How fast does the huge Hume reservoir fill

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Just trying to balance the inflow by the look of it. It's not like they have much choice other than to let water out at the rate its coming in.

Hermon

One of Us
Aug 24, 2008
Well Echuca is going to be slightly stuffed in the coming weeks. Eppalock is now overflowing too, so fun times ahead!

I suppose I have to ask the question - should they have stopped flows out of Dartmouth Dam for Hydro power over the past few months?

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Well Echuca is going to be slightly stuffed in the coming weeks. Eppalock is now overflowing too, so fun times ahead!

I suppose I have to ask the question - should they have stopped flows out of Dartmouth Dam for Hydro power over the past few months?

How large have the releases been?

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
How large have the releases been?

Whatever the lake decides them to be:

766803-lake-eppalock.jpg

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
There's been bugger-all coming out of Dartmouth this season. A few flows above minimum, but a drop in the bucket compared with the capacity of Lake Hume. There are hundreds of creeks and gullies running off at the moment into the lake, plus the Upper Murray is at minor flood level, so there's just a whole lot of water in the catchment and nowhere for it to go but Mildura.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Tim Flannery ....Melb, Syd etc will be dry by 2012 or whatever crap he was spewing out at the time. He was a member of the "Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists". Haven't heard from them in quite a while so I guess they aren't that concerned anymore. They had a substantial influence in the debate at the time...pushing public policy and expenditure to some unfortunate extremes. ...overly large desal plants being one example.

We will see another drought when the talk will change to how little water is in the system again.

Same as it ever was.

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Well it looks like excessive mods are at work again, deleting my earlier post with the suggestion that it was due to:

Your post in the thread How fast does the huge Hume reservoir fill was deleted. Reason: No climate discussion here.
1:42 PM

Don't think there is a mention of climate change in that post, merely a comment re some claims on dryness and where some input can push public policy to excess (ie: over the top response or cost, like the mods).

Just for the record, yes I think the climate is changing, the earth is warming (see UC Berkeley results), as to how much is anthropogenic I don't know but I think we should be doing our level best not to pour crap into the environment, and how we approach that should be informed by rational, thoughtful policy. So a desal plant is fine as a backup, just size it right, etc.....though I've always thought Tim was a little over the top and into self-aggrandizement. What is disappointing is that the Wentworth Group have been so quiet for so long....may not agree with all they have to say but at least they could have the courage of their convictions and push the argument along a bit!

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
A little history: this was the historic flood of September 1953, before the lake level was raised. You can see there are no lift gates, just the weir. The coffer dam in the foreground (breached) is to contain water during works on the hydro station. But it got a bit wet:

Historic floods 23 Sep 1953.jpg

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
Lots of water on the flood plain. When it warms up it might be a bad fly and mozzie year.

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
The gates might stay open for a while longer. Minor flood warning issued for the Mitta and a moderate flood warning issued for the Upper Murray.

It will be wet downstream with moderate flood warnings for Kiewa, Ovens and King rivers.

sauron_017

Hard Yards
Aug 4, 2007
From the Dart i meant. Waterinfo says 200ML/day for the last week, which isn't much in 70,000ML/day.

My understanding is that they (MDBA) manage Dartmouth in a similar fashion to the way Melbourne Water manage the Thomson: It's their insurance policy for dry years. They would be most likely holding as much water back behind Dartmouth at the moment, since there is still a good amount of capacity to fill into and only releasing the minimum down the Mitta Mitta. Any water they send down the Mitta Mitta is only going to end up washed down the Murray.

Great to see the big lakes filling though. Will get our farmers through the next couple of drier years when they happen.

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
My understanding is that they (MDBA) manage Dartmouth in a similar fashion to the way Melbourne Water manage the Thomson: It's their insurance policy for dry years. They would be most likely holding as much water back behind Dartmouth at the moment, since there is still a good amount of capacity to fill into and only releasing the minimum down the Mitta Mitta. Any water they send down the Mitta Mitta is only going to end up washed down the Murray.

Great to see the big lakes filling though. Will get our farmers through the next couple of drier years when they happen.
It's the largest reservoir in the entire system, but it's slow to fill and slow to release. It'd also be in an area of low evaporation, relative to other reservoirs in the system (compare with Hume, for example).
Hold back as much water now, as it's not required in the Murray at the moment (and with all of the streams downstream of Hume being at least at minor flood level, any more water in the system isn't gonna help.

Reactions: spottedreptile

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Echuca is going to have a problem IMO
I got a look at the Goulburn on Sunday. It had fallen a fair bit from earlier in the week, but she was looking particularly brown and still running very high (even higher than they run it during peak irrigation season in mid-summer.

I see Eppalock is now at full supply level as well.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
I got a look at the Goulburn on Sunday. It had fallen a fair bit from earlier in the week, but she was looking particularly brown and still running very high (even higher than they run it during peak irrigation season in mid-summer.

I see Eppalock is now at full supply level as well.
Eppalock is overflowing.
Loddon is at moderate flood levels

IDV67207.588000.png

+ what's coming down the Murray, it all spells flood levels at Echuca

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
!00,000 ML is cumbersome even if it sounds more impressive. Switch to gigalitres and it's 100 GL per day which is almost 1200 cumecs - 1200 tonnes per second. That's a lot of hydropower going to waste but nothing can be done about that..... W

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
!00,000 ML is cumbersome even if it sounds more impressive. Switch to gigalitres and it's 100 GL per day which is almost 1200 cumecs - 1200 tonnes per second. That's a lot of hydropower going to waste but nothing can be done about that..... W
100 GL is around 3.3% of the total capacity of the reservoir being discharged in one day.
A helluva lot of water going down the river.

Hermon

One of Us
Aug 24, 2008
100 GL is around 3.3% of the total capacity of the reservoir being discharged in one day.
A helluva lot of water going down the river.

Apparently it can discharge up to 600 GL/day. I wouldn't want to be downstream if that ever happens....

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
BOM forecast issued Tuesday Oct 4 @ 10:05

Predicted River Heights/Flows:
Albury

- remain around the current level (5.28 metres) during Tuesday [04/10/16] into Wednesday [05/10/16] with moderate flooding

Corowa

- reach around 7.7 metres on Wednesday [05/10/16] with moderate flooding

Yarrawonga

- reach 7.3 metres around Wednesday [05/10/16] with moderate flooding

Tocumwal

- reach near 7.0 metres around Thursday [06/10/16] or Friday [07/10/16] with moderate flooding

Barham

- remain near the current level (5.94 metres) during Tuesday [04/10/16] with moderate flooding

Deniliquin

- fall slowly below the current level (6.84 metres) during Tuesday [04/10/16] with minor flooding

- renewed rises to 7.5 metres around 14/10/16 with moderate flooding.

Stevens Weir

- fall slowly below the current level (6.31 metres) during Tuesday [04/10/16] with moderate flooding

Moulamein

- reach 5.0 metres around 09/10/16 with minor flooding

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Whoops, forgot to subtract hydro PS flow of 17.6 GL. That leaves 82.4 GL over the spillway so we are looking at 200 cumecs less than before. Still impressive at 1000 tonnes per sec..... W

spottedreptile

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2016
I stuffed up @spottedreptile . Was looking at the Doctors Point reading early this morning and assumed they must have increased the release. But the more appropriate station is Heywoods. Doctors Points includes Kiewa inflows as well.

So it only increased slightly.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has senior moments :):)

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
Lake Hume had almost 40% of its capacity come into the lake during September. That's a lot of water that needs to go somewhere.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Just noticing the rise of the water at Eildon. It should tick over 70% full tomorrow or the following day.
According to GMW, they're only releasing 180mL day from the dam, and the river is receiving plenty of water from below the dam.
The lake has received almost 164,000 ML over the last week. Could easily be over 80% full by the end of the month if we get another fall or two of >15-25mm.

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
Cafe was okay the other day. Lots of water around it. Water has come up another 20cms since Monday so unsure now.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Lower Kiewa expected to Peak this evening is Road to Tallangatta still trafficable thro there as areas around Kiewa River (Bandiana) tend to flood and on around Lake Hume...anybody know how other way out to Eskdale via Kiewa Township is holding up...?

Reactions: glengary
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass