1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

How much snow?

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Giraffe, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Giraffe

Giraffe First Runs

So we had Baw Baw pegged as the perfect , cheap, into to skiing for our kids. Staying a few nights on mountain.

A week out it's not looking too great. 7cm of man made snow on half of two runs and some very uninspiring snow can pics.

Apparently 28cm is forecast later this week - will this open up another run or two and make it worthwhile? Or am I better off finding other options now?

2. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The forecasts are good. Looks like 20-30cm on Wednesday and maybe a similar amount from Friday arvo, with a slight warming trend in between, maybe some wintery mix earlier on Friday.
    Based on that I would not expect much extra terrain opened till Saturday unless Wednesday ends up 30cm+*.
    I'm sure they'll try there best to open up more terrain, however it's resort access which would be more of a concern for me, recent times have show the road to be closed for large periods after relatively minor snowfall events. Which day are you planning to go up?

*Baw Baw's rolling grass covered runs really only require 30cm packed snow to fully open

Giraffe likes this.
  3. Giraffe

Giraffe First Runs

Thanks for that - planning on going up next Monday. Hoping there is snow on the ground but roads are clear.

You think it will be more skiable then? I'm hoping the Maltese T might be open....

4. Onlybackscratchers

Looks like plenty of weather next week but a bit early to call, hopefully not wintery mix. Road should be ok by Monday.

This arvo's updated forecasts probably worth waiting for, look in the 10-15th weather prediction thread.

Maltese really makes a difference, easier access from accommodation and the premier Champagne run, wish I could guarantee it for you.

Loath using the saying but at the very least the Baw Baw village will be a "Winter Wonderland".

5. Giraffe

Giraffe First Runs

I'm sure they won't mind either way, neither will hubby as he's still unable to ski for another few weeks post broken ankle but I'm hoping to have a bit of a ski. It's been far too long!

Jane Bunn is Forcasting 42cm over the next week so hoping we'll be okay......

I'd love the input of those more familiar with the mountain, do you think this will open up another few runs?

6. Onlybackscratchers

If the forecasts hold I would expect Hut Run from the top and Summit t-bar. Maltese opening mid-week outside of school holidays is not always guaranteed and probably needs every bit of that 42cm as well.

Giraffe likes this.
  7. Giraffe

Giraffe First Runs

Thanks for the input I'll be happy if they open Hut Run right up and Summit - a bit of fun and should hopefully be able to get the kids up the Summit too after a couple of lessons :)

nezumi and Onlybackscratchers like this.
  8. Onlybackscratchers

Looks like you struck gold for this trip. Hope you have a great time and with a bit of luck sunshine later in week.

Giraffe likes this.
  9. Giraffe

Giraffe First Runs

We certainly did! Friday afternoon it wasn't looking too good but magically Saturday and then again Sunday night it opened everything up! I've only been up to Baw Baw a couple of times before but it's the best I've had cover here. Ridge run had barely been skied when we got up at 2pm yesterday and wasn't used to having all the fresh non-compacted snow, caught an edge and ended up burying myself in a half a foot of snow LOL

Onlybackscratchers likes this.