How much more snow to open Blue Ribbon?

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
I haven't been on the hill this year, but from experience you need about 1.3 metres on the official snow depth to open it.

However, a lot depends on the snowline. The rain events over the past week may mean that there is almost zero snow approaching the loading station.

Looking into the synoptic crystal ball for the next few weeks, I'd say the chances of it opening by the end of the month are very slim.

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Pretty much dependent on the snowline - the bottom of Blue Ribbon is pretty much the lowest lifted point on the mountain, so it needs to snow a lot down to that level (can't remember the actually level - is it around 1550m or thereabouts?)

But when Blue Ribbon is open, Hotham's going great!!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Looks like good snow falling on Village cam.
Lets hope.

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Well this morning the BOM said it will snow down to 900m - so let's hope we get enough out of this system to open BR.

I'll be there this weekend to assess it first hand if it is open
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
beer.gif

DHS

Hard Yards
Jun 9, 2010
South West Vic.
Will not even get close to opening it off this system. My guess is first week of August after that system drops 50cm+ down to about 1300m

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Upper section is no problem - I've been skiing the upper part of Hogg's Back, Varsity Drag and Noticeboard (well, there is no lower section of Noticeboard) the snow cover on these runs are fine, and I'd imagine the same for upper Blue Ribbon.

Sections of the Davenport access trail were wearing thin, and one section last saturday was unskiable (the bit just before it rejoins the bottom of the Village Chair). I had to take off my skis to walk through that bit. But with the snow fall last Sunday, that bit should be covered again.

I can't vouch for the sections of the Davenport access before the Hogg's Back/Varsity Drag bits as I didn't ski it. But I imagine with the latest snow falls they would be right.

Camelot

One of Us
Sep 7, 2010
Mt Hotham
Apparently Davenport is still a nightmare, and the creek running through it is a bit of an issue
smile.gif

Yardsale

Part of the Furniture
May 22, 2001
Melbourne
Slushii said:
(well, there is no lower section of Noticeboard)

Someone tried to make a lower section right in front of me last year. Coming down Davenport and ZOOOM down the run, splat on the trail, and slide and across into the trees.

Cuppa

A Local
Aug 8, 2000
I still think that if the lower part of Davenport was covered with a few snow guns then Hoggs Back could be used as an alternative to the Village Loop. It would take some pressure off Slalom Gully in low snow times.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Some aspects of the Davenport access trail almost face due North which is a problem. Blue Ribbon itself is rather northerly facing..which combined with its low altitude means its slowly turning into a relic of days gone by.

Slushii

Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
Cuppa said:
I still think that if the lower part of Davenport was covered with a few snow guns then Hoggs Back could be used as an alternative to the Village Loop. It would take some pressure off Slalom Gully in low snow times.
Agree with that ^^^

Lettsy

First Runs
May 25, 2010
Brisvegas
Just spoke to the central management, the reply to How much more snow is needed to open blue ribbon was: "more - around 50cm more at the bottom right now would be nice - that lower part hasn't got much snow! could have it by end of weekend though?!"

nisstrust

One of Us
May 21, 2008
When was the last time Blue Ribbon and the Davenport access trail were both open?

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Yeah I skied it in August 2010, pretty sure it wasn't open last year.

Same old beaten drum but without summer grooming to remove some of the rocks and larger shrubs at the bottom it'll always struggle.

Hothski

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne Victoria
Blue Ribbon was open in July last year! Middle weekend of the Vic School Hols. I had one of my best weekends at Hotham - whole mountain was open! In fact, due to wind hold on the sunday, it was one of only two lifts running. I know because I waited forever at the bottom because everyone was there!

It did shut pretty early in the season though......

Rocks aren't as big an issue on the bottom half. Shrubs are massive though. I walked through there this summer and was surprised by how tall the shrubs were.

rangerider

A Local
Jun 14, 2008
It's usually pretty bad down there unless there is very good cover with cold temps. BR, generally speaking doesn't stay good for long.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
hongomania said:
guerilla nighttime grooming mission?

Mother Nature has had a go on the other side of Swindlers Creek, taking out a lift loading station, as I recall. Landslip due to rain.

Maybe the BR side could get really wet.
biggrin.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
PG said:
Looking into the synoptic crystal ball for the next few weeks, I'd say the chances of it opening by the end of the month are very slim.

I reckon its a good chance it will open this weekend.

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Skied Devenport access trail last 4 days, but only yesterday w/out killing any rocks. It is well covered now, and they have actually pushed manmade up from the bottom for about 50m. Blue Ribs is still a sorry state tho - i would say another 50cm from yesterday. There's a lot of bassalt morraine, which as well as being tricky to fill naturally, retains heat. Plus the possums...

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
facethefront said:
Opening this arvo according to FB.

Varsity Drag dreaming.

bdenny4

One of Us
Jun 28, 2008
Bayside Melb
I'll be out there early tomorrow morning.
Rest day today wandering around DP enjoying walking in the fresh soft snow.

Awesome sight - has not stopped snowing here all day.

Rover

One of Us
Jun 20, 2003
Front Seat, left hand side
Blue ribbs was awesome....the upper part for most of the week, but then on friday it was just magic....
the bottom was great but not much base...they really need to run a groomer up there to pack it down a bit...
smashed a boot buckcle on something down there!!

Slim

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008
Any update on how the lower half of blue rib is holding up? did they get it groomed? Hoping it can withstand the hairdryer tomorrow, then a bit (hopefuly only that) of pre-frontal on thurs.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Reckon it should be fine Slim. They'll move heaven and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">earth</span>snow to keep it open for as long as possible now that it is open. Should be good to go on Saturday, complete with the crowds to track it out real quick!
I'm thinking Hotham on Saturday and over to Falls on Sunday. I'm just praying Gotcha is open on Saturday, I've got unfinished business with Lindsay's.

Slim

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008
looks to me like worst of the wind thurs/fri. Hoping to tuck into a few freshies (fingers crossed) BR and village area fri, then lap the other side as many times as poss early sat...sunday could be the ducks guts if Verm's forecast holds...you sure you want falls?
wink.gif

Slim

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008
if gotcha on hold sat you keen for a wander up lochs/greenline?? will have 1 other (maybe 2) At least we'd have the wind at our back ha

PS, no matter if gotcha open or not for lindsays
wink.gif

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
I could be convinced Slim, PM me the details. Not sure if I'm riding solo or with others yet.
Sunday is more about proximity to my ride home to Melbourne. I'm getting the Vline from Wodonga and need to be at the station at about 5:15. I'd have to cut and run from Hotham at 2:30-3pm to do that.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
In many ways Blue Ribbon gives you better skiing per lift ride then Heavenly.

And there are never any queues so you can do loads of laps.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Slim said:
PS, no matter if gotcha open or not for lindsays
wink.gif
You can easily ski gotcha ridge/face as well without the gotcha chair. It's only really Mary's and beyond that requires a bit of walking.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
PG said:
In many ways Blue Ribbon gives you better skiing per lift ride then Heavenly.

And there are never any queues so you can do loads of laps.

I'm tipping there will be on Saturday is everything else is on hold.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass