Tutorial How to post images on these forums.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
LAST EDIT and correct information: 17 June 2021
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two methods to posting an image on these forums, Upload & Link

But first, a couple of ground points;

1) All registered members have permission to upload images into public threads. There are no restrictions for uploading images.

2) Only Gold & Silver members (subscription accounts) may upload images into Private Messages.

Method 1: UPLOAD from computer or phone
All registered members may upload images using the 'Upload Pic/File' button. This process is very similar to Facebook and other social media platforms. The button looks like this;
1gfaf+.png

Full Size Images & Thumbnails
Once your image has been uploaded you may choose to post it as either a Thumbnail or a Full Size image. In most cases we highly recommend using Full Image. If you make no selection, then the image will insert as Full by default.
1623888695063.png

1623888557835.png

WAIT until thumbnail is processed
With very large files you will need to wait until the thumbnail is fully processed before you may post your image. See next...

Adding Images to an Existing Post
-When editing an existing post, find the upload button by first clicking the More button.

Upload Restrictions
- Each image upload is limited to10MB file size*
- You may only upload a maximum of 5 images per post.
- Most common image formats are allowed;
  • JPEG
  • PNG
  • GIF
  • WEBP
  • HEIF image file types all may be uploaded
Allowed extensions .jpeg .jpg .jpe .png .gif .webp .heif

NOTE: Portable Document Format & Text files may also be uploaded (allowed extensions .pdf .txt)

* About Large Image Files
10MB is a fair size image and uploads greater than 4MB may take some time to process depending on your Internet connection -- whether you are on wi-fi at home or in a public place, or using your phone's 3G/4G data connection. There are many variables and a 10MB image may take upwards of 1 minute to fully upload.

Mobile Phone Note
Uploading to these forums from you phone is generally a tad slower process than a modern social media app. This is because the image resize processing is done after the full size image is uploaded to our servers. (A modern app resizes first before upload, which is much faster. These forums are a website and not a phone application and as such resizing an image first on your phone is not available to us.)

About Animated Gifs
Annimated gifs are now supported. You may also embed animated gifs from Imgur or Gify as a Media link.

Questions or trouble getting it to work?
Ask below.

=========================================================
Method 2: LINK image with a image web address (URL)
All registered members can insert a link to an image that is hosted here on ski.com.au or elsewhere on the web, using the exact web address (URL) of the image. Once you have copied the url of an image, you paste it with the image button - watch this video;

Watch the video for an example on how to LINK an image (Method 2).

This method is how most of the images you see on our forums are inserted.

A good tutorial on how to find and copy the correct web address (URL) of an image that you have found elsewhere on the web may be found here;
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-the-URL-for-Pictures

Notes about online Photo & Document Storage Services

There are more steps involved with linking from a cloud host. If you are on a mobile phone and have the storage service on your phone - it's generally much easier to simply choose to upload, than link.

However, if you wish to link instead of upload we have created some tutorials to demonstrate the process from the following online storage services;

Questions or trouble getting it to work?
Ask below.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarveMan

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
There may be instructions for this elsewhere that I have missed, but I'd love to know how to embed an image from Instagram. I see others do it seamlessly, but whenever I do it I get the broken image icon or a whole lot of HTML script, sometimes with the picture but usually not.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
With Instagram, it's the the same as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo and a myriad of other 'media' services, you simply paste the 'share' link using the button icon that looks like two strips of film.

I'm on tablet so can't screen grab just the selection I need.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Please excuse ignorance. How do you post photos from a mobile phone? It seems some are doing it but I have no clue. Any advice appreciated.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Please excuse ignorance. How do you post photos from a mobile phone? It seems some are doing it but I have no clue. Any advice appreciated.
same same.
just click on upload pic/file and browse choose your source eg camera or document (mines Samsung / Android)

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass