How do you count ski resorts?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I am considering getting a Tramscoll for all the resorts YK and I have been to.

This brings up the discussion of what constitutes a separate ski resort.

ie we skied at to mega resorts - i suppose you could call them - in Europe recently

Les Arcs and La Plagne which fall under the banner of Paradiski.

Would you consider these to different resorts or one?

Also St Anton and Lech/Zurs - two resorts?

What about Snowbird and Alta?

Does the same owner mean one resort (ie Hotham and Falls) does having separate lift passes available count as multiple resorts? Vail brings up a whole other issue!

I feel Niseko is one resort (dispute being 4 resorts with individual lift tickets available) and the ones above to be separate. But i don't know why i think that!

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Niseko I'd say is one resort, with 4 areas.... But then Myoko is very similar (one mountain, one lift ticket, 4 areas) and in my mind I see it as 4 different resorts...
Skiing the Arlberg region, which is freaking massive, seems silly to call it just one resort. Each I'd consider as one resort (Zurs, Lech, Warth etc) event though some are lift connected and others aren't.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Maybe think of ski areas rather than ski resorts. Then you could use lift interconnection and/or ability to ski back to the base (on groomers?) as a criterion.

SurlyJoe5000

Early Days
Dec 30, 2016
Depends if you are trying to impress someone :p

I consider St Anton/Lech to be one in the same way I consider Perisher/Smiggs/BC/Guthega to be one

Reactions: gaz35

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Count it however you like.

I've got my own list, it's listed individually. Why? Because my brain is as old as my body and I don't want to forget any!

Doing it for a tram scroll? I dunno.
It's your tram scroll. Go with your gut. What seems right to you. Who cares if others would do it differently.

Edit: actually, just checked my record and I listed Niseko like this:
Niseko United (Hirafu, Hanazono, Annapuri and Higashiyama) - so ONE, but separate. Not sure how that would work on a tram scroll, I've never seen one.

Reactions: Hyst

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Count it however you like.

Yeah - I think I will.

I also thought it was an interesting discussion.

I think this is how/what i am listing!

Perisher Blue
Thredbo
Falls Creek
Hotham
Aspen/Snowmass
Jackson Hole
Grand Targhee
Snowbird/Alta
Mammoth
Kirkwood
Squaw
Niseko
Myoko Kogen
Ikenotaira
Suginohara
Tangram/Madarao
Shiga Kogen
La Plagne
Les Arcs
St Anton
Lech/Zurs

i like the / to define a couple of areas. I am guided by what i heard by the locals and also questions people asked. ie a lot of people ask if we skied at Alta, after just saying snowbird.

Reactions: dawooduck

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yeah - I think I will.

Perisher Blue
Thredbo
Falls Creek
Hotham
Aspen/Snowmass
Jackson Hole
Grand Targhee
Snowbird/Alta
Mammoth
Kirkwood
Squaw
Niseko
Myoko Kogen
Ikenotaira
Suginohara
Tangram/Madarao
Shiga Kogen
La Plagne
Les Arcs
St Anton
Lech/Zurs

i like the / to define a couple of areas. I am guided by what i heard by the locals and also questions people asked. ie a lot of people ask if we skied at Alta, after just saying snowbird.
And honestly...just because you skied at Grand Hirafu doesn't mean you skied at Annapuri! Most do but plenty don't!

After having seen the thing now (thanks for that) I'd say whatever looks pretty!

Reactions: Ozgirl

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Yeah - I think I will.

Perisher Blue
Thredbo
Falls Creek
Hotham
Aspen/Snowmass
Jackson Hole
Grand Targhee
Snowbird/Alta
Mammoth
Kirkwood
Squaw
Niseko
Myoko Kogen
Ikenotaira
Suginohara
Tangram/Madarao
Shiga Kogen
La Plagne
Les Arcs
St Anton
Lech/Zurs

:thumbs:

Reactions: Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
And honestly...just because you skied at Grand Hirafu doesn't mean you skied at Annapuri! Most do but plenty don't!

After having seen the thing now (thanks for that) I'd say whatever looks pretty!

Yeah exactly!

We didn't ski in every resort in the Zurs/Lech region either, but most!

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
When I went to Les Arcs and La Plagne, Paradiski didn't exist.

Niseko is Niseko, Perisher is Perisher, St Anton is not Lech

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
OP is interesting. In my head I regard Espace Killy (Val d'Isere and Tignes) as one resort because it has always been linked when I skied there. Verbier is (I think) 4 linked resorts but it is just Verbier in my mind. On the other hand, Alta and Snowbird are different resorts because, when I first skied each of them, they were separate resorts.

But, when I first skied Perisher, Blue Cow (didn't actually exist), Guthega and Perisher were separate but now I think of them as one resort. Smiggins has always been part of Perisher.

So the answer, for me, seems to be "it depends, but I can't identify on what it depends".

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
To me although smiggins and guthega are part of the same resort they have different vibes to blue cow whos denotes a distinct lack of vibe

despite it being a fun Place to ski there is no blue cow vibe and it gets subsumed by the Perisher quasi vibe

The aggregated Perisher vibe is somewhat now confusing because one has to factor in the vail vibe to maintain a holistic global sentiment

In summary the vibe is what drives life so tune in, turn on and drop out

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
If it makes you feel important or awesome and the number of resorts is more important than time on snow then list them however you want. Depends on who is impressed more by resorts skied or number of days skiied.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
If it makes you feel important or awesome and the number of resorts is more important than time on snow then list them however you want. Depends on who is impressed more by resorts skied or number of days skiied.

If this was about impressing people then I would list every resort i have been too.

But its not - it just a cute way of showing our visitors our adventures. A talking point.

I am not into Art/paintings.

I want to decorate our apartment with stuff that means something to us. Our/my photos and something like this.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I don't think it's about impressing anyone. I can see Oz and YK kicking back in their home in a few years with toddler and baby crawling all over them smiling at each other when their gazes both hit the decorative list of adventures they had together. What a lovely constant reminder of living large and joyfully.

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
To me although smiggins and guthega are part of the same resort they have different vibes to blue cow whos denotes a distinct lack of vibe

despite it being a fun Place to ski there is no blue cow vibe and it gets subsumed by the Perisher quasi vibe

The aggregated Perisher vibe is somewhat now confusing because one has to factor in the vail vibe to maintain a holistic global sentiment

In summary the vibe is what drives life so tune in, turn on and drop out
49 lifts when all are turning and burning. I missed out doing them all in one day last year, maybe this year...

Reactions: SMSkier

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I don't think it's about impressing anyone. I can see Oz and YK kicking back in their home in a few years with toddler and baby crawling all over them smiling at each other when their gazes both hit the decorative list of adventures they had together. What a lovely constant reminder of living large and joyfully.

Thats it exactly!

I think it is even more important knowing this last trip was our last hurrah so to speak!

No way we are doubling that list in the next 2 or so years!

Reactions: sara777

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I am considering getting a Tramscoll for all the resorts YK and I have been to.

This brings up the discussion of what constitutes a separate ski resort.

ie we skied at to mega resorts - i suppose you could call them - in Europe recently

Les Arcs and La Plagne which fall under the banner of Paradiski.

Would you consider these to different resorts or one?

Also St Anton and Lech/Zurs - two resorts?

What about Snowbird and Alta?

Does the same owner mean one resort (ie Hotham and Falls) does having separate lift passes available count as multiple resorts? Vail brings up a whole other issue!

I feel Niseko is one resort (dispute being 4 resorts with individual lift tickets available) and the ones above to be separate. But i don't know why i think that!

Many years ago, I started counting but quickly found that it is impossible to have a definitive count for reasons you have stated. For my lists I tend to look at ski areas rather than ski resorts as a whole. These days many in Europe especially many individual ski areas are later connected and combined under one ski pass. I skied many of those before that happened so keep to that.

Looking at your examples:

I have skied at both Les Arcs & La Plagne many years ago before it was known as Paradiski so have listed them individually. I think it is a better representation anyway. You may say you skied Paradiski but only skied the La Plagne side.

Likewise St Anton and Lech/Zurs I would definitely list separately. They are on opposite sites of the Arlberg in different provinces.

Snowbird and Alta also definitely 2 different ski areas - have they even been linked? Certainly not when I was there.

Hotham / Falls - 2 ski areas - ownership not a factor

I skied Niseko Hirafu & Annupuri areas long before they were linked under Niseko United. In the earlier days Hirafu was run under 2 different lift companies, although much the same terrain so still one area. Skied Higashiyama later and Hanazono didn't even exist in the early 90's. I suppose many people could say they have skied 'Niseko' but in reality only skied Hirafu so not a true reflection.

Skied Guthega on it's own long before it become part of Perisher.

I skied Fieberbrunn a couple of years ago before it was linked to Saalbach-Hinterglemm, but would still count it separately.

These days in Austria especially you can ski multiple areas linked or not linked under a single ski pass (Salzburg, Tirol, Osttirol/Kärnten) but I would still list the individual ski areas. saying you skied 'Ski Amade' for example would be pretty meaningless.

Then it gets more complicated when you go ski touring to a range of different mountains, some of them skirting ski areas and then there is heli-skiing where you ski parts of mountain ranges far bigger than any ski areas so I tend to specify the range or part of range.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Snowbird and Alta also definitely 2 different ski areas - have they even been linked? Certainly not when I was there.

Its a physical gate that you need to scan your pass to get through - there is also a human on watch to stop the riff raff from getting in :whistle:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Its a physical gate that you need to scan your pass to get through - there is also a human on watch to stop the riff raff from getting in :whistle:
Who you callin' riff raff Missy?

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
That's a great idea. Does anyone have any pics of a tram scroll they have done? Something a bit different with different fonts and text and colour?

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Yeah - I think I will.

Perisher Blue
Thredbo
Falls Creek
Hotham
Aspen/Snowmass
Jackson Hole
Grand Targhee
Snowbird/Alta
Mammoth
Kirkwood
Squaw
Niseko
Myoko Kogen
Ikenotaira
Suginohara
Tangram/Madarao
Shiga Kogen
La Plagne
Les Arcs
St Anton
Lech/Zurs

I see snowbird and alta as seperate - I ski, wife snowbaloards. They are definitely seperate!

Lech and st anton are seperate because I can't ski between and back. But I'd say they are both Alberg. Chamonix I count as one resort despite being not connected... just how my brain works!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass