1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

How to Drive in Snow Safely

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by snowtyres, May 11, 2019.

1. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

sly_karma likes this.
  2. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Ummmm .......... A driving in snow report that has zero mention of carrying and fitting chains ??? Shouldn't this be golden tip No.1 for Australian Alpine driving ?

This is the problem with taking advice from overseas sources. Really important local regulations and advice are completely missed. Putting local lives at risk. I would recommend reading local advice and regulations regarding driving in snow.

Below is one of many Australian Guides. And guess what is first and foremost in the advice ?

"You will require the very best WHEEL CHAINS to achieve maximum grip and safety."

And another super important tip. "Practice fitting chains before you leave home to ensure they are the correct size for your tyres"

None of this mentioned in the US guide.

Nuff Said.

http://www.aussiesnow.com.au/drivinginsnow.html

3. fenrir

fenrir Addicted

All the rest of the guide is still relevant, especially the part about recovering from rear wheel slides and driving smoothly. For chains if you are going to visit the fascists at Hotham and Falls you will require diamond pattern chains, otherwise ladder chains will suffice. The most important thing is that the chains fit properly and you can get them on and off when you need to.

4. Astro66

Regardless of relevance. A guide missing the most important factor is a flawed guide.

5. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I thought the advice to watch a yellow light on your dash was seriously crap. The last place you should be looking (well maybe better than the rear window).

6. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wahoo the annual driveling to the snow thread! How quickly can this descend into 10 pages of arguements about the monaro highway.

7. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

From wiki:
    I don't think that's necessarily a bad tip. I also occasionally glance at my ambient temp gauge.

8. snowtyres

The Alpine Resorts Act wheel chain regulations for Victoria are currently being reviewed.
    Future Victorian wheel chain regulations will come from VicRoads and will include a requirement that wheel chains comply with the European ON-V5117 Standard. Ladder chains will not be approved. There is also likely to be a special classification for AWD vehicles fitted with identified winter/snow tyres in relation to wheel chain fitting. Winter/snow tyres will be required to comply with ECE 117.02 snow test and identified by the 3PMSF ‘snow flake’ alpine symbol. Tyres with only the M+S marking are not likely to be recognised as a winter/snow tyre in this new wheel chain classification.

NewTurns likes this.
  9. mx_boarder

Good. There's huge capability variance across the spread of tyres bearing the M+S mark.

10. Astro66

So currently you need to always carry and fit chains when requested. (Except AWD in NSW) I suggest we direct people to snow driving guides that include these mandated regulations. Guiding people to guides that completely ignore mandated regulations is irresponsible and plain dangerous.

I would replace that link in the OP with one that does.

11. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

How they hang onto snow chains though?

12. mx_boarder

No doubt better than a 'performance' road tyre in most cases - more scope for a chain to bite.

But it is important to call out that your Q7 equipped with 295-wide rubber bands ain't a competent snow vehicle because the sidewall shows M+S.

Marty_McSly and Donzah like this.
  13. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

This is probably better advice with the actual regs (well for NSW).

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/drivers/badweather/snowdriving.html

cold wombat, nfip and Astro66 like this.
  14. Astro66

15. Astro66

I say we take off and nuke all Q series Audi's and X series BMW's from space. It's the only way to be sure.

16. mx_boarder

And then who would the tall poppy haters hate - anyone with a more highly specced Subaru? :rolleyes:

CarveMan likes this.
  17. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

1. Make sure to bring your learner driver and give them as long a stint as possible on single lane highways. Ignore the snaky line of traffic behind you.
    2. If you haven’t got a learner with you be sure to drive as slowly as possible anyway. Slow is safe, and the slower you go the safer you are.
    3. But be sure to swing into the path of oncoming traffic on corners. Lanes are for wimps. The only true measure of safe driving is speed.
    4. If someone is overtaking you on a single lane highway make sure to speed up to stop them getting past and then glare at them. Overtaking is illegal, right?
    5. If you do happen to hit slower traffic in front of you whatever you do don’t overtake. Be sure to create a conga line of traffic behind you.
    6. When you hit overtaking lanes make sure to increase your speed by 20 or 30kph. Remember, no one can get past you.

18. Astro66

Please ........ Subarus are for Real Alpine Folk, not Euro-Trash Driving Wannabes.

Funny how NSW resort is sponsored by Subaru. Whilst VIC resorts are sponsored by Euro-Trash. They know where Wanchors congregate. <shakes head>

BTW Thread going swimmingly. :woohoo:

zac150 likes this.
  19. mx_boarder

Dear oh dear.

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  20. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

IIRC ladder chains are not yet banned at falls.

21. Donzah

QED
    Snow sports in Victoria are more elitist wanchor based.

crackson likes this.
  22. currawong

not many locals driving beemers, audis and the like. subies rule for falls creek with relatively more proper 4wds for hotham regulars. fair smattering of other suvs too.

23. Donzah

Mean while at Buller?

24. currawong

the preferred winter haunt of Melbourne based wanchors

25. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Can we just amalgamate last year's thread advertising snow tyres with this one. It would save so much time. Point 9 is the only point @snowtyres wants to make. The rest is pretty much crap and not worth a 'dime' because it is not written for our conditions. The explanations of how to control a front and rear wheel skid will certainly make you feel safe. Who wrote this? Keep steering where you want to go? That is the problem. Over steer causes front end skids just as much as too much speed but it is actually too much steer for the speed that is the problem. You have to take both off but straightening the wheel will do more to improve traction. Points one and two are everyday driving. Point 3 (if your vehicle has it) means your vehicle is doing the job for you and taking power from slipping wheels. My manual actually states it may be necessary to turn this feature off in snow. Point 4. Well that is a nothing. Point 5 I have already mentioned but for all skids you steer the direction of the skid. Point 6, ABS is good but if you are going too fast in snow then you will still not be able to steer around obstacles. Perhaps reducing collision impact speed it the best option in this case. Point 7 was last year's advice from Snowtyres to test your brakes and tyres in resorts. At least this advice tell you to make sure nobody else is around. Point 8 just absolute rubbish, well with respect of steering at least. Were is @Hully ? As for point 9. Snow chains are cheaper and legal. Ladder pattern has had its day and there are better options.

We will wait and see what Vic Roads does. I had some contact with them last year about all this and not convinced things will change that much or at least enough to effect most people. If you can afford to waste your money on a set of fast wearing, use a couple of times in snow condition tyres then buy them. I will get a set when the next ice age comes around.

zac150 likes this.
  26. Hully

Hully One of Us

To be honest, I'm over it and he appears to be a protected species on here.
    Funnily, as much as I protest about these crap postings and a person being involved in a drive to change regulations to suit their commercial benefit, my own vehicle is fitted with 'snowflake' classified tyres which also happen to be an all season the and one of the most popular 4wd tyres in Australia.
    Before regulations are changed forcing more vehicles to fit chains, I know for Falls Creek at least they need to work out who pays and where for all of the extra chain fitting bay room that will be required as there is not enough to accommodate vehicles under the current regs.
    The other thing that I think won't get regulation changes over the line is that in reality there is not a significant and demonstrated safety risk under the current regulations, it's pretty much a perception and a commercially driven initiative.

currawong likes this.
  27. mx_boarder

People seem far less preoccupied with who drives what LOL

28. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

29. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

They use the generic term of traction device. Probably because, I suspect, snowsocks is a particular brand.

30. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Don't over drive your vision.

31. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

I can't see this happening. Who is going to check if a tyre has a snowflake symbol on the side of the road, covered in slush and mud? They would have to clean the side wall and check on all four tyres.
    The best thing that could happen is the wording in the rules is changed so snow socks can be used.

32. Arsas

Arsas One of Us

I LOVE Conga lines :eek:

33. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

1. Lock your door so some ice addict doesn't steal your purse off the passenger seat. @Lady Penelope

crackson likes this.
  34. snowtyres

Textile or fabric snow socks, (Auto socks or Rud Soft Spike etc), are not approved for use as a snow chain in Victoria for 2WD, 4WD or AWD vehicles or in NSW for 2WD vehicles.
    In NSW, a textile or fabric snow sock can be used on any vehicle other than a 2WD because, because at this time, there is no requirement to use any snow chain "or traction device" at all on these types of AWD/4WD vehicles.

refer http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...vsi-57-driving-in-ice-and-snow-conditions.pdf

35. Astro66

The Slushy Machine at Buller makes lots of ice. So perhaps they'll congregate round all the Euro-Trash SUV's and not bother with purses ?

36. Astro66

Some people think they're too good to join a Conga Line. I just think they're crap dancers.

37. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

What’s your beef with European cars, they have been known to make a decent vehicle.....

38. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Yes. Before you even engage gears and start sliding ....

39. Astro66

No beef. Just stealing the urine.

But ............. A new Subie Fossie and Outback actually have much better Standard Equipment than the Equivalent Size Euro Q5 or X3. Yet the Euros cost at least 50% more. The Subies have Vision Based Neural Net Self Driving on the base model. To the best of my knowledge. The Euros do not.

This implies a certain level of status factor. Otherwise, why on earth would you buy the Euro ?

40. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Proper 4wds... Like these ones?

CarveMan and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  41. Astro66

Proper 4WD + Crap driver = Accident Regardless

#Justsayn

Hermannator likes this.
  42. currawong

if it becomes the law and you have an accident and were found to not be compliant then your insurance company, and possibly mr plod, may well be interested

43. Hully

Hully One of Us

That's not me.....:D:D:D:D

44. currawong

sure looks like it ;)

45. Hully

Hully One of Us

A number of years back driving off Falls after working night ski I found myself in a similar predicament in a hairier position..... and vehicle fitted with 'snowflake' tyres. Fortunately able to engage low range and diff lock and reverse out unscathed to head home and change my underpants.
    Moral of the story..... shit happens regardless and I probably was driving a little fast when I hit a black ice patch below the snowline.

46. Tonester

Tonester One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Allow me to be the first.....

47. Tonester

Tonester One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

These are excellent driving to the snow tips!! I will plan to follow all these.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  48. currawong

my worst ever moment on the falls road was just below bogong village on what looked like clear road. i'm guessing it was probably black ice from snow that had come off a car. really grateful that the awd kicked in

49. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Ha Ha, I had never really given this much thought before but find it interesting considering reputations.
    Vic Resorts
    Buller - Mercedes Benz
    Hotham - Audi
    Falls - BMW

NSW Resorts
    Perisher - Subaru
    Thredbo -Toyota

Humble little Thredbo, the Toyota of the skiing world. The everyday man's resort, no airs and graces just solid, dependable and hard working. Blue collar stuff.

Can anyone think of more appropriate vehicle partnerships for the top 5 resorts? This'll be fun.

50. Donzah

I'd flip Thredbo to VW and that would be about right... (maybe range rover at Buller)