How much snow depth to ski a road?

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hey Folks - So pretty much as per the topic title - how much snow do you reckon you need to ski a road?

Reason I am asking is I have been following the snowfalls down in Tassie on Mt Wellington. They seem to have had a few decent falls this season which has had me thinking how much snow would it take to ski the road.

I am not sure what the road clearing schedule is (anyone know?) but I am thinking if you were motivated enough you could hike the summit after a fall and ski some of the road back down. I know a lot of factors (like the amount of moisture content of the snow etc.) come into play but I was thinking if you didn't care about your bases a couple of cm's might be ok (if sketchy turns)? But how much for decent turns?

Give me an idea and/or your thoughts :D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
If it's a (rounded) gravel road, not much!

The road to Wellington is a proper road - but with soft shoulders so perhaps (depending on how the clear it) one side could be an option but I would have thought better/easier on the actual road surface (although I guess gravel has a bit of give - eg. ski it without the snow if you didn't care about your gear).

Some of the NZ access roads are still gravel yeah? I should go looking - sure plenty of people have skiied them with varying levels of cover (same is probably true of the Mt Wellington road as well).

Rental skis or your own?

As per above if you didn't care about your gear I am sure you could do it with 0 cover provided it was steep enough (not sure about turning however :D ). Guess I am trying to establish a base line figure/depth for when it wouldn't be that bad an option.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
2 - 5cm minimum
DEBE2DD1-5964-4034-8DAC-D658B00284AE.jpeg
FB3CA989-A3FC-4D86-B442-4A95D97D7B62.jpeg

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Endless Winter
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
It's quite possible to ski on 1cm of snow, but sooner or later you have to stop or turn!
Edit:
If you're doing it at night, it makes for a spectacular light and fireworks show!

Reactions: qwill

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Ok so I went and had a quick Google (specifically for Mt Wellington as that was what got me thinking).

First article I was looking at was this one
https://www.mountainwatch.com/Snow-news/snowboarding-hobart-mt-wellington-tasmania/
Talking about 20cms(+?) in July - two things - first they talk about waiting 11 days for the road to open before heading up - WTF :confused: Why would you wait? Should have hiked up earlier. And the second was if the pic of the cliff drop is real :eek: Hell of a lot more than 20cms at the landing (as you would want to drop that).

Would have been good if these pics were still active https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/mt-wellington.67482/

Anyway, couple of youtube vids

This is a good one - notes 10cms of fresh (doesn't hit tarmac once) but was interesting to note the comment about wishing the road was steeper.

This was another one.

Both talk about driving up - so maybe the got up there BEFORE the road was closed?

Edit - The first clip looks like parked low and walked up the road and then skied back down (see he walk track). If there is snow down to 300 odd meters (as stated) from the summit that's a fair bit of vertical.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass