How to get to Myoko from Tokyo

timwiti

First Runs
Sep 2, 2015
Tour operator says coach will take 6 hours.
Seems way to long.

Is the train a better option?
Landing 07.30 Narita
Leaving 16.40 Haneda mid to late jan.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

timwiti

First Runs
Sep 2, 2015
Priority is time.
I know there are options for train and bus. I was interested in hearing from people's experiences and recommendations. Couldn't find that on Google.
Cheers

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I changed the title from moyoko & tokoyo to Myoko & Tokyo, otherwise people may not know what it's supposed to be.....

From Narita, the easiest is by a variety of snow specific bus/mini bus options, but yes, it can take 5.5-6 hours. Takes a while to put chains on a bus. And plus if it's been snowing and it's late night, you can have 20-30cm on the road.

From Narita, it's train to Tokyo or Ueno, then Shinkansen(bullet train) to Nagano( then train) or Iiyama(then bus or taxi). Takes about 4 hours.

Reactions: LMB

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
The bus is boring but as mentioned easy and relatively stress free. Getting there yourself via the shink is far more interesting.
my 2cents worth would be; with young kids = bus, no kids or older kids = train. Others could easily make a case for the opposite.
cheers

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Pink

One of Us
Mar 25, 2014
Shink to Joetsu-Myoko? That has to be more fun than sitting on a bus from Narita.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
My two cents worth, if your on that useless J* flight from Cooly to Narita use these guys
http://ixsmtravel.com/transportation.html?resort_city=863
They pick you up from Narita and drop you at your hotel door at about 0200. I've used them and was on the first lifts(or shuttle) that day. All depends if you want to overnight in Tokyo or get to the snow ASAP.
Even moreso , with Jstar landing at the LCCT nowadays

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Maybe
812645197_1279077.gif

Maybe not
lebron-james-gif.gif

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Back to the OP's question:
You have a few choices and which is best depends on when you arrive, your group and your priorities.

By Train - look at http://www.hyperdia.com/
If you arrive late in the day you cannot get to Myoko Kogen by train till the next day.
It is the quickest and usually the cheapest.
You will need to get your accommodation to pick you up from the station or get a taxi.
IMO changing at Ueno is easier than Tokyo even though you are changing between Keisei and JR who are different train companies with different stations. The stations are actually closer than the NEX and shinkansen parts of the JR Tokyo station.
Time taken depends on when you arrive. Some times of day you get good connections. Others you will be waiting a while.

By Direct Transfer on a coach
These are available a few times a day.
There are coaches that wait for the evening flights even when they are delayed. Painful if your flight is on time and another flight is late.
If you get to Myoko Kogen in the early ours of the next morning if you arrive in the evening. Not worth doing if you then sleep in. But if you can sleep on the coach this is a good option.
Takes longer and is a little more expensive than the train.
google something appropriate and you will find them. There may be 2 options but it may just be someone on selling the same service.

Taxis
There are also direct taxi/shuttle services.
Have not used them from the airport but going to the airport they are pretty convenient.
Similar amount of time to the coaches - maybe a little less but not much.
They are a bit more expensive.
The local tourist office organised this for us a few years ago.

Buses from Tokyo
I don't have any details but have read somewhere that there are direct overnight buses from somewhere in Tokyo (Shinjuku?).
From memory these are the cheapest option. If anyone has some info it would be good to know more.

Car
You can always hire a car and drive.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Wouldn't landing time of day be the deciding factor?
am = shink etc
pm = bus/shuttle direct to door for 1-2am arrival when trains may not run?

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
And now for the proper answer, Train to Nagano then over the pedestrian bridge and down the stairs to Nissan car hire, pick up a car (making sure you have an international drivers licence in Japan) and drive to Myoko. Having a car there is great to get into town and the best sushi places ever and to get between the two main ski areas.

If you get a GPS get them to show you how to enter the phone number of the place you want to get to, it only works in Japan but it works really well. Once you enter the phone number the GPS will take you to the address of that phone number.

Reactions: mrtonya

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
And now for the proper answer, Train to Nagano then over the pedestrian bridge and down the stairs to Nissan car hire, pick up a car (making sure you have an international drivers licence in Japan) and drive to Myoko. Having a car there is great to get into town and the best sushi places ever and to get between the two main ski areas.

If you get a GPS get them to show you how to enter the phone number of the place you want to get to, it only works in Japan but it works really well. Once you enter the phone number the GPS will take you to the address of that phone number.
Except that there are more than two main ski areas. LOL

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
You mean there's others apart from Akakura Kanko and Suginohara? :out:

final.gif

There's also car rental at the new JoetsuMyoko Station.

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
We are going to Myoko for a week in march, and land at Narita at 6.30pm.

I'd love to rent a car for the duration to get around the resorts amd get there instead of train given we land at night and want to ski the next day. Driven in Japan once before when staying in furano (but this was pre kids back in the day!).

Is it easy and cheap enough to rent a 4wd or 2wd with chains from Narita? I shoud add that we have two 4 year olds and a 6 month old. Any recommendations for cheapish car rental companies? Tocoo showed no availability for anything - perhaps as its too far out.

All car rental posts I've seen seem to suggest renting from Nagano. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

So pumped for this trip. I hope the family love riding Japan as much as I do!

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Generally you don't get chains - you get winter tyres fitted. If you hire in Nagano these are free but charged extra in Tokyo/Narita. If you get GPS/Navi with English it's easy to find your way.

I'd just get to Nagano your first night. Pick up the car first thing in the morning and you'll be in the car park at your hotel by 10-10.30am. Drop your bags, get yourself sorted and have an afternoon ski to ease yourself in.

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Thanks for the tip. Narita express and then shink to Nagano? I think the kids will love that. Was just worried about travelling late at night with them after a long flight but should be ok.

Is red warehouse suitable for a family with 3 kids?

Cheers

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
It is quite a long drive from Narita to Nagano. And not sure that I would be that keen to do it with the kids straight of a flight. Though that said we have got a hire car at Vancouver straight of a flight to go to Whislter when my kids were 5 and 6.

Driving will take a lot, longer than taking the train. Last train that will get you to Nagano that night leaves Narita at about 20.30. The trains are nice and relatively spacious.

Forget 2wd with chains. 4wd with winter tyres is a much better option.

Not sure how you will go with getting a baby seat for the 6 month old.

Look at http://www.hyperdia.com/ for train times.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
Definitely take the train to Nagano no point driving from Tokyo. Look at Nisan Car Hire located just outside the train station.

No need for chains, driving on snow in Japan is nothing like here, still have to be careful but far dryer so more grip. It always felt weird driving at 80kph on snow covered roads.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Definitely take the train to Nagano no point driving from Tokyo. Look at Nisan Car Hire located just outside the train station.

No need for chains, driving on snow in Japan is nothing like here, still have to be careful but far dryer so more grip. It always felt weird driving at 80kph on snow covered roads.
... but then again, you sometimes are driving in 25cm of fallen snow on the road, particularly in the evenings when there's no snow clearing...

Four!

Hard Yards
Oct 20, 2014
Perth WA
For the Iiyama to Myoko shuttle bus. Has anyone had luck locating a timetable with cost and travel time? Found this Japanese site http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp/ but I don't read Japanese :(

Just wanting to compare Shink to Iiyama/bus versus Shink to Nagano/train

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
For the Iiyama to Myoko shuttle bus. Has anyone had luck locating a timetable with cost and travel time? Found this Japanese site http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp/ but I don't read Japanese :(

Just wanting to compare Shink to Iiyama/bus versus Shink to Nagano/train

Try using Google translate. Type the URL in Google, then select ''translate this page'". It doesn't always work, but has generally proved pretty useful for me for just this sort of thing.
eg. here

Four!

Hard Yards
Oct 20, 2014
Perth WA
Try using Google translate. Type the URL in Google, then select ''translate this page'". It doesn't always work, but has generally proved pretty useful for me for just this sort of thing.
eg. here
In this instance unfortunately google and bing don't translate adequately to help much

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
The timetable for the new Iiyama-Akakura (via Madarao) shuttle is not in there. Whether it's still going ahead for this season I don't know.

As a rule the local transport companies don't put up new timetables/routes until they are actually operating.

To be honest I think the Nagano-Myokokogen connection is still probably going to be quicker anyway. A connecting bus from JoetsuMyoko Station would be nice but I wouldn't hold my breath. They tried to do that with a Nagano-Akakura bus but hardly anyone used it.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
... but then again, you sometimes are driving in 25cm of fallen snow on the road, particularly in the evenings when there's no snow clearing...
Yep done that, one trip we did 2000 km traveling around over 3 weeks in all sorts of conditions, made me a much better snow driver but I do feel the snow here is a lot harder to drive on.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Yep done that, one trip we did 2000 km traveling around over 3 weeks in all sorts of conditions, made me a much better snow driver but I do feel the snow here is a lot harder to drive on.
In my experience the rubber makes a big difference. Japan has proper snow tyres on the rentals. Australia has summer tyres or M&S tyres, while the USA has all season or M&S tyres. You can't beat a true snow tyre for grip.

Reactions: skichanger

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
We are going to Myoko for a week in march, and land at Narita at 6.30pm.

I'd love to rent a car for the duration to get around the resorts amd get there instead of train given we land at night and want to ski the next day. Driven in Japan once before when staying in furano (but this was pre kids back in the day!).

Is it easy and cheap enough to rent a 4wd or 2wd with chains from Narita? I shoud add that we have two 4 year olds and a 6 month old. Any recommendations for cheapish car rental companies? Tocoo showed no availability for anything - perhaps as its too far out.

All car rental posts I've seen seem to suggest renting from Nagano. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

So pumped for this trip. I hope the family love riding Japan as much as I do!
It's a very long day for the kids, I would consider sleeping the night at Narita.
Get off plane, free shuttle to hotel 5-10 minutes away, good sleep, breakfast in hotel, free shuttle back to Narita airport, train to tokyo, then shink to Nagano collect car and be in Myoko by early afternoon. You and the kids would arrive relaxed and happy. Sort kids gear and lessons etc that afternoon, early night and into it the next day.

Last edited:

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Yeah agree it's going to be a long day. We've decided we will do the shink to Nagano and sleep there. They might have a little sleep on the train if tired, and will sleep on the plane at least.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass