Tutorial How to format a listing in Gear Swap so it sells -- plus Price Guide

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Last update: April 2019

NOTE for new members.
Posting new ads in Gear Swap is restricted to established members only. Read the requirements here.
---------------------------------

How to format a new listing in Gear Swap so it sells

Lets start with some basics;

Title Prefix
All titles must include a category prefix - This enables easy sorting by prospective buyers. There is a prefix for most categories. If your item does not match any category then use a generic term such as For Sale, Wanted, Swap or Trade.

Title Description
Description should include as many of the following elements as possible;

- Gender (if applicable)
- Plain-English Product Name (basically a noun = eg; Jacket)
- Brand or Manufacturer name (eg: Columbia)
- Item name (eg: Bugaboo)
- Salient specifications such as size or length (eg: Size M)
- Price (may include price basis descriptors such as 'ono' or 'ea.' )
- Location (specifically Skis & Boards where pickup is preferred over posting - otherwise this is optional)

Putting it together...

Clothing: Mens Columbia Bugaboo Jacket, size L $85 ono - Newcastle

Image Uploads

Gear Swap allows for image upload by all registered members. Please use the 'Upload Image/File' button when posting your item. If you expect to sell it - then upload a photo! Offers without a photo are FAIL.

Editing
Thread starters my edit the Opening Posts (OP) at any time. Use the 'Edit' link at the end of your OP. Threads can not be deleted (see Marking as Sold).

'Watch' your Thread
After you have created your thread, make sure you 'Watch' your thread. This will ensure you get notifications when people post a reply (anyone asking questions has some level of interest, reply quickly for your best chance of a sale). You may select to receive notifications by email or just notification alert icons (when logged in).

Marking as Sold
Select 'Edit Thread' from the 'Thread Tools' menu (which is immediately above the OP) and change the prefix to 'Sold'. Please change only the title prefix and not the original title. Only the person who started the thread can edit the prefix.

Why
Threads are kept and marked as sold rather than deleted. This enables a record of what does and does not sell and what fair value is for similar items.

Pricing Guide (shamelessly stolen from TGR)
Start at 50~60% of current online price for the new product.
subtract 10% per year of age*
subtract 10~20% for visible signs of wear & tear
add 10~30% for rare or high-demand item

If your pricing is unrealistic and completely out of the ball park - expect the locals to let you know - also it simply won't sell.

* NOTE: If your item is fast approaching a decade old and is not a rare or sought after item - then it's very probably worthless junk. Brightly coloured retro 70's & 80's ski clothing is the exception..

Last edited:

will_dawson

Hard Yards
Jun 1, 2014
hey everyone,
just trying to post a thread but it is telling me i need to 'select a prefix'...

please explain?

Much Appreciated.

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
What Cold Wombat said, for a blank screen it looks like this
gear_swap.jpg

The (No prefix) is the drop down shown above. You must select one.

Reactions: will_dawson

Nicklas

First Runs
May 11, 2015
Title Description - location too?
Would be great if each ad had location in title too. Especially when it comes to skis etc which can't really be posted.

D.PAN

Early Days
Jun 25, 2020
Wollongong
@Richard

Hi Richard,

Just wondering if I am allowed to create another thread to sell the snowboard boots?

Or should I use the existing one until sold, then create another one?

Could not find any rule about that?

D.PAN

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Hi Richard,

Just wondering if I am allowed to create another thread to sell the snowboard boots?

Or should I use the existing one until sold, then create another one?

Could not find any rule about that?

D.PAN

Go for it,

You have full access to Gear Swap now, so start a thread for each item you wish to sell.

Reactions: D.PAN and skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass