Newcastle
1jwUD+

Reactions: cin

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
It has a fair catchment feeding it, so no great surprise. I am figuring there is a fair bit of stock being moved currently

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
I live here. The Hume Dam is a constant source of fascination to me. Today I drove past and the output was tiny, just one little gate open with a small outflow. However the Murray is in full flow. Why? The Kiewa River flows into the Murray just downstream of the dam, and at present it's in moderate flood, as are the Ovens and King Rivers further west. All this needs to be managed so downstream land and towns are not flooded out. In winter when there is plenty of rainfall the output is small, and input is increased by Dartmouth dam and also the Mitta Mitta and Murray River flows upstream, so the Hume dam fills. Also don't forget last year the Dam bottomed out at about 19% of capacity, so doubling it is not a massive feat at this present time.

Reactions: cin and currawong

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
The graph is now near vertical and capacity is closing in on 60 % fast
Do you think it might spill this winter ?

Reactions: dawooduck

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
They let it drop down to around 20% each summer.

Has filled quickly this winter. Went up about 5-7% per week this month.
Some summers, I have been there a couple of years in recent times where it has been near full, not the last few mind you

Kelpieboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2015
Tooma , NSW
63% as at 1:30pm today :)
100% water allocation here we come!
I rarely have anything other than 100% water allocation but then again I am on a different grid. Good news though for those blokes down that way , water has been a bit of an issue for the last few years.:D

NewTurns

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 30, 2013
Sydney
Is the Hume dam wall still a bit suspect? Years ago I recall concerns it could fail...anyone know about this? I am sure they let a lot out to create a safety margin at one point...

Last edited:

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Is the Hume dam wall still a bit suspect? Years ago know I recall concerns it could fail...anyone know about this? I am sure they let a lot out at one point to create a safety margin at one point...

From what I recall the dam wall moved a touch - they check these kind of things regularly. Water was released, investigations were done and it was concluded to be safe. These guys are very risk averse so the chances of Hume failing are extremely low.

Reactions: NewTurns

Conners

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 27, 2013
South Coast SA
I rarely have anything other than 100% water allocation but then again I am on a different grid. Good news though for those blokes down that way , water has been a bit of an issue for the last few years.:D
All our places are below the choke :oops:, best place though for what we do ;)

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
From what I recall the dam wall moved a touch - they check these kind of things regularly. Water was released, investigations were done and it was concluded to be safe. These guys are very risk averse so the chances of Hume failing are extremely low.
They've just completed a major stabilisation project which included building a large buttress on the southern wall, and this will allow an increased capacity as well. So I guess we can sleep at night!

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
There have been minor flood warnings out for the Upper Murray for the last week or so. There would be a lot of water coming into that arm of the lake.

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
There have been minor flood warnings out for the Upper Murray for the last week or so. There would be a lot of water coming into that arm of the lake.
Yep. It's gone from 38% in June to 61% in July, which is massive. And we haven't had snow melt yet. If the rain continues we might get up to capacity by November or so. Will be interesting. When we first moved here in 2013 the dam spilled if I remember correctly.

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
Vic Labor Govt has ordered water from the desal which gets pumped into the fast filling Cardinia, Storages below Cardinia storages are already in the 80% full range and rising not allowing the emptying of Cardinia to make room for the very expensive desal water that has already been ordered and we are paying for.
What happens if the system is full when the pipe is to be turned on ?
Salt water > Fresh water > Cardinia > through the system > back into the bay ? at huge $
I think the backup is to fill the storages west of Melb ? ?
Could be some very red faces in the Labor Govt if it keeps raining, at the same time I bet there are some busy meetings between the Govt and Melb water behind the scenes to make sure this very bad look does not happen

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Vic Labor Govt has ordered water from the desal which gets pumped into the fast filling Cardinia, Storages below Cardinia storages are already in the 80% full range and rising not allowing the emptying of Cardinia to make room for the very expensive desal water that has already been ordered and we are paying for.
Salt water > Fresh water > Cardinia > through the system > back into the bay ? at huge $
Could be some very red faces in the Labor Govt if it keeps raining, at the same time I bet there are some busy meetings between the Govt and Melb water behind the scenes to make sure this very bad look does not happen
Take it to the Bear pit if you wish to discuss this further. Politics is not for this forum.

Armitage_Shanks

Hard Yards
Jul 11, 2016
**ahem**
Here's fun - have a look at the graphs for Hume Dam for 2010. The last big La Nina year that broke the Millennium Drought.
More or less bone dry in May to 100% full in October.

Reactions: spottedreptile

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
You will find they designed Hume to fill from near empty to capacity in an average winter the problem is rainfall these days is typically never average either none or lots. If you go back and look at the recorders you can see in the wet years after its been drained it has filled. I recon we should get pretty close to full supply level by the start of October which is normally the start of the irrigation season.

they normally let a lot more than 20% of the water out each year! This year it went from approx. mid 50% down to high 10%'s so that's nearly 40%!

Dartmouth is currently letting minimal water out so they are trying to keep as much water up stream as possible.

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
It takes a full month for water to travel from Lake Hume to the sea in South Oz. So there is that, as well as managing flows through places like the Barmah Choke. It's an amazing river.

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
71 % could well be full before the end of the month
We need some more significant falls for that to happen. At the moment we have a week of sunshine and dry air. But if one or two systems like we've had recently show up then yes it will probably fill by September. At the moment they won't pass flows downstream because of the high levels of the Kiewa and Ovens rivers and because there is still plenty of airspace in both Hume and Dartmouth, but if it looks like the dam will fill, then they will have no choice but to pass any more infills downstream despite the consequences of flooding.
People have got rather complacent about flooding since the dam got built, but it's still a real danger in a wet season.

Davo63

Hard Yards
Aug 5, 2016
Cardinia has no meaningful catchment and like Silvan is considered 'off stream'. They are basically like big tanks. When cardinia fills it's because it's being pumped to. Ultimately for water to spill and be 'wasted' both Upper Yarra and Thomson would probably need to fill, and they are miles off.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Cardinia has no meaningful catchment and like Silvan is considered 'off stream'. They are basically like big tanks. When cardinia fills it's because it's being pumped to. Ultimately for water to spill and be 'wasted' both Upper Yarra and Thomson would probably need to fill, and they are miles off.

Thomson would need a good couple of years above average to get close to filling wouldn't it?

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Thomson would need a good couple of years above average to get close to filling wouldn't it?
A couple of decent ECL's with decent penetration would help. Much of the rain we've received since autumn has been via NW systems, hence why NE Vic has seen so much rain. Baw Baw, and the Thompson catchment havent been getting anything like the totals that the higher country to the north has been receiving.
No wonder Hume is filling quickly, while Eildon and Dartmouth are now over half full.
latest.vc.gif

Reactions: Majikthise
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass