1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

How long do your snowboard boots last?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by white_beanie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. white_beanie

white_beanie Part of the Furniture

I recently went to Whistler with my 2005 gear, which has seen about 30 days of riding. I already needed new boots!

So I bought a pair - partly because I think my old pair were maybe half a size too big and I didn;t know any better when I bought them.

Also the girl in the shop thought the boot material could degrade over time regardless of them not being used - I've ridden my 30 or so days over 3 Aussie seasons.

What so you guys think? Did my boots cark it sooner than they should have?

2. Bato

Bato One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My boots were stuffed after about that long. I worked in them a bit though. If you do a lot of walking in them they will fall to bits quick.

3. cleeshoy

cleeshoy One of Us

There is no hard and fast rule - I think it comes down to personal preference. I tend to change my boots for 2 reasons:
    1. When they are no longer comfortable
    2. when they are so flexible, I could use them as my dancing shoes :)

I had a pair of boots that lasted around 100 days. I prolly would have kept them longer other then the fact they were ripped to shreds. At the other extreme I have had boots lasting less then 20 days, due to discomfort, packing out more then I thought, my own stupidity, etc

4. white_beanie

Yeah my boots were pretty soft, and I have walked in them a fair bit.

Happy to know that 30 days isn't all that terrible. Thanks guys

5. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

Mine generally last 100 days. Skating with el-cheapo bindings is the worst idea ever, never do it. It rips em to shreds.

6. white_beanie

A-ha. Bindings might be part of my problem...

7. Toddo

Toddo First Runs

i had a pair of forum team boots that i got over 120 days out of untill they were too packed out. then i had a pair of deeluxe boots that the inner lace busted after 10 days but i rode with them for another 40 days on top of that. then got another pair of deeluxes with speed zone laces and the speedzone crapped out after about 5 days. i am still riding tem though, just have to tie the lace instead of rely on the clamps. they are up to about 25 days now and the material on the front of the boot that holds the laces is starting to tear... so i don't think i'kk be getting another pair of deeluxes. shame because they have both fit my feet pretty well.

8. Flagpole

Flagpole First Runs

My last pair lasted 13 days riding over 2 seasons in Oz before falling apart. The current one so far has done 6 days last year and I have a trip coming up which should test them some more.

The biggest issue with boots as far as I see is that you sacrifice weight for durability as lighter boots seems to be mostly glued together with bonding resin. Since essentially it is just a soft shell then any pressure seems to slowly force the bonds apart.

Btw 30 days from what I've hear is about as good as it gets for many mid/low-range boots. Most people I spoke to rarely found that boots would last more than one full season of riding.

9. cleeshoy

cleeshoy One of Us

I am a big believer in "you get what you pay for" - so if you buy cheap boots, don't expect them to last. The boots that last me around 100 days were some high end boots......as for now the one thing I will*never* skimp on is snowboard boots - am happy to pay full retail for them and get them fitted just right.

10. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

My last pair of boots (before I ditched the board and took up tele) had done about 150 days and were still good.

Over time cordura based products will die. You can keep the leather ones good for ages through using dubbin.

11. Toddo

Toddo First Runs

i'm not my ones that lasted 120 days were US$50 forums. the ones that crapped out quickly were over $500 each pair.

#11 Toddo, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  12. white_beanie

The thing is, my boots were mid-top of the Burton range at the time. Burton Sable 05 @ something like $500-550.............

13. cleeshoy

cleeshoy One of Us

Exception to the rule....

#13 cleeshoy, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013