1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed How do you get to your backcountry destination?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ricardo64, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep. If those views don't inspire a dabble into backcountry, nothing would!

2. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Really hard to get to, lottsa issues. Don’t go unless you’re crazy or with a qualified guide & 2 weeks of supplies in the car.

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Jacko4650

I agree. Terrible. Don't go there folks.

5. skifree

Yep, f’n shocking.

6. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This is our sled set up for Hokkaido. Its a Polaris MKG 800. Specific BC sled with long tread and deep Tynes (174cm). You need some oomph to tow and you cant really tow uphill too well despite the higher power. What it works really well for is accessing more remote terrain. We use it to get to some great terrain away from the crowds, that would otherwise take an hour plus just to get to the base. You still have to climb for the good stuff. We started using it last winter and got our full set up working really well this past winter. We found it tows 4 well but you have to watch the overheating. We added Mo Pros kit such as rack, ski holders and small luggage bag. If you get the chance @Endless_Winter you won't regret it. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Thats @telecommuter driving.

7. nfip

nfip Cold n' Rusty Ski Pass: Gold

looks kinda familiar....

8. nfip

I went there once.
    Punishing on the vehicle .
    West facing , so slush or ice.

skifree likes this.
  9. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

something smaller - You should get a kei van! :p
    mine in Japan is fantastic. full time 4wd. its so small and light it never gets stuck. and has enough space to fits skis or mattress in the back.
    I've never seen one in australia tho.

only did 19 days backcountry this season. normally its 30+, been quite slack.
    i suppose i came back 3 months early, and it was hard to be motivated this season because the trees weren't buried yet.

still messing with the idea.
    apparently the trees are so tight, that often you have to sled in then you still have to tour up. kind of defeats the point for me. I want to be super lazy.
    im thinking of doing something like this. a $20k sled on the back of a $1k truck.

10. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Agree - Gotta have avvy beacon training AND an avvy giraffe! Plus ropes training and level 16 1st Aid!

piolet, Any, Fozzie Bear and 2 others like this.
  11. nfip

and HR licence.

Fozzie Bear, skifree and Chaeron like this.
  12. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

For driving through those spring glacier crevasses...

piolet and skifree like this.
  13. skifree

It was very remiss of me not to mention the requirement for an avy giraffe, but I didn’t want to scare folks off.

Annabuzzy and Chaeron like this.
  14. nfip

yep .
    I've never been so terrified.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  15. Jacko4650

I know plenty of people who would buy small trucks like that. You just can't see to buy anything like it in Australia.

climberman, Chaeron and skifree like this.
  16. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

A whole hour?!

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  17. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

not so practical in Australia with such large distances.
    my old kei truck (ute) 's top speed was 75-80kph, downhill, with a strong wind at my back.
    my kei van does 80kph quite comfortably, but at 100 its revving quite high and the ride isn't so nice.
    also not to mention the potholes in australian roads are so large the whole tiny wheel would fall inside it. roads would be extra rough in comparison.

18. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You gotta get back too. Try double that for the day, depending on the location, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

19. Jacko4650

Off topic I know but I wouldn't want to drive it any further than up the road to Bunnings or Tradelink; predominantly around the property. Cleaners could use it in the morning, maintenance in the arvo. Not concerned with how fast it goes. We current have a 2 tonne tip truck that maxes out at about 85klm but because it's a truck, it costs over $1200 a year just for rego. We barely ever take it on to public roads. We also have electric golf buggies that can't go on the road - hence a little truck would fill the void for our businesses and many others like us.

Chaeron, skifree and Any like this.
  20. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Jacko, we'll just have to call you "dory" :thumbs:but it was nice you remembered you were off topic:D

Jacko4650 likes this.
  21. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Resort = any Subie .
    Serious back country ,eg the Bluff , Bogong = proper 4WD like Navara , Hilux + chains.

22. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I still see plenty of Subarus parked at Camp Creek Gap and Mulhauser. Often they are there for a while as the owner gets a lift out with someone else. Getting there may be easier than getting out. Early models had issues with head gaskets and there is still a bit of conjecture about excessive oil consumption on some later versions. Plenty to google on that to make an informed decision. My outlaws have one that was supposed to have had the oil consumption problem fixed. They always carry oil. Subaru say a litre every 1000km is normal. I am not knocking Subs. I do like their comfort, styling and appointments. Would prefer an auto for this sort of vehicle but not a fan of CVT for the type of driving it would mostly do. I also don't see a Subaru getting me to my BC starts but it could get you 70% of the way. Not a bad compromise if you can only have one car. Know the vehicle's limitations and don't exceed it.

Endless_Winter likes this.
  23. Ricardo64

Unfortunattely, Hilux or any of these strecthed cab hybrid want to be utes are a little out of my price bracket. I am trying to down size to something that is equally capable of reaching these trail heads as my current POS is too unreliable to make the trips.

24. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve taken a RWD C200 Mercedes Sedan in to Camp Creek. Was full spring and a very stable forecast.

Lots of commentary about it from the pelicans at Michell.

25. Spence

Spence One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I’ve never had a problem with oil levels on either of my Outback’s. I do get them serviced every 6,000km with oil change. I always check the level before a long drive and haven’t ever noticed anything untoward.

26. Ricardo64

I really do like the old Lada Niva, pity they are hard to find and parts are a bit like rocking horse Sh*t to find. They were a bit like a minature FJ40 on steroids, because they were light enough they went almost any where

27. skifree

Look at nuu Suzuki Jimney then, a reliable Lada Niva with ancillaries that work & spare parts available. Well available ex some warehouse in Asia somewhere.

Sage Oya and CarveMan like this.
  28. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah my foz never drank oil
    Reliable as hell and good road manners compared to a 4wd, there’s a compromise somewhere that’ll work for you

29. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

In the 90s I only had an old Subie wagon to get there , have dug out puddles to drain them and used chains in mud.
    we now have a Forester which uses plenty of oil but would drive an old Navara which is very capable and cheap.

30. Ricardo64

I used to have a Suzuki Sierra JXQX, pretty much the same thing, AT tyres, roll cage because top heavy, full harness because it was so so bumpy the only way was to glue yourself to the seat.

Man, it would go anywhere, drove it to North QLD and back from Melb.( I don't know what possessed me to do it). Did many camping trips. scared myself a few times when I rolled it on its side, because it was so light you'd get out and just right it again and off you would go.

I am no longer in my 20's but sometimes I do feel it, Idon't mind some creature comforts.

Sage Oya, coolair, Spence and 3 others like this.
  31. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

This particular car park is nice too!

32. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@Ricardo64 don't write off everything from the Volks Auto Gruppe (VAG, e.g. Audi, VW, Skoda and to a lesser degree others) just yet...

You just have to make sure you get something made in Chermany! Your Touareg is made in Slovakia (problem #1)... For the same reason forget Mercedes ML, BMW X5 etc

Second, if you're going to go for high-mileage used, be prepared to work on it yourself to make the saving worth it.

FWIW I bought a 2000 Audi A4 B5 for $500 (turbo, manual, AWD, 250k km) intending to use for this season - not sure how much I'll get to use it as yet. Was running on 3 cyl but $66 of parts fixed that. Some tyres and a windscreen got it roadworthy. The VAG 1.8T engines are pretty solid, although forget the B6, they are a POS.

Might do a write up on the 'blow on about cars' thread about it

33. fenrir

fenrir One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Used to have a little impreza now I have a little xtrail. Mechanically not as capable as the impreza but with relatively huge ground clearance, enormous boot, hill descent mode and a good enough on demand awd (which can lock to full time below 40 km/hr) it does the job.
    Also there are shit loads of them out there making it cheap with heaps of spares so I won't cry if I do something dumb to it.

coolair and Annabuzzy like this.
  34. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I have had a few Subaru over the years, all got fairly punished but went wherever I wanted them too towing a bike trailer with MX bikes and camping gear in the summer and into mostly NSW BC access points and to resorts in any weather, none of them where Outbacks. Used a little oil but stuck to the road very well. 99% of getting there is tarmac cruising.

Now have two Isuzu Dmax which go anywhere very well. Wife's is top spec and comfy and mine is does the hauling. Good snow oriented tyres make all the difference.

Would absolutely love a sled and had some excellent fun on them in BC and CO.

Jacko4650, nfip, Sage Oya and 4 others like this.
  35. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I had a Sierra, then a Vitara, flogged the crap out of both of them, the Vitara is still going, I gave it to my mum, 93, not a single problem (aside from smashing bits off here and there, had that sucker on one wheel once! Jumped it a few times too). They are excellent 4WD's IMO, though the lightness which is great in some spots, nearly undid me in a river crossing once. I got an indestructible Hilux after that, they are great cars, though IMO the Vitara is a better 4WD. When you lose it in a Hilux, it takes eternity to get it back, with the Suzi a passenger wouldn't even know you had lost it, it was so quick.

Now I have the Transporter, works well as a poor mans 4WD.

36. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My Vitara finally died for the last time (whilst evacuating from a fire earlier this year, bad timing) and we got this sweet baby back in Feb. Subaru XV 2019. Haven't had a chance to take it on a long drive yet, but I'm looking forward to it! It has some hill traction mode that moderates acceleration/braking which will be interesting to try out.

Bonus is I can actually reach the roof on this thing - in the tara I had to stand in the boot just to reach the roof racks! Oh and cruise control is a nice addition LOL

37. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I love it how they make out like buying a new car is something worth celebrating. Its like - congratulations, you're about to lose $20,000 in the next 5 minutes when you drive this thing off the lot!

38. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I agree but one has got to enjoy the new car smell at least once in their life...

Spence, dawooduck and piolet like this.
  39. Interruptedbyfireworks

True, but I buy into the hype haha I thought it was pretty exciting. I just don’t have the risk tolerance for a 2nd hand vehicle anymore, all the ones around here were hail damage write-offs at the time

40. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

ive done it for someone's car. they paid the $20k, i got the smell :)

41. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

you keep talking in euphemisms!

42. fenrir

fenrir One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

As the former owner of a Black Impreza be prepared to draw some admiring looks from law enforcement. They may follow you for some distance to fully appreciate the magnificence of your vehicle.

Jacko4650, nfip, Spence and 1 other person like this.
  43. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think the classic Cobalt Subaru Blue was the real Impreza colour - combine with a loud elephant bum exhaust & the right driver - those babies (late 90s) got noticed.

The hatch/wagon was easy on the eye too and more practical - never test drove but a lady colleague had one!

I say enjoy the moment - many people only ever buy one car new (or low K demo). Make it last!!

nfip, Spence, coolair and 2 others like this.
  44. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

First owner of my car lost $1 per km in 10 months.

dawooduck, piolet, mr and 1 other person like this.
  45. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

‘Oil’?

46. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Depreciation.

47. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I went from a Forester to a MUX.
    On slippery roads the Foz was way superior as far as grip was concerned. That's about the ratio of tyre contact area and weight/centre of gravity.
    Going 'offroad' is a whole other ballgame. The Foz can be lifted and regeared, have muddies and a winch added, but your skills will need to be lifted to match and spending time on recovery when you want to be skiing sucks.

48. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

I managed for years with a bomb of a Commodore. Bogong was the tough one, as I've had to walk in from Mountain Creek more than a few times...but it's still better than the Staircase. Feathertop is demanding however you get there. And yeah, driving up Hotham last year I dodgem car-ed into a snow bank and barrier, even with chains.

New ride should cope a bit better - FJ Crusier :thumbs:

CarveMan and piolet like this.
  49. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The single best thing you can do is also the cheapest and that's an advanced driving course.
    Learn how to drive slippery surfaces and how to recover from a slide.
    For 4WDs that's called a proficiency or basic course but more is needed such as a snow or sand driving course.

50. Interruptedbyfireworks

I’ve done a defensive driving course back in Qld, the instructor would lock up my hand break or turn my steering wheel abruptly and I had to recover in the gravel. Was so fun!! Plus I’m pretty sure it saved me a few years later.

Do they do snow type ones?