1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

how to get to blue cow

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by vgye, Jun 16, 2019.

1. vgye

vgye First Runs

Hi All,
    I've booked a ski lesson for my kids at blue cow. The question I have is how do I get to blue cow by driving?
    Thanks.

SMSkier likes this.
  2. SMSkier

SMSkier One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You don’t drive there.

When Blue Cow is open for skiing , you can get the ski tube from Perisher. Or, you can get the tube from the base station at Bullocks Flat on The Alpine Way.

Currently not enough snow at BC. That will change as the resort makes snow and the natural stuff starts to occur.

Or, if there is adequate snow and the relevant runs open, you can ski there from Perisher or Guthega.

Sounds like the tube is your best option once it’s open.

Richard, piolet and seak like this.
  3. vgye

vgye First Runs

Thanks for your reply. Me and my husband cannot ski. and we need to take 4 kids to the lesson. So you saying we cannot drive there at all ? (thought would be easier to drive up as there will be lots gears to carry for 4 kids).

4. B-Dub

B-Dub Hard Yards

Nope, definitely can't drive there. If you can’t ski across from either Perisher or Guthega then your only option is to get the ski tube.

You do have the choice in getting it from either bullocks flat or from Perisher. You can drive to either of these places, Bullocks flat would probably be easiest (plenty of parking and don’t need to drive up the hill and struggle to get a park).

The terminal at Blue Cow is right on the snow, about a dozen steps from getting off the train. There’s also plenty of places for you and your hubby to hang out above the tube stop.

nezumi likes this.
  5. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Blue Cow is a really nice place to hang out if you aren't skiing, particularly whilst waiting for the kids lessons. As others have mentioned you can't drive up to Blue Cow, so getting the train from Bullocks Flat is usually the best option, as it avoids driving up into the snow (most of the time). It's a lot easier than it seems, seamless almost. Make sure you get on the train at Bullocks Flat at least 30 minutes before the start of the lesson.

There is a panoramic outdoor balcony and indoor seating at Blue Cow terminal on the upper level as well as a nice outdoor terrace. They is also a bar, bistro, coffee shop and in previous years and Indian take away as well. You can see right across to Guthega and Mt Blue Cow on a clear day. The Ski School isn't too far a walk from the station at Blue Cow, up the hills.

Ted Harper likes this.
  6. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

However, getting on at Bullocks will mean buying passes for the non skiers and paying extra for the kids. Perisher they should be able to ride the train for free. I have heard of ticket checks but you’d have to be unlucky.

Alternatively, swap the kids lessons to Smiggins, park right beside the snow. Would be my choice.

Snowy Joey, Ozgirl, nezumi and 3 others like this.
  7. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The cost if the Tube is a bit excessive for a family of four on top of the lessons.

If you have a car then consider smiggins or thredbo

oldgeezer likes this.
  8. chicski

*echo*

dawooduck and nfip like this.
  9. gareth_oau

Except when I say it, it has credibility ;)

10. chicski

Of course. Mansplaining.

Chaeron, Telemark Phat, IAB and 7 others like this.
  11. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Sorry, I should have noticed how many you were taking up! Driving to Perisher, even with the toll gate, would end up much cheaper and easier than the tube from Bullocks Flat.

nezumi likes this.
  12. gareth_oau

Actually I think Thredbo would be a far better choice and give parents many more options. I just didnt want to come straight out and say it LOL

13. vgye

vgye First Runs

Thanks for those whom replied above. We brought the Costco voucher for kids which is $209 (quite cheap as it includes gear hire etc.) . But didn't realise the lesson is at blue cow till we book it. So We just want to find out if there's really a way to drive up (understand snowchain required).

14. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us

Blue Cow doesn't have any road access full stop. There is no road or carpark at Blue Cow - it is impossible to access by Car. The closest you can drive to is Perisher Valley, which requires snow chains, and then catch the train from Perisher Valley to Blue Cow.

15. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The "ski tube" is a train:
    [​IMG]
    So it doesn't matter if you can't ski.

piolet likes this.
  16. gareth_oau

The ski tube will be a nice little adventure for your kids on a train though a tunnel inside a mountain

17. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Try to get a front seat

Ultra likes this.
  18. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Like the others have said you need to get to the ski tube to get to Blue Cow; either from Perisher or down at Bullocks Flat.

If you have a 4WD, then you don't need to worry about snow chains.

If you have a 2WD, you need to carry chains if you travel in the National Park. Providing there hasn't just been a blizzard, you don't need chains to get to Bullocks Flat as it is outside of the National Park and is generally not snow affected. If you are driving up to Perisher, you'll need chains which can be hired at Jindabyne. You'll need to fit them when directed to do so.

If you're coming up from Bullocks Flat, you need to change trains at Perisher to get to Blue Cow. You just walk across the platform.

One more thing; you'll need to pay for National Park entry. Coming up from Bullocks Flat, it's included in your ski tube ticket. Driving through to Perisher, you need to pay at the Park entry.

19. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

@Lady Penelope :D

20. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Context: There is categorically no driving to Blue Cow because it is in the center of Perisher resort - permission to develop the Blue Cow area was granted in the 80's on the basis that the ONLY access to it was via the Ski Tube train. Thus, no roads.

As others have indicated. For first time visitors you are best parking at Bullocks Flat as there is no chains and no snow driving required.

Kids should travel to Bullocks in car with their ski clothing already on & wearing sneakers. Take a carry bag/backpack for all the kids shoes, plus spare socks, plus any spare gloves & at minimum some spare dry t-shirts. (First time on-snow kids always find a way to get wet and cold.) All the kids will likely want to put normal shoes back on at end of day before you make the trip back to Bullocks on the ski tube.

Kids can put ski boots on loose (do not buckle up) either in the car park -or- in the terminal whilst waiting for the ski tube. (get the front if possible).

Ensure you have warm clothing and weatherproof(ish) shoes for yourself - or hire 'apre boots'. Each child will need to carry their own skis if they are 6yo or older. This requires a bit of technique at any age - suggest practice carrying skis the night before. (If you have 4 under 6yo then expect Mum and Dad to resemble 3rd world mules and be in a world of pain!)

Ensure you leave early for Bullocks flat. As a first time snow excursion for the family, the whole exercise of getting from Jindabyne to Blue Cow and then marshaling the kids into a lesson will take a minimum of 90 minutes and likely just over 2 hours. Everything will be unfamiliar and takes a lot of energy to get a young family organised. You will be surrounded by hundreds of people who know the routine and appear to be doing it easy. Divide and conquer, designate managing two kids each for the whole day with 'all of the things'.

Take a separate bag/backpack with packed lunch and/or plenty of snacks (bite size chocolate bars never taste better than when at the snow) - otherwise expect to spend $200~$300+ (inc alcohol for M&D) to feed a family of six for the day at the Blue Cow center.

It's going to be a day to remember! There will likely be tears from someone at some stage too.

21. Gimped

Gimped One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Nice summary Richard :)

nezumi likes this.
  22. vgye

vgye First Runs

Thank you very much for the tips.

Richard likes this.
  23. Richard

your welcome, all of this applies should you change lessons to Smiggins and/or decide to drive to Perisher or Smiggin's car park.

The only small difference is putting ski boots on in an open exposed car park without getting socks wet is a nuanced snow-goers skill. Wet socks = cold feet = miserable children. This is one of the small things that makes a big difference to your day. If the day is dry and clear it's easier, but if the day is wet and cold - keeping feet dry during boot-shoe transitions needs a plan.

Chaeron likes this.
  24. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

You could swap the Costco vouchers for Thredbo vouchers. From what you have said above I think that this would be an easier, and cheaper, option.

25. gareth_oau

Crawler LOL

26. Legs Akimbo

It won't apply to the OP because, as non skiers, they can be a junk depot for all detritus, but if everyone is skiing there are reasonably priced lockers at Blue Cow where you can dump street shoes, lunches, spare gloves and layers etc.

Richard likes this.
  27. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future! Ski Pass: Gold

Not necessarily from one of the kids...

nezumi likes this.
  28. Gimped

Gimped One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Too many memories of going skiing with 6-9 year olds!!!

29. skull

skull One of Us

No don’t go to Thredbo, Perisher is better

30. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'd check and double check what's included in the voucher - you may well be better off parking at Bullocks Flat and taking the ski tube (train) up to Blue Cow. There is very little information available online about the offer (par for the course for Costco), but according to the people on Oz Bargain, the voucher includes ski tube. This may mean ski tube from Bullocks Flat (accessible by almost all vehicles except in extreme conditions) or just the normal inclusion of ski tube access between Perisher Front Valley and Blue Cow.

31. Richard

another with crayon work... nice.

@VSG is the benchmark for crayon action should you be looking to strengthen your game.

32. Richard

@vgye

I'd be looking to confirm this. If Ski Tube is included with the Costco voucher then that definitely makes Ski Tube from Bullocks to Blue Cow the easiest and most economic way to get there.

33. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Work PC plus Snipping Tool - best option I had (and for some reason, no ability to type in the forsaken thing!)

Richard likes this.
  34. OlCol

OlCol Hard Yards

If you are ok to drive to perisher you can catch the ski tube for free from perisher. Between blue cow and perisher there is no fee.
    If you get the ski tube from bullocks flat to perisher/blue cow you have to pay the return fare which includes park entry.
    You have to way up the cost of park entry for your car, and the likely road conditions against the cost of ski tube from bullocks.

35. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

^^ this. Position yourself where the front of the train will be before it arrives, and elbow your way in if necessary - you need to be right at the very front of the train. Probably easier to do coming back down than going up. The kids can stand next to the driver's cabin and see the whole tunnel. They'll love it. You might find it entertaining as well.

36. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Wrong - technically you must carry a valid lift pass to ride from perisher to blue cow. so you are risking it.

Yes even if the costco voucher includes it, you are still looking at a hefty fee for the parents.

Honestly maybe decide on the day if you can't swap to Smigs

37. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not sure thats the case anymore?

38. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think years ago they used to check.

Whilst they may still say this (but I don't think they do), the reality is (and I have traveled that train hundreds of times over the last 6/7 years) There is ZERO problem with driving up parking and catching the train. I know many people who do just this, without having ski tube passes.

I wouldn't rush to shift the lessons to Smigs, both are great choices for beginners, and bluecow has the added advantage of a large F&B location that mum and dad can wait at for the kids :)

39. was June daily watching

was June daily watching One of Us

While I agree about the advantages of BC terminal, there’s a cost issue with the tube, and Smiggins car park is very handy.
    The parents can hang out upstairs at Smiggins, and the view is ok.
    We don’t want to scare people off.

nezumi likes this.
  40. Ozgirl

Sorry- yes i think risk is worth it. However i just wanted to correct the phrasing.

Jonathan_P and Roymond like this.
  41. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

So kind.

Chaeron likes this.
  42. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Slightly improved version. The points the first poster made are stil valid.

Blue is how far you drive to Bullocks Flat (start of the SkiTube)
    Red is the drive, often on snowy icey roads on the last half... to Perisher.

Save yourself grief and take the SkiTube all the time.

43. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You might want to check where the kids gear hire is from. Probably from a Perisher resort outlet. If that is the case they have outlets at both Bullocks flat (bottom station of the skitube) and at the Perisher centre, which is at the base of perisher slopes. There is no rental outlet at Blue cow itself.

44. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Thank you, @Marty_McSly . Yes, the skitube can be a real adventure (especially when it begins to fill with smoke!).

@vgye , if you’re not overwhelmed by all this advice one final suggestion: please, please make sure your children wear long, thin socks pulled up so there are no crinkles in them (ski socks if possible - Aldi at Cooma may still have some). Thick woollen socks: No! (They will chafe and your kids will get very sore legs). Short ankle socks: No! (Same reason). I agree with others about trying to swap to Smiggins if you can - easier access (you can either drive or catch the skitube then the free shuttle bus), and plenty of options for the parents. Otherwise, Blue Cow does offer some nice scenery! Have fun, maybe book some lessons yourselves!

skull and Ted Harper like this.
  45. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I humbly yield the floor to a skill far greater than my own.

Richard likes this.
  46. Aractus

Aractus Early Days

Here's a pic of the offer:

[​IMG]

Children under 14 is the same except $209.99 and hire includes helmet (obviously, it's required for all child lessons). The key points: (1.) Hire is from Bullocks Flat. (2.) Lessons in Blue Cow. (3.) Book 14 days in advance. Checking the prices on perisher.com.au it is a significant discount (adult $399, child under 14 $302). However the real clincher if only the kids are skiing is the tube. Here's the "VSG map" but with distance and time:

[​IMG]

The price for 2 adults for 2 return trips is an eye-watering $340 ($85 per day per adult!). So totally understand, yes you can drive if you're comfortable with dropping off the kids at Bullocks Flat - you can just drive directly back and up to Perisher, park entry for 2 days will be $58 but that's still a lot less than $340, and you can drive directly back to Jindy at the end of the day with the kids from Perisher. It leaves you $282 to spend at Wildbrumby on the way. ;) Plus you can go to Blue Cow as the tube is free from Perisher to Blue Cow and back. Only clincher is you'll need to pick up the kids from Bullocks Flat on day 2 as that's where the gear needs to be returned, and it needs to be returned by 5PM since that's when Perisher resort ski hire shops close (unlike Jindy/Cooma that are open late) so they definitely can't keep skiing until last lifts at 4:30 on day 2!

nezumi and Ozgirl like this.
  47. Legs Akimbo

I would be very surprised if the kids join their lesson at Bullocks Flat. If the lesson is at Blue Cow that is where they will join it.

48. chicski

Hire gear is at Bullocks and coupon can only be exchanged there. Parents need to learn to ski!

nezumi likes this.
  49. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Just the throw a cat amongst the pigeons....it would be so much easier if the Costco voucher was exchanged for a Thredbo voucher. Costco are happy to exchange everything.

Why Thredbo? You can drive there saving the cost of the Skitube, the ski hire is besides the beginners slope and the parents can easily watch the kids.

You would drive past the Skitube and so you could drop in there and learn the ‘lie of the land’ so that you could go the Perisher and Blue Cow in 2020.

50. Ozgirl

Some one makes some sense! LOL

nezumi likes this.