chairs.

crackson, LaNeige and Bogong like this.
  3. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Thredbo.

crackson likes this.
  4. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable

Hothbo

benchives likes this.
  5. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Are they?

Are they really?

6. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable

If the snow line is way way down and the snow depth is way way up

Buller
    Hotham
    Thredbo
    Falls
    Perisher
    Selwyn

If the snow line is way way up and the snow depth way way down

Thredbo
    Hotham
    Buller
    Perisher
    Falls
    Buller
    Selwyn

Perhaps

7. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us

I like this discussion because they're my two favourite resorts in Aus.

Hotham for steeps and gullies and slack country, but only when the snow is at least a metre deep.

Thredbo for length and variety and all-terrain skiing and trees and, yes, reliability. I was skiing 600m vertical on 3km+ length runs off Anton's and Basin into Village/Friday flat last July when the official Spencer's depth was only 57cm and skiing across Aus was pretty limited and Hotham had pretty much only beginner terrain and village loop and Imagine open. Sure there were rocks and shrubs but there were proper terrain choices.

Been to Buller twice in good snow and it's great but it still wants to be Thredbo when it grows up.

Thredbo wins access too.

crackson, Kash and Froff Life like this.
  8. phantomas

phantomas Hard Yards

You get bored of Perisher after 2 days?? well I do believe you, but the whole point about Perisher is how extensive it is, and the variety of terrain, and that even on busy days you can find short lift queues. Hotham is great but its sorely going to test your threshold for boredom after just one day. Thredbo is Thredbo, best skiing experience after a big dump midweek, else those choke points really kill the vibe.

9. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

discounting the 3 days a year that the best bits of a Buller are actually skiable and/or good.

10. Pink

Pink Hard Yards

Bullbo Smiggins.

dawooduck likes this.
  11. Pink

Pink Hard Yards

Planet Hoth or Shredbo? Shred them both of course.

12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

i think people who get bored most easily are the ones who rarely leave the groomers

I've been skiing Falls for over 35 years and only get bored when i'm restricted to groomers (and not necessarily then if conditions are good)

Pink likes this.
  13. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Buller for me in a good snow year !!!!!!
    As others have said Thredbo if ordinary ...by a country mile .