1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

How much more snow req Mt Buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by rob02, Jun 24, 2007.

1. rob02

rob02 First Runs

How much more snow is needed before the northern slopes open ?
    I,m planning to go from Perth and leaving the accom booking until the whole place opens.

2. Planks & Sticks

Planks & Sticks One of Us

Depends on which part of the Northern Slopes you want it to be opened. Burnt Hut doesn't look like that it is far from opening and Northside Lift is the same. Grimus Lift might need one or two dumps to get it opening. Bottom of Tirol however is still way off.

#2 Planks & Sticks, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  3. rob02

rob02 First Runs

Thanks for reply!
    I'm planning 5 days in mid July and after last years effort I'm a little paranoid considering the expense.
    What do the reckon it will be like then?
    What is a good dump ? 5cm ? 10 cm?

4. Planks & Sticks

Planks & Sticks One of Us

A "dump" on Buller tend to be between 15cm to 30cm of fresh snow. Burnt Hut is not that far away because it also has snow making on it, same for Northside lift. Grimus however, doesn't have snowmaking, so it would need something like 30cm to be open in normal conditions. When Mt Buller's average base if 1m, then you know that most of the resort should be open.

PS: Northside lift is the new red lift, I refuse to call it by its advertising name (It is an airline). [​IMG]

#4 Planks & Sticks, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. tcross

tcross One of Us

^ 2 years old and i've never ridden the northside, even spent about 60 days there over the last 2 and not once did i get on it, wrong area, it should be top to bottom

6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

20-30 more centimetres should open the bulk of the mountain, with the more rocky areas requiring another 50 or so.

As P & S said, when the Family Run gauge reads 1m+ then most of the good skiing on the mountain will be open.